or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hands-on with the new Grey, Gold & Silver iPhone 5s with leather cases

Hands-on with the new Grey, Gold & Silver iPhone 5s with leather cases - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
Sadly, that was along time ago.  :)

"Long ago" phone or girlfriend? :D

post #42 of 83
Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that they went so far out of their way to eliminate faux leather grain from iOS but then tout these leather grained cases?
post #43 of 83
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that they went so far out of their way to eliminate faux leather grain from iOS but then tout these leather grained cases?

Can leather stop looking like leather?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I use a simple 'ultraslim' SENA case where the phone just slides in/out. The phone stays fully protected when not in use, and I get to touch/feel the real thing -- nothing more, nothing less -- when I need to actually use it.

There are two problems with those cases, however: (i) I've had to replace them once a year (since the stitching and the leather expand with regular use); (ii) The model with the hole for the lightning connector does not have a hole for the headphone jack, and vice versa.

y'know something like that may actually work though not what I originally considered...esp because I'm one of those practical people who actually likes to use a holster instead of carrying it in my hands all the time (or shoving in my jeans pocket).  Adds geekiness to my "look" but oh well...thanks.

post #45 of 83
The Black `Space Gray' is an homage to NeXTSTEP. It's the one I'm buying and nice to see the teams still remember.
post #46 of 83
Quote:

It would be odd if they chose plastic that looked like leather. Leather is leather.
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Apple also offers a series of five leather form-fit cases ($39 each) for the three metallic finishes of iPhone 5s, in yellow, beige, blue, brown, black and Product(Red).

Pretty sure that's six, Dilger.  ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post
...snarkish remark: DED should re-title to "The 25 second hands on review".

Yeah, was thinking the same thing.  With all the stuff stolen from the Keynote, at first I wondered if he'd even gotten those 25 seconds.  That's not an unfair complaint -- this doesn't quite fit the "hands-on" genre, does it?

But we clicked...

post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

DED - Could you at least use iMovie to create a decent video i.e., edit the background sound out.

They're not his video's; these were upped on YouTube yesterday by a different user. One would presume he'd use his own channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

PS why is DED putting his name over other people's video?

It's not anyone else's video. 

Link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
PS why is DED putting his name over other people's video?

Hey, yeah. Already has an AppleInsider watermark; why does it need another?

The narcism-ist ¡
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And I have friends who had to replace their back on the 4/4S because they dropped their phone and the glass broke. I dropped my iPhone 5 (when it was caseless) and all I had were a couple nicks around the chamfered edges. Otherwise not a scratch.

Hope you are correct that is the 5 is just or more durable as the 4S, I for one don't like cases.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #50 of 83
When I first heard "Gold", I thought it would look like something Quark would carry on Deep Space Nine, but it's much more subdued, like all the Fords in their ads for a few years there. It was a little wimpy for a car, actually, but looks pretty good on the iPhone.

I really preferred the much redder, coppery bronze metallic in all the Nissan ads—if Apple comes out with that color, I'd be all over that! Back in the real world, I guess it's "Space Gray" for me....
post #51 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

When I first heard "Gold", I thought it would look like something Quark would carry on Deep Space Nine, but it's much more subdued, like all the Fords in their ads for a few years there. It was a little wimpy for a car, actually, but looks pretty good on the iPhone.

I really preferred the much redder, coppery bronze metallic in all the Nissan ads—if Apple comes out with that color, I'd be all over that! Back in the real world, I guess it's "Space Gray" for me....

I also thought I'd go for the gray one, but looking at the gold one in a red case...not bad. Though I wasn't planning on putting it in a case; didn't do that with my 5.

post #52 of 83
Quote:

I also thought I'd go for the gray one, but looking at the gold one in a red case...not bad. Though I wasn't planning on putting it in a case; didn't do that with my 5.

I never noticed they removed the home button icon until now. That's the first time they've done that in an iOS device. Looks a bit odd but at least the ring highlights the button.
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The Black `Space Gray' is an homage to NeXTSTEP. It's the one I'm buying and nice to see the teams still remember.
So it was the software team that came up with that name then?
post #54 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

When the next generation iPhone comes out, I think these two-tone designs are going to look like something from the '70s--as if they don't already.

That would be avocado and orange though, with a shag pile case 1wink.gif
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I never noticed they removed the home button icon until now. That's the first time they've done that in an iOS device. Looks a bit odd but at least the ring highlights the button.

I noticed that too and hunted around to see if I could find a picture of the grey model showing the ring real well. I couldn't. Even on the Apple website all the face shots of the grey model are cut off above the home button. I'm sure it's subtle as compared the gold or silver on white. I guess that's why there isn't an all black model, so there is a little contrast to the ring to indicate the button. I'm in the market for this one. I think I'll go grey. But I'm keeping an open mind.
post #56 of 83
That gold is just hideous..
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

So it was the software team that came up with that name then?

Hmm, I presume he means the colour:

post #58 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I noticed that too and hunted around to see if I could find a picture of the grey model showing the ring real well.

post #59 of 83
Quote:

hot.

post #60 of 83
Thank you guys.
post #61 of 83
Quote:

I'm not sure what th point of getting the gold one is if you are going to put it in the red case that literally covers every inch of it.  

post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not sure what th point of getting the gold one is if you are going to put it in the red case that literally covers every inch of it.

Good point! I guess I liked the contrast of the white with the red. Besides, the dock only takes the 5S without a case, so I guess this will easy my decision on just two models now 1biggrin.gif
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The 5c cases reportedly fit the 5s. ...

Just because no one has countered this, I have to say this is quite unlikely to be true as the phones are a different shape and thickness. 

post #64 of 83
Quote:

Good point! I guess I liked the contrast of the white with the red. Besides, the dock only takes the 5S without a case, so I guess this will easy my decision on just two models now 1biggrin.gif

I'm really happy that they brought back the dock.  I hope it works with the 5 as well (I can't see why it shouldn't), as I'm still not sold on the 5s.  

It's a good upgrade but a thousand dollars every year for a new phone is a bit much, I'm really disappointed that Apple hasn't made any attempt to produce a cost effective phone yet or any other alternative to this silly system.  

post #65 of 83
Quote:

I'm really happy that they brought back the dock.  I hope it works with the 5 as well (I can't see why it shouldn't), as I'm still not sold on the 5s.  

It's a good upgrade but a thousand dollars every year for a new phone is a bit much, I'm really disappointed that Apple hasn't made any attempt to produce a cost effective phone yet or any other alternative to this silly system.  

Who buys a new phone every year? I bet it is less than 1% of existing iphone 5 owners. Why should Apple cater to the 1%?
post #66 of 83
Quote:

Just because no one has countered this, I have to say this is quite unlikely to be true as the phones are a different shape and thickness. 

I just checked the Apple store app and the q&a section for the 5c case, consensus seems that they don't fit the 5s like you say. Although the leather 5s case is compatible with the (old) 5.
post #67 of 83
Quote:

Because leather is cool in the real world and not the cyber world.
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yet this iPhone is officially called the 5s with the squarish home button icon around the s?
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Yet this iPhone is officially called the 5s with the squarish home button icon around the s?

It actually looks like it has the slightly more rounded corners of the new app icon design of iOS7. So I guess that round rectangle doesn't represent the home button but an app icon outline.
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Who buys a new phone every year? I bet it is less than 1% of existing iphone 5 owners. Why should Apple cater to the 1%?

I do as it's cheaper than getting a new one every other year, because of the high resale value.
post #71 of 83
Now this:

post #72 of 83
Quote:

Ha, that is funny. But you know, they relocated leather to where it is best suited...in the real world. Leather has certain visual appeal, but it stems mostly from the "feel". Not everyone loves it, but it is a class-a material to wrap just about anything. No jokes plz.
post #73 of 83
Quote:

Hey, I guess I'm finally in the 1%! 😉
But AT&T gives a discounted price (not a full subsidy) after one year, so if you can sell your old one for a reasonable amount, it ends up only being $250-300 for a new one every year.
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever2 View Post

Quote:

Hey, I guess I'm finally in the 1%! 😉
But AT&T gives a discounted price (not a full subsidy) after one year, so if you can sell your old one for a reasonable amount, it ends up only being $250-300 for a new one every year.

I'm in the same boat: The 5 64GB goes for €500-€600 over here, getting the new one will be around €250. That's €20/m and way less than what telco's charge for their 'offerings'.

SIM-only is the-only-way.
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm definitely getting an iPhone 5S, and I'm disappointed to say that I will ALSO definitely be getting one of these cases. Because, they are A) form fit unlike anything else you'll find from anyone.

How would you know this?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robledal View Post

For those of you that have had the privilege to touch the 5S, please verify for me that it is exactly the same chassis as the 5.

It's the same.

post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I miss the black finish, looked really good on the iPhone 5 (at least when new) this new silver-grey finish doesn't do it for me at all, in photos and videos anyway, maybe it'll be better in the metal? I do like the champagne gold version though. That's the one I'm going to get I think, with either the beige, brown or red leather case, haven't decided yet.

3 nicest cases, I'll give you that.

post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

I'm gett
I'm getting the space gray. I'll probably get the green leather case as well.

Green?

post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I miss the black finish, looked really good on the iPhone 5 (at least when new) this new silver-grey finish doesn't do it for me at all.

IMO the grey/gray is far nicer than slate/black, but the space grey name is terribly gimmicky sounding to my ears. They should have called it gunmetal-grey if they had to come up with a cheeky name, but personally I think they should have simply called it grey.

post #80 of 83
Quote:

The Black `Space Gray' is an homage to NeXTSTEP.

That's the story you're telling yourself? I think the slate is gone because it didn't hold up well to scratches.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hands-on with the new Grey, Gold & Silver iPhone 5s with leather cases