or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID

Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID - Page 3

post #81 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

I just do not get the screen size issue.

I used a larger screen Android for 2,5 years before I switched to the iPhone 5.

You could not change the font sizes on the Android.

Could perhaps is the operative word. On my nexus 4 I can change screen fonts from small/normal/large/huge

post #82 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

If you're not going to substantiate anything that you write in response, why bother in the first place?

The fact that you deny that Apple is losing cachet reflects a profound willful ignorance on your part, because the evidence is everywhere, from here to China.  People used to expect Apple to lead the way, now they're expected to follow.  Whether or not this is true, that is the perception.  Perception is huge.  They need a big-screened phone for many reasons, not the least of which is keeping the brand from looking stagnant.  I like fingerprint security, it's a very nice feature, but it's not a game-changer.  People won't ignore major shortcomings simply because they can unlock their phone without typing a password.  Most folks will just skip the security altogether.

An iPhone with a larger screen and a larger battery isn't going downmarket, it's going upmarket.  And Apple didn't get where they are today by sticking with one product, they expanded their hits into diverse product lines.  The iPod Mini and Nano models sold more than the Classic by a long shot.  The reason the stock ever got to 700 in the first place was because of rampant anticipation of running away with the Chinese market.  Now it looks like Apple is losing their grip.

High margins are great when the demand is there.  I think they're getting greedy and pound foolish.

"The fact that you deny that Apple is losing cachet reflects a profound willful ignorance on your part, because the evidence is everywhere, from here to China." Really? Why then according to Kantar's latest data is the iPhone GAINING market share in the US. UK, France Australia, Italy, Spain Mexico and the whole the EU5? And that was for the latest June quarter when Apple had the 9 month old iPhone competing with the latest Samsung Galaxies, latest HTCs , latest Motorolos and latest Nokias.You seem to be seriously misinformed  or  deluded. 

"People used to expect Apple to lead the way, now they're expected to follow.  Whether or not this is true, that is the perception.  Perception is huge."  Again you are totally deluded. Apple is still the innovation and technology leader and the competitors are again disrupted and struggling to catch up. The iPhone S5 is FIRST with 64 bit technology; FIRST with the separate M7 Chip; FIRST with the state of the art finger scanning security; and FIRST with 64 bit ready OS. Apple has left the competition trailing in the dust again trying to copy

The perception (if there really is such a perception) is FALSE and  achieved by the countless billions spent by Samsung, Google and other Apple competitors  in PR and marketing and bribing journalists and paid for bloggers in a desperate attempt to create the false perception.

Apple achieves the  highest margins because they produce the best and most desirable hardware, software and eco-system and because carriers know that iPhone customers are their most profitable, so they are willing to give the highest subsidies to the iPhone

post #83 of 158
They 'really' do not need to go bigger with the screen size. Anything bigger and it isn't a phone, so just buy an iPad mini instead if you just want a bigger screen, because you'd look stupid sticking it up to your face and using it as a phone. The current size is perfect.
MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
post #84 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVince View Post

They 'really' do not need to go bigger with the screen size. Anything bigger and it isn't a phone, so just buy an iPad mini instead if you just want a bigger screen, because you'd look stupid sticking it up to your face and using it as a phone. The current size is perfect.

iPhones are becoming much more "crossover" devices these days. My kids for example rarely if hardly ever make voice calls on their iPhones. 95% of their activities involve texting, messaging, games, watching you tube videos, interacting with various social media sites, googling, browsing, taking photos/videos and listening to music. A larger screen would not be a disadvantage. The only numbers they voice call are the technically challenged 'rents.

How it looks when stuck to their ear is not really a factor. They want cellular connectivity in a package that fits in their pocket, and can occasionally be used to make voice calls.

post #85 of 158
5S does not come with 128Gb storage option; nor does it come with WiFi standard 802.11ac. No IGZO screen either. Not sure what the RAM is on it either but I doubt it is 4GB or more. More like 2GB! You need that for operating it in 64 bit mode; but there are no 64 bit Apple iPhone apps either so that explains the lack of RAM %u2013 Checking on the price of RAM; going from 2 to 4GB cost around $30 -(retail)
post #86 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Foosaner View Post

First, I want to note that I enjoy Apple products and plan to purchase the 5s when it gets released.

That being said, why all of the Samsung bashing? A hands-on article like this on a pro-Apple website (nothing wrong with that) should focus exclusively on the phone itself. Instead, this "hands-on" article just seems to be trying to defend Apple's design choices against Samsung. Even the sub-header of the article states that, "Without any of Samsung's embarrassing show stereotypes and circus theatrics, Apple unveiled its "forward thinking" new iPhone 5s as not just "what's next," but "what should be next," advancing mobile devices into the 64-bit computing world for the first time". How does a header like that portray any sort of professionalism whatsoever? Few people would disagree that Samsung's Galaxy S4 unveiling was inappropriate, but how is that even remotely relevant to this article? Samsung shouldn't be mentioned at all on a pro-Apple website unless there is actual news about them that pertains to what is going on with Apple in some respect. There are ways to be in favor of one company or product without having to be against another. People who visit blogs like this have every right to their opinion, but they shouldn't be spoon-fed reasons not to like another company that makes millions of other people happy as well.

***Full disclosure*** - I used to own a Galaxy S4 and ended up not liking it. That is why I am switching to the iPhone 5s, since it is a product that works better for me. However, I can see why many other people enjoy the Galaxy series of phones so I do not hold hate for having diversity in the industry. 

Am I the only person who follows this site that believes that Apple Insider takes things too far sometimes with the bashing of other companies? Am I wrong to ask for a more professional style of writing?

Samsung products are touted all over the web as being more "innovative" while Apple is constantly portrayed as "having lost their edge" etc, etc.

Samsung has been caught out on multiple occasions paying bloggers to contribute negative comments about their competitors and reinforces the message via the use of more traditional advertising.

One only has to look at the impact on Apple's share price this constant negative narrative has, to understand why such comparisons are valid and need to be made.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #87 of 158
In what way is this a "hands on" article? It just repeats info from the keynote, with some background information.
post #88 of 158
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post
You need that for operating it in 64 bit mode

No…

…there are no 64 bit Apple iPhone apps…

Except it was explicitly stated they all are.

Checking on the price of RAM; going from 2 to 4GB cost around $30 -(retail)

How stupid do you think we are? Answer that question. I want to know what you think. How stupid do you think we are? Are you honestly trying to pass off COMPUTER RAM as a valid metric for the type of RAM that Apple uses in the iPhone?!

post #89 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

I just do not get the screen size issue.

I used a larger screen Android for 2,5 years before I switched to the iPhone 5.

You could not change the font sizes on the Android.

The IPhone 5 can be set for multiple font sizes up to 56 point. This covers your mail, messaging, calendar, and contacts.

Safari web pages can be read withe the Reader feature where again the fonts can be adjusted.

Bottom line the larger screen size does not have bigger viewing capabilities.

For video consumption I use an iPad.

When I show others how to reset the iPhone fonts they say thank me and are happy campers.

I get big screens. My wife and I would much prefer a larger screens. I do a lot of internet browsing.  She has weak eyesight.

I bought a Note to try. I really enjoyed the extra real estate. However, I found the OS awful, a steep learning curve compared intuitive easy to learn iOS and full of annoying glitches, sudden slowdowns, jerkiness and reboots etc. One problem was that whatever I did to fix it and reset it in settings, after a short time the screen would start dimming very quickly, presumably to save battery. 

Another problem was lack of privacy and security of Android. I find the way Big Brother Google snoops into everything on an Android really spooky. There was no way I could use the Note to store any private or confidential data, which meant I just used it for intenet browsing. No phone calls, no contacts, no emails, no SMS, no photos, just internet browsing. After about six months using it less and less it suddenly went dead. Later I found out about Samsung's sdden death problem which the meduia have never investigated - Samesung's PR slush fund goes along way...LOL I never bothered to try and get it fixed.

Kantar market research shows that around 30% of Europeans would prefer a large screen iPhone, and probably a higher percentage in Asia.

When Apple finally bring out a larger screen iPhone I shall be first in line.

post #90 of 158
Quote:

"The days of "lol iPhone doesn't have X or Y feature" are over."

You're smoking crack if you don't think there's a huge unmet demand for larger screened iPhones.

They are losing their cachet big-time by having only one small form factor. Just because you and I don't need a bigger screen doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way. I meet people all the time who want a bigger screen so that they can see easier. Women, especially. They carry purses and handbags, and have plenty of room for a bigger phone.

They've gotten way too conservative. They need to aggressively address their weak spots, not simply declare that they're actually strengths.

What small form factor?

A 2.8" Android phone is a "small form factor".

I'm getting sick of all this screen size is the holy grail bullshit.

post #91 of 158
Quote:

5S does not come with 128Gb storage option; nor does it come with WiFi standard 802.11ac. No IGZO screen either. Not sure what the RAM is on it either but I doubt it is 4GB or more. More like 2GB! You need that for operating it in 64 bit mode; but there are no 64 bit Apple iPhone apps either so that explains the lack of RAM %u2013 Checking on the price of RAM; going from 2 to 4GB cost around $30 -(retail)

"Not sure what the RAM is on it either but I doubt it is 4GB or more. More like 2GB! You need that for operating it in 64 bit mode;" NO YOU DON'T - READ THE ARTCLE.

You are right though. The S5 is missing lots of vital features. It has no tele-transporter, no patoto peeler, no Swiss Army Knife, no x-ray, nothing to inflate my tyres, no bottle opener, no water bottle, no shoe horn, no steam iron, not even a key to unlock my front door, or even a sponge to wipe your silly butt. ..... ZZZZZZZZ.

post #92 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

What i dont get is why limit the fingerprint sensor function just to unlock and itunes.
Why not allow me to associate all my passwords to my fingerprint ... So that i can use it to enter password protected sits and etc.
that is where the real value would be for me.

I'm guessing they want to test the use of the sensor by restricting it to functions they know are secure and they can control. Once iCloud Keychain is out and run through its paces, the sensor will be added to it allowing you to authorize use of your saved passwords as they're needed. Once it has gone full blown and all the kinks worked out, it'll made available to developers through iOS' Keychain service.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #93 of 158
Great article DED! still so glad to have you back in the saddle.
I'll be on the road to DC that Friday but hope to wrestle a 64gig gold 5s from AT&T even though I'm only one yr in. Last yr they let me pay off the $249 ETF by buying 10 of the 30 pin to lightning connectors. Wonder what it will be this year? We have 5 iPhones on the account. Maybe give up two of the original unlimited data phone plans for the family data plan they seem to push so much.
post #94 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iCloud Keychain (Safari) already allows for automatic password saving and login, so you don't need to worry about that.

Wasn't there an article yesterday that said the keychain feature was removed from the final iOS release?
post #95 of 158
Quote:

Have you failed to notice how many people are rocking Galaxy phones these days?  They're everywhere.  If that's a niche market, I'll take it.
Rocking? People still use that term?
post #96 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I'm quite excited about the 5s, but I believe the motox sets aside a couple of low power cores for sensor processing. I think it's still on the main die but Motorola have already implemented an M7 style of architecture. Perhaps not physically, but certainly in principle.

To some extent they are the same. Motorola's Moto X contains two additional DSP cores ... "Contextual Awareness Processor" and the "Natural Language Processor".

I can't find anything regarding whether the CAP just processes sensor data sent to it from the main CPU or if it actually monitors them as the M7 supposedly does? However, CAP seems to be used to translate motion into gestures and performs an action of some kind, currently limited to "gimmicky" activation functions; turn screen on, bring up camera app, etc., but the OS can of course be updated to perform other things.

The M7 basically monitors the motion sensors and continuously feeds that data back to CoreMotion which in turn offers up "optimizations based on contextual awareness." which I assume means types of movements (lifted, set down, tossed, dropped) and various states of movement (at rest, walking, running, free falling, driving)?

I wrote a brief response on another website earlier today about "Awareness" after factoring in all available data, not just motion, and where I think Apple is headed with it...

* Biosensors – the device knows who you are (and in the future, physical state)

* GPS – the device knows where you are.

* Mapping data, iBeacons – the device knows what’s around you

* Compass – the device knows where you’re headed

* Motion data – the device knows (can guess) what you’re doing

* iOS 7 – usage pattern recognition – the device knows what you do and when you do it. (App usage, calendar, reminders, alarms, etc.)

* Camera, ambient light sensor, microphone – the device can “sense” the environment; light, dark, loud, quiet, indoors, outdoors, etc.

Using all the above data, Siri can learn your habits and intelligently guess your intentions and can give you updates, information or directions automatically. When this can all come together we will have a true personal digital assistant that can actually assist and help when we need it.

Examples…

* Siri learns that you sometimes have a hard time getting up for work, causing you to be late, so it disables the snooze button and amplifies the alarm.

* You approach your car to head to work… Siri automatically brings up a screen to unlock your door, then connects “iOS in the Car”, displays traffic information, turns to your favorite radio station, etc.

* You’re walking to the bus stop and Siri notices that you aren’t walking fast enough and may miss the bus, so it alerts you to pick up the pace.

* Siri knows you’re in a strange town, and in a bar/club, knows you called a cab to get there, it’s closing time and automatically asks if you would like a cab to take you back to your hotel.

post #97 of 158
Originally Posted by Unbeliever2 View Post
Wasn't there an article yesterday that said the keychain feature was removed from the final iOS release?

It seems unclear. And if true, only for a few weeks until Mavericks is released. It's not 'removed' in that it's never being re-added.

post #98 of 158
Quote:

So no one has explained to you that different RAM costs different amounts of money? I really doubt that Apple could get 4 GB of RAM in the format they use in the iPhone for $30.

Furthermore, the extra RAM doesn't add enough value to justify the added battery drain, so why bother? Even with 1 GB, the iPhone 5 blew the doors off all those high-spec Android phones, so 2 GB would be even better.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #99 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

iPhone will never be the ultimate mobile games machine until it has a larger screen. Sorry.

iPhone will never be the ultimate mobile games machine until it is less portable and with a shorter battery life.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #100 of 158
Quote:

The fact that you deny that Apple is losing cachet reflects a profound willful ignorance on your part, because the evidence is everywhere, from here to China.  People used to expect Apple to lead the way, now they're expected to follow.  Whether or not this is true, that is the perception.  Perception is huge.  They need a big-screened phone for many reasons, not the least of which is keeping the brand from looking stagnant.  I like fingerprint security, it's a very nice feature, but it's not a game-changer.  People won't ignore major shortcomings simply because they can unlock their phone without typing a password.  Most folks will just skip the security altogether.

An iPhone with a larger screen and a larger battery isn't going downmarket, it's going upmarket.  And Apple didn't get where they are today by sticking with one product, they expanded their hits into diverse product lines.  The iPod Mini and Nano models sold more than the Classic by a long shot.  The reason the stock ever got to 700 in the first place was because of rampant anticipation of running away with the Chinese market.  Now it looks like Apple is losing their grip.

Why do you worry about Apple's perception problem? How is Apple's cachet an issue that matters to you?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #101 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

People are foolish if they are arguing why Apple doesn't need larger screen phones. For me personally, I love the size of the iPhone 5 and if they created a larger phone, I would stick to the 4" inch screen if I had to guess. With that said, there is a huge demand for larger sized iPhones. I know some people who are practically giants and typing on the iPhone is next to impossible.

Just like Apple has an 11", 13", 15", previous 17" laptops and even 21.5" and 27" iMacs clearly show that their is a need for various sizes. I would expect these phones to come next year if I had to guess.

Where does it end? 5-inches? 6-inches? 7-inches? 8-inches? 9-inches? 10-inches? 11-inches? 12-inches? 13-inches? 14-inches? 15-inches? 16-inches? 17-inches? 18-inches? 19-inches?? I guarantee that if Apple makes a 4.5" phone or a 5" phone, you'll be saying the same thing.

Here's what you don't understand:

Apple's view is: a well-designed portable device has an ideal size that hits all the right trade-off for most people. That might evolve over time with changes in technology, but it's not going to be a new screen size every frigging year.

Phablet fans never say, "X-inches is the right size." What they're saying is "Apple needs to compete in the screen size oneupmanship race. Apple is falling behind. Apple isn't leading." It's like, if you put 20-inch chrome dubs on your Chrysler 300, then I gots to put 22-inch chrome dubs on mine. Then you get 24-inchers and we begin the cycle again. Never mind that larger and heavier wheels actually slow your car and reduce its fuel efficiency. Tradeoffs don't matter in the game of oneupmanship. And that's just sad.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #102 of 158
Which version is for T-Mobile?
post #103 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Where does it end? 5-inches? 6-inches? 7-inches? 8-inches? 9-inches? 10-inches? 11-inches? 12-inches? 13-inches? 14-inches? 15-inches? 16-inches? 17-inches? 18-inches? 19-inches?? I guarantee that if Apple makes a 4.5" phone or a 5" phone, you'll be saying the same thing.

Here's what you don't understand:

Apple's view is: a well-designed portable device has an ideal size that hits all the right trade-off for most people. That might evolve over time with changes in technology, but it's not going to be a new screen size every frigging year.

Phablet fans never say, "X-inches is the right size." What they're saying is "Apple needs to compete in the screen size oneupmanship race. Apple is falling behind. Apple isn't leading." It's like, if you put 20-inch chrome dubs on your Chrysler 300, then I gots to put 22-inch chrome dubs on mine. Then you get 24-inchers and we begin the cycle again. Never mind that larger and heavier wheels actually slow your car and reduce its fuel efficiency. Tradeoffs don't matter in the game of oneupmanship. And that's just sad.

4.5 - 4.75 would bring me back into the fold. It's simply about button and text size, and web page readability. Please don't assume that all of us who want a bigger screen are unsophisticated losers who want to get into some kind of race every year. The sense of immediacy I feel (for a change in 2014) comes from my concern, as an Apple fan, that Apples's failure to act in this area is a costly, squandered opportunity, not to mention my own selfish desire to come back (have I mentioned in other posts yet that Android sucks?).

I have see this written here and repeated it myself already: How many who now think 4" is the perfect size used to think the same about 3.5"?

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #104 of 158
Quote:

First, I want to note that I enjoy Apple products and plan to purchase the 5s when it gets released.

That being said, why all of the Samsung bashing? A hands-on article like this on a pro-Apple website (nothing wrong with that) should focus exclusively on the phone itself. Instead, this "hands-on" article just seems to be trying to defend Apple's design choices against Samsung. Even the sub-header of the article states that, "Without any of Samsung's embarrassing show stereotypes and circus theatrics, Apple unveiled its "forward thinking" new iPhone 5s as not just "what's next," but "what should be next," advancing mobile devices into the 64-bit computing world for the first time". How does a header like that portray any sort of professionalism whatsoever? Few people would disagree that Samsung's Galaxy S4 unveiling was inappropriate, but how is that even remotely relevant to this article? Samsung shouldn't be mentioned at all on a pro-Apple website unless there is actual news about them that pertains to what is going on with Apple in some respect. There are ways to be in favor of one company or product without having to be against another. People who visit blogs like this have every right to their opinion, but they shouldn't be spoon-fed reasons not to like another company that makes millions of other people happy as well.

***Full disclosure*** - I used to own a Galaxy S4 and ended up not liking it. That is why I am switching to the iPhone 5s, since it is a product that works better for me. However, I can see why many other people enjoy the Galaxy series of phones so I do not hold hate for having diversity in the industry. 

Am I the only person who follows this site that believes that Apple Insider takes things too far sometimes with the bashing of other companies? Am I wrong to ask for a more professional style of writing?

Well, this IS an Apple site after all. Have you not seen all the Apple bashing by Fandroids on Engadget, and virtually every other forum? Frankly, its the Mac vs. PC debates all over again. Not a big deal, I pretty much ignore it any more. I have more important things to do, like work, family, and fishing. Don't really have the time to spend customizing my Android.  Re: Samsung, looks like it won't be too long till they abandon android anyway, with their own OS.

post #105 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

4.5 - 4.75 would bring me back into the fold. It's simply about button and text size, and web page readability. Please don't assume that all of us who want a bigger screen are unsophisticated losers who want to get into some kind of race every year. The sense of immediacy I feel (for a change in 2014) comes from my concern, as an Apple fan, that Apples's failure to act in this area is a costly, squandered opportunity, not to mention my own selfish desire to come back (have I mentioned in other posts yet that Android sucks?).

I have see this written here and repeated it myself already: How many who now think 4" is the perfect size used to think the same about 3.5"?

I still think 3.5 makes a better sized phone. 4" is better for video, but I would rather carry an iPod touch separately than have a 4" phone sticking out of my shirt pocket.

I just know these guys at Apple hate the idea of making a larger-screened phone. They are practical, sensible people, rational arts & crafts types, who harbor no nonsense notions of forcing a Galaxy-sized slab into their pants. They aren't going to enjoy tapering the edges like Samsung does to make it easier to shoehorn the slab into a pocket either. They are committed to square sides, bricks, to make picture taking more precise.

If Apple makes a larger-screened device it's going to have some better reason for existence than anything we've seen so far. For example, maybe pixel densities can be boosted to the point where autostereoscopic 3D can be used to treat dyslexia or something. But just following Samsung into this space would be prohibitively repugnant, and I agree. Big screens are the SUVs of portable electronics. I hate them just as much.
post #106 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Foosaner View Post
...why all of the Samsung bashing? A hands-on article like this on a pro-Apple website (nothing wrong with that) should focus exclusively on the phone itself. Instead, this "hands-on" article just seems to be trying to defend Apple's design choices against Samsung. Even the sub-header of the article states that, "Without any of Samsung's embarrassing show stereotypes and circus theatrics, Apple unveiled its "forward thinking" new iPhone 5s as not just "what's next," but "what should be next," advancing mobile devices into the 64-bit computing world for the first time". How does a header like that portray any sort of professionalism whatsoever?

If Samsung hadn't ripped off Apple's hardware designs in the past, you would be spot on.  And had Samsung not compounded their evils by also using an iOS knock-off (Android), you would again be correct.  But since Samsung did these things and remains unapologetic, such takes the professionalism and shine of your own words.  With literally everyone bashing Apple these days, it's refreshing to come to AppleInsider and see they are not playing that game at all.  They boldly take issue with anyone who has wronged Apple in the past, and rightly so.

AppleInsider, thank you for ignoring the silly comments that some people post in your forums!

Keep up the great work!

post #107 of 158
I find it much harder to see anything on a gigantic Galaxy phone than on the iPhones I have had. It is much easier to see, especially outdoors in high light conditions on the iPhone than the galaxy with a huge screen. That's just my opinion, but that's the way I see it. And the galaxy faded-looking screen just leaves me cold, especially since it deteriorates over time.
post #108 of 158
Just wonderful to see an article that explains the importance of sensible capabilities that are truly useful and not focused on all kinds of ridiculous gimmicks. As a household where the two of us have about 14 Apple devices with quite a large WIFI network, it all simply works.

Apple continues to build upon and evolve the ecosystem I continue to see natural increases in the value of our investment. I just joined iTunes Match as I noticed that it would soon provide no-commercial access to iRadio. That is an example of how an additional capability put it over the threshold for us. I must say, it's nice having the music everywhere.

Focusing on putting capabilities into each and every devices that actually multiplies the value of ecosystem capabilities including apps is why I don't question my Apple loyalty.

This article reminded me of why I stay so satisfied. Too bad many consumers don't focus on real value.
Edited by smaislin - 9/13/13 at 6:13am
post #109 of 158
Quote:

Apple Insider isnt the main problem.  Most of the authors do not do what you described above.  They are usually tactful.  That said, I have largely started to avoid articles written by Daniel Eran Dilger for various reasons, including the reason you have stated.  I love apple products and reading about them; I am not fond of android products, but there are occasionally neat uses for it, however I would never own an android phone, tablet, or set top box. I do not think it's is necessary for constant bashing I see in his articles, regardless if I agree with the position or not (I do agree that samsung and google have largely and blatantly copied apple's designs in many areas).

I can usually spot the articles he has written just by the title, but once in a while I get click baited or I'll see one that may be interesting, but I go into the article expecting to filter out some drivel.

Edited by ExceptionHandler - 9/13/13 at 7:03am

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

post #110 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Bigger screen so that they can see easier? Exactly! It is also nice just to have a little more screen real estate to see things like spreadsheets or read web pages.  I already switched to a Lumia 920 last year and the size is not an issue. (I am not saying it is the perfect phone, but it does have some great features not found on Apples phones) Besides this most of the time I "talk" on the phone it is through bluetooth in the car, so the size doesn't matter at all.

In fact I use the phone as a portable computer much more than a phone. I hardly make any phone calls except when I really need to. Most messaging is texts for me.  However I still wish Apple would get it together and offer what a lot of people want.....a 4.8-5" iPhone. Not an iPhone 5c with a big screen, but the top tier iPhone with a larger screen.  They are making billions, why not make even more?

I believe Apple has. Amazing that with the hundreds of millions of bigger Galaxies, Apple's iOS commands the internet mobile arena. Makes one wonder just what the are using their big phones for. 

Quote:

Have you failed to notice how many people are rocking Galaxy phones these days?  They're everywhere.  If that's a niche market, I'll take it.

No they are not. And I get around North America and China. A lot. Quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connector View Post

Then why not just get an iPad mini with your iPhone. As i type this with my thumb with one hand on my iPhone.

Agree. In fact, and unfortunately that's how my wife sees it.

So far, I have bought every iteration of the iPhone: upgrading and passing down to rest of the family. When I got the iPad mini for my wife, she handed back our dual owner iPad. When I am on my computer programming, I use the iPad/DisplayPad as a fourth screen particularly for making international calls via Skype.

Now, I would like to upgrade to the 5S, but the better half says she doesn't want or need my 5. We have a family plan and share data. Have yet to exceed the monthly allowance. So in effect, each of the older iPhones are 'free'. Can't argue with her (that would never be a winning strategy). She uses her iPhone seldomly. And her iPad all day and night. 

Her solution. Best you get another kid…along with your new wife.

Edited by OakhamMD - 9/13/13 at 8:14am
post #111 of 158
@ExceptionHandler And dishing out some well-deserved punches to Samsung are one of the reasons I enjoy DED's articles.

Maybe y'all missed the part of recent history where we see Samsung copying, denying copying, spreading lies about Apple products and their buyers, orchestrating evil anti-Apple PR campaigns, and contributing to the devaluation of Apple stock.

Most journalists have to ignore all this stuff out of their pretense of objectivity. Daniel is more in the tradition of the pugnacious muckrakers of the early 20th century. We need such people to correct injustice, which we are seeing plenty of these days coming from Samsung. It's a struggle for good to prevail in the world, and you guys, including Dick Applebaum, are getting all prissy about it.
post #112 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Could perhaps is the operative word. On my nexus 4 I can change screen fonts from small/normal/large/huge

I can do that on my S4, but guess what, half the digits on my clock widget disappear.

post #113 of 158
Quote:

...I doubt it is 4GB or more. More like 2GB! You need that for operating it in 64 bit mode...

Bullshit.

The AMD 64 bit Linux box I built in 2004 only had 1GB of RAM, which at that time was high end and quite expensive.

post #114 of 158

having a 64 bit chip does absolutely nothing, even with 2x size of registeres, because 64bit instructions are 2x size instructions, so they will fill up registers twice as fast as well, you'll get most of the time get no performance increase in All 32bit application, most 64bit applications.  The ONLY time you'll possibly get any performance advantage is when its a 64bit application that uses a certain 64bit instructions (RARE) , and even that is a guess.

Additionally, you WILL run out of memory as with only 1gb of it, which is really the bottleneck of the system.  

overall, you'l likely feel a performance decrease with most applications.  32bit application run slower due to conversion, 64bit application run slower due to insufficient memory.

post #115 of 158
Who dragged in all these 2-bit faceless stupid posters who don't have 1 bit of common sense?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #116 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearzJack View Post

having a 64 bit chip does absolutely nothing, even with 2x size of registeres, because 64bit instructions are 2x size instructions, so they will fill up registers twice as fast as well, you'll get most of the time get no performance increase in All 32bit application, most 64bit applications.  The ONLY time you'll possibly get any performance advantage is when its a 64bit application that uses a certain 64bit instructions (RARE) , and even that is a guess.

Additionally, you WILL run out of memory as with only 1gb of it, which is really the bottleneck of the system.  

overall, you'l likely feel a performance decrease with most applications.  32bit application run slower due to conversion, 64bit application run slower due to insufficient memory.

No, no and no. Having a 64 bit wide memory bus will significantly improve moving blocks of memory around. While this in itself is not a huge overall performance advantage (depending on how much memory block moving your app does) it does tend to increase performance on average about 6%.  All implementations of memmove() memcpy() etc are optimized to use the widest int size of the platform for exactly this reason. Everything from the cache width to the registers to bus size has doubled and this does definitely boost performance.

You will not run out of memory due to 64-bit architecture. Sure some of the apps will get marginally bigger and maybe consume a little more runtime memory but we're not talking double here, not even close.

post #117 of 158
Quote:

...unless you are using Apple's version of UNIX 64 bit.

post #118 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

No, no and no. Having a 64 bit wide memory bus will significantly improve moving blocks of memory around. While this in itself is not a huge overall performance advantage (depending on how much memory block moving your app does) it does tend to increase performance on average about 6%.  All implementations of memmove() memcpy() etc are optimized to use the widest int size of the platform for exactly this reason. Everything from the cache width to the registers to bus size has doubled and this does definitely boost performance.

You will not run out of memory due to 64-bit architecture. Sure some of the apps will get marginally bigger and maybe consume a little more runtime memory but we're not talking double here, not even close.

64bit wide memory bus, but remember all of your instructions are 64bit long as well, so you get no performance increase over 32bit bus with 32bit instructions (as you'll run same amount of instruction per clock).

In 32bit software, you get absolutely no performance increase as 32bit instruction are bloated into 64bit instruction to be ran on a 64bit processor, and you have to add overhead translating/bloating these instruction. 

in 64bit software, you will get benefit only on instructions that actually require/use 64bit length, which doesn't occur very often.  Also, 1gb of memory will bottleneck 64bit software most likely.

not double, but memory is still 1gb,  so you'll actually consume more memory while not receiving any benefit due to my prior statement.

post #119 of 158

Glad you know this, seeing as you've used the iPhone 5S already.

Oh, wait.

post #120 of 158
Quote:

64bit wide memory bus, but remember all of your instructions are 64bit long as well, so you get no performance increase over 32bit bus with 32bit instructions (as you'll run same amount of instruction per clock).

In 32bit software, you get absolutely no performance increase as 32bit instruction are bloated into 64bit instruction to be ran on a 64bit processor, and you have to add overhead translating/bloating these instruction. 

in 64bit software, you will get benefit only on instructions that actually require/use 64bit length, which doesn't occur very often.  Also, 1gb of memory will bottleneck 64bit software most likely.

not double, but memory is still 1gb,  so you'll actually consume more memory while not receiving any benefit due to my prior statement.

You get a performance boost on data accesses, for example transferring a 10k byte array on a 64-bit system in a 64-bit app will be about 2x the speed of a 32 bit system. Instructions are not a wash they are still 32 bits wide, so now you can load 2x the instructions per cycle into cache, however a fair amount of that may be unneeded instructions. However the 64-bit arm instruction set is a much optimized version compared to previous architectures.

Not every app does a lot or memory moving, hence the data width advantage only results in an overall approx 6% increase in performance.

Any application that is math or graphic intensive (which brings in games, video, audio, gps etc) likely use 64 bit math which will see a performance advantage.

Who says iPhone 5s only has 1GB memory?

Edited by patpatpat - 9/13/13 at 9:53am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hands-on with the new 64-bit A7-powered iPhone 5s with new M7, camera features & Touch ID