or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]

Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]

post #1 of 176
Microsoft continued its advertising offensive against Apple on Friday as a series of videos mocking the iPhone 5s and 5c appeared on the official Windows Phone YouTube channel.

Update: Microsoft has quickly pulled the questionable material from its YouTube channel.

The videos poke fun at Apple's design process for the iPhone 5s and 5c, showing satirical Apple product review meetings where two "employees" attempt to pitch various features of the new phones to actors intended to resemble Apple CEO Tim Cook and Senior Vice President of Design Jony Ive. The iPhone 5c's case colors and the iPhone 5s's 8-megapixel camera are among the items featured.

One of the videos, entitled "A fly on the wall in Cupertino - Polycarbonate," takes Apple to task for choosing a polycarbonate backing for the new iPhone 5c. This appears to be a bout of cognitive dissonance on Microsoft's part, as the flagship Windows Phone devices - Nokia's Lumia series - are similarly offered with colored polycarbonate shells.

There are seven videos in all, running from twenty-eight seconds in length to two minutes and twenty-eight seconds. Each video ends with a stark black screen and the hashtag "#timetoswitch."
post #2 of 176

Too bad they are unable to throw mud that high up.  It will all just drop back down in their face.

post #3 of 176

How disgusting and pathetic. This is China/South Korea-level tactics.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #4 of 176
Ouch. Now I just feel bad for MS. It's amazing how a once mighty company can fall so far.
post #5 of 176
Neither elegant nor witty, just very poor. This mud fight is starting to get on my nerves.
post #6 of 176
I honestly don't get their ad campaign attacking Apple. They are far more likely to get more people to switch from Android to Windows phones than from an iPhone. Also since Android has a larger user base that is a bigger group to target. It makes no sense. But then again this is Microsoft after all.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #7 of 176

These are the same morons who held a funeral for the iPhone many years ago.

How did that work out for them?

Meanwhile, nobody wants their horrible Surface tablets with the stupid kickstands, and MS has gotten so desperate now that they're offering to buy up used iPads.

What a joke. I do find it funny though that every desperate company in the world currently has Apple on their minds. The more threatened people feel, the more they will lash out. 

post #8 of 176
Zune Brown. Nuff said.
post #9 of 176
Looks like they are mocking Steve Jobs. That guy looks nothing like Tim. Poor taste.
post #10 of 176
MS has nothing to offer themselves, so they can't develop a commercial to tout their product. Just view these pieces as MS charity work. At least MS is giving their employees and contractors some work to do.
post #11 of 176

Wow that's tacky. Balmer would never have allowed this!

post #12 of 176

Someone at Microsoft marketing dept should realize making ads talking about your competition is more damaging.  Beside Microsoft should work harder on showing how their stuff works instead of show off gimmicky accessories.

post #13 of 176
Pathetic! And of course nowhere does the failed Microsoft name or logo appear on this ad.
post #14 of 176
Originally Posted by draugminaion View Post
Balmer would never have allowed this!

HA HA HA! What, does this begin the era of "Steve Ballmer would never…"? :lol:

post #15 of 176

I really don't get their thinking with these ads. They should be focusing their efforts on getting Android switchers. I hardly doubt anyone is going to switch from an iPhone to a Windows Phone. Its more likely they'll switch from an Android phone to a Windows phone, especially if they didn't like Android and wanted avoid using iOS. A person switching from iOS is more likely to switch to Android from what I've seen.

Microsoft is more of a little fish in a big pond now as far as the phone space goes and they're starting a fight they'll never win. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #16 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
... The more threatened people feel, the more they will lash out. 

That says it all.

post #17 of 176

Wow that was awful. Besides making no sense, the production was terrible.

Nokia must be really embarrassed. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #18 of 176

I got half way through and have to say I am dumber now than before I watched it.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #19 of 176

This makes Microsoft look desperate.

post #20 of 176

That is just terrible. The siri ones were dumb for the use cases being touted, but using Siri at least had some whit to it. No whit here... 

post #21 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HA HA HA! What, does this begin the era of "Steve Ballmer would never…"? :lol:

Actually, I stole that line. Check out today's http://daringfireball.net.

post #22 of 176
That was painful. I now feel more stupid having watched the video.
post #23 of 176
If this was an SNL skit it would fail. It's interesting how Microsoft's latest ads highlight Apple's products instead of focusing on their own.
post #24 of 176
Apple is at that point, again, where they're pitching color as one of the key elements of a product. They did it when they first introduced the iMac, then the iPod and now again with the iPhone. There's nothing wrong with it - and it's no different than any clothing company revising its color palette year to year, but for MS to poke fun at Apple for this just makes me, as a consumer, think about their "kick-stand" and clicking keyboard cover and dancing people not really using their tablets for anything other than as a dance and music prop.

Sure, there will be those people who say Apple used to make fun of MS in their Mac vs PC ads, but it was justifiable in that the vast majority of PC users dealt with the things the ads poked fun at on a regular basis. Apple was taking advantage of a negative issue with MS's operating system. MS, in spoofs like this, is trying to belittle Apple and ultimately make fun of those people who buy Apple products. That's a big no-no in my marketing books, but clearly MS either doesn't hire people who know anything about marketing or have nothing positive to say about their own products.
post #25 of 176

Wow, it took Microsoft "a month of work" to put that disjointed garbage together?

post #26 of 176
Poor Microsoft. Apple should release a "Crazy Balmer" ad, anonymously of course, that shows him slashing prices on Microsoft hardware because "their prices are insane!" Firesale!
post #27 of 176

Time for Apple to end that wide-ranging patent sharing arrangement with Microsoft. Now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 176
Oh my god, I couldn't finish this, it was so embarrassing to watch. Poorly done to boot.

Desperate. Sad.
post #29 of 176
What did I just watch? Seriously, I don't even get the message of the 'ad.'
post #30 of 176
The really sad part is that the profile looked more like Jobs than it did Cook. wtf?
post #31 of 176

"Tim" has been clearly made to look like Steve Jobs and not just regular Steve Jobs, but Jobs after severe weight loss. Classy.

post #32 of 176
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
What did I just watch? Seriously, I don't even get the message of the 'ad.'

"Cancer makes people stupid."

post #33 of 176
Whoahahaha, excellent! Great, greater, greatest.
These people are so intelligent, so nice, so humble.

Everybody will stop to buy an Apple product after this "ad".
So powerful, so fantastic ...

But ... wait!

This comes from a loser? Mircrosoft?
The company who bought the other rotten one with the colored phones that nobody wants?
The guys without ideas in mobile business?

Let's think about it ...
No. No-no, I think this spot had been created by frustrated teens
for frustrated people who wants to quit the race.

Hm, in this way, not so funny. That's really sad.
Very sad. Not for Apple, for the people who created this bullshit.
post #34 of 176

Two words: Surface...RT

(or is that one word?)

post #35 of 176

Wow, just wow... I'm speechless after watching this... If M$ ever wanted to make me dump every single one of their products in a New York Minute, they just did!

This was infuriatingly insulting, childish, ignorant, pompous, and demeaning... It also WREAKS of desperation!

Microsoft, oh how the mighty have fallen, good riddance...

post #36 of 176
Yawn!
post #37 of 176

Microsoft attained 'Level Pathetic'

bb
bb
post #38 of 176

It actually  explains a lot. This is how Microsoft thinks Apple products are designed. No wonder they have hard time trying to be like Apple.

post #39 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How disgusting and pathetic. This is China/South Korea-level tactics.

Is it though? Really? Because it seems in an apples to apples comparison, they're working with what they got and ignoring what they don't. If you spend the time to put a 41 megapixel, 9 element, motion stabilized, f2.2 camera into a phone, you probably want to tout that. If you made a "unibody" polycarbonate phone in dayglow colors 3 years before apple announced one, you probably want to call that out too. Seems legit to me. Some times you gotta call a spade a spade. Lets just acknowledge that color themed UI based on the color of the phone was NOT done by Apple first. 

Being an informed consumer means knowing what you're buying and why. For me, it's the software's ability to do icloud syncing for my address book with merging features for facebook, linked in, and gmail. It's the ability for me to send contact cards over text messages. The ability for me to reply to group messages and stay in a group message context. Having a stable UI that I dont have to worry about being attacked by malware (though my iphone 4 is not so stable anymore). Also, I like having a best of breed camera in my phone. For most of these things, microsoft meets, beats, or competes on Apple's level. It seems worthy of taking a few well aimed shots. Android and samsung, not so much. Those dudes are shamelessly copycatting Apple designs and features, but still miss every opportunity to fix the issues in android that cause it to be such a crappy platform. 

All I'm saying is, be realistic. Don't just be a band wagon fan. You make the rest of us sound like tools.

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
post #40 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflw View Post

You guys do realize that not so long ago Apple was the disgusting, pathetic, desperate, tacky, threatened company using China/South Korea tactics" with there I'm a Mac adds right? Samsung too, and it worked for both companies to move ahead of the race. Maybe its Microsoft's turn again. Apple won't be "top"forever.

Not true. Apple wasn't mocking the users, it was mocking Windows.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]