or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launch

Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launch

post #1 of 61
Developers testing Apple's new iOS 7 mobile operating system were supplied with the golden master, or presumed final build, of the software on Tuesday after the company revealed its new iPhone lineup.

biggity

The iOS 7 golden master update can be obtained through Apple's online developer portal. People familiar with the software said it is identified as "Build 11A465."

The release of the iOS 7 GM means that developers will have a little over a week to test their applications before the software is made available to the masses. Apple announced earlier Tuesday that iOS 7 will be made available to the public on Wednesday, Sept. 18.

iOS 7 will launch just two days before Apple's latest smartphones ? the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c ? go on sale. Both of those devices will ship with iOS 7 preinstalled.

For current iOS device users, iOS 7 will become available for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4; the fourth- and third-generation iPad, iPad 2, and iPad mini, as well as the fifth-generation iPod touch. It will be a free download.
post #2 of 61

Fire up those BT clients...

post #3 of 61
The BT channels are going to be burning hot soon....
Edited by jimlat - 9/10/13 at 12:36pm
post #4 of 61
iOS 7 GM not yet showing as an available update yet in settings for me in central west Florida.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #5 of 61
If I have beta 6 of the ios 7 will I be able to update to the goldmaster version or wil I have to uninstall it or will I be able to update it without uninstalling the beta version?
post #6 of 61

As much as I want to like the look of iOS 7, I'm just not onboard with the transparency, flat icons and text with low contrast and poor legibility. I admittedly have not tried any of the developer builds but still, I have some doubts about the theme.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #7 of 61

That's because it's not being released until 1pm Pacific time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

iOS 7 GM not yet showing as an available update yet in settings for me in central west Florida.
post #8 of 61
Quote:

The big question is: can you update from a previous iOS 7 DP release to the GM version?  Or is it just software updatable from iOS 6 to iOS 7 GM?  In the past it's always required a full restore to go from DP to GM.  It's not clear from any of the release notes I've found.

post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

OK thanks for that ...
post #10 of 61

I really do wish that Apple would provide a mechanism to let users to change the icons for default and third party apps.  I don't particularly care for a number of the default icons in iOS 7 (Notes and Reminders, in particular), and I am absolutely shocked at the "Voice Memos" app icon made the final cut.  It is easily the worst bit of design I've seen come out of Apple.

post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As much as I want to like the look of iOS 7, I'm just not onboard with the transparency, flat icons and text with poor contract and legibility. I admittedly have not tried any of the developer builds but still, I have some doubts about the theme.

Yeah... I wish you could tone down the transparency... especially on Control Center.

It just looks like a jumbled mess of colors and makes things hard to see.
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The big question is: can you update from a previous iOS 7 DP release to the GM version?  Or is it just software updatable from iOS 6 to iOS 7 GM?  In the past it's always required a full restore to go from DP to GM.  It's not clear from any of the release notes I've found.

Interesting point ... I guess we will find out in a few hours.

Anyone taking bets on the stitching in Find Friends ... 1smile.gif
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah... I wish you could tone down the transparency... especially on Control Center.

It just looks like a jumbled mess of colors and makes things hard to see.

In all this time I have never experience that. My only minor issue and it just my fault I guess for not being as mentally agile these days, I still look for certain icons that are radically different. It takes me a few moments to remember they have changed, such as Photos. I'll get there.. 1smile.gif Otherwise I love it.
post #14 of 61
Quote:

Interesting point ... I guess we will find out in a few hours.

The GM (full restore version) is already available to paid iOS developers on developer.apple.com, but I'm not seeing the update available on my iPhone.  So I'm thinking not.  It would probably be best to test apps with a fresh and clean GM installation anyways.

post #15 of 61
Originally Posted by jimlat View Post
Fire up those BT clients...

Where's the downvote button…

Originally Posted by dead-1 View Post
If I have beta 6 of the ios 7 will I be able to update to the goldmaster version or wil I have to uninstall it or will I be able to update it without uninstalling the beta version?

As a developer, you should know that.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
Anyone taking bets on the stitching in Find Friends ... 1smile.gif

It's not part of the OS. Why would it be updated in the GM?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #16 of 61
Quote:

That's because everything is late in West Florida.
post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where's the downvote button…

As a developer, you should know that.

I would imagine that in this major overhaul, things like that would stand out, and so would have been fixed early on. If not, that would be a big surprise.
post #18 of 61
Originally Posted by melgross View Post
I would imagine that in this major overhaul, things like that would stand out, and so would have been fixed early on. If not, that would be a big surprise.

Thing is, they very recently updated Find My iPhone AND Find My Friends. The former received a UI and icon overhaul, the latter didn't. 

post #19 of 61
I'm curious, is there an option to slightly bold up the font in 7? That's the big downside to it, the text really is spindly. It makes me think they weren't nearly scientific enough with legibility. If you want to see something that really is well thought out, look at the new highway font on interstate direction signs. They spent years figuring that out, even to the point of checking out fonts from other countries such as the British "worboys" font that was thought to be as good as it could get for legibility. What's really impressive about the US highway font is how effortless it is to read. That's also a feeling I have had with iOS 6. 7, not so much.
post #20 of 61
@photoeditor
Yes, there is an option in settings to make the text bold on a system-wide level.
post #21 of 61
Well for all of you that don't like the transparency, your wish has been granted. The GM version has made things opaque gray tinted with whatever color your background is using. Personally I prefer the transparency to this. Very disappointed.
post #22 of 61
Quote:

As far as I know, the GM has to be downloaded from the dev site.  Not being supported for updates over air.

post #23 of 61
Quote:

Odd comment. Plenty of Apple applications have lost the skeuomorphic look in iOS7, why not Find Friends. Contacts did for example.
post #24 of 61
Plenty of Apple applications have lost the skeuomorphic look in iOS7, why not Find Friends. Contacts did for example.

Contacts is part of the OS. Find My Friends is not. It would not be updated as part of the GM. It is not part of the OS. Odd comment, indeed.

Find My iPhone got an update at the same time as Find My Friends, a few weeks ago. The former received a UI and icon overhaul to iOS 7, the latter did not. That should be what is being discussed, not why software that isn't part of the OS and which has never been part of the OS was not updated with the OS.

post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's because everything is late in West Florida.

Ha ha

But we do have teeth in this area.
post #26 of 61
Quote:

Contacts is part of the OS. Find My Friends is not. It would not be updated as part of the GM. It is not part of the OS. Odd comment, indeed.

Find My iPhone got an update at the same time as Find My Friends, a few weeks ago. The former received a UI and icon overhaul to iOS 7, the latter did not. That should be what is being discussed, not why software that isn't part of the OS and which has never been part of the OS was not updated with the OS.

I never mentioned OS in my OP on that topic, you did in the reply. I was simply wondering if the GM would finally nail the last remnant of skeuomorphism, that's all. It could not be included as a UI update at this juncture, or not ... I was simply curious.
post #27 of 61
I was simply wondering if the GM would finally nail the last remnant of skeuomorphism, that's all.

Yes, and how could a GM alter software that isn't part of itself?

post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

I'm curious, is there an option to slightly bold up the font in 7? That's the big downside to it, the text really is spindly. It makes me think they weren't nearly scientific enough with legibility. If you want to see something that really is well thought out, look at the new highway font on interstate direction signs. They spent years figuring that out, even to the point of checking out fonts from other countries such as the British "worboys" font that was thought to be as good as it could get for legibility. What's really impressive about the US highway font is how effortless it is to read. That's also a feeling I have had with iOS 6. 7, not so much.

Are you actually using the dev version? I've never found any issue with legibility and my near vision isn't all that good.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The GM (full restore version) is already available to paid iOS developers on developer.apple.com, but I'm not seeing the update available on my iPhone.  So I'm thinking not.  It would probably be best to test apps with a fresh and clean GM installation anyways.

Yep.
post #30 of 61
Quote:

I was simply wondering if the GM would finally nail the last remnant of skeuomorphism, that's all.

Yes, and how could a GM alter software that isn't part of itself?

A GM is not some piece of magic code. It is simply a final candidate containing the rsrcs and flags for the installer that is a final test for what anyone with a new device or updating will get. The GM is nothing more than a whole bunch of files all bundled together (kind of like a folder) that is marked as being part of a pkg of rsrcs (code, txt, pix, strs, nibs, etc…). It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. If you look at an app for example the may contain more than just the one app. Granted the installer is typically built into iTunes for iOS and the pcs are specified in the Xcode project file when the App is all assembled but that in no way limits what Apple choses to install with their Apps and System. Remember Apple owns the installer and has gone to quite a bit of trouble to keep it secure from outsiders -- but not themselves.

post #31 of 61
Quote:

It doesn't show under Software Update in Settings on any of our iDevices...

I think you will need to dload it from the developer site.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As much as I want to like the look of iOS 7, I'm just not onboard with the transparency, flat icons and text with low contrast and poor legibility. I admittedly have not tried any of the developer builds but still, I have some doubts about the theme.

When I first saw the WWDC preso of iOS 7, I had similar feelings.

Then I tried it -- and it was OK... meh.

After using it for about a week, my initial feelings became a distant memory.

The edge-to-edge display of content, the convenience, speed and fluidity advantages * -- it is sooo much better than iOS 6 and earlier.

* for example to unlock the home screen you just flick [almost] anywhere on the display in a general left to right motion -- as opposed to visually targeting then precisely moving the slider control in earlier iOS releases.

Try it, You'll like it!

P.S. You folks won't have Dick Applebaum to kick around much longer... I'm changing my name to Miley!
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #33 of 61
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

A GM is not some piece of magic code. It is simply a final candidate containing the rsrcs and flags for the installer that is a final test for what anyone with a new device or updating will get. The GM is nothing more than a whole bunch of files all bundled together (kind of like a folder) that is marked as being part of a pkg of rsrcs (code, txt, pix, strs, nibs, etc…). It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. If you look at an app for example the may contain more than just the one app. Granted the installer is typically built into iTunes for iOS and the pcs are specified in the Xcode project file when the App is all assembled but that in no way limits what Apple choses to install with their Apps and System. Remember Apple owns the installer and has gone to quite a bit of trouble to keep it secure from outsiders -- but not themselves.

Sounds like you're corroborating what I'm saying.

post #34 of 61
There is no more "Slide to Unlock" sound - is it never coming back?
post #35 of 61
Originally Posted by angusw View Post
There is no more "Slide to Unlock" sound - is it never coming back?

I thought I just heard it in a hands-on video of the 5S… Have to wait for a quieter one, I guess. I can't imagine   that such an iconic sound would be removed.

post #36 of 61
Quote:

Sounds like you're corroborating what I'm saying.

He wrote " It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. "
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It doesn't show under Software Update in Settings on any of our iDevices...

I think you will need to dload it from the developer site.

Yep for sure.
post #38 of 61
He wrote " It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. "

But what it does not include is Find My Friends, in any capacity, nor has it ever.

post #39 of 61
Quote:

But what it does not include is Find My Friends, in any capacity, nor has it ever.

My original, semi comical. point was … could the 7 GM be the moment when Scott's last Stitch disappears? It could be done in a software update triggered once the GM is rebooted. I was not trying to get into a pedantic discussion about how. Rather that it might be the point in time. Or as I had previously postulated, in jest, be left there as a monument in remembrance. You need to get out and take a walk some times you know 1wink.gif
post #40 of 61
My original, semi comical. point was … could the 7 GM be the moment when Scott's last Stitch disappears?

Oh, yes! Certainly.

It could be done in a software update triggered once the GM is rebooted. I was not trying to get into a pedantic discussion about how. Rather that it might be the point in time. Or as I had previously postulated, in jest, be left there as a monument in remembrance. You need to get out and take a walk some times you know 1wink.gif

I rather think that FMF will get an update to match by/on the 18th, just that it wouldn't have happened in the GM.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launch