or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c uses unique design, precision manufacturing to avoid 'plastic' stigma
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 5c uses unique design, precision manufacturing to avoid 'plastic' stigma - Page 3

post #81 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


i took that to mean Apple isn't ashamed to do plastic because they think they know how to do it right.

 

You're probably right. But I think it's cool to read into the symbolic connotation.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What Wall Street wants with Apple - cheaper prices but still maintaining high margins and profits - is totally unrealistic.

 

Indeed. So Apple *unapologetically* told them to get lost. :)

post #82 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Because it's the design and not the actual plastic that's being done right.

 

*Doing* plastic is not just about choosing the material. It's absolutely spot on to say that Apple is doing plastic right in this instance.

post #83 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

To emerging markets and large families, it's a better iPhone 5 at half the price.

It will sell like crazy and with a healthy margin for Apple.

 

Are you nuts?  On ATT an iPhone 5 costs effectively $1100 + $199 or $1300 when compared to an equivalent BYOD plan on t-Mobile. In other words thats how much extra you pay over 2 years for a similar data plan but with subsidized phone.

 

The 5C effectively costs $1200. 

 

Nowhere near half. Methinks effective marketing has sucked you in nicely.

post #84 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Stock now is down over $20 pre market. I guess I might be wrong about it coming back a bit before the market opens. The stock will get hammered today and for one reason: Wall Street wanted a cheap phone and didnt get it. And if Apple doesn't announce pre-order sales figures for the 5C (or they're not that great) the stock will tank even further.

 

Wall street and a lot of consumers.

post #85 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
 

 

Posers who buy phones as status symbols care what the back looks like because that's what everyone else sees.

post #86 of 179
The 5c will be the low end next year, probably at $400 unsubsidized. It makes sense to replace their mid-tier now with something that they can mass-market price next year.
post #87 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

*Doing* plastic is not just about choosing the material. It's absolutely spot on to say that Apple is doing plastic right in this instance.

I agree but I won't accept that argument from someone who has been ringing the 'cheap plastic' bell for the last 3 years. Many here have confidently proclaimed "Apple moved away from plastic" only to be proven wrong yesterday but now they're lauding the use of plastic. In my book that's hypocritical, but some have integrity, and have openly said that they don't like this move by Apple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #88 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No what?

You compared the build quality of the 5C to the 3G/3GS.

The 3G/3GS looked and felt expensive with their metal knobs and switches as well as the metal surround around the screen.

The build quality of those phones cannot be compared to the kid-friendly 5Cs.
post #89 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

You compared the build quality of the 5C to the 3G/3GS.

The 3G/3GS looked and felt expensive with their metal knobs and switches as well as the metal surround around the screen.

The build quality of those phones cannot be compared to the kid-friendly 5Cs.

The 3G/3GS were also ergonomically designed and felt natural while holding it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #90 of 179
The more I hear and see from Tim Cook the less impressed I get. This was an opportunity for Apple to completely capture the Chinese market for decades by launching a lower cost phone. If they had made a phone exclusively for China Mobile and priced at $450 unlocked, it would have been a game changer. They could have used cheaper components to keep margins around 25 to 30 percent and no one could use the phone elsewhere because China Mobile has a unique 4G frequency. Instead the 5C is priced over $700 in China while competitors are selling smartphones as low as $200. Apple would sacrifice a little bit of margin but be able to griw its ecosystem which is the key value driver for its share price. Instead, Apple is rapidly losing share in China to Android. The content in China is quickly moving away from iOS and once it's lost it's very hard to get back. Tim Cook seems incapable of appreciating this and I really think he needs to go. He's become a hinderence and a very high priced hinderence at that.
post #91 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I just want to know what idiot signed off on this:

 

There should be a "hai" below it, then it would make sense :)

post #92 of 179

He is more a MBA-type number cruncher.  He is not a marketer like Jeff Bezo let alone Steve Jobs.

post #93 of 179
It needs the new cover to really showcase it though. The holey plastic on top of plastic really refines it.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #94 of 179

I really want to be surprised and see the 5C sell like hotcakes (or is that hot cakes).

 

I can't help feeling, though, that Apple is having a Performa moment.

 

Can someone tell me the #1 reason why Apple chose a plastic phone? I mean, really, does plastic, any plastic, say "premium" to you.

 

I thought Apple was classy. Top of the pile. Wouldn't stoop to cheap (or not so cheap) tricks to entertain the masses.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #95 of 179

It's an overpriced plastic phone that Apple has slammed forever.

post #96 of 179

Is the thermoplastic war that Jobs was talking about?

post #97 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I really want to be surprised and see the 5C sell like hotcakes (or is that hot cakes).

I can't help feeling, though, that Apple is having a Performa moment.

Can someone tell me the #1 reason why Apple chose a plastic phone? I mean, really, does plastic, any plastic, say "premium" to you.

I thought Apple was classy. Top of the pile. Wouldn't stoop to cheap (or not so cheap) tricks to entertain the masses.

I'd be willing to bet that the 5C will sell better than had they stood with the 5 as it is now.

#1 reason is cost, there's a finite amount of aluminum in the world thus subjective to supply and demand price increases whereas plastic can be produced over and over again keeping the price relatively static.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #98 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecnguy View Post

it's still plastic..

The iPhone 3GS was still plastic. This is far better.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #99 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

It's an overpriced plastic phone that Apple has slammed forever.

Would the trolls, paid leaders and stupid unpaid followers, take their retarded game elsewhere? It gets really tiring to be exposed to puerile, incompetent opinions from people who either don't understand or have a vested interest in jumping on anything that could be twisted somehow into damaging Apple for no good reason (other than the financial gain of paid bloggers, stock market speculators and Apple's competition).

Most of the idiots complaining about "plastic" would be fine with "carbon fibre composite" but they bitch about polycarbonate plastic, even though carbon fibre composite is f*'n plastic, except it's not even properly recyclable and would be total overkill given the structural requirements of an iPhone.

Talking about high-grade appliances and good design ripped off by Samsung: the dyson vacuum cleaners, top of the crop in their market, are also mostly polycarbonate and there's nothing "cheap" about those, either.

Understand physics, understand chemistry, understand engineering, understand good design; then maybe come back to bitch, but better have reasons based on facts before starting an argument, or be prepared to run with your proverbial tail between your legs.
Edited by rcfa - 9/11/13 at 7:04am
post #100 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I'd be willing to bet that the 5C will sell better than had they stood with the 5 as it is now.

#1 reason is cost, there's a finite amount of aluminum in the world thus subjective to supply and demand price increases whereas plastic can be produced over and over again keeping the price relatively static.

 

So, basically, Apple is willing to trade their "premium" brand status to save a few bucks.

 

[believe me, Apple sells enough products, and also has Cook's expertise at controlling the commodity buying, that aluminum prices wouldn't factor into this decision too much... especially when you sacrifice the brand in exchange)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #101 of 179
Does the cover need hole ventilation because the plastic will tend to overheat?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #102 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


The iPhone 3GS was still plastic. This is far better.

 

... and Apple moved away from that to give its phones a premium feel.

 

Apple didn't want to be just another plastic phone manufacturer.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #103 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I really want to be surprised and see the 5C sell like hotcakes (or is that hot cakes).

I can't help feeling, though, that Apple is having a Performa moment.

Can someone tell me the #1 reason why Apple chose a plastic phone? I mean, really, does plastic, any plastic, say "premium" to you.

I thought Apple was classy. Top of the pile. Wouldn't stoop to cheap (or not so cheap) tricks to entertain the masses.

This really seems like a bean counter/accountant department move.

Switch a high end product to a low end material. Charge the same money and have the new larger marketing department have a field day marketing the plastic model as better than the former metal model.

No Cook and Company. The 5C is not better than the 5. It's just cheaper for you to make. The entire 5C move was to pad margins and increase profits.

Good for shareholders. I'm actually surprised the stock is down. Wall Street should be happy Tim is make a big business move like this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iPhone 3GS was still plastic. This is far better.

What is wrong with you people.

The 5C is no where near as nice as the 3GS. The 3GS felt expensive in the hand and it was a delight to press the metal buttons and switches.

Although both phones are polycarbonate the 3GS looked and felt like a premium product. The 5C does not.
post #104 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I just want to know what idiot signed off on this:


John Waters.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #105 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrolan View Post
 

It's not just plastic, it's fine Corinthian plastic.

 

 

You leave Khan out of it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #106 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

... and Apple moved away from that to give its phones a premium feel.

 

Apple didn't want to be just another plastic phone manufacturer.

 

The Original iPhone before the 3GS was aluminum. So it's not the first time Apple moved away from aluminum manufacturing for the iPhone. Theory: debunked.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #107 of 179
I love the smell of plastic in the morning.
It's Victory.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #108 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Please come off it. Plastic is plastic, I personally have never had a problem with it but many here ridiculed other manufacturers for still using it, and some have stood their ground and criticize the use of plastic by Apple. If you thought it was crappy before yesterday it should still be crappy today.

 

Stood their ground???

But why criticize only Apple for using plastic? These same people don't criticize Motorola, HTC, or Samsung for using plastic. If you thought plastic was not crappy on those phones, it should still be not crappy on the iPhone today.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #109 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stood their ground???
But why criticize only Apple for using plastic? These same people don't criticize Motorola, HTC, or Samsung for using plastic. If you thought plastic was not crappy on those phones, it should still be not crappy on the iPhone today.

Well I didn't think I needed to state the obvious, they've criticized the continued use of plastic by everyone not just Apple. I was talking about the people that criticize Samsung, Moto, HTC, LG, etc for using plastic yet are now giving Apple a pass. If you don't like something don't turn around and like it all of a sudden. It's ok not to like what that company you love does sometimes.
Edited by dasanman69 - 9/11/13 at 7:43am
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #110 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stood their ground???
But why criticize only Apple for using plastic? These same people don't criticize Motorola, HTC, or Samsung for using plastic. If you thought plastic was not crappy on those phones, it should still be not crappy on the iPhone today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well I didn't think I needed to state the obvious, they've criticized the continued use of plastic by everyone


It's not plastic but plastique.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #111 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 

 

The Original iPhone before the 3GS was aluminum. So it's not the first time Apple moved away from aluminum manufacturing for the iPhone. Theory: debunked.

 

Hardly debunked... going from aluminum to plastic and then back to aluminum. Tells me that Jobs didn't think that plastic was the way to go so he went back to the material that best gave him that premium feel (even though the 3GS was far from ugly... but it was plastic). Obviously Cook feels otherwise.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #112 of 179

Anyone who realizes they get a $450 subsidy when they buy a new phone is going to go for the faster and more feature-rich 5S at $200 more, not the much cheaper looking 5C at $100 more.  

 

But I can see the colors and the more drop-firendly plastic appealing for kids ...

 

So it's more like two different phones for two different tastes, as opposed to two different phones at radically different prices.

 

I would still love to see an Apple phone I can recommend to my prepaid phone using friends, but I suppose that just was not feasible thanks to their extremely high price sensitivity.

 

D

post #113 of 179
It could be speed of manufacture, plastic injection moulding could be quicker to turn out than an Al shell.
post #114 of 179
Originally Posted by thecnguy View Post
it's still plastic..

 

There should be a test to prove you read the article before it lets you post. Because you didn't read a word of it and now you look like an idiot.

 

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
No

 

No what? It's obviously different than any other plastic device they've ever made.

 

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
So much for ENVIROMENTALLY FRIENDLY. Don't see this being easily recycled. Well at least the landfills will be colorful.

 

Apple explicitly says otherwise. And since plastic is inherently recyclable, you don't have a leg to stand on. I'm curious as to your point in saying this at all.

 

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

When did TS have a sex change?

 

Connie's a girl? I guess I've always called ConradJoe's accounts 'Connie', so that threw me on the name.

 

Originally Posted by mesicorp View Post
The more I hear and see from Tim Cook the less impressed I get.

 

Stop seeing and listening, then. You're obviously incapable of processing what gets in there already.

 
This was an opportunity for Apple to completely capture the Chinese market for decades by launching a lower cost phone.

 

They have China Mobile now. Did you miss that? I know you did.

 
If they had made a phone exclusively for China Mobile and priced at $450 unlocked, it would have been a game changer.

 

Which you know, because YOU, personally, are 700 million Chinese.

 
They could have used cheaper components to keep margins around 25 to 30 percent…

 

HMM. LET'S SEE. WHAT IS THE IPHONE 5C AGAIN?

 
Instead, Apple is rapidly losing share in China to Android.

 

This has to be wrong, because everything else you've said is also wrong. I just don't know how wrong it is to be able to comment to that effect. Someone want to chime in? Thanks.

 
Tim Cook seems incapable of appreciating this and I really think he needs to go. He's become a hinderence and a very high priced hinderence at that.

 

You seem incapable of appreciating how wrong you are about everything.

 

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Does the cover need hole ventilation because the plastic will tend to overheat?

 

No. Why would it?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #115 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Although both phones are polycarbonate the 3GS looked and felt like a premium product. The 5C does not.

Have you held a 5C already that you can make that claim with conviction? If not then I say let's wait and see what he feels like before passing judgment.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #116 of 179

Apple's marketing is really good. They now tout a steel frame inside the plastic shell !!!

 

As if other plastic phones do not have a steel frame inside. Almost all of them do. There is nothing special with Apple's steel frame inside the plastic shell.

 

And in the USA, you have to be penny wise, pound foolish (or prefer plastic) to buy the 5c over the 5s. $99 + ~$100/month x 24 = $2499 for the 5c or $199 + ~$100/month x 24 = $2599 for the 5s. The 5c is a total 3.8% cheaper than the 5s LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #117 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Although both phones are polycarbonate the 3GS looked and felt like a premium product. The 5C does not.

It's great to see people spew shit who never even held the device in their paws...

Besides, the 5c is not a premium product, but a high-quality mainstream product:
Jaguar driving mommy and Porsche driving daddy buy the 5s, hip youngsters with Freitag messenger bags riding a foldable mountain bike to the next rave sport a 5c in contrasting colors.
Stop talking about taste and fashion you pocket-protector wearing geeks; you have no clue.
post #118 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post



It's not plastic but plastique.

Not in English. In French, yes. We are in USA.

post #119 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post


It's not plastic but plastique.

Then don't complain when the reports of exploding iPhones start pouring in. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #120 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Then don't complain when the reports of exploding iPhones start pouring in. lol.gif

Good one!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 5c uses unique design, precision manufacturing to avoid 'plastic' stigma
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c uses unique design, precision manufacturing to avoid 'plastic' stigma