or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]

Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflw View Post

You guys do realize that not so long ago Apple was the disgusting, pathetic, desperate, tacky, threatened company using China/South Korea tactics" with there I'm a Mac adds right? Samsung too, and it worked for both companies to move ahead of the race. Maybe its Microsoft's turn again. Apple won't be "top"forever.

No comparison. Really.  I don't mind MS 'getting back' at Apple, but this? Just love how the woman is relegated to the non-speaking, nodding, servile imbecile role, whilst the idiot guy gets all the 'glory'. So MS.

post #42 of 176
Wow! If I was an investor I'd call for the firing of all top management at MS, ASAP. I'd go on CNBC and raise hell like Hades!
What a fu****** disgusting, tacky, useless POS ad.
OMFG!
post #43 of 176
Imagine that: a humorous "switch" ad campaign. Wonder where they got that idea from.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 176
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post
Is it though? Really? Because it seems in an apples to apples comparison, they're working with what they got and ignoring what they don't.

Sounds like they're ignoring what they "got" (their phones) and working with what they don't (Apple's phones). Or maybe you can explain what business Microsoft has talking about the iPhone.

If you spend the time to put a 41 megapixel, 9 element, motion stabilized, f2.2 camera into a phone, you probably want to tout that.

That explains why absolutely none of those features were talked about in these ads, nor that a phone with them is mentioned at all.

Megapixels are meaningless.

If you made a "unibody" polycarbonate phone in dayglow colors 3 years before apple announced one, you probably want to call that out too. Seems legit to me. Some times you gotta call a spade a spade. 

Sometimes I want to hit people on the head with the sharp end of a spade. I should hope you're joking.

Nokia stole their design from the iPod.

Lets just acknowledge that color themed UI based on the color of the phone was NOT done by Apple first.

Thanks; that wasn't even being talked about. Although all their advertising artwork of the colored iPods in the past proves you wrong.

Being an informed consumer means knowing what you're buying and why.

Having what to do with this advertisement?

All I'm saying is, be realistic. Don't just be a band wagon fan. You make the rest of us sound like tools. 

Stop lying; maybe you won't sound like a tool, then. What was that about spades earlier? :lol:

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #45 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Is it though? Really? Because it seems in an apples to apples comparison, they're working with what they got and ignoring what they don't. If you spend the time to put a 41 megapixel, 9 element, motion stabilized, f2.2 camera into a phone, you probably want to tout that. If you made a "unibody" polycarbonate phone in dayglow colors 3 years before apple announced one, you probably want to call that out too. Seems legit to me. Some times you gotta call a spade a spade. Lets just acknowledge that color themed UI based on the color of the phone was NOT done by Apple first. 

Being an informed consumer means knowing what you're buying and why. For me, it's the software's ability to do icloud syncing for my address book with merging features for facebook, linked in, and gmail. It's the ability for me to send contact cards over text messages. The ability for me to reply to group messages and stay in a group message context. Having a stable UI that I dont have to worry about being attacked by malware (though my iphone 4 is not so stable anymore). Also, I like having a best of breed camera in my phone. For most of these things, microsoft meets, beats, or competes on Apple's level. It seems worthy of taking a few well aimed shots. Android and samsung, not so much. Those dudes are shamelessly copycatting Apple designs and features, but still miss every opportunity to fix the issues in android that cause it to be such a crappy platform. 

All I'm saying is, be realistic. Don't just be a band wagon fan. You make the rest of us sound like tools.

With all you said, If Microsoft was so confident into their own product they should made ads about it instead of making ads about competition product.

Beside right now WP8 doesn't meet of beat anything.

post #46 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoryeb View Post

Two words: Surface...RT
(or is that one word?)

They dropping the RT from the next version. To add to the confusion.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 176

You know how we made it so light?....
Mega pixels... we got 'em down to 8

Hahaha, I like it! Clever. Come on, give credit where it's due.

In itself it is a great parody, I reckon. However, as the article suggests at the end, given that Microsoft's OWN Nokia phones are available in colours, in that context it is an own-goal. Now THAT is funny!  :lol:

post #48 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Looks like they are mocking Steve Jobs. That guy looks nothing like Tim. Poor taste.

Yep, my first thought too. Very poor taste.

post #49 of 176
WOW! That was cringe-worthy!! o_O

Was it just my imagination or was the skinny guy with his back to us meant to be Steve Jobs and the other guy Jonathan Ive? If you so then not only was it tacky but also disrespectful...
post #50 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Apple is at that point, again, where they're pitching color as one of the key elements of a product. They did it when they first introduced the iMac, then the iPod and now again with the iPhone. There's nothing wrong with it - and it's no different than any clothing company revising its color palette year to year, but for MS to poke fun at Apple for this just makes me, as a consumer, think about their "kick-stand" and clicking keyboard cover and dancing people not really using their tablets for anything other than as a dance and music prop.

Sure, there will be those people who say Apple used to make fun of MS in their Mac vs PC ads, but it was justifiable in that the vast majority of PC users dealt with the things the ads poked fun at on a regular basis. Apple was taking advantage of a negative issue with MS's operating system. MS, in spoofs like this, is trying to belittle Apple and ultimately make fun of those people who buy Apple products. That's a big no-no in my marketing books, but clearly MS either doesn't hire people who know anything about marketing or have nothing positive to say about their own products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflw View Post

You guys do realize that not so long ago Apple was the disgusting, pathetic, desperate, tacky, threatened company using China/South Korea tactics" with there I'm a Mac adds right? Samsung too, and it worked for both companies to move ahead of the race. Maybe its Microsoft's turn again. Apple won't be "top"forever.

jefflw, note the comment above by jmgregory1 and the intelligent flow of their post.  Yours does not resemble that in the least.  Amazing how they were writing about you before you even posted.

Edited by icoco3 - 9/13/13 at 12:39pm
post #51 of 176

Little boys trying to play with the men. Pathetic

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #52 of 176

Next commercial will be Ballmer jumping up and down on Steve's grave chiding him about colours. I mean seriously, how degenerate can MS be? Putting a Steve Jobs lookalike in the commercial was really REALLY disgusting.

post #53 of 176
What a pathetic CEO! If I were Ballmer, I would create a focus team and use my budget wisely to develop a device that can compete with my competitor rather than wasting all the money putting out expensive advertising to attack the competitor. This will not lead your company to any success!! Wake up, Ballmer! You had created a USD900,000,000 (HKD7,002,000,000) write-off, how much more do you want to add to Mircosoft's shoulder?
post #54 of 176

When I commented before, I hadn't seen the commercial, but I just did, and holy cow!!!!!

That is a sick Steve Jobs (with cancer) sitting there and also Jony Ives.

This is truly one disgusting commercial! And mocking the dead? 

Microsoft truly has no shame, what a crap company. 

post #55 of 176

Aside from everything else, I think that the obvious ink lines on the printed iPhone picture are tasteful. They really illustrate the subtle nuances of the under–THIS COMMERCIAL WAS MADE IN LESS THAN TEN MINUTES AND TOOK LESS THAN A DAY'S WORK TO COMPLETE WITHOUT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CONSIDERATION FOR THE QUALITY OF THE MATERIALS USED THEREIN.

post #56 of 176

Looks to me as if MS's strategy is to try to shepherd the "anti-Apple" enthusiasts back to their pastures (because they are all wandering in Android land right now). So they want to out-champion Samsung at being the flag-bearers of the anti-Apple devotees...

post #57 of 176
It's a bit sad when the best you can do is try to send up the opposition. All it will do is get the backs up of iPhone users and wont get them to switch. I wish these other companies would spend their efforts in coming up with their own original ideas that would really give people choices of different things rather than just versions of what Apple do.
post #58 of 176
OK I rarely ever comment on this site but I feel that I had to comment on this one ASAP. How in the hell can Microsoft make fun of anyone's phone when they can't even sell their own???? And of all phones they decide to target the phone that reshaped the mobile industry?!?!?!? OK, this officially confirms that Ballmer was forced to retire. Microsoft was once a good company "even though I preferred Apple" but I now have no respect for Microsoft at all!
post #59 of 176

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Someone just got fired. Hopefully an entire team.

Did anyone download them? I hope someone downloaded them.

post #60 of 176
What?...No...That's not real is it? Is this a wind up?

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

post #61 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HA HA HA! What, does this begin the era of "Steve Ballmer would never…"? lol.gif

Gruber already started the era of "Never would have happened if Steve Ballmer were still alive."
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #62 of 176
This video is marked "private". Way to go, AppleInsider.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 176
Microsoft has sucked for so long they might as well try anything.
post #64 of 176

So sad.  Not even funny and makes no sense at all.  Really quite *below* the level of "College Humour" or cracked.com

I'm all for sending up Apple and I don't think it's a bad tactic from an advertising point of view, but this is just a poor effort all round.  

Can't we get more interesting articles here?  Like what about talking about whether the iPad mini will get the A7?  Or whether it will come in gold?  

post #65 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This video is marked "private". Way to go, AppleInsider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avO5FXj7K-c

post #66 of 176
Unbelievable. I'm glad I got to see it all before it went down.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #67 of 176

Somebody at MS screwed up bigtime.

Before they pulled the video or made it private, it had way more dislikes than likes.

Come on, putting a Steve Jobs cancer era look alike in your video? How low can you go?

post #68 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not true. Apple wasn't mocking the users, it was mocking Windows.

Did you forget this?
post #69 of 176

This from the company who gave us a brown Zune?

post #70 of 176
That guy has a striking resemblance to Steve Jobs- much more than Tim. Pretty despicable ads. Microsoft always tends to somehow set the bar even lower.
post #71 of 176
Can we really call that an ad? Nah.
post #72 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Before they pulled the video or made it private, it had way more dislikes than likes.

Come on, putting a Steve Jobs cancer era look alike in your video? How low can you go?

I don't recall seeing the face. You read too much into it. 

post #73 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That guy has a striking resemblance to Steve Jobs- much more than Tim. Pretty despicable ads. Microsoft always tends to somehow set the bar even lower.

What? The back of his head? Come on!

post #74 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I don't recall seeing the face. You read too much into it. 

I don't think so.

It was clearly Steve Jobs and Jony Ives sitting in that chair, and that was their intention also.

post #75 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you forget this?

No. Nor '1984' before it. But that wasn't the ad campaign he was talking about. You know it.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #76 of 176
Quote:

Whoever gave the green light to this needs to be fired, and so does the ad agency.
post #77 of 176

Trying to think of something positive to say...

They were pretty quick in responding, I guess?

Wow, beyond terrible.

censored

censored

post #78 of 176
Quote:

I don't think so.

It was clearly Steve Jobs and Jony Ives sitting in that chair, and that was their intention also.

Too resurrect the dead?  What did STeve Jobs have to do with a gold 5s? You're pushing it. 

If anything it was Tim- showing a naked man to him. Now that was offensive.

post #79 of 176

all the foaming at the mouth we are seeing this week across the web about the new iPhones are last gasp desperation FUD rants covering up the sheer panic spreading through the rest of the industry and their fan people.

they know in their gut the new iPhone 5s is by far the most advanced portable computer ever made - one-two years ahead of them - combined with a very enjoyable refreshed iOS and many very convenient easy to use features that people actually want (not gimmicks).

they know they are about to be blown away.

post #80 of 176
Quote:

MS has gotten so desperate now that they're offering to buy up used iPads.

Yes, but only "gently used" ones they can resell for a profit. Yep. That's pretty desperate alright.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]