or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID - Page 2

post #41 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Any objective person can see that the 5S destroys the myth that Apple lost its mojo and is no longer the leading innovator.

The 5S is at least a generation ahead of any other smartphone, being:

   *  FIRST with ARM's 64 bit architecture in the incredibly fast A7 SoC processor which is an amazing 40 times faster than the original iPhone and with its doubling of graphics speed over the already superfast iPhone 5;  

   * FIRST with the separate M chip which hugely reduces battery drain while operating 24-7 (lets hope they've patented the idea although Samsung will doutless copy it anyway) which will lead to many new mobility and fitness Apps and gadgets.

    * FIRST with the their state of the art Athentec fingerprint scanner which provides really easy to use, reliable and exceptionally high level security

   * FIRST with the really well thought out, advanced new camera hardware and software which needs the 64 bit power

  *  all combined with iOS 7 which has been highly acclaimed by most critics and is almost certainly going to be a huge hit with users.

I'm quite excited about the 5s, but I believe the motox sets aside a couple of low power cores for sensor processing. I think it's still on the main die but Motorola have already implemented an M7 style of architecture. Perhaps not physically, but certainly in principle.

I'm also running ios7 on my 4s and I must say there some weird incongruencies which I don't like.

The interface is flat, then it goes 3d in unexpected places, like tab selection in safari.

The elastic effect when scrolling in the notes app reveals a canvas that is not quite the same colour.

There's also a stipple background in that app, where nearly all the other Ui elements have been rid of textures.

Losing the frames around the buttons can make things look a little unbalanced.

Minor quibbles, but it just takes off some of the polish on what is really a great Ui overhaul given the timeframes in which it was done.
post #42 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

Well said.

 

I would encourage everyone to watch the keynote. :)

 

You'so right.

 

I simply cannot understand why Apple does not broadcast their events live.

 

By not doing so they leave the field open to bloggers and commentatos who have a field day bashing Apple.

 

Yet again I have had to suffer the inane, self important chatter of cnet's live blog,  and listen to stupid, racist imitations of Jonathan Ives British accent. 

 

It is only afterwards, watching Apple's recorded launch event, that one gets the real full picture and you realise just how much significant stuff was missing from cnet's live blog and just how ill informed and misleading were much of cnet's bloggers' attention seeking, childish comments were.

 

Common Apple, get smart and show your events LIVE

post #43 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see some websites are knocking touch ID because it won't work in every possible situation. One example given was someone in an accident with burned fingers. Seriously? Are these same people complaining about Google Glass when bars, restaurants, etc. ban the device from their establishment? Oh and it's being knocked for no 3rd party support. Could that be because while Apple has tested it, they didn't test it on millions of people? Perhaps Apple prefers to go slow when it comes to security, especially with brand new technology they're introducing to the phone? To me it makes perfect sense that there is no 3rd party support right now.

 

Well those websites and people are just butthurt Fandroids grasping at whatever straws they can find. The iPhone 5s is a killer phone, and it blows everything else away.

 

Somebody was in an accident and has terribly burned fingers? Well, what a damn shame. Touch ID is not for them probably. They can continue to use a regular password. Should companies not innovate or include features because one person might have been in an accident, missing a leg, 7 fingers, 1 ear, 1 testicle and their left eye? :lol: That's a truly moronic argument to make, but Fandroids are of course known to make truly moronic arguments.

 

I also love how all of the butthurt Fandroids who live and die by specs are all of a sudden downplaying the whole 64 bit thing, which is huge!:lol: Good luck to Samsung with their not yet released 64 bit devices running on the horror that is called Android.:lol:

 

And I also love people who point out that fingerprint authentication has been on previous devices before, though they fail to mention that it was nothing more than a simple gimmick that did not work properly, until Apple came along and did it right of course.

post #44 of 158
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I see some websites are knocking touch ID because it won't work in every possible situation. One example given was someone in an accident with burned fingers. Seriously? Are these same people complaining about Google Glass when bars, restaurants, etc. ban the device from their establishment?

 

"Of course Google Glass doesn't work if your eyes have been gouged out! How stupid can you get?"
"How dare Apple make their fingerprint sensor not work with burned fingers! Who do they think they are?"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #45 of 158

Really an impressive set of new features.  Very meaningful improvements here.

 

I honestly thought they would replace the 4S with the 5c to have a complete lineup of 4" screens with lightning connectors, but now I see why.  This gives people one more year to cling desperately to their 30-pin connector while simultaneously positioning Apple perfectly for next year's lineup:

 

  • 5c - Low end
  • 5s - High end
  • 6 - High end with a large screen

 

After that, they're updating internals every year but maintaining exterior facades.  This will probably turn into a 4 phone lineup:

 

  • 5c - Low end
  • 5s - High end
  • 6c - Low end with a large screen
  • 6s - High end with a large screen

 

At that point, the 5 and 6 are irrelevant.

Rather, c is to Air as s is to Pro.

c : Air :: s : Pro

post #46 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post


I'm quite excited about the 5s, but I believe the motox sets aside a couple of low power cores for sensor processing. I think it's still on the main die but Motorola have already implemented an M7 style of architecture. Perhaps not physically, but certainly in principle.

I'm also running ios7 on my 4s and I must say there some weird incongruencies which I don't like.

The interface is flat, then it goes 3d in unexpected places, like tab selection in safari.

The elastic effect when scrolling in the notes app reveals a canvas that is not quite the same colour.

There's also a stipple background in that app, where nearly all the other Ui elements have been rid of textures.

Losing the frames around the buttons can make things look a little unbalanced.

Minor quibbles, but it just takes off some of the polish on what is really a great Ui overhaul given the timeframes in which it was done.

 

 I haven't yet installed iOS but I'm looking forward to it and will watch out for the features you point out.

 

However, presumably you have a Beta version. I understand quite a few improvements have been made to the final version. It may be that they have addressed some of your criticisms?

 

Thanks for your comments on Motorola and their similar technology to the M7 chip. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

post #47 of 158
DED -- Good article.

It was factual, concise, informative and gathered and fleshed-out information from several sources.

The short videos were good -- but the "hands on" title was a bit deceptive.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #48 of 158
The technical discussion of 64-bitness is really good, but I'm not sure you made a case for it vs. those claiming it's about the future. You made a case that it can be supported for computationally intensive cases, which is good when it does get supported. And there appear to be a few, limited internal uses for it in iOS itself. But multiple cores also would support some/all of things, albeit in different ways. And those are also a great (better?) way to manage low-power states -- although the M7 seems nice in that regard. But for a company that has long insisted specs don't matter, it's interesting they went for a computationally more complex chips that they don't seem to be claiming will improve battery life at all (in fact, it might be a bit worse, saved by the M7 and slightly larger battery) rather than a multi-core solution with power optimization. It really seems to be about the future, the iPad and perhaps the AppleTV. And it's being in the iPhone 5S to make it "flagship".
post #49 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post


I'm quite excited about the 5s, but I believe the motox sets aside a couple of low power cores for sensor processing. I think it's still on the main die but Motorola have already implemented an M7 style of architecture. Perhaps not physically, but certainly in principle.

I'm also running ios7 on my 4s and I must say there some weird incongruencies which I don't like.

The interface is flat, then it goes 3d in unexpected places, like tab selection in safari.

The elastic effect when scrolling in the notes app reveals a canvas that is not quite the same colour.

There's also a stipple background in that app, where nearly all the other Ui elements have been rid of textures.

Losing the frames around the buttons can make things look a little unbalanced.

Minor quibbles, but it just takes off some of the polish on what is really a great Ui overhaul given the timeframes in which it was done.

 

I just have to say that the bolded statement seems terribly devoid of perspective.  To say so simply that the iOS 7 interface is flat... that's just not true.  Rather, it is flat in places, but hints at depth in countless ways.

 

  • Number keys disappear when dialing to reveal the background below.
  • Apps and app folders zoom in and out as if they're always just running.
  • Translucency is used everywhere to remind the user that there is both a foreground and a background.
  • Parallax motion provides a sense of depth between layers.

 

This is just the obvious stuff off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are numerous other 3d examples to be cited.  Tab selection in Safari is perfectly in line with iOS 7's design language because it emphasizes the user's sense of layers within space.

 

While iOS 7 uses a number of flat design elements, it is far from flat.

post #50 of 158
I was debating whether to buy the 5S -- but I am going to do it just to get that neat fill in the fingerprint game...

kinda' like rolling a little ball through a maze...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #51 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post
 

Really an impressive set of new features.  Very meaningful improvements here.

 

I honestly thought they would replace the 4S with the 5c to have a complete lineup of 4" screens with lightning connectors, but now I see why.  This gives people one more year to cling desperately to their 30-pin connector while simultaneously positioning Apple perfectly for next year's lineup:

 

  • 5c - Low end
  • 5s - High end
  • 6 - High end with a large screen

 

After that, they're updating internals every year but maintaining exterior facades.  This will probably turn into a 4 phone lineup:

 

  • 5c - Low end
  • 5s - High end
  • 6c - Low end with a large screen
  • 6s - High end with a large screen

 

At that point, the 5 and 6 are irrelevant.

Rather, c is to Air as s is to Pro.

c : Air :: s : Pro

 

 There is a lot of talk about a large screen version(s). Maybe it would be best if  they move over to bi-annual new iPhone product launches, one for smaller screens in September  and six months later for larger screen versions.

 

That would help stop the slump in sales six months after the launch of the new iPhones in September. It would also not leave the field clear for Samseung and other competitors in around Spring . iI would give  the media a lot more to talk about Apple products instead of having to wait for yearly launches.

 

Incidentally, Samesung must be quaking at the nightmare spectre of Apple introducing large screen iPhones. Large screens seem to be the main attractive feature of Apple's competitors. The smaller screen iPhones already outsell by three to one  Samesung' top of range  Galaxies. A large screen iPhone will steal a lot more sales from Samesung.

 

Samesung have tried to promote their smaller screen Galaxies to compete with iPhones, but without success. 

post #52 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Foosaner View Post

First, I want to note that I enjoy Apple products and plan to purchase the 5s when it gets released.

That being said, why all of the Samsung bashing? A hands-on article like this on a pro-Apple website (nothing wrong with that) should focus exclusively on the phone itself. Instead, this "hands-on" article just seems to be trying to defend Apple's design choices against Samsung. Even the sub-header of the article states that, "Without any of Samsung's embarrassing show stereotypes and circus theatrics, Apple unveiled its "forward thinking" new iPhone 5s as not just "what's next," but "what should be next," advancing mobile devices into the 64-bit computing world for the first time". How does a header like that portray any sort of professionalism whatsoever? Few people would disagree that Samsung's Galaxy S4 unveiling was inappropriate, but how is that even remotely relevant to this article? Samsung shouldn't be mentioned at all on a pro-Apple website unless there is actual news about them that pertains to what is going on with Apple in some respect. There are ways to be in favor of one company or product without having to be against another. People who visit blogs like this have every right to their opinion, but they shouldn't be spoon-fed reasons not to like another company that makes millions of other people happy as well.

***Full disclosure*** - I used to own a Galaxy S4 and ended up not liking it. That is why I am switching to the iPhone 5s, since it is a product that works better for me. However, I can see why many other people enjoy the Galaxy series of phones so I do not hold hate for having diversity in the industry. 

Am I the only person who follows this site that believes that Apple Insider takes things too far sometimes with the bashing of other companies? Am I wrong to ask for a more professional style of writing?

You are right, of course...

But this is DED at his best behavior. There is relatively little "opinion/bashing" and he didn't dwell on it or go off into the woods..
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #53 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

"The days of "lol iPhone doesn't have X or Y feature" are over."

You're smoking crack if you don't think there's a huge unmet demand for larger screened iPhones.

They are losing their cachet big-time by having only one small form factor. Just because you and I don't need a bigger screen doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way. I meet people all the time who want a bigger screen so that they can see easier. Women, especially. They carry purses and handbags, and have plenty of room for a bigger phone.

They've gotten way too conservative. They need to aggressively address their weak spots, not simply declare that they're actually strengths.

I think this need can be better served with an iPad Mini that can make and receive phone calls. MHO.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #54 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Why not allow me to associate all my passwords to my fingerprint ... So that i can use it to enter password protected sits and etc.
that is where the real value would be for me.

 

That feature already exists. iCloud Keychain creates and stores all your passwords. When you unlock your phone, your passwords are unlocked. Done.

post #55 of 158
I just do not get the screen size issue.

I used a larger screen Android for 2,5 years before I switched to the iPhone 5.

You could not change the font sizes on the Android.

The IPhone 5 can be set for multiple font sizes up to 56 point. This covers your mail, messaging, calendar, and contacts.

Safari web pages can be read withe the Reader feature where again the fonts can be adjusted.

Bottom line the larger screen size does not have bigger viewing capabilities.

For video consumption I use an iPad.

When I show others how to reset the iPhone fonts they say thank me and are happy campers.
post #56 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post
 
Quote:
 As developers make the transition via Apple's Xcode support for 64-bit, App Store titles can be delivered in "fat binaries" with both sets of code, allowing users to run apps that automatically work correctly, depending on the hardware being used. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
 


So, we can be near certain that 32 bit only iOS devices will be the next support cutoff. Just like with OSX with a Snow Leopard like release that thins down the binaries. 64 bit doesn't help the 5S a whole lot today, but it will help it be supported longer when the iPad and everything else move to it. 

 

Apple have many years of experience transiting from 32 to 64 bit architecture. They have provided a set of tools to make it really easy and fast for developers to upgrade. Developers can then concentrate on taking advantage of the much higher processing and graphics speed and quality to enhance their Apps. We can expect a flood of fantastic new or enhanced iOS Apps, which will make iOS Apps even better than Android's, than they already are.

 

These enhancement will be especially noticable in games and the new iPad with the A7 porocessor will be the ultimate mobile games machine.  It will be a huge differentiator.

 

Samesung have already announced they are going to copy Apple and have their own 64 bit processor. The problem is that they do not have the Apple's hands on experience and expertise and Android OS is not tailored to 64 bit either. It may take Android and Samsung years to catch up - if they ever do. 

 

iPhone will never be the ultimate mobile games machine until it has a larger screen. Sorry.

post #57 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

"The days of "lol iPhone doesn't have X or Y feature" are over."

You're smoking crack if you don't think there's a huge unmet demand for larger screened iPhones.

They are losing their cachet big-time by having only one small form factor. Just because you and I don't need a bigger screen doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way. I meet people all the time who want a bigger screen so that they can see easier. Women, especially. They carry purses and handbags, and have plenty of room for a bigger phone.

They've gotten way too conservative. They need to aggressively address their weak spots, not simply declare that they're actually strengths.

 

Bigger screen so that they can see easier? Then lets bring back the BoomBox for those hard of hearing.

 

Women, especially?  What? How about man-purses for the other side.

 

Truthfully, I can see that there is a market for a larger iPhone. However, I can't imagine that it would be large enough to address the economies of scale that we benefit from a single form factor now, and, one that satisfies the majority. 

For those that think I am too selfish, well there are other suppliers that will satisfy size for quality and function.

And for those that big is better and before moving UP, take some carboard and cut out one piece, 136.6 x 69.8mm and another,123.8 x 58.6mm.* Place each one at a time up to your ear. I can't image my wife wanting the former, particularly even after she has questioned herself what she ever saw in me, and even with all the purses she owns.

 

* Add another 3-4 mm all around to compensate for the cover.

post #58 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

What i dont get is why limit the fingerprint sensor function just to unlock and itunes.
Why not allow me to associate all my passwords to my fingerprint ... So that i can use it to enter password protected sits and etc.
that is where the real value would be for me.

I think that will come as the concept proves itself. Right now Apple can create an audit trail with the iTunes Store, detect and correct any problems -- including covering any losses without getting sued.

I suspect Apple will provide a morph of the contacts app into a "passwords" app. Each site would have an entry containing the site name, URL, login data. etc. -- tap the entry and it takes you to the site's login page and fills in the information... Tap again, and you are logged in!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #59 of 158
Im most excited about the 64 bit processor! The media are mindless idiots wanting Apple to fail yet want to own an iphone. The fingerprint id is actually a game changer. Its not just for signing on. There are a lot of uses we havent even thought about. Lets say I want to verify during a text exchange you are who say you are....touch you id please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will look back in a year and not believe how we ever got along without the id touch.

Samsung will be releasing the samsuck touch soon along side the Samsuck Dyson vac.

Patents are worthless these days and Samsung know it...

lk
post #60 of 158
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

iPhone will never be the ultimate mobile games machine until it has a larger screen. Sorry.

 

Wrong, but whatever.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #61 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

"Of course Google Glass doesn't work if your eyes have been gouged out! How stupid can you get?"
"How dare Apple make their fingerprint sensor not work with burned fingers! Who do they think they are?"

 

I would think that a finger print, burned fingers or not is still a fingerprint. If not, one could still use their toes.

post #62 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakhamMD View Post
 

 

I would think that a finger print, burned fingers or not is still a fingerprint. If not, one could still use their toes.

Or, if the user is really just a mangled, burned, horrific mess, they could just elect not to use the Touch ID feature.

 

This seems to be a great feature for those able to use it. It's probably not yet perfect, but eminently usable and will likely get better over time (including APIs for 3rd parties to leverage eventually).

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #63 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Of course Google Glass doesn't work if your eyes have been gouged out! How stupid can you get?"

"How dare Apple make their fingerprint sensor not work with burned fingers! Who do they think they are?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakhamMD View Post

I would think that a finger print, burned fingers or not is still a fingerprint. If not, one could still use their toes.


Watch out- Samsung to partner with Google to unveil new Blade Runner retina sensor to enhance Droid.
Copy Apple AND Blade Runner simultaneously!
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #64 of 158
Yojimbo007: undoubtedly that will come. But right now Apple just wants to make sure everything WORKS, and iron out any kinks that might pop up BEFORE opening it up further.
post #65 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakhamMD View Post
 

 

I would think that a finger print, burned fingers or not is still a fingerprint. If not, one could still use their toes.

 

But you're forgetting about the huge market of people who have burnt fingers and are also double foot amputees.

 

Man, Apple has really dropped the ball on this iPhone 5s.

post #66 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

great info from DED.

clearly the 5s is the most techinically advanced portable computer in the world now, with several very important new/re-born technologies deployed in Apple's typcial "just works" understated style instead of in-your-face pointless gimmicks.

but you would never learn that from reading all the blatently stupid commentary on the web about the 5s the last two days. i dare say, we may have seen a new low in shallow thinking among the tech media. could it get any worse?

but watch out, they'll cut off your finger!

Mmm.... I wonder if it has to be a finger that you scan... Something about Apple's touch surface being able to detect 11 distinct touch points at the same time... Nah!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #67 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

What i dont get is why limit the fingerprint sensor function just to unlock and itunes.
Why not allow me to associate all my passwords to my fingerprint ... So that i can use it to enter password protected sits and etc.
that is where the real value would be for me.
Perhaps they want to show this works and want people to be comfortable with the technology before they expand it? My guess is over time we'll see it expanded to other things.

Yeah...

I wouldn't be too surprised if after they've proven it and refined for a year or two -- that they would license the technology to others (FRAND ?) for the good of the "industry and users"... much the way Daimler Benz shared their seatbelt tech.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #68 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakhamMD View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

"The days of "lol iPhone doesn't have X or Y feature" are over."

You're smoking crack if you don't think there's a huge unmet demand for larger screened iPhones.

They are losing their cachet big-time by having only one small form factor. Just because you and I don't need a bigger screen doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way. I meet people all the time who want a bigger screen so that they can see easier. Women, especially. They carry purses and handbags, and have plenty of room for a bigger phone.

They've gotten way too conservative. They need to aggressively address their weak spots, not simply declare that they're actually strengths.

 

Bigger screen so that they can see easier? Then lets bring back the BoomBox for those hard of hearing.

 

Women, especially?  What? How about man-purses for the other side.

 

Truthfully, I can see that there is a market for a larger iPhone. However, I can't imagine that it would be large enough to address the economies of scale that we benefit from a single form factor now, and, one that satisfies the majority. 

For those that think I am too selfish, well there are other suppliers that will satisfy size for quality and function.

And for those that big is better and before moving UP, take some carboard and cut out one piece, 136.6 x 69.8mm and another,123.8 x 58.6mm.* Place each one at a time up to your ear. I can't image my wife wanting the former, particularly even after she has questioned herself what she ever saw in me, and even with all the purses she owns.

 

* Add another 3-4 mm all around to compensate for the cover.

Bigger screen so that they can see easier? Exactly! It is also nice just to have a little more screen real estate to see things like spreadsheets or read web pages.  I already switched to a Lumia 920 last year and the size is not an issue. (I am not saying it is the perfect phone, but it does have some great features not found on Apples phones) Besides this most of the time I "talk" on the phone it is through bluetooth in the car, so the size doesn't matter at all.

 

In fact I use the phone as a portable computer much more than a phone. I hardly make any phone calls except when I really need to. Most messaging is texts for me.  However I still wish Apple would get it together and offer what a lot of people want.....a 4.8-5" iPhone. Not an iPhone 5c with a big screen, but the top tier iPhone with a larger screen.  They are making billions, why not make even more?

post #69 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

@gwmac:


Ha!

Some of the early fingerprint scanners (circa 1986) were set up so you had to stick your finger into a tube-like device for scanning... The wags of the day said that if the scan failed -- it kept your finger. 1biggrin.gif
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #70 of 158
The 64-bit support was a real surprise, I don't remember any of the rumour sites reporting on that. And it should make it closer to the OS X codebase which has been 64-bit only for a while now. And twice the number of registers: fantastic, that is what I think it really causing the speedup.

It's telling that the only 3rd party demo they had in the keynote was a game dev: that 2x graphics speedup really will change the gaming landscape on mobile.

Since the M7 can provide (it sounded like) statistical summaries of what happened in the last, say, half an hour, it really should be possible for an app to sleep for ages, and only get the occasional update, and not have missed anything (as long as it is not a real time updating app, like directions). This is similar to the way Time Machine works: it is able to tell what files have changed without running all the time, because the OS keeps a log for it.

Making iWork free seems risky to me: it was already topping the charts, so what do they have to gain? All they are doing is opening themselves up to antitrust charges, and recent experience has shown the govt will come after Apple giving a chance.

Overall I am very impressed with the iPhone 5S. It was Sept 12 last year that they introduced the iPhone 5, so have essentially doubled everything in one year is just amazing.
post #71 of 158
I'm impressed by Touch ID. Seems to work flawlessly.
post #72 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

No, that's not true.

 

Yeah, Apple should make worthless trash to fill every niche with trash instead of gold. That's better

 

If you're not going to substantiate anything that you write in response, why bother in the first place?

 

The fact that you deny that Apple is losing cachet reflects a profound willful ignorance on your part, because the evidence is everywhere, from here to China.  People used to expect Apple to lead the way, now they're expected to follow.  Whether or not this is true, that is the perception.  Perception is huge.  They need a big-screened phone for many reasons, not the least of which is keeping the brand from looking stagnant.  I like fingerprint security, it's a very nice feature, but it's not a game-changer.  People won't ignore major shortcomings simply because they can unlock their phone without typing a password.  Most folks will just skip the security altogether.

 

An iPhone with a larger screen and a larger battery isn't going downmarket, it's going upmarket.  And Apple didn't get where they are today by sticking with one product, they expanded their hits into diverse product lines.  The iPod Mini and Nano models sold more than the Classic by a long shot.  The reason the stock ever got to 700 in the first place was because of rampant anticipation of running away with the Chinese market.  Now it looks like Apple is losing their grip.

 

High margins are great when the demand is there.  I think they're getting greedy and pound foolish.

post #73 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakhamMD View Post
 

 

Bigger screen so that they can see easier? Then lets bring back the BoomBox for those hard of hearing.

 

Women, especially?  What? How about man-purses for the other side.

 

Truthfully, I can see that there is a market for a larger iPhone. However, I can't imagine that it would be large enough to address the economies of scale that we benefit from a single form factor now, and, one that satisfies the majority. 

For those that think I am too selfish, well there are other suppliers that will satisfy size for quality and function.

And for those that big is better and before moving UP, take some carboard and cut out one piece, 136.6 x 69.8mm and another,123.8 x 58.6mm.* Place each one at a time up to your ear. I can't image my wife wanting the former, particularly even after she has questioned herself what she ever saw in me, and even with all the purses she owns.

 

* Add another 3-4 mm all around to compensate for the cover.

 

Have you failed to notice how many people are rocking Galaxy phones these days?  They're everywhere.  If that's a niche market, I'll take it.

post #74 of 158
Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

If you're not going to substantiate anything that you write in response, why bother in the first place?

 

Ask the trolls. My substantiation is in all quarterly sales reports from all carriers and Apple.

 
The fact that you deny that Apple is losing cachet reflects a profound willful ignorance on your part, because the evidence is everywhere, from here to China.

 

Know that song, "I've been everywhere, man?" Doesn't sound like you've been anywhere.

 
People used to expect Apple to lead the way, now they're expected to follow.

 

And on what are you pretending this laughable nonsense is based?

 
Whether or not this is true, that is the perception.

 

[citation needed]

 
They need…

 

Nah.

 
People won't ignore major shortcomings

 

And what "major shortcomings" are these? Don't say screen.

 

An iPhone with a larger screen and a larger battery isn't going downmarket, it's going upmarket. 

 

Sounds more like paddling upstream.

 
And Apple didn't get where they are today by sticking with one product

 

Must be why they sell three iPhones, then.

 
The reason the stock ever got to 700 in the first place was because of rampant anticipation of running away with the Chinese market.

 

No. Okay, fine, source?

 
Now it looks like Apple is losing their grip.

 

Oh, there's grip being lost somewhere

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #75 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

"The days of "lol iPhone doesn't have X or Y feature" are over."

You're smoking crack if you don't think there's a huge unmet demand for larger screened iPhones.

They are losing their cachet big-time by having only one small form factor. Just because you and I don't need a bigger screen doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way. I meet people all the time who want a bigger screen so that they can see easier. Women, especially. They carry purses and handbags, and have plenty of room for a bigger phone.

They've gotten way too conservative. They need to aggressively address their weak spots, not simply declare that they're actually strengths.

Then why not just get an iPad mini with your iPhone. As i type this with my thumb with one hand on my iPhone.
post #76 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrogo View Post

The technical discussion of 64-bitness is really good, but I'm not sure you made a case for it vs. those claiming it's about the future. You made a case that it can be supported for computationally intensive cases, which is good when it does get supported. And there appear to be a few, limited internal uses for it in iOS itself. But multiple cores also would support some/all of things, albeit in different ways. And those are also a great (better?) way to manage low-power states -- although the M7 seems nice in that regard. But for a company that has long insisted specs don't matter, it's interesting they went for a computationally more complex chips that they don't seem to be claiming will improve battery life at all (in fact, it might be a bit worse, saved by the M7 and slightly larger battery) rather than a multi-core solution with power optimization. It really seems to be about the future, the iPad and perhaps the AppleTV. And it's being in the iPhone 5S to make it "flagship".

 

Well copycat Samesung has already announced that 64 bit is the future and will be in their next Galaxy, so they obviously realise that 64 bit really is the future, whatever their paid for bloggers and trolls might say....LOL

 

Despite the 5S's huge increase in speed,  the A7 gives the same battery performance as the much slower A6 and much longer battery life compared to the even slower 4S.  According to Apple's website they  give 25% more talk time than the 4S (10 hours on 3G compared to 8 Hours); 33% more in internet use time (8 hours compared to 6 hours); 10 hours on Wi-Fi compared to 9 hours; and standby time of 250 hours compared to 200 hours.

 

Personally I am more than happy with the battery life I get on my 5 and look forward to the far greater speed and performance of the 5S for the same battery time. One thing I really like about the 5 is the very fast speed of recharge and hopefully the 5S will be same.

post #77 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ask the trolls. My substantiation is in all quarterly sales reports from all carriers and Apple.

Know that song, "I've been everywhere, man?" Doesn't sound like you've been anywhere.

And on what are you pretending this laughable nonsense is based?

[citation needed]

Nah.

And what "major shortcomings" are these? Don't say screen.

Sounds more like paddling upstream.

Must be why they sell three iPhones, then.

No. Okay, fine, source?

Oh, there's grip being lost somewhere

Sometimes I admire your stamina with certain posters.
post #78 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post
 

 

If you're not going to substantiate anything that you write in response, why bother in the first place?

 

The fact that you deny that Apple is losing cachet reflects a profound willful ignorance on your part, because the evidence is everywhere, from here to China.  People used to expect Apple to lead the way, now they're expected to follow.  Whether or not this is true, that is the perception.  Perception is huge.  They need a big-screened phone for many reasons, not the least of which is keeping the brand from looking stagnant.  I like fingerprint security, it's a very nice feature, but it's not a game-changer.  People won't ignore major shortcomings simply because they can unlock their phone without typing a password.  Most folks will just skip the security altogether.

 

An iPhone with a larger screen and a larger battery isn't going downmarket, it's going upmarket.  And Apple didn't get where they are today by sticking with one product, they expanded their hits into diverse product lines.  The iPod Mini and Nano models sold more than the Classic by a long shot.  The reason the stock ever got to 700 in the first place was because of rampant anticipation of running away with the Chinese market.  Now it looks like Apple is losing their grip.

 

High margins are great when the demand is there.  I think they're getting greedy and pound foolish.

 

Your arguing with Tallest is futile at best. In his mind, YOU are the one with the problem and Apple makes absolutely perfect devices. He also thinks that if he doesn't experience an issue (like not enough battery life) then nobody should ever have an issue. He tries to be witty, cute and come across like he knows all but all he successfully does is enrage and enflame posters with his short, nasty answers that serve no constructive purpose to this forum. I'd put money on the fact that he pushes away good, prospective members with his constant BS. I thought about putting him on my ignore list but someone (like me and a few others here, also) need to talk new members off a ledge (keep them from leaving the same day they sign up) after Tallest has his way with them. He's a very angry, nasty person.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #79 of 158
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post
Sometimes I admire your stamina with certain posters.

 

I have difficultly "letting go". :lol: I tend to hope that even the worst trolls can be made to see just how stupid what they say is. I mean, we are all human, right? Supposed to be intelligent.

 

Trying to change that, hence the simple "shut up and go away" when someone posts something as stupid as "they didn't change anything" or "Apple needs a larger phone to keep the company from bankruptcy"… 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #80 of 158

People are foolish if they are arguing why Apple doesn't need larger screen phones. For me personally, I love the size of the iPhone 5 and if they created a larger phone, I would stick to the 4" inch screen if I had to guess. With that said, there is a huge demand for larger sized iPhones. I know some people who are practically giants and typing on the iPhone is next to impossible.

 

Just like Apple has an 11", 13", 15", previous 17" laptops and even 21.5" and 27" iMacs clearly show that their is a need for various sizes. I would expect these phones to come next year if I had to guess.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID