or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c - Page 3

post #81 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post

The 4 is still quite new. I sold my 3GS, which I bought for $375 new unlocked, for only $100. That was a huge depreciation and I definitely won't be buying either the 4S or the 5C. From my perspective the belief that Apple products don't depreciate is bogus.

I tried out the Nexus 4 at a store and while it is not perfect -- I hate the 3D effects -- it is very good.

So you don't own one? I would see if you can borrow one.

post #82 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

$99 is not 10% less than $199. Idiot.

If you add in a 2 year contract, it is.

But the 'good' and 'better' iPhones have always sold quite well - even though they're only $100 less than the 'best' iphone. I don't expect that to change.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #83 of 226
Quote:

I'm not discouraged, but I agree the HTC One looks better.

You should avoid the Moto X, unless you like having your passwords sent to a Motorola server:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/22435/motorola-secretly-spies-droid-phone-users-every-9-minutes-collects-personal-data

What? Wow. That's NOT cool. I'll have to look into what's actually going on there. I don't think it's actually sending passwords. It could be anonymous usage statistics. Can you opt out of it?

post #84 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

For the people bothered by this...you do realize the 5C is plastic and doesn't require a case?

When I was using iPhones I never used a case. I still don't use one on my Nexus 4. I've never wanted to have something ruin the look and feel of the phone. I think some of the color juxtapositions on these new cases are neat, but some are a bit tacky. That's the best part of opinions though. I bet some would disagree with the ones I don't like.

post #85 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you add in a 2 year contract, it is.

But the 'good' and 'better' iPhones have always sold quite well - even though they're only $100 less than the 'best' iphone. I don't expect that to change.

This is the major point I'm seeing no one get. This isn't really a "new category" Apple just spiced up the middle ground a bit and lowered the overall BOM cost for that phone to eek out more profits. It's a really smart plan.

post #86 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragit View Post

'it didn't feel "cheap" or "plasticky"' no i would hope not as it isn't cheap by any means.
This is the most disappointing release has made in a very long time IMO. They seem to have completely missed the point of "affordable".
They needed to make a phone for half the price of the current iphone, not 10% less... gives a sheet.

A phone that costs much less than what Apple is charging is a money losing product.  Apple has to maintain decent margins, otherwise the analysts and shareholders will get pissed off.  The problem with these other phone mfg that sell $150 phones aren't making any money and all they are doing is screwing up the industry and ultimately the customer.  The reason why Samsung is getting away with it, is because they make it up by the higher end phones and because it's better to run the factories spitting out cheap components and breaking even so they can increase market share, otherwise, they'd have to shut down mfg plants, have less sales, etc. and probably end up dumping chips in landfill.

To expect Apple to make a good $150 is like asking Mercedes Benz to come out with a high quality $15K car.  It'll never happen.  Mercedes has their branding and their market they go after and it isn't the high volume, low cost, low margin products.  The same thing about Apple.  If you want a high quality product, you have to pay for it.  if all you look at is the price, then you'll end up getting something that is made for that price market.  You can't have high quality and cheap.  Those two things almost never exist.   Market share doesn't pay the bills and allow for growth and to pay for research.

The same thing that's been happening and will continue to happen in the PC market will happen to the Android market.  It's just a matter of time.  There have already been a few Android players get out of the industry because they can't make money trying to compete.  That's not good for the consumer.  How would you like it if you bought something based on price only to find out the company exits the industry and you are now high and dry without a company that cares about a product you just paid money for.

Apple's biggest flaws aside from color choices is more that they haven't spit out a larger screen model.  It's nice to see them doing 64 Bit processing this early and because Apple has more experience in transitioning from 32 to 64 bit, they'll probably do a much better and faster job than Android.

It'll probably take Apple all of about 5 years to get all of their users over to 64 bit completely.  3 years until Apple sells nothing but 64 bit processors, and then another 2 years afterwards.  it'll take Android  longer to get the majority of the Android users over to 64 bit.  Maybe even as long as 10 years.  The reason is these companies want to spit out $150 phones running Gingerbread, which is going on 4 years old.  In order for the Android market to move to 64 bit, they would have to first introduce 64 bit, and then they have to get $150 64 bit phones on the market.  Yeah, right, that's going to be at least 5 years from now.  Apple will have all of their iPhones 64 bit 3 years from now and then another 2 years for everyone to obtain them.  How long do you think it's going to take for the Android market to get ALL of the phones sold on the market at 64 bit? A LONG time.  Once that happens, then it's about 2 years afterwards.

Samsung MIGHT introduce a 64 bit S5, or whatever they are going to call it next May, MAYBE.  But how is Google going to do 64 bit? is that with Kit Kat or with the next major release after that?  How long does it take for Android to move to 80% of one OS?  They haven't done that yet. They STILL have about 33% 2.x, about 33% using 4.x and then another 33% using 4.1.x and then 1% using 4.2.x.  4.3?  Hardly anyone uses 4.3.

Bottom line, $150 are just cheap phones being dumped on the market instead of a cheap traditional cell phone.   But that market isn't profitable.

post #87 of 226
Quote:

I can buy two Nexus 4 phones for the cost of one iPhone 5C.

So what's holding you back.  Why don't you do that and then bother people on the Android Central or Cult of Android sites, then we don't have to read your posts.

post #88 of 226
Quote:

I can buy two Nexus 4 phones for the cost of one iPhone 5C.

One to contain all your malware?
post #89 of 226
I think that the change from 32 bit to 64 bit is where the real value is added. And where we can see clearly how Apple tries to improve things while Samsung follows the same logic that pc manufacturers used.
Samsung's idea to improve performance is adding more and more cores.
Apple just went and found the next step on mobile processors.
The same applies to the camera, although HTC had already realized that more mega pixels means nothing if that is all you add to the camera.
post #90 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denkigrve View Post

You joined just to say that? I have a Nexus 4 and it's not really a great phone. I hate the camera. I have dust under the front and rear lens. It started showing up within the first week of owning the phone. I REALLY wish I would have held out for the HTC One. I love that phone. Point being, sure you can buy two, but you're buying two crappy phones for the price of one better built phone. LG's build quality and design isn't nearly as good as HTC and Apple. I'm also very curious about the Moto X build. I have a feeling it will also be way better than Googles race to the bottom Nexus 4.

I have the Moto X. It's a very nice phone. Moto has always made quality phones, they just lost track and made ugly ones...until this one. Build quality is solid, I love that it is almost stock Android, and the touch less controls have my iPhone friends a bit jealous even though they think I'm crazy for leaving the iPhone.

And so for now, I have an Android phone with iPads and iMacs in the house :-). Living in harmony.
post #91 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I have the Moto X. It's a very nice phone. Moto has always made quality phones, they just lost track and made ugly ones...until this one. Build quality is solid, I love that it is almost stock Android, and the touch less controls have my iPhone friends a bit jealous even though they think I'm crazy for leaving the iPhone.

And so for now, I have an Android phone with iPads and iMacs in the house :-). Living in harmony.

Haha that's how I'm living right now. I'm trying out Android on the Nexus 4, but I'm still deep in the iOS ecosystem with my iPad. I also have both a PC and two macs. My household is a model for tech diversity. I support whatever looks cool. What about that sending moto information thing? Is that just anonymous user data? Can you disable that in settings?

post #92 of 226
The one thing I was hoping Apple to really find a "magical" improvement is battery life.

Right when Phil was talking about the M7 and how it all affects battery life, I was waiting for him to say something like "not only is this new processor twice as fast, now battery life is twice as long".
post #93 of 226
So disappointing!
No black? Really?
and gaudy lollypop colours on an AU$800 plastic phone...

cheap, nasty, tacky... these are not kiddie products!

and those covers! I J Ive on holidays?

and ... after all of the hullabaloo about price gouging in the Australian market this one comes in at an extra $190 on top - a 33% slug!

Probably some of Apple's dumbest pricing/product decisions yet...

Samsung is beginning to look good!
post #94 of 226
Is it me or is the 5C just a 5 with a plastic colored body,? I guess that's why they call it the color because that's what it is, however now apple has produced 1-original, 2-3s(3G,3GS)two 4s, 3 5s (5,5c,5s) this it a rather weird naming system for phones, but power to the people with it.
post #95 of 226

I'm still missing who they are targeting with the 5c that wouldnt just buy the 5s if there wasnt a 5c.   They must really need help this quarter releasing both phones to every market they are in.  Something else better be coming or EPS will be around $30 a share this time next year.

post #96 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by working dog View Post

So disappointing!
No black? Really?
and gaudy lollypop colours on an AU$800 plastic phone...

cheap, nasty, tacky... these are not kiddie products!

and those covers! I J Ive on holidays?

and ... after all of the hullabaloo about price gouging in the Australian market this one comes in at an extra $190 on top - a 33% slug!

Probably some of Apple's dumbest pricing/product decisions yet...

Samsung is beginning to look good!

What? You joined just to say this? Come on dude. AUS pricing is ALWAYS higher. Don't act like the high prices for electronics is anything new. I have friends that come to the US for business and buy their electronics here to save money. I'm talking about Xbox, PS3, computers, cameras, etc. Not just phones. The pricing is exactly the same as it was in the past. Absolutely nothing has changed. Try harder next time to actually do some research instead of attempt to troll and flame. If Apple came out and said "This is a low cost phone" I could understand complaints, but they said "we're replacing the iPhone 5" That's it. If you look at the companies history, nothing has changed.

I'm really tired of you Android trolls making all of us Android users look bad. Please stop.

post #97 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Is it me or is the 5C just a 5 with a plastic colored body,? I guess that's why they call it the color because that's what it is, however now apple has produced 1-original, 2-3s(3G,3GS)two 4s, 3 5s (5,5c,5s) this it a rather weird naming system for phones, but power to the people with it.

It's basically a way to move iPhone 5 to the middle tier and save money on the production so your profits rise. The 4S was still selling very well after the iPhone 5 launched. Not everyone cares about tech specs like folks that read blogs. They just want whatever phone works for them at the price they want to hit. I think this is a funner way to handle that mid price point instead of just more of the same. It shakes those things up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

I'm still missing who they are targeting with the 5c that wouldnt just buy the 5s if there wasnt a 5c.   They must really need help this quarter releasing both phones to every market they are in.  Something else better be coming or EPS will be around $30 a share this time next year.

See my response above. They are targeting the middle tier purchasers that don't care about tech specs. Not everyone desires the latest tech specs. This is the same thing that was said when the iPod mini came out. "Who would buy that?" Then it turned into a run away success.

post #98 of 226
Could we please just not respond to the OBVIOUS troll post? There seems to be no real comment about the new phones, just troll fighting.
post #99 of 226
Quote:

I see. So you think Chinese people like ugly and compromised devices. Got it.

No I'm not looking to make that point or to begin an argument. If it's well-loved, that's fine. Just not my style. My take on it is as I said. I suspect millions will have their own contexts, styles, and viewpoints that are favorable. I love Apple and am looking at four devices right now (MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad and Apple TV), I just really have no lust for these and find them gaudy.

post #100 of 226
Quote:

For the people bothered by this...you do realize the 5C is plastic and doesn't require a case?

Regardless of the price or the material, people still want to protect their phone from scratches. Consider women for example, who keep their phone in a handbag along side car keys and various other objects like cosmetic stuff that could leave scratches on an iPhone. They do have some strange things in those purses. They need and want cases if not just for scratch protection but also for individualization. I also see many women carrying the iPhone in hand while walking so they are the primary buyers of third party cases as most men I know just prefer to keep a case-less phone in their front pants pocket.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #101 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Oi View Post

LOL. Did Apple really copy Samsung Galaxy's burst mode?.... Wow.
Huh? I've had burst mode for photography since the 80s.
post #102 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Huh? I've had burst mode for photography since the 80s.

Yep, even before cameras went digital, correct me if I'm wrong, SLRs cameras with burst mode operated this way, set it to burst mode, hold the shutter button to keep shooting, in those days you'd need a motor drive addition to the camera, (I like cameras, never had pro equipment). But to idiot trolls, Samsung invented burst mode, f**king tools.

post #103 of 226

After only hearing about the fingerprint sensor as the new feature of the 5s I half expected Apple to come out and pull a rabbit out of its hat.  Instead it feels like the magician didn't even show up.  No wonder all the execs were dumping shares about a month ago.

post #104 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Oi View Post

What I'm trying to say is that it's kinda funny how Apple implements their own version of "burst mode" after Samsung.

Samsung neither invented burst mode nor was the first to have it in a smartphone camera.  I've had an app on the iPhone for a few years now that takes a rapid succession of shots.  I bet similar apps existed for Android prior to Samsung's implementation.  Are you seriously trying pump up Samsung by saying they baked it into the stock camera first?  Whoop-dee-do.

post #105 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away. We don't care.

And neither apparently does Apple.

Quote:

If Apple came out and said "This is a low cost phone" I could understand complaints, but they said "we're replacing the iPhone 5" That's it.

But others are reporting it as such

Apple launches low-cost smartphone

Apple Expected to Increase Marketing Presence Abroad with Low-Cost iPhone

Apple's Low-Cost iPhone 5c Officially Announced - IGN

Apple unveils iPhone 5C, a new, low-cost iPhone
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #106 of 226
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

But others are reporting it as such

Who gives a frick what "others" say?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #107 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who is this phone targeting, and who wouldn't spend $100 more to get the premium model, with faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc.?

I happen to think that the 5C looks decent, for a plastic phone, I just think that Apple now has introduced a new model of iPhone that is priced almost the same as the premium model. $100 difference is nothing.

"Faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc."  You stopped at "etc". Do you think a 16 yr old girl cares about those things? Or does she care about "OMG Pink!"? "With a purple case!". Teens and college kids have access to disposable income. Apple is ready to take it from them. 

BTW, who wants a tablet that is just a large iPhone that can't make calls? Just cuz YOU don't see the market, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

post #108 of 226

That's simply projection of the rumors that have been flying around. That's a poor example to use to justify complaining about the price of more of the "business as usual" middle tier iPhone.

post #109 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

When your employees are basically paid in stock options in lieu of actual hefty salaries, that's why you have to care about your shareholder opinions.

Shareholders want a good quarterly return, even if it means the company struggles in the long term. Too many CEOs and management don't have the balls to do the right thing for the health of the company and look only to the quarter numbers. Don't ignore shareholders, but don't factor their wishes into decisions.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #110 of 226
Quote:

That's simply projection of the rumors that have been flying around. That's a poor example to use to justify complaining about the price of more of the "business as usual" middle tier iPhone.

I think Apple is on the right track, but the stock market isn't so certain: Shares of Apple fell 2.3 percent to $494.65 after the company's latest product unveilings, which included two new versions of its iPhone line.

Screw that bunch of nervous Nellies!
post #111 of 226
I think the target for the 5c don't care about specs. By the way, most iPhone users don't care or don't know what's inside the phone in terms of hardware specs.
post #112 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

"Faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc."  You stopped at "etc". Do you think a 16 yr old girl cares about those things? Or does she care about "OMG Pink!"? "With a purple case!". Teens and college kids have access to disposable income. Apple is ready to take it from them. 

BTW, who wants a tablet that is just a large iPhone that can't make calls? Just cuz YOU don't see the market, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm with you on this. Young buyers have money to burn and will burn it where it matters most... For most, that means their primary point of contact with their social world... the device they carry in their hand from morning to night. The colors are right for that group. Just like their clothing need the right brand marks printed on them, so does their iPhone.

The colors of the iPhone 5c and the protective cover colors, scream "buy me" to the Japanese and Chinese markets which Apple has now cracked open. Watch these markets soak up the colored iPhones like a sponge...
post #113 of 226

replied with quote

post #114 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

After only hearing about the fingerprint sensor as the new feature of the 5s I half expected Apple to come out and pull a rabbit out of its hat.  Instead it feels like the magician didn't even show up.  No wonder all the execs were dumping shares about a month ago.

I don't know how you only heard about the fingerprint sensor because Apple talked about that last. You must have slept through most of the presentation.
post #115 of 226

I know for sure that Motorola don't collect any password, gps locations etc. What I read is that when some app crashes, it collects crash dump to get more information for that crash. If the crash is gps related, it may have collected that info. Not for the purpose that you mentioned it. Regardless the link you refereed is age old phones. Moto X is very close to stock Android with all default google apps. You will not see any difference between Nexus and MotoX other then experience features like Touchless Control, Active Display, Assist, Connect.

I got custom Moto X as well and it had all features for Camera like, burst mode, slow mo video capture and clear Pixel camera for sharp pictures.

It is first time I am impressed with Motorola camera results. Once 5S comes to store, it will be interesting to compare camera features.

Quote:

Haha that's how I'm living right now. I'm trying out Android on the Nexus 4, but I'm still deep in the iOS ecosystem with my iPad. I also have both a PC and two macs. My household is a model for tech diversity. I support whatever looks cool. What about that sending moto information thing? Is that just anonymous user data? Can you disable that in settings?

post #116 of 226

Engadget had video demonstrating fingerprint sensor unlock. It did looked fast and took less time then you enter passcode. But video showed that it falsed to siri couple of times as well. Guessing it will be corrected by the time it launches.

post #117 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The colors are right for that group. Just like their clothing need the right brand marks printed on them, so does their iPhone.

The colors of the iPhone 5c and the protective cover colors, scream "buy me" to the Japanese and Chinese markets which Apple has now cracked open. Watch these markets soak up the colored iPhones like a sponge...

Maybe that explains what looks like a desperate "we're out of ideas ... Lets trot out the lollipop color offerings that made the iMac great and see if that works again"
post #118 of 226
Here's Gruber's thoughts on the new iPhones. They pretty much mirror mine, which is the 5C is more about product differentiation than creating a cheap phone. Now Apple can market this as something new rather than last years model $100 cheaper. Some people might complain about price but the tech in the C is still damn good tech. I'd rather have what we got here than a phone with really old hardware or missing features (like Siri) in order to make it cheaper in price. Apple could have made a cheap phone, but they couldn't have made a good cheap phone.

Something else that doesn't seem to get enough attention is the touch ID. Every hands on review I've read says its basically flawless. I didn't come across one that couldn't get it to work.

http://daringfireball.net/2013/09/iphone_5c_5c_event
post #119 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Maybe that explains what looks like a desperate "we're out of ideas ... Lets trot out the lollipop color offerings that made the iMac great and see if that works again"
So is Nokia out of ideas then too? Because people seem to like the colored Lumias...
post #120 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

Engadget had video demonstrating fingerprint sensor unlock. It did looked fast and took less time then you enter passcode. But video showed that it falsed to siri couple of times as well. Guessing it will be corrected by the time it launches.

You're not supposed to press on the button. So my guess is they were pressing the button. You just rest your finger on it. Someone in the anandtech video covered that while explaining how the feature works. You wake the phone, and then rest your finger on the home button. Then, voila. It's called Touch ID not Press ID. :P

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-touch

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c