or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds new wallpapers, ringtones, & alert tones in iOS 7 GM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple adds new wallpapers, ringtones, & alert tones in iOS 7 GM

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
The golden master version of iOS 7, the final preview release before the operating system is made available to the public, brings a number of new wallpapers, ringtones and alert tones.

ios7-new-media-20130911.jpg

Apple on Tuesday released the GM, or Golden Master, seed of iOS 7 to developers, and with it continued their tradition of overhauling the default wallpaper collection with each successive iOS version. Additionally, the updated seed brought the first wide release of the new ringtones and alert sounds the company demonstrated at their iPhone 5s and 5c introduction earlier in the day.

Two wallpapers have been held over from previous iOS versions ? the "lotus blossom," an iOS mainstay since the first generation iPhone, and the "blue wave," which made its first appearance in iOS 4 ? but the collection is otherwise all-new. As in the past, the selections are roughly evenly split between natural photography and computer-generated images, with the color-matched backgrounds that will ship with the iPhone 5c comprising approximately 30 percent of the latter group.

ios7-new-media2-20130911.jpg

Apple also added several new dynamic wallpapers. The dynamic wallpapers, a new iOS 7 feature that allows wallpapers to be moving, rather than static, images, are offered in seven different colors but are otherwise identical.

The updated ringtones and alert tones found in the new seed are starkly divergent from those in previous iOS versions, a nod to the larger user experience overhaul undertaken by Apple in iOS 7. While the previous audio cues were based mostly on physical instruments, the new sounds appear to be purely electronic creations. For users who prefer the older sounds, Apple has retained them in a "Classic" subcategory.

ios7-new-media3-20130911.jpg
post #2 of 31
Alright! Needed some new variety. Hopefully one day they add a custom ringtone maker in the iOS like they did with the vibration feature.

(Yes I know you can make ringtones in GarageBand)
post #3 of 31
I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed 1frown.gif
post #4 of 31

The new tones are great, very refreshing.

post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed 1frown.gif

So am I. Can't believe they got rid of that.
post #6 of 31
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed 1frown.gif

 

What panoramic wallpapers?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #7 of 31
The new locking "click" is very reverberant
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

What panoramic wallpapers?

 

A feature that appeared in the betas that was akin to the experience of the tilt-a-whirl.

 

You could set a panoramic photo as walloper and it would slide around as you moved the phone. Tried it for 3 seconds and got instant motion sickness.

post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamilton1 View Post

The new locking "click" is very reverberant

 

Yes, as are all of the Classic sounds that have been remastered.

 

The new default text tone Ding has a very long fading reverberation akin to a tuning fork. Very, very cool. Its sounds incredibly life-like.

post #10 of 31
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

A feature that appeared in the betas that was akin to the experience of the tilt-a-whirl.

 

You could set a panoramic photo as walloper and it would slide around as you moved the phone. Tried it for 3 seconds and got instant motion sickness.

 

Hmm. Sounds dumb. I thought perhaps he meant that if you set a panorama as your wallpaper it would move in the background as you swiped through pages on the Springboard. That would be decent, I think. A way to get people to take more panoramas, at least.

 

Now, the animated wallpapers… how would we make more of those? The bokeh Apple has chosen are nice, but I'd like a darker one.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Hmm. Sounds dumb. I thought perhaps he meant that if you set a panorama as your wallpaper it would move in the background as you swiped through pages on the Springboard. That would be decent, I think. A way to get people to take more panoramas, at least.

 

Now, the animated wallpapers… how would we make more of those? The bokeh Apple has chosen are nice, but I'd like a darker one.

 

The Dynamic Wallpapers are very nice. So far I've seen no noticeable battery drain on iPad when using them, and a slight but noticeable increase in battery drain on the iPhone 5.

 

I'm hoping Apple adds a section to the iTunes store (or App Store?) for purchasable Dynamic Wallpapers, that developers can create and submit (Like the Tones store).

post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm sad that it looks like panoramic wallpapers have been removed 1frown.gif

Really? Didn't CF tout it as a major feature at WWDC?

 

I recall thinking that it looked VERY cool. :\

post #13 of 31

I'm starting to get it.  iOS 7 and the iPhone 5c are all about 'accessorizing'

post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? Didn't CF tout it as a major feature at WWDC?

I recall thinking that it looked VERY cool. 1hmm.gif

You're probably thinking of the parallax feature, which is still present. Panoramic wallpapers actually took your panorama photos in our camera roll to make a panning wallpaper that spun as you moved your phone.
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? Didn't CF tout it as a major feature at WWDC?

I recall thinking that it looked VERY cool. 1hmm.gif

Panoramas are still there.
post #16 of 31

Always an amusing feature and with 7's more translucent design possibly even more useful than previously. Many's the time I've chosen an image I like for the wallpaper and then immediately found it just didn't work behind the apps icons....

post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post


You're probably thinking of the parallax feature, which is still present. Panoramic wallpapers actually took your panorama photos in our camera roll to make a panning wallpaper that spun as you moved your phone.

 

People keep using words like "spun" and "tilt-a-whirl" when it's hardly appropriate.  They were simply panoramic pictures that you could set as wallpaper like a landscape so that each successive home page used a different section of it.  From what I saw there was nothing "gut wrenching" about it.  

 

I was really looking forward to it and it's a shame they've removed it (if they have).  

I had a long landscape of Altair 4 done up all ready for use.  :(

post #18 of 31

I've always wanted a subtly moving wallpaper with different environments (for phone and desktop) that would change with the local time and weather. A "living" wallpaper, if you will.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 31

They redid almost all of the sounds on the GM. The lock noise, text tones (while the app is open), and even charging noise have all changed.

post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
 

 

People keep using words like "spun" and "tilt-a-whirl" when it's hardly appropriate.  They were simply panoramic pictures that you could set as wallpaper like a landscape so that each successive home page used a different section of it.  From what I saw there was nothing "gut wrenching" about it.  

 

I was really looking forward to it and it's a shame they've removed it (if they have).  

I had a long landscape of Altair 4 done up all ready for use.  :(

 

According to devs testing the GM it's gone.

 

I too was very excited for the feature. It would finally give Pano shots taken with iPhone 4S+ a purpose.

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Alright! Needed some new variety. Hopefully one day they add a custom ringtone maker in the iOS like they did with the vibration feature.

(Yes I know you can make ringtones in GarageBand)

 

There is nothing preventing third party apps from creating such app. In fact, I am sure there are plenty in the app store.

post #22 of 31
So the old tones are retained in a "Classic" subcategory, but not the old wallpapers? Seems kinda inconsistent. Oh well, I've saved all the images anyway.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
 

 

People keep using words like "spun" and "tilt-a-whirl" when it's hardly appropriate.  They were simply panoramic pictures that you could set as wallpaper like a landscape so that each successive home page used a different section of it.  From what I saw there was nothing "gut wrenching" about it.  

 

I was really looking forward to it and it's a shame they've removed it (if they have).  

I had a long landscape of Altair 4 done up all ready for use.  :(

 

I'm afraid you're wrong. The panorama wallpapers didn't display a different page of the image as you slide though the home pages.

 

As long as you held the phone still, the background image would stay the same on all home pages. If you moved the phone physically to the left or right (or if you spun your body in a circle), then the panorama would slide as if it were staying in place whilst you moved.

 

This video may help to demonstrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REq8akbGkXA

 

I also found it a bit disorientating.

post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistervolition View Post

I'm afraid you're wrong. The panorama wallpapers didn't display a different page of the image as you slide though the home pages.

As long as you held the phone still, the background image would stay the same on all home pages. If you moved the phone physically to the left or right (or if you spun your body in a circle), then the panorama would slide as if it were staying in place whilst you moved.

This video may help to demonstrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REq8akbGkXA

I also found it a bit disorientating.

I wish it was still an option.

Makes better use of the parallax effect than a standard picture.
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamilton1 View Post

The new locking "click" is very reverberant

 


Click what click... oh wait, those silly key click or button clicking sounds... sorry, that has been the first thing turned off since my first gen iPhone. Can't stand the clicks when doing anything, even taking a picture. I'll prob go through all the new sounds when I upgrade my iOS, but I have all custom sounds for all my contacts and such, so not used default sounds in years.

 

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply
post #26 of 31
The panorama feature is not gone. It is still there. It does not show up unless you actually take a panorama with the phone otherwise iphone crops the panorama and it shows up as a still
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by djd214 View Post

The panorama feature is not gone. It is still there. It does not show up unless you actually take a panorama with the phone otherwise iphone crops the panorama and it shows up as a still

Thanks! That's awesome!

Could you possibly post a demo of it here?
post #28 of 31
I can not. I will not put that hideous looking interface on my phone. It shouldn't be GM until they actually design the icons and get rid of the neon color palette.
post #29 of 31
What's with the skeuomorphic thought behind iTunes Radio? It's not a radio.
post #30 of 31

I updated my iPhone 5 to IOS7 before it was released to the public, as a developer friend was able to add my phone's ID number to his account. Since the update has been released to the public, I am yet to see any new wallpapers, ringtones or alert tones, and I am not able to do a fresh update. I also have an iPad which I waited until public release to update and this has all of the new features. Does anyone know what I should do? :/

 

HELP!

post #31 of 31
Originally Posted by daniellejwx View Post
Does anyone know what I should do? :/

 

Obviously don’t install prerelease software when you’re not entitled to it.

 

Just direct download iOS 7, go to iTunes, and click “Restore” while holding Option (unless you’re on a PC, then Shift). Find the file you just downloaded and let iTunes restore it manually.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds new wallpapers, ringtones, & alert tones in iOS 7 GM