or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]

Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Why doesn't Microsoft go after Android users? There's more of them to convert and most of them are current WIndows users. What's their problem.

Ummm, because Google and Android are already their biggest target perhaps and the ones they worry about the most? Microsoft sending a little Apple's way is just a sideshow.
Edited by Gatorguy - 9/13/13 at 5:31pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #122 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avO5FXj7K-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did anyone download them? I hope someone downloaded them.

It turns out BusinessInsider did: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-video-making-fun-of-the-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-2013-9

You can check into the web, but you can't check out..... lol.gif
[/quote]

But where are the other 'ads'?
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Colours
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Polycarbonate
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Innovative materials
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: The phone for everyone
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Fingerprint reader
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: 8-megapixel camera
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #123 of 176

I saw one and pretty much had enough, over a minute long, felt like 10, a demonstration of what its like to have zero talent.

post #124 of 176

Ugh.  These ads are just pretty sad and pathetic, but it seems that's all MS campaigns have been lately....   Scroogled....  The gmail thing...  Googlighting.... and now this.

Blech.  It just makes them look pretty pathetic.

The sad part is I was looking at tablets for my sis and the Windows Pro surfaces with the big screens are actually pretty good (wouldn't touch the RT's) and run the applications she uses most for work.  I know its unpopular to say here- but they are actually quite good.

Microsofts products I don't have a problem with (I actually like Windows), but their  ads make me want to not touch their offerings with a stick.

post #125 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

You missed the point.

Except I didn't.

We all know the 1984 ad was aimed at IBM

Seems tribalogical didn't (which was my point). He wrote, "Most people used MS/Windows because "everyone else did" and it was "the standard".

post #126 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Negativity has never been a selling point, even when you point it out with your competitors. When was the last time a guy convinced a girl to go out with him by putting down ALL the other men.
Lead by example, not from behind.

The most frustrating part of all this is that you can clearly see that the high end game of marketing is truly run by a$$holes, at least when it comes to Microsoft and Samsung.

+1. Pathetic, slow and negative Ad from MS.

But I didn't even think the acclaimed I'm a Mac/PC ones were that worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, I loved them. they were brilliantly done, and had me in stitches. And they put some imortant info out. But at the same I wondered how effective it was stereotyping the people you hope to win to your product in a negative light. At least Justin Long avoided looking smug.

Maybe it's a cultural thing - i think advertising is far more aggressive in the USA than in England (partly by law). So I was happy that they weren't shown on uk tv.

Insulting people, even by association with the products they own, use and like (scratch the last for windows) alienates them. Samsung are easily the worst offenders - they ensured in one ad that they are the very last company I'd ever buy a smartphone from.
post #127 of 176
Did they possible not know, or had forgotten, that SJ is no longer with us? Because I can't believe someone would do that deliberately.
post #128 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did they possible not know, or had forgotten, that SJ is no longer with us? Because I can't believe someone would do that deliberately.

With all the flowers being put there by saddened people at their Stores during that week I cannot think this is actually a possibility. On the other hand, MS keeps on surprising me, time and again.
post #129 of 176

A whole new level of desperation -- it's called, MSperation

post #130 of 176
Hey Microsoft marketing. You mention Apple, you lose.
When are you ever going to learn?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #131 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avO5FXj7K-c

Thanks. And it was as unfunny and lame as it gets. #timetofail

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #132 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

He's not- they even address him as Tim.
It's all in your mind.

To be fair, it doesn't look like Tim. From any angle.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #133 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Show me a video of someone lauding a competitor's product? It rarely happens if it all.

Are you the only poster in this thread defending this video with "but but but lemmings!" And, "but but but all competitors attack each other!" arguments?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #134 of 176
u mad bro?
post #135 of 176
I read the comments here first. I thought there was no way anything ever made could be as bad as you made this sound. I watched it...

I want to know why you didn't warn me that it was far worse than you described it as. I think these are bad enough as to be actionable on the grounds that my life is actually worse now. I feel like the scene in princess bride when when the prince says he just took a year of your life away. WTF is going on at MS that it is even possible to make something that bad?
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #136 of 176
Not a great ad. Got nothing against them calling out the flaws with the iphone, it worked really well for Samsung but these ads were just rushed out.

Also AI I know you love Apple, this is an Apple site after all, but mentioning the fact Nokia have plastic phones to as if there equivalent phones to Apples plastic phone is just misleading your readers. The top plastic phone they make is the 820 which last time I saw it was on sale for about £200, the plastic iPhone is £460 both off contract prices.
post #137 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

With all the flowers being put there by saddened people at their Stores during that week I cannot think this is actually a possibility. On the other hand, MS keeps on surprising me, time and again.

I was thinking maybe they were advertising guys, not really in touch with the tech world (except as necessary to do what their clients ask).

post #138 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayder View Post

But but, didn't Microsoft already "bury the competition" way back with Windows Phone 7. The iPhone has been "dead" for years....

Stay Classy M$

I wonder if Microsoft will have a burial ceremony for Ballmer.

It's the least they can do for the guy.

post #139 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Would this face okay that ad....?

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #140 of 176
I believe these commercials add nothing to Microsoft. They tell nothing about their products or services(as the Mac vs PC did). It might actually help Apple since Microsoft is not offering no real advantage over the iPhone-Mac-iCloud ecosystem and they might end up ridiculing themselves in the process.
post #141 of 176
And Apple adopted Bing in iOS 7. Talk about bite the hand that feeds you. Sad, amateurish, desperate and disrespectful.
post #142 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeFowler View Post

And Apple adopted Bing in iOS 7. Talk about bite the hand that feeds you. Sad, amateurish, desperate and disrespectful.

Yep!

I currently use Bing as my default Search Engine - much nicer than Google...

post #143 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Are you the only poster in this thread defending this video with "but but but lemmings!" And, "but but but all competitors attack each other!" arguments?

If you read my other posts you'd see that I find this video despicable.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #144 of 176
When your competitor makes the conversation about you, they've already conceded defeat.
post #145 of 176

I think the only problem here is that it's just not funny.

I enjoyed the Samsung ad with Galaxy owners showing the iPhone 5 queue the features they already had and I enjoyed "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" series. The principle is fine and we Apple lovers need to be able to laugh at ourselves...but the competition's ads do need to funny or it leaves them looking desperate.

OS X and iOS user

OS X and iOS user

post #146 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

As a general rule, Ash, depicting dead people in an attempt to sell phones makes you look like a disgusting human being.

And the fact that you don't recognise that says a lot about you.

What? Society depicts dead people all the time, especially leaders in society.  Most money in the world has dead people printed on it.  I'm sure we could find almost all the well-known presidents of the US in some cartoon from the last couple decades.  

The video doesn't make fun of or disparage his death or his cancer.  It uses him in the role that he played....the CEO of Apple.  

You are also wrong about the video being used to sell phones.  As many people have pointed out, Microsoft didn't say anything about their phones, they only disparaged Apple.  Therefore, your comment about "depicting dead people in an attempt to sell phones" is completely irrelevant. 

Also, the word is "recognize," not "recognise." 

post #147 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Command_F View Post

I think the only problem here is that it's just not funny.

I enjoyed the Samsung ad with Galaxy owners showing the iPhone 5 queue the features they already had and I enjoyed "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" series. The principle is fine and we Apple lovers need to be able to laugh at ourselves...but the competition's ads do need to funny or it leaves them looking desperate.

Exactly, the video is not funny, is poorly done, amateurish, and just plain stupid.  I don't see why everyone has to bring in a discussion about the likeness of Steve Jobs.  That's a stupid argument and it distracts from the real problem, which is that the videos are just shitty.

post #148 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Yep!

I try Bing about once a year using a side-by-side comparison of search results.  Bing has yet to give me the result I want, whereas Google does every time.  I suppose Google may have an advantage from tracking me for a decade.  Regardless of the reason, I go with the better result.  For full disclosure, I dislike Google and Microsoft equally. (for unrelated reasons, I despise Facebook an order of magnitude more than both Google and MS combined).

post #149 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Is it though? Really? Because it seems in an apples to apples comparison, they're working with what they got and ignoring what they don't. If you spend the time to put a 41 megapixel, 9 element, motion stabilized, f2.2 camera into a phone, you probably want to tout that. If you made a "unibody" polycarbonate phone in dayglow colors 3 years before apple announced one, you probably want to call that out too. Seems legit to me. Some times you gotta call a spade a spade. Lets just acknowledge that color themed UI based on the color of the phone was NOT done by Apple first. 

I am sorry maybe I didn't watch the entire presentation. But where exactly did anyone at Apple tout colored options as being a first on mobile phones? Or for that matter that a 41 MP camera is something of an overkill on a cell phone considering the piddly size of that sensor? A lot of people tend to forget that those of us who have been only using iPhones are getting many of these 'improvements' for the first time. That I'd much rather have a bigger sensor ANY day over more megapixels, that a dedicated motion censor is something that actually makes sense to me as the main processor doesn't need to wake up that often, that even if the body of the 5c is made of plastic, a lot of thought has gone into it to make it NOT feel cheap at the same time. Yes, maybe the 5c isn't the most advanced phone on earth, but the 5s definitely improves on the 5 in many significant ways, some of which are definitely a first on mobile phones (64bit, dynamic font technology, iBeacons, motion effects built right into the OS, UI dynamics as part of the entire UI stack and available to 3rd party app developers).

Why is it that every announcement Apple makes is perceived as being a claim on its part of 'done by Apple first'? I think they make it very clear when something is an 'Apple first' (like colored options for iPhone 5c) or 'done by Apple first' (as in 64bit in mobile)...

post #150 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Is it though? Really? Because it seems in an apples to apples comparison, they're working with what they got and ignoring what they don't. If you spend the time to put a 41 megapixel, 9 element, motion stabilized, f2.2 camera into a phone, you probably want to tout that. If you made a "unibody" polycarbonate phone in dayglow colors 3 years before apple announced one, you probably want to call that out too. Seems legit to me. Some times you gotta call a spade a spade. Lets just acknowledge that color themed UI based on the color of the phone was NOT done by Apple first. 

Being an informed consumer means knowing what you're buying and why. For me, it's the software's ability to do icloud syncing for my address book with merging features for facebook, linked in, and gmail. It's the ability for me to send contact cards over text messages. The ability for me to reply to group messages and stay in a group message context. Having a stable UI that I dont have to worry about being attacked by malware (though my iphone 4 is not so stable anymore). Also, I like having a best of breed camera in my phone. For most of these things, microsoft meets, beats, or competes on Apple's level. It seems worthy of taking a few well aimed shots. Android and samsung, not so much. Those dudes are shamelessly copycatting Apple designs and features, but still miss every opportunity to fix the issues in android that cause it to be such a crappy platform. 

All I'm saying is, be realistic. Don't just be a band wagon fan. You make the rest of us sound like tools.

With all you said, If Microsoft was so confident into their own product they should made ads about it instead of making ads about competition product.

Beside right now WP8 doesn't meet of beat anything.

WP8 is just the start of a snowball. It may grow bigger and faster as it goes. Apple is dominant now but what about in 10 years? Who knows.

post #151 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If you read my other posts you'd see that I find this video despicable.

Fair enough!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #152 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

It's called a "retirement." Ballmer gets to save face as he's shown the door.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #153 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Stop doing that Ballmer or you'll go bald. -er.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #154 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That guy has a striking resemblance to Steve Jobs- much more than Tim. Pretty despicable ads. Microsoft always tends to somehow set the bar even lower.

Just confirms what Jobs said about Microsoft years ago: they have no taste.
post #155 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Negativity has never been a selling point, even when you point it out with your competitors. When was the last time a guy convinced a girl to go out with him by putting down ALL the other men.
Lead by example, not from behind.

The most frustrating part of all this is that you can clearly see that the high end game of marketing is truly run by a$$holes, at least when it comes to Microsoft and Samsung.

Samsung: u wait in line for iPhone? You are stupid! Buy my phone instead, make up for small penis with big screen that no fit in pocket!

Microsoft: "Look how stupid Apple, who is mopping the floor with us in this industry, is! I guess that makes us retarded."

Microsoft just went full retard. You never go full retard.
post #156 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Yep!

The number one reason why I use Bing...

...it's not Google.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #157 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I try Bing about once a year using a side-by-side comparison of search results.  Bing has yet to give me the result I want, whereas Google does every time.  I suppose Google may have an advantage from tracking me for a decade.  Regardless of the reason, I go with the better result.  For full disclosure, I dislike Google and Microsoft equally. (for unrelated reasons, I despise Facebook an order of magnitude more than both Google and MS combined).

Couldn't care less...

...Bing is NOT Google.

Number 1 reason I use it and will persist, there IS NO side by side in my situation.

post #158 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's called a "retirement." Ballmer gets to save face as he's shown the door.

Poor guy, having to work out what to do with himself and several billion dollars.

post #159 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Just confirms what Jobs said about Microsoft years ago: they have no taste.

Or like Saturday, no class lol.gif
post #160 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

WP8 is just the start of a snowball. It may grow bigger and faster as it goes. Apple is dominant now but what about in 10 years? Who knows.

Or it'll just melt away and be long forgotten.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]