or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S

Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S

post #1 of 135
As widely rumored prior to its announcement, the iPhone 5s will sport biometric fingerprint security with a new feature Apple is calling "Touch ID," a seamless mode of authentication built directly into the phone's home button.

Touch ID

The system is comprised of a flat sapphire crystal, stainless steel detection ring and fingerprint sensing array, all built into the tactile iPhone 5s home button.

Apple is looking to position the new technology as a smarter way to secure a user's iPhone, noting many device owners use simply passcodes or none at all.

The home button packs in a 500ppi sensor capable of scanning sub-dermal layers of skin from a variety of angles, resulting in a more detailed, three-dimensional map of a fingerprint. The technology is, according to Apple, able to recognize multiple fingerprints, indicating that it may be used to give specific permissions to specific users.

Touch ID

"All fingerprint [data] is encrypted," said Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, "and secured inside a secure enclave. It's never available to other to other software. It's never uploaded to Apple's servers or backed up to iCloud."

Whereas the features of the iPhone 5C continually leaked up to Tuesday's announcement, the iPhone 5S remained something of a mystery. Only late into the run-up to its unveiling did the more concrete elements of the expected fingerprint sensor begin to emerge.

Just days before Tuesday's reveal, analysts were predicting that the addition of a fingerprint sensor would likely boost mobile commerce and give Apple a leg up in security.

Touch ID can be used for passcodes to unlock the device as well as for iTunes account access, perhaps a first step into mobile payment authentication. Multiple fingerprints can be recognized by the system, which will allow for multi-user access.

Touch ID

The fingerprint sensor module is thought to be the product of Apple's $356 million acquisition of AuthenTec in 2012.
post #2 of 135

But why didn't they demo this maybe key feature??!! Uncertain it would work?

post #3 of 135
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post
Uncertain it would work?

Yeah, that's obviously why.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #4 of 135
Will it work flawlessly? Sure hope so.
post #5 of 135

12 months for this?  Stock price is going to get crushed.  

post #6 of 135

"Stop eating so many chips, Dave. I can't read your fingerprint."

post #7 of 135
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Come off it.

post #8 of 135

Man, was this disappointing or what? A year, they had a year and they come up with a fingerprint sensor that is good for nothing except unlocking you phone? This is all Apple is capable of? Really?

post #9 of 135

The failnoters are out early today!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #10 of 135

Looks like the analyst was right about the home button being convex, sort of... the ring looks slightly raised and the button although recessed, is not concave...at least from the look of these photos.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #11 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Man, was this disappointing or what? A year, they had a year and they come up with a fingerprint sensor that is good for nothing except unlocking you phone? This is all Apple is capable of? Really?

Uh, where were you?  They came up with different colors.  Surely that took a lot of thought.  R&D budget hasnt gone up 400% in two years for nothing.

post #12 of 135
Quote:

I share your "meh" feeling, but I'm guessing it will take Apple some time to get TouchID working flawlessly before they implement new APIs in iOS 7.1 or 7.2 or even 8. 

New APIs would allow third-parties to access the scanner for other uses.

post #13 of 135
Quote:

Get out more often.

It's a solid update.  You want something that tries to do everything, but does nothing well go to Android.  I'll take solid updates that actually work and enhance usability without being cumbersome any day.  Outside, the appearance is the same.  Inside, it's all different.

Sheesh... haters going to hate.

post #14 of 135

I too agree that it was a bit strange that this feature was not demoed. It's not like it would have taken somebody a long time to put their finger on the home button, so everybody could have seen how this feature works in the real world.

post #15 of 135
Underwhelmed

Definitely sticking with my iPhone 4S "unlocked / jailbroken"
post #16 of 135
Quote:

Of course it will. The stock price is crushed for anything less than the full power of 20 Mac pros with a 4k level camera, 2000 level sensitive display, battery that lasts at least 1 month on a full charge no matter what you are doing, 15 size options and all for $100 off contract. And everyone is getting one in the first hour of launch day guaranteed.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #17 of 135

Oh, I also shorted AAPL towards the end, so I'm sitting here smiling at the moment.:lol:

post #18 of 135

Here come the AAPL panic sellers.  Go get your asses out of this market!  Hope you lost your shirts.

post #19 of 135
Originally Posted by georgegiorgio View Post
Underwhelmed

Thanks for telling everyone you don't understand what was released.

post #20 of 135

Still, the processor is good. 64 bit is good. And the motion coprocessor looks useful. I'll give them that. But the rest of the phone is a huge disappointment. The fingerprint is a gimmick without NFC. The processor would be good for true multitasking, but for true multitasking you need a bigger screen, so you can have two apps open on the same screen. That's why you need a bigger screen! Which Apple doesn't want to make!

post #21 of 135
Quote:

Walking before running. Work out any kinks and then expand further. Watch and see how it's done.

post #22 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come off it.

Stock market agrees with me, getting pummeled as this non event gets absorbed.  12 months for this?  Joke and a half and Cook is the court jester.

post #23 of 135
Quote:

This article is not everything. There's also major changes to the processor and cameras

post #24 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Oh, I also shorted AAPL towards the end, so I'm sitting here smiling at the moment.:lol:

Good for you. I hope you make a lot of money. I don't have the trading program opened. Is it at 400 already? :))

post #25 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

This article is not everything. There's also major changes to the processor and cameras

I said that already. Cameras I don't care but processor is good. In fact is very, very good. I hope it has 2 Gb Ram.

post #26 of 135

So all that the that the ID Thingy can do right now is unlock your iPhone and open your iTunes account.  WOW !!!!  Gotta do more than that.  I have about 100+ websites that request a password; the ID Thingy does nothing for those?  Will it ever?

post #27 of 135
Quote:

Still, the processor is good. 64 bit is good. And the motion coprocessor looks useful. I'll give them that. But the rest of the phone is a huge disappointment. The fingerprint is a gimmick without NFC. The processor would be good for true multitasking, but for true multitasking you need a bigger screen, so you can have two apps open on the same screen. That's why you need a bigger screen! Which Apple doesn't want to make!

So don't get one. Simple enough. I look forward to what all they're going to do with the M7, TouchID, 64-bit, etc. Setting the foundations for what I anticipate to be cool additions. The A7 is looking great for a AppleTV gaming platform as well.

post #28 of 135
Quote:

Stock market agrees with me, getting pummeled as this non event gets absorbed.  12 months for this?  Joke and a half and Cook is the court jester.

Duh, stock selloffs often occur after Apple announcements, no matter what they announce.

post #29 of 135
Quote:

Yeah, tens of millions of people will be using it in a week, and they're "uncertain" it would work. 

post #30 of 135

Go to MacRumors and crap all over everyone else there. They swim in it. We, on the other hand, have had enough of this.

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post
So all that the that the ID Thingy can do right now is unlock your iPhone and open your iTunes account.  WOW !!!!  Gotta do more than that.  I have about 100+ websites that request a password; the ID Thingy does nothing for those?  Will it ever?

No, it will never do any more than it does now¡

post #31 of 135
Wow. Lotta butt-hurt fandroids out there.
For sure.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #32 of 135
Quote:

Uh, where were you?  They came up with different colors.  Surely that took a lot of thought.  R&D budget hasnt gone up 400% in two years for nothing.

Next year Apple is going to blow our minds with a 5 inch iPhone. Mark my words.

post #33 of 135
Originally Posted by georgegiorgio View Post

Underwhelmed

Definitely sticking with my iPhone 4S "unlocked / jailbroken"

Welcome to Apple Insider, georgegiorgio.

Underwhelmed by your "newbie troll."

You need to try harder.  Definitely.

post #34 of 135
Quote:

Good for you. I hope you make a lot of money. I don't have the trading program opened. Is it at 400 already? :))

I already covered the short, so I'm out of the trade. Being too greedy is not wise. I've made that mistake before.:lol:

I had the trading program open while I was watching the live blog of the event, and there were a couple of spots that were just too obvious, and I made a few safe trades, both long and short, just trying to follow the curve. And it may have dipped below 500 for the moment, but I think that it'll be above 500 again soon enough.

post #35 of 135
Quote:

Everyone year, it doesn't fail. "That's it?" says someone, then, they go along and and sell 100m to cultist.

post #36 of 135
Quote:

That's exactly why. And when the phone ships, it won't work for everyone. That's also why they didn't demo Siri, iRadio or the camera. None of it works.

Thank God you're here to set them straight.

post #37 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I too agree that it was a bit strange that this feature was not demoed. It's not like it would have taken somebody a long time to put their finger on the home button, so everybody could have seen how this feature works in the real world.

Because there is nothing to demo. Bring someone on stage put his finger on the button and? And nothing, the iPhone is unlocked. So, what? That's all. Yeah, that's all.

What kind of demo would that be? A pretty short demo, don't you think?

post #38 of 135
I had hoped for a larger screen and 128GB, so I am somewhat disappointed. Perhaps next year.
post #39 of 135
This is a step to getting the technology into device and a large group comfortable using it to unlock the device and authorize AppStore purchases. The next step will be Bank of Apple and physical purchase locations. But that's a few years away in my view.
post #40 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

That's exactly why. And when the phone ships, it won't work for everyone. That's also why they didn't demo Siri, iRadio or the camera. None of it works.

Thank God you're here to set them straight.

Lol, be ready for the Fingergate!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S