or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple rumored to release new Apple TV product in coming weeks

Apple rumored to release new Apple TV product in coming weeks

post #1 of 57
Coming on the heels of news that Apple is possibly looking to release new Apple TV software on Sept. 18 alongside the iOS 7 launch, fresh rumors are pointing to a hardware upgrade that could come as soon as October.

Apple TV

A tweet from MG Siegler on Wednesday trumped an earlier report that claimed Apple is working on an Apple TV software update, saying the company is prepping a new Apple TV hardware product for release sometime in the coming weeks.

"I guess those excited about a software refresh in a week are gonna be *really* excited when new Apple TV hardware is unveiled next month," Siegler tweeted.

Some industry watchers were expecting Apple to announce new Apple TV software at Tuesday's iPhone event.

Not much more was offered in the way of specifics, though some analysts, such as Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, believe Cupertino is working on a full-fledged television. No "leaks" or hard evidence has surfaced supporting an imminent rollout, though Apple recently took receipt of multiple shipments labeled "Set Top Box" from a known Chinese supplier.

Rumors of an Apple branded television set were first sparked when it was revealed in 2011 that Steve Jobs "cracked" the secret to building an intuitive integrated device.

Apple last updated its set top streamer in March 2012, adding 1080p playback, a new UI and closer ties with iCloud.
post #2 of 57
I think Gene just ejaculated over his keyboard.
post #3 of 57
It is but it isn't- then again it is - no it isn't......1rolleyes.gif

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #4 of 57

I'm not falling for this again

post #5 of 57
If SJ "cracked" the secret in 2011 then it's time for Apple to put up or shut up.

post #6 of 57

But they haven't said anything...

post #7 of 57

I'm hoping to see an Al Sharpton/Apple story here, because I just read about it elsewhere, and I have a few comments to make about that. Surely that is Apple related news.

Let the racist bastard attempt to boycott Apple, I welcome it!

post #8 of 57
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
If SJ "cracked" the secret in 2011 then it's time for Apple to put up or shut up.

Who says you haven't already been shut up?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who says you haven't already been shut up?

Please, I beg of you!
Master!
No!
Don't!
lol.gif

post #10 of 57

Such an announcement might bludgeon the stock to under $300.  /s

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 57
Please, I beg of you!
Master!
No!
Don't!
1devil.gif

I liked the laugh better.

I mean to say that who says the relevant software hasn't already been released?

Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/11/13 at 2:05pm

post #12 of 57
Quote:

That really depends on how long it takes to get from the idea/concept to the actual working product, infrastructure, and content deals to make it a reality. Since we don't know what SJ meant, it's really hard to say how long it should take. Every other manufacturer is flailing around with SmartTV solutions in the attempt to preempt Apple. I don't believe any have really been successful yet.

post #13 of 57

I'll believe it when I see it

post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some industry watchers were expecting Apple to announce new Apple TV software at Tuesday's iPhone event.

Who?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is that you or Gruber talking?

post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm hoping to see an Al Sharpton/Apple story here, because I just read about it elsewhere, and I have a few comments to make about that. Surely that is Apple related news.

Let the racist bastard attempt to boycott Apple, I welcome it!

Why a boycott?  Apple's had a black iPhone longer than they've had the white one. :P

post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Such an announcement might bludgeon the stock to under $300.  /s

Exactly!!! Just look at their recent announcement: the 5S. It's just the same letter over and over; same phone for 7 years! I mean, they couldn't think of another letter to use? What about the 5X? My Samsung Galaxy Prime Skateboard Note 4 GLS XL 20,000 JR has 8 flash bulbs, 3 fans, a 5.6" screen and stretchy-neck-away! technology®. Apple has run out of ideas. Apple is d00med!!

Edited by Ireland - 9/11/13 at 2:31pm
post #18 of 57
Yep... just a rumor until Jim Dalrymple says 'Yep'
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow.... Just Wow

No need to ask how old you are.

Wow

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
post #20 of 57
Quote:

How do we know Steve Jobs wasn't just giving Walter Isaacson BS?
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post

Why a boycott?  Apple's had a black iPhone longer than they've had the white one. :P

I read that as the black iPhone is longer than the white one :/

post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

They cracked how the UI would work, how the product would work, but they never cracked the getting the owner of said product all the TV Shows they want in a subscription package that makes sense so the expensive TV could be subsidised, which is why we still haven't seen a real Apple TV. It really doesn't need to be over-thought more than this.

post #23 of 57
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

package

No, that's the problem.

post #24 of 57
Quote:

I liked the laugh better.

I meant to say that who says the relevant software hasn't already been released?

Interesting- you think it may already be out there but that we are just not using it to it's full potential due to licensing or what have you and there may not be an actual physical TV needed in itself as it all in the box? Hopefully the new box is it then.

post #25 of 57

Nothing short of a full fledged TV interests me, and if they were doing that we'd have had a lot more rumour from the factories producing it I think. 

Any revised box can only be for games (who cares) and/or cable integration which will of course be USA only (quadruple who cares).  

post #26 of 57
Interesting- you think it may already be out there but that we are just not using it to it's full potential due to licensing or what have you and there may not be an actual physical TV needed in itself as it all in the box? Hopefully the new box is it then.

I believe by 'cracked' he meant either 'these fools are going to believe this crap and waste money scrambling about it for years' or 'it's the software and content deals, stupid'.

post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'll believe it when I see it

Exactly.  To go from arguably one of the worst interfaces ever, on a non-integrated product, to a "miraculous" (and presumably best) interface on an integrated product in one step is a bit bite to take.  

I'm guessing it's actually a minor revision of the hardware that includes some kind of USA only cable integration of *some* cable companies, or it doesn't do anything at all with cable and it's just an announcement that they have a deal with HBO and a few others (in other words more icons).  

post #28 of 57
Quote:
No, that's the problem.

I hope you dont think "a la carte" programming will be cheaper than cable packages. I have "a la carte" here and its about the same price of a medium size package. The plus side is I get ALL the channels I want without having to take a 10 channels package just to get one, but in the end I still pay $60/month. All I have with this is the mandatory basic channel lineup and a choice of 15 channels.  

Apple is overpricing everything it does, if people think they will save money with this they are not paying attention. A better quality service, maybe, better prices, I dont think so.

post #29 of 57
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

arguably one of the worst interfaces ever

Talking about version 3, are you. I'll get behind that. :lol:

post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post

Apparently, there are no black people on Apple's board (so what). The race hustlers are looking to shakedown Apple now maybe, as they have done in the past with other companies.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/11/al-sharpton-puts-apple-his-crosshairs-decrying-all/

All racists and race hustlers out there are welcome to switch to Android. Who needs them.

post #31 of 57
Quote:

Technically we don't but it seems counter to the notion of volunteering to working on a bio.

Equally we have no idea if this was Steve's idea for the simplest UI, if there is more and what the hold up is

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #32 of 57

I've always wondered why the Apple TV is black and the Airport stuff is white.

post #33 of 57
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I've always wondered why the Apple TV is black and the Airport stuff is white.

Apple TV came first, but AirPort's color came first. And who wants to be sold an "Apple TV" that turns out to be an AirPort Express?

post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is that you or Gruber talking?

Who's Gruber?
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apparently, there are no black people on Apple's board (so what). The race hustlers are looking to shakedown Apple now maybe, as they have done in the past with other companies.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/11/al-sharpton-puts-apple-his-crosshairs-decrying-all/

All racists and race hustlers out there are welcome to switch to Android. Who needs them.

I know you really want to bring this up, but no one is biting. Wait for the article. Argue on anther site that has the article. Or discuss the Apple TV. No need to completely derail this thread please.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #36 of 57
Quote:

Sorry, but that's a pretty nutty suggestion. What other conspiracy theories do you subscribe to?:-)
post #37 of 57
[Edging out on a limb.] We saw the gaming potential in the 4S reveal. Do you always want to play it on a small screen? Might we see some gaming integration into the AppleTV? Would it trump Sony's new TV toy quickly and handily?
post #38 of 57

LOL..it will probably just be smaller and ship without a remote with the expectation that you would have to use your iOS device to control it. Of course a remote will be available for an extra charge of $29.95.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #39 of 57

Munster will have a coronary and die if apple brings out a full television.  I think the guys stuck in a rut so deep he can't get out now.

post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger7 View Post

[Edging out on a limb.] We saw the gaming potential in the 4S reveal. Do you always want to play it on a small screen? Might we see some gaming integration into the AppleTV? Would it trump Sony's new TV toy quickly and handily?

With the A7 and open 3.0 capabilities- this is a very real possibility. Particularly with a controller module of some type like they've been wanting devs to work on. Maybe a 199 device w/ 16gb? I'd gladly pay.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple rumored to release new Apple TV product in coming weeks