or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S - Page 3

post #81 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post
 

Man, was this disappointing or what? A year, they had a year and they come up with a fingerprint sensor that is good for nothing except unlocking you phone? This is all Apple is capable of? Really?

 

You mean the sensor no one else has been capable of launching on a phone, ever? The Atrix is the only phone that's ever had one and it was completely unintuitive, and was removed from the product 2 months after release because it was failing for everyone. The same goes for those fingerprint sensors on notebook computers: they fail, they break, they cease to work. That's not good consumer electronics. Things must be useful, and they must continue to work.

 

I'm being genuine here in saying if the single only new thing Apple brought out this year is a fingerprint sensor that's intuitive, that works well and doesn't give trouble over time it will be one of the most important years in Apple's company history. If they pull this off it will be a definitively—Apple move. And then in October 2014, when the sensor is proven in the market with a year under its belt, Apple will add it to all of their iDevices, and eventually, Macs. This is how Apple operates, and it works for them. And it works for users too. Users don't want 1,000,000 new features every year. They want 1 or 2 genuinely useful additional features that they will use regularly. We'll leave it to Samesong to add 10 new gimmicks every year, or try to cater to every single customer imaginable. Rather than make something they would actually love to use themselves. 


Edited by Ireland - 9/10/13 at 3:43pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #82 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

 

You mean the sensor no one else has been capable of launching on a phone, ever? The Atrix is the only phone that's ever had one and it was completely unintuitive, and was removed from the product 2 months after release because it was failing for everyone.

 

I'm being genuine here in saying if the single only new thing Apple brought out this year is a fingerprint sensor that's intuitive, that works well and doesn't give trouble over time it will be one of the most important years in Apple's company history. If they pull this off it will be a definitively Apple move. And then in October 2014, when the sensor is proven in the market with a year under its belt, Apple will add it too all or their iPads and iPhones, and eventually, Macs. This is how Apple operates, and it works for them. And it works for users too. Users don't want 1,000,000 new features every year. They want 1 or 2 genuinely useful additional features that they will use regularly. We'll leave it to Samesong to add 10 new gimmicks every year.

 

 

I think this sensor will save the user a few seconds each time.  In all it will save iPhone users hundreds of millions of seconds each day.  This is what convenience is about. 

post #83 of 135
How will the NSA/law enforcement backdoor work for the fingerprint sensor? And, yes, of course there will be one since the NSA/police/etc would have asked Apple for one well ahead of time.
post #84 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

How will the NSA/law enforcement backdoor work for the fingerprint sensor? And, yes, of course there will be one since the NSA/police/etc would have asked Apple for one well ahead of time.

I don't think NSA will need the finger print sensor to identify the legitimate owner.  They can do this today already. 

post #85 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I don't think NSA will need the finger print sensor to identify the legitimate owner.  They can do this today already. 

 



My point is that when law enforcement/three letter agencies want to get into a suspect's iPhone and read their notes/contacts/etc, they're going to want a back door since they already have PIN cracking software.
post #86 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post


I think this sensor will save the user a few seconds each time.  In all it will save iPhone users hundreds of millions of seconds each day.  This is what convenience is about. 

That would be truly amazing since a day only has 86, 400 seconds.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #87 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
 

I don't think NSA will need the finger print sensor to identify the legitimate owner.  They can do this today already. 

 



My point is that when law enforcement/three letter agencies want to get into a suspect's iPhone and read their notes/contacts/etc, they're going to want a back door since they already have PIN cracking software.

 

I think in most cases law enforcement agency will have the suspect in custody in addition to the phone.

post #88 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain View Post
 

MacApfel, I heard none of the new features work.

 

Who paid you to come here? Get a real job.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #89 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

 

You mean the sensor no one else has been capable of launching on a phone, ever? The Atrix is the only phone that's ever had one and it was completely unintuitive, and was removed from the product 2 months after release because it was failing for everyone. The same goes for those fingerprint sensors on notebook computers: they fail, they break, they cease to work. That's not good consumer electronics. Things must be useful, and they must continue to work.

 

I'm being genuine here in saying if the single only new thing Apple brought out this year is a fingerprint sensor that's intuitive, that works well and doesn't give trouble over time it will be one of the most important years in Apple's company history. If they pull this off it will be a definitively—Apple move. And then in October 2014, when the sensor is proven in the market with a year under its belt, Apple will add it to all of their iDevices, and eventually, Macs. This is how Apple operates, and it works for them. And it works for users too. Users don't want 1,000,000 new features every year. They want 1 or 2 genuinely useful additional features that they will use regularly. We'll leave it to Samesong to add 10 new gimmicks every year, or try to cater to every single customer imaginable. Rather than make something they would actually love to use themselves. 

The biometric fingerprint sensors in the Motorola ATRIX and the iPhone 5S were both developed by the same company -- Authentec. Hopefully, the kinks have been worked out this time around.

post #90 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

 

I think in most cases law enforcement agency will have the suspect in custody in addition to the phone.

 



What's your point? They'll still want to get into their phone to search for evidence.
post #91 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
 

Baffling! If they had demoed the new Touch ID, they could have showed how it works with iCloud Keychain in iOS 7 so you'd never have to remember another password again. 

 

It doesn't and won't work with iCloud keychain thanks to the wacky paranoia of the American government.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #92 of 135
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It doesn't and won't work with iCloud keychain thanks to the wacky paranoia of the American government.

 

What? Why would the government be paranoid? It will never work like this because it's insecure to send your fingerprints across the Internet. The government would WANT to have this information. The "wacky paranoia" (known as desire for personal privacy in the civilized world) is on the part of the user.

post #93 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
 

 

I think in most cases law enforcement agency will have the suspect in custody in addition to the phone.

 



What's your point? They'll still want to get into their phone to search for evidence.

 

 

I think fingerprint is not the only way to unlock if it failed.  If the user can not unlock with finger print it still can be unlocked with pass code. 

post #94 of 135

It's a decent update to the iPhone. I think the fingerprint recognition is going to be a significant feature in time, especially as NFR payments, coupons, tickets and so on become more widely used.

 

However, the thing about the announcements that I find very strange is the "5c" is really not that much less expensive if you look at the unlocked prices. The cheapest 5c is $549 unlocked. I was hoping they were going to hit more around $300. The cheapest 5s is only $100 more. If you compare the difference in features and quality between the 5c and the 5s, I think it stacks up to more than $100. They should have given people more of a break on the 5c.

post #95 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Stock market agrees with me, getting pummeled as this non event gets absorbed.  12 months for this?  Joke and a half and Cook is the court jester.

The stock dropped for one reason, and one reason only; the 5C is $549.

I don't see how anyone could have though it was possible to have it any cheaper, considering what it was expected to be, but there you have it, crazy expectations.
post #96 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

It's a decent update to the iPhone. I think the fingerprint recognition is going to be a significant feature in time, especially as NFR payments, coupons, tickets and so on become more widely used.

However, the thing about the announcements that I find very strange is the "5c" is really not that much less expensive if you look at the unlocked prices. The cheapest 5c is $549 unlocked. I was hoping they were going to hit more around $300. The cheapest 5s is only $100 more. If you compare the difference in features and quality between the 5c and the 5s, I think it stacks up to more than $100. They should have given people more of a break on the 5c.

Yours is one of those crazy expectations. People aren't thinking here. The difference between a stainless steel backed polycarbonate back and a machined aluminum back isn't as much as one might think. Perhaps $30, maybe a bit more. But look what Apple did here. They designed a new motherboard. They put a much better FaceTime camera in. They used the most expensive radio to get all of those bands in, AND a bigger battery.

And people expect the phone to go for $300? Seriously? Why? Just because they want it to?
post #97 of 135

I am going to put a thick sticker on the Home button disabling fingerprint stuff, I have never committed any crime so I don't see any reason to voluntarily give out my fingerprint.

 

They have every one's address, location, phone number, family , childhood pictures and  etc by social networks now they were missing people's fingerprint which could be accomplished this way.

 

I'm pretty sure Apple have had some acknowledgement from big brother to implement this, now they are saying every thing is encrypted on your device and not sent to our servers ?!!

 

Next year they are going to say , well you know guys fingerprint is not that accurate and it's kind old, why don't give your DNA to unlock the iPhone's home screen ?!!!

post #98 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Still, the processor is good. 64 bit is good. And the motion coprocessor looks useful. I'll give them that. But the rest of the phone is a huge disappointment. The fingerprint is a gimmick without NFC. The processor would be good for true multitasking, but for true multitasking you need a bigger screen, so you can have two apps open on the same screen. That's why you need a bigger screen! Which Apple doesn't want to make!

Actually, we already do have multitasking, but in a more limited form. The truth is that most apps don't need it, and neither do you. GPS apps use it. In fact, I have to remember to manually turn off my GPS app otherwise it talks to me for the rest of the day. Also my audio test software. If I don't, it measures sound while the phone is in my case, on my waist. And then, the battery dies.

We run music in the background, download in the background, as well as other stuff. Apple already has most of that covered. Even with a 5" phone you really don't want to run two apps side by side. And anyway, just slide right or left. Not really a big deal, you know? But you would be nuts to want to run two apps at once, on the screen, even of it were bigger. On an iPad, maybe, or maybe not. I think there's too much fixation on this. What are you going to do, run a video render while writing a novel?
post #99 of 135
Originally Posted by Derek1234 View Post
I am going to put a thick sticker on the Home button disabling fingerprint stuff, I have never committed any crime so I don't see any reason to voluntarily give out my fingerprint.

 

Take off the tin foil hat. You understand it's not on by default, does nothing by default, isn't a fingerprint scanner by default, and cannot possibly give anyone off the phone your data when it's on in any capacity anyway, right?

 
They have every one's address, location, phone number, family , childhood pictures and  etc by social networks now they were missing people's fingerprint which could be accomplished this way. 

 

Darn reptilians, taking over my guvvament!

 
I'm pretty sure Apple have had some acknowledgement from big brother to implement this, now they are saying every thing is encrypted on your device and not sent to our servers ?!!

 

Specifically said so, yes, and you'd know that if you cared about it enough to learn the truth.

 

post #100 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1234 View Post

I am going to put a thick sticker on the Home button disabling fingerprint stuff, I have never committed any crime so I don't see any reason to voluntarily give out my fingerprint.

They have every one's address, location, phone number, family , childhood pictures and  etc by social networks now they were missing people's fingerprint which could be accomplished this way.

I'm pretty sure Apple have had some acknowledgement from big brother to implement this, now they are saying every thing is encrypted on your device and not sent to our servers ?!!

Next year they are going to say , well you know guys fingerprint is not that accurate and it's kind old, why don't give your DNA to unlock the iPhone's home screen ?!!!

I just love it when people comment without knowing anything about what they are commenting on. Seriously, there is now plenty of information as to how this works. Apple made it VERY clear in their presentation today, that the fingerprint information never leaves your phone, and is encrypted. In addition the chip on your particular phone is the only device that can decrypt it easily, if at all. It works similarly to the hardware in Intel's chips that encrypts data. Hardware encryption is very difficult to break.

Believe me, if you've done something so stupid that the NSA or FBI wants you, they will get you, fingerprint or not.
post #101 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post
 

Man, was this disappointing or what? A year, they had a year and they come up with a fingerprint sensor that is good for nothing except unlocking you phone? This is all Apple is capable of? Really?

 

Converting a micro kernel and operating system to 64 bit is a big under taking.  To me, this is also an indication of more powerful devices to come.  (See how long it takes Android to become 64 bit if ever.)

 

The fingerprint sensor and the 64 bit operating system places Apple over the competition for years to come.

I expect PassBook to soon carry all major credit cards with best in class security and ease of use.

 

Time will tell.

post #102 of 135

Has anyone watched the hands-on videos?  Have you noticed how painfully inept most tech journalists seem to be at following simple instructions?

 

"Lift and rest your finger on the Home button repeatedly."

 

It's amazing how many of these chuckleheads just glob their nerd finger on the Home button and wait ... derrrrrrrrr.

post #103 of 135
Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post
Has anyone watched the hands-on videos?  Have you noticed how painfully inept most tech journalists seem to be at following simple instructions?

 

"Lift and rest your finger on the Home button repeatedly."

 

It's amazing how many of these chuckleheads just glob their nerd finger on the Home button and wait ... derrrrrrrrr.

 

And yet some people think the "lackluster applause" these imbeciles gave was indicative of Apple failing in some way.

post #104 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


The stock dropped for one reason, and one reason only; the 5C is $549.

I don't see how anyone could have though it was possible to have it any cheaper, considering what it was expected to be, but there you have it, crazy expectations.

 

I think the more important reason is the missing large sized iPhone.  AAPL did not drop when the 5C price is announced.  It began dropping after the show is over.  It seems the market was waiting for the one last thing.  

 

I am convinced there are quite a few consumers that want bigger phone over better phone.  Without a bigger phone Apple is giving up a growth opportunity.  Cheaper phone actually will lower gross margin which is not good for the stock.  

post #105 of 135

Taken together, the camera, the A7 and the fingerprint sensor are a bit thin to be called a (major) overhaul. But I sure do like the fingerprint sensor. Great add on!

post #106 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post


...add an ultra-low power always-on motion sensor...

 

 

I wonder if this is the first step in realising that patent that Apple applied for, wherein the phone's orientation is changed midway when it is falling to reduce the damage.

 

Great post by the way.

post #107 of 135

I thought the whole point of the 5c was to hit a lower price point. If so, they failed.

The 5c unlocked sells for the same as the 5 does on Virgin Mobile at this point. If Samsung can make a profit selling Galaxy S IIIs for $300ish, I don't see why Apple can't make an iPhone for around the same price. A $550 phone is not going to significantly open any new markets for them. They are selling the iPhone 4 for around $300. Does the iPhone 4 really cost that much less to produce? No. Does the 5c really cost that much more to manufacture than an iPad mini? No. This is all about maximizing their profits.

 

Apple makes a killing on their phones. They have significantly higher profit margins than their competitors, and they get the carriers to subsidize a higher portion of the largess. This has a downside for them though. In developing markets where most people are on pre-paid plans and for people like me who would rather pay $35 instead of $100 a month for cellphone service, the iPhone looks overpriced. Apple doesn't want to lower their unlocked price because it would spoil their sweet deal with the carriers. However, this means in terms of market share, Android is going to keep kicking Apple's butt.

 

Why bother making a cheap phone, if it isn't cheap? For a $100 more, I'd rather get the 5s. The price differential between the two seems inadequate to make up for the difference in quality and features.

post #108 of 135

Apple really hit the ball with this one.

post #109 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

I already covered the short, so I'm out of the trade. Being too greedy is not wise. I've made that mistake before.:lol:

 

I had the trading program open while I was watching the live blog of the event, and there were a couple of spots that were just too obvious, and I made a few safe trades, both long and short, just trying to follow the curve. And it may have dipped below 500 for the moment, but I think that it'll be above 500 again soon enough.

You should of held the shorts! Look at today premarket! It is $445!!! Huge gap down!

post #110 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

 
Man, was this disappointing or what? A year, they had a year and they come up with a fingerprint sensor that is good for nothing except unlocking you phone? This is all Apple is capable of? Really?

You mean the sensor no one else has been capable of launching on a phone, ever? The Atrix is the only phone that's ever had one and it was completely unintuitive, and was removed from the product 2 months after release because it was failing for everyone. The same goes for those fingerprint sensors on notebook computers: they fail, they break, they cease to work. That's not good consumer electronics. Things must be useful, and they must continue to work.

I'm being genuine here in saying if the single only new thing Apple brought out this year is a fingerprint sensor that's intuitive, that works well and doesn't give trouble over time it will be one of the most important years in Apple's company history. If they pull this off it will be a definitively—Apple move. And then in October 2014, when the sensor is proven in the market with a year under its belt, Apple will add it to all of their iDevices, and eventually, Macs. This is how Apple operates, and it works for them. And it works for users too. Users don't want 1,000,000 new features every year. They want 1 or 2 genuinely useful additional features that they will use regularly. We'll leave it to Samesong to add 10 new gimmicks every year, or try to cater to every single customer imaginable. Rather than make something they would actually love to use themselves. 

Oye! Oye! Well said!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #111 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Stock market agrees with me, getting pummeled as this non event gets absorbed.  12 months for this?  Joke and a half and Cook is the court jester.

The stock dropped for one reason, and one reason only; the 5C is $549.

I don't see how anyone could have though it was possible to have it any cheaper, considering what it was expected to be, but there you have it, crazy expectations.

Yep!

Recent articles have suggested that the "sweet spot" was the equivalent of US $489 ($549 5C entry model) for the masses in BRIC countries.

They missed that by $60 or 12%.


Likely, Apple sells the $549 phone to resellers for $400-$450 (based on volume), net 30.

So, an agile, high-volume, high-turnover ( > 12 turns) reseller could hit the sweet spot and make a tidy profit -- no cash outlay and just ring up the sales.

In addition, Apple and some resellers have been experimenting with low or 0% financing -- which, in effect, could raise the sweet spot.


My first thought was that Apple missed the boat on the 5C pricing and will lower the price if/when it doesn't meet sales objectives (as they did with the original iPhone).

On reflection, I think Apple knows exactly what they are doing:
  1. Apple will make sales and margin objectives
  2. Resellers will set the "street price"
  3. Consumers will get a top-quality iPhone at an acceptable "sweet spot" price

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 9/11/13 at 7:49am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #112 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Taken together, the camera, the A7 and the fingerprint sensor are a bit thin to be called a (major) overhaul. But I sure do like the fingerprint sensor. Great add on!

Err... what about the 5S speed and graphics capability -- this alone could take over the mobile game market.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #113 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


Yep!

Recent articles have suggested that the "sweet spot" was the equivalent pf US $489 ($549 5C entry model) for the masses in BRIC countries.

They missed that by $60 or 12%.


Likely, Apple sells the $549 phone to resellers for $400-$450 (based on volume), net 30.

So, an agile, high-volume, high-turnover ( > 12 turns) reseller could hit the sweet spot and make a tidy profit -- no cash outlay and just ring up the sales.

In addition, Apple and some resellers have been experimenting with low or 0% financing -- which, in effect, could raise the sweet spot.


My first thought was that Apple missed the boat on the 5C pricing and will lower the price if/when it doesn't meet sales objectives (as they did with the original iPhone).

On reflection, I think Apple knows exactly what they are doing:
  1. Apple will make sales and margin objectives
  2. Resellers will set the "street price"
  3. Consumers will get a top-quality iPhone at an acceptable "sweet spot" price

 

A 15% discount over the high end phone isnt nearly enough to attract a different group of buyers.  Promise of China Mobile deal coming and the stock is still getting hammered because everyone realizes the 5c is going to fail as a lower priced entry.  Bottom line will it drive revenue and EPS growth?  Nope.

post #114 of 135
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post
Taken together, the camera, the A7 and the fingerprint sensor are a bit thin to be called a (major) overhaul. But I sure do like the fingerprint sensor. Great add on!

 

Good thing they overhauled everything else, too, huh? Man, you really dodged a bullet there.

post #115 of 135
Guys & gals, the iPhone 5S is the first 64Bit phone. THAT alone is groundbreaking. Sure, they could have put R&D into making 25 bigger screen models.. but going 64Bit was no small feat. The had to 1. build the chip 2. re-write iOS to be 64Bit compatible 3. re-write all the native apps.. and guess why they did this?????.. Because this phone will be able to do amazing new things (like offline voice recognition) because this phone now kicks the **LIVING CRAP** out of anything else on the market in this size & weight class (which I think is a perfect size FOR A PHONE-- as I like to use my phone with 1 hand ALL THE TIME).
No other phone comes close to the CPU, photogrpahy processing, video processing, audio processing you will get from the 5s.

Do I want bigger screens so AAPL will sell more? YES... do I want one for me? Maybe.. but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't trade the features of the 5s and the awesome apps & ecosystem of Apple for a crappy Android environment. All my Android friends have pretty crappy boring web-based apps and have to tweak their phones to save battery by shutting all their services off.

I am going to absolutely love this incredibly fast small little computing device (the iPhone 5s) that is **LIGHT YEARS** more powerful than ANYTHING ELSE on the market. I also appreciate all the nice improvements to the camera app-- in traditional form, they built features in intuitive ways that people like our moms and sisters will be able to use and WILL use. Do you know how many people FaceTime and send iMessages? Apple is RULING in the ways I want Apple to rule, as an investor. They are catering to people who want awesome devices that JUST WORK, and do not try to impress us with new features we will never use* and a million screen sizes. (*like that STUPID waving your hand over the Galaxy s4) How STUPID is that! At least Apple has more class than to make fun of those jokers. Go copy another product Samsung (see the Dyson lawsuit?).. Also the new 5s' motion chip is going to allow for awesome integrations with new apps.
post #116 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
 

 

 

What are you confused about?

 

You can EITHER scan your print OR enter a passcode.

 

The only thing unclear is whether you can require BOTH be entered in settings for double security.

 

The video said you can use your fingerprint to make iTunes purchases.  The guy in the video also said fingerprints are stored only on the phone's CPU, not iCloud or anywhere else.  If that is the case, how do the systems on the other end know the fingerprint is valid?  For functions other than unlocking the phone, does a fingerprint serve as direct authentication, or does it simply work to unlock an existing password?


Edited by Haggar - 9/11/13 at 1:10pm
post #117 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

For functions other than unlocking the phone, does a fingerprint serve as direct authentication, or does it simply work to unlock an existing password?

It wouldn't be efficient to do the verification on the server because the scanner is only scanning a portion of the print and matching it to a profile. Having to do the matching for 500 million customers server-side would bog them down. Having the fingerprint act as a sort of keychain unlocker is much easier and they can verify the passwords directly. It also means no changes required to the server infrastructure.
post #118 of 135
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If that is the case, how do the systems on the other end know the fingerprint is valid?

 

It doesn't know. It doesn't care. You don't create an iTunes account with the fingerprint. You make it with a password, and the money is tied to the account. Fingerprinting is tied to the account as a separate password.

post #119 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

For functions other than unlocking the phone, does a fingerprint serve as direct authentication, or does it simply work to unlock an existing password?

It wouldn't be efficient to do the verification on the server because the scanner is only scanning a portion of the print and matching it to a profile. Having to do the matching for 500 million customers server-side would bog them down. Having the fingerprint act as a sort of keychain unlocker is much easier and they can verify the passwords directly. It also means no changes required to the server infrastructure.

The way I understand it:
  1. TouchID unlocks the device by verifying the scanned fingerprint against a fingerprint profile encrypted and stored in a secure area of the A7 (PRAM or SSD).
  2. Apparently, if you use and pass the fingerprint scan the app requiring access to the iTunes Store retrieves your [securely] stored iTunes Password and sign you directly onto the store -- you don't see the iTunes sign on screen.

I see no reason why Apple couldn't allow 3rd-party sites to be aware that the user has passed the fingerprint scan and follow the same procedure to directly login to their site.

Another consideration would be to have above capability work with BLE or Point-to-Point WiFi so you could do things when the Internet is not available or not needed -- unlock your front door or car, pay for groceries, etc.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #120 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
If that is the case, how do the systems on the other end know the fingerprint is valid?

It doesn't know. It doesn't care. You don't create an iTunes account with the fingerprint. You make it with a password, and the money is tied to the account. Fingerprinting is tied to the account as a separate password.

I don't believe that you need a separate password -- though, for audit trail, it might be a good idea. I assume that if you have lots of passwords stored, in some form, on your device -- that they all become accessible once you logon to the device -- whether by passcode or fp scan.

Come to think of it -- Apple could rework the keychain implementation into something like the Contacts app -- where each entry contains the login ID and password for an individual web site or function. It would be encrypted and stored locally -- with 3 levels of access.
  1. no manual login or fp scan -- no access
  2. manual passcode login -- tap the keychain entry, and it goes to the site, enters the login info and awaits you to override or tap enter.
  3. fp scan -- tap the keychain entry, go to the site and login directly

For non-Internet activities, it would just perform the function.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S