or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Overhauled Apple TV software with enhanced AirPlay coming Sept. 18
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overhauled Apple TV software with enhanced AirPlay coming Sept. 18

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Along with releasing iOS 7 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, Apple next week will update its set-top box, the Apple TV, with new software that will offer enhanced AirPlay capabilities.

Apple TV


Details on the incoming update were revealed on Wednesday by AllThingsD, citing people familiar with Apple's plans. The software update is reportedly set to arrive on Wednesday, Sept. 18.

While Apple apparently isn't planning on updating the Apple TV hardware, the company is set to launch an "internal overhaul" that will "tweak" the current AirPlay feature, which allows users to stream content from their iOS device or Mac to the set-top box.

After the update, users will reportedly be able to stream purchased content from the iTunes Store to another person's Apple TV, even if it isn't set up with their Apple ID and password. That media will reportedly be streamed directly from the cloud, rather than requiring a local device.

The tweak gives the Apple TV an ability offered by Google's new Chromecast, a $35 media streaming dongle the search giant launched this summer.

Details on Apple's alleged software updates headed for the Apple TV were first revealed last week, suggesting that the latest version will gain additional channels, content and functionality. Apple has been gradually adding new channels to the device in recent months, with the latest push supplying content from Vevo, Disney, the Weather Channel, and the Smithsonian Channel. Prior to that, in June, Apple added HBO Go, WatchESPN, Sky News, CrunchyRoll, and Qello.
post #2 of 71
Ios7 is a continuous surprise... So many new features that weren't mentioned in that hasty keynote.... ???
post #3 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

Ios7 is a continuous surprise... So many new features that weren't mentioned in that hasty keynote.... ???

 

It was already fully demo'ed 3 months back at WWDC. Did you missed that?

post #4 of 71
This feature is nice of course. Why is it taking them so long to put the apps on this device? It would be great to buy 1 game 1 time and play it across all devices. Even though they do not do this with the Mac yet for the most part it would be great to buy a game and play it anywhere without having to think about it.
post #5 of 71
If they're serious about getting iPads in the classroom, they need to enable a web based logon screen for wifi hotspots, and support enterprise security.
post #6 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

This feature is nice of course. Why is it taking them so long to put the apps on this device? It would be great to buy 1 game 1 time and play it across all devices. Even though they do not do this with the Mac yet for the most part it would be great to buy a game and play it anywhere without having to think about it.

The difference in user isn't face comes to mind. If devs can create it 'once' for all iOS devices, this would require way more work to have the same application work on the AppleTV or OSX, no?
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The difference in user isn't face comes to mind.

iOS spell-check? 1wink.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The difference in user isn't face comes to mind.

iOS spell-check? 1wink.gif

"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


:snort::
Note to self: Clean spewed coffee from keyboard
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


The difference in user isn't face comes to mind. If devs can create it 'once' for all iOS devices, this would require way more work to have the same application work on the AppleTV or OSX, no?

 

;-)   (damn autocorrect)

 

But to your point, Until Apple has controllers for appleTV,  There is only one interface.  The iPhone/iPad.  You then airplay the display to the Apple TV.  That's probably 10 lines of code to every Game App out there (I'm sure more... but it's boilerplate).  

 

The bigger issue is moving to multiplayer view mode...  That's new code for all the devices... so back to your point, it would be development work... but on all platforms anyway (I could see 2 people with iphones/ipodTs and playing against an iPad as the common display...

post #11 of 71

Until they put an app store on it they can shovel it up there A$$

post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post


;-)   (damn autocorrect)

But to your point, Until Apple has controllers for appleTV,  There is only one interface.  The iPhone/iPad.  You then airplay the display to the Apple TV.  That's probably 10 lines of code to every Game App out there (I'm sure more... but it's boilerplate).

Good point!

OSX would need a serious rewrite though, I presume?
Quote:

The bigger issue is moving to multiplayer view mode...  That's new code for all the devices... so back to your point, it would be development work... but on all platforms anyway (I could see 2 people with iphones/ipodTs and playing against an iPad as the common display...

Well yes, the more complex the games become the more work. But I'm not a dev, so can only think of what makes sense, to me. Maybe multi-user wouldn't take that much more work, fighting games having the same arsenal at each players' disposal, a tennis game should merely swap the POV and keep separate scores. ....putting it very simple here...
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #13 of 71

Pretty much given up hope for my ATV3 after this long with nothing happening,  but fingers crossed for a speedy jailbreak and seas0npass update for the ATV2 when this is released...

 

Until apple open the ATV up to apps where I can legitimately install a UPNP client I'm not giving up XBMC.

post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

If they're serious about getting iPads in the classroom, they need to enable a web based logon screen for wifi hotspots, and support enterprise security.

They are.   

 

Those  'wifi hotspot' (HTTP[s]) web based login pages  are grossly insecure, which is counter to your 'enterprise security' bit (WPA2 Personal minimally, and if personal passwords... then WPA2 Enterprise against your AD/Radius/LDAP services).  You can't have both.

 

If your school is using a weblogin page for WiFi Login, it's not 'enterprise security').   It's the old 'let's get some grad student to slap up some cheap WiFi' design mode.    My nephew has used an iPad in  Jnr High school for 2 years, and they built out a new infrastructure for the classrooms (new school... built for wireless... very nice), and his only problem was accessing the internet from the college in town (mom worked there), again, a slapped up custom HTTP web login page built on open source routers to federate logins, until they upgraded to WPA2 Enterprise.

 

If you look at schools as an 'enterprise,'   Look for iOS7 to help there... Lots of provisioning management and 'dual use' (personal/corporate) capabilities.  And in a couple years, the std iPad will have TouchID, and that will effectively make for better overall security in schools and universities.... and enterprises. 

 

 

 

ToG (Enterprise Security guy by day).

post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

Until they put an app store on it they can shovel it up there A$$

 

AirPlay.   If you don't agree with their personal centric model of the iOS ecosystem,  opt out. 

post #16 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

:snort::
Note to self: Clean spewed coffee from keyboard

And get a sippy cup. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

Until they put an app store on it they can shovel it up there A$$

My sentiments exactly. It looks like Apple isnt going to make anything out of this "hobby". What a shame...

post #18 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

 

AirPlay.   If you don't agree with their personal centric model of the iOS ecosystem,  opt out.

 

 

Airplay lags and glitches too much for games. It also requires an iOS device or Mac.  If for example a $200 box could do everything natively, its would be better on the performance side and on the cost side.

post #19 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
 
 

Good point!

OSX would need a serious rewrite though, I presume?

Why  Airplay is in there for all apps... and iOS7 (assume that core iOS is in this Sept18 release for aTV) appears to be a pretty big rewrite (64/32bit;-) )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
 
 

Well yes, the more complex the games become the more work. But I'm not a dev, so can only think of what makes sense, to me. Maybe multi-user wouldn't take that much more work, fighting games having the same arsenal at each players' disposal, a tennis game should merely swap the POV and keep separate scores. ....putting it very simple here...

Again, it's the shared view.  The big issue is writing the app is creating a 'shared' view.  If it's multi-user over the net now... you are getting updates on your opponents state... Now you just need to generate a shared view that both can display locally

 

In a local environment... that means using bonjour [or just raw multicast UDP] instead of the cloud for improving performance of the datasharing. 

 

The way cool airplay rewrite [not a airplay developer.... it may be there] is to have 2 visual views on your local device, personal [PoV 'gunsight'], and global [global spatial], and be able to AirPlay the global one, and have the local screen display PoV, and airplay the other out to the common Display.

 

That will take some horsepower.... Oh Wait, an A7chip? offloaded motion to an M7 chip.  a 64GB iPad Mini Rd may be a serious player for this.   

 

NOTE TO ALL THOSE WHO THINK THAT 64BIT ON A MOBILE DEVICE IS A WASTE:  

64 bit doubles the speed of moving data on the SoC and main buses, and improves your non GPU math accuracy.  And all that 'multi-player' mode... well that really requires multi-processing, and well, 64bit  is a lot faster in supporting those context switches for big data apps

 


Edited by TheOtherGeoff - 9/11/13 at 6:41am
post #20 of 71
Fully expecting something big coming for Holiday release. Why else would they have released those controller APIs?
post #21 of 71
More blah.
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Why  Airplay is in there for all apps... and iOS7 (assume that core iOS is in this Sept18 release for aTV) appears to be a pretty big rewrite (64/32bit;-) )?

Games can already output different views, with totally different content on the device vs ATV.
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

 

It was already fully demo'ed 3 months back at WWDC. Did you missed that?

 


Not fully because it was still being worked on. Few features like AirDrop were still being worked on.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Until they put an app store on it they can shovel it up there A$$


 


Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post

My sentiments exactly. It looks like Apple isnt going to make anything out of this "hobby". What a shame...

 


You missed the actual use of a video player I think. It is not designed to be anything but a video box. Play your iTunes videos on a big screen, watch Youtube on the big screen, watch Netflix, or Hulu on big screen. You know like something called a VCR Player, DVD Player, BluRay Player... those are all one funtion boxes. Oh, wait AppleTV is double function, it can do music as well, sorry.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



The difference in user isn't face comes to mind. If devs can create it 'once' for all iOS devices, this would require way more work to have the same application work on the AppleTV or OSX, no?

 


Wait, AppleTV runs full OSX??? since when? It's like saying IE is running full WindowsOS. Not likely.

 


Listen those who want apps on the AppleTV, WHY??? You want to play games, pull out your iPhone or iPad to play, don't need a large screen. Most app's/games for iPad/iPhone need touch screens, do you have a large 55 inch touch screen to play those games/apps on AppleTV with? Only thing I would like to see added to AppleTV is maybe XBMC or something similar to do my own media server instead of transfering everything over to MP4 and to iTunes.

 

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply
post #24 of 71
Until they put BBC iPlayer on there AppleTV is not going to be actively adopted/used in the UK. iPlayer is on almost EVERY other platform - it's a disgrace and a big embarrassment that it's not on AppleTV, particularly as it has been on other iOS devices for years.

Following iPlayer, then we need ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5, all of which also have iOS apps already developed. What in the world is stopping Apple making them available for AppleTV?
The truth is behind you
Reply
The truth is behind you
Reply
post #25 of 71

Someone give me 1 good reason why AppleTV needs an App Store, as opposed to on-going content deals and Apple-designed Apps?

 

1 good reason...

 

I'll wait....

post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post
 

My sentiments exactly. It looks like Apple isnt going to make anything out of this "hobby". What a shame...

 

Am I the only one who finds the AppleTv to be awesome? I love its capabilities... There's so much content at my disposal. 

post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post
 

 

It was already fully demo'ed 3 months back at WWDC. Did you missed that?

 

No, this feature was not in the demonstration or mentioned.  Apple TV was barely mentioned at all.

post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post
 

 

Am I the only one who finds the AppleTv to be awesome? I love its capabilities... There's so much content at my disposal. 

 

I have 2 of them, and it is probably the most used Apple device in the house. It is the best value for certain of any Apple device.

 

People do love them. The people that whine about them are the people that have massive unorganized catalogs of pirated movies and video, and need a complex software program to transcode all of that media to watch on their TV.

post #29 of 71

I'm actually planning on getting one sometime in the next couple weeks - for one reason only.

 

I had PVR'd Season 3 of The Killing, but for some reason two episodes were missing. I see that you can get them on iTunes, but I want to watch them on my 65"plasma. It's a Smart TV, so I could sign up for Netflix and watch it that way, but then I wouldn't have surround.

 

We'll see how it goes. I usually prefer physical media (the only media you truly own), but there might be some more times I find having it useful.

post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

Someone give me 1 good reason why AppleTV needs an App Store, as opposed to on-going content deals and Apple-designed Apps?

 

Because 6 years later, there's still no BBC iPlayer app.

 

Apple can't possible make deals and write apps for every content provider in every country.

post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

 

I have 2 of them, and it is probably the most used Apple device in the house. It is the best value for certain of any Apple device.

 

People do love them. The people that whine about them are the people that have massive unorganized catalogs of pirated movies and video, and need a complex software program to transcode all of that media to watch on their TV.

 

Love both of mine, too. Not just the content from iTunes, hulu, hbo go, netflix, heck even the weather channel, but also the ability to mirror my Mac, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad... love it.

post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post
 

 I usually prefer physical media (the only media you truly own), but there might be some more times I find having it useful.

 What are you, 70? That's absurd. Physical media is an embarrassing waste of money. You don't own it any more than a digital purchase, and from the day you buy it the countdown begins until it is physically non-usable anymore. Not to mention the ease of losing or breaking said media.

 

Show me ANY instance of a digital media purchase being something you don't "own" (as in, can't watch it, stream it, & download and preserve it).

post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

 What are you, 70? That's absurd. Physical media is an embarrassing waste of money. You don't own it any more than a digital purchase, and from the day you buy it the countdown begins until it is physically non-usable anymore. Not to mention the ease of losing or breaking said media.

 

Show me ANY instance of a digital media purchase being something you don't "own" (as in, can't watch it, stream it, & download and preserve it).

As a minimalist, I don't want physical media. I prefer ebooks, digital music and movies. I even opted for digital textbooks in college because I didn't want to lug around 5 textbooks everyday.

post #34 of 71
Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post
Why is it taking them so long to put the apps on this device?


Because they don't want apps to be on the device. Because they don't belong on the device.

 
It would be great to buy 1 game 1 time and play it across all devices.

 

You can do that now.

 

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
Until they put an app store on it they can shovel it up there A$$

 

I take it you don't understand what the product is.

 

Originally Posted by pmz View Post
Someone give me 1 good reason why AppleTV needs an App Store, as opposed to on-going content deals and Apple-designed Apps? 1 good reason… I'll wait

 

I've asked the same thing. They can't. Apple TV is for TELEVISION and will kill off most–if not all–cable and satellite providers when Apple finally starts doing their own content deals. But the people who think they want apps on it? Apparently they've forgotten the means of interaction is a single D-pad and ONE button. Good luck getting anyone to listen to you when you're whining that there's no touchscreen to use. :lol:

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
 

 

Because 6 years later, there's still no BBC iPlayer app.

 

Apple can't possible make deals and write apps for every content provider in every country.

 

Yes they can, for every content provider they wish to add. A few every couple months is not all that daunting.

 

And I've never heard of BBC iPlayer. I have no idea who views content through it, how popular it actually is, or if it makes sense on AppleTV. 

That said, Apple could very well be working out a content deal for that very App, as far as we know.

 

Providing media to the TV is very touchy. Apple can't just open the flood gates. Plus, the AppleTV is not a typical iOS device. Only certain types of Apps make any sense on AppleTV, and Apple can't simply say, "We're open for Apps, but only the kind that make sense on a TV"

post #36 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

 

 

Airplay lags and glitches too much for games. It also requires an iOS device or Mac.  If for example a $200 box could do everything natively, its would be better on the performance side and on the cost side.

 

and how do you think you'll play a game on an appleTV without a iOS device or a Mac?   I don't follow the logic.  What 'Apps' do you want?

post #37 of 71
This sounds better. Bought the first version on sale skipping atv 2. Then bought v 3. Wouldn't be a happy camper if a new version came out every year. That would be dang poor planning on Apple's part, even at a hundred bucks a shot.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post
 

 

It was already fully demo'ed 3 months back at WWDC. Did you missed that?

 

yes, I've missed this particular feature…. can't recall a mention of the Apple TV software during WWDC... 

post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 and how do you think you'll play a game on an appleTV without a iOS device or a Mac?   I don't follow the logic.  What 'Apps' do you want?

Tv channels apps of all major networks.  Like the ipad apps.

Cable apps that could handle there feed into the Apple TV to avoid having a separate cable box.

Put a few USB slots and allow OTA devices and external drives. So PVR apps for OTA and cable.

Video playing apps that play something else than .mp4 and can play from a network drive without itunes being up on a computer.

Game apps, that uses a game controller.

Web browsing, social media, skype, facetime, ...

If you open an app store, people will find good apps to put on it, just like what happen with the iphone app store.

post #40 of 71
Wish they would add the NASA channel...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Overhauled Apple TV software with enhanced AirPlay coming Sept. 18