or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]

Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u] - Page 3

post #81 of 176

But but, didn't Microsoft already "bury the competition" way back with Windows Phone 7. The iPhone has been "dead" for years....

Stay Classy M$

post #82 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Too resurrect the dead?  What did STeve Jobs have to do with a gold 5s? You're pushing it. 

If anything it was Tim- showing a naked man to him. Now that was offensive.

I'm pushing it?

I'm not the one who made a video with a dead Steve Jobs in it. As for what Steve Jobs has to do with Apple in 2013 and why he's in an MS video, you'll have to ask the crappy ad agency or whoever made that video as to why they did what they did.

post #83 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by draugminaion View Post

Wow that's tacky. Balmer would never have allowed this!

That's right! He would have ordered a mock funeral "for the colorful" instead, and a rock concert starring himself as "the-guy-formerly-known-as-CEO"...

post #84 of 176
What are the sales figures on the Surface? And how are all those Windows phones doing?

I guess the market has spoken. Attack ads against the industry leader, in any field, is usually an act of desperation, and typically precedes the death of the challenger (MS) by a brief period. How much longer before the Surface takes its place next to the Edsel on the dumbass business ideas list? Surface = Edsel. Windows Phone = New Coke.
post #85 of 176
'Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I got half way through and have to say I am dumber now than before I watched it.

I get that same feeling every time I'm forced to watch a Fox "news" segment...

post #86 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Someone just got fired. Hopefully an entire team.

Did anyone download them? I hope someone downloaded them.

It turns out BusinessInsider did: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-video-making-fun-of-the-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-2013-9

You can check into the web, but you can't check out..... :lol:

post #87 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm pushing it?

I'm not the one who made a video with a dead Steve Jobs in it. As for what Steve Jobs has to do with Apple in 2013 and why he's in an MS video, you'll have to ask the crappy ad agency or whoever made that video as to why they did what they did.

He's not- they even address him as Tim.
It's all in your mind.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #88 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by photodenk View Post

If this was an SNL skit it would fail. It's interesting how Microsoft's latest ads highlight Apple's products instead of focusing on their own.

Yes, one day we'll discover they're actually "stealth" Apple ads...

post #89 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

...makes me, as a consumer, think about their "kick-stand" and clicking keyboard cover and dancing people not really using their tablets for anything other than as a dance and music prop.

And the irony that both the Nokia Lumina PLASTIC phones and MS's own multi-color click-keyboards were featured so prominently only a month or two ago in all their ads...

post #90 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I really don't get their thinking with these ads. They should be focusing their efforts on getting Android switchers. I hardly doubt anyone is going to switch from an iPhone to a Windows Phone. Its more likely they'll switch from an Android phone to a Windows phone, especially if they didn't like Android and wanted avoid using iOS. A person switching from iOS is more likely to switch to Android from what I've seen.

Microsoft is more of a little fish in a big pond now as far as the phone space goes and they're starting a fight they'll never win. 

I agree Microsoft should target Android because it has a larger user base, however, as an Apple user I would switch to Windows first over Android. First, unlike Samsung, Nokia makes good quality phones. Second, I actually think Microsoft did a good job coming up with its own user interface as opposed to copying Apple. Third, as a dye hard Apple user, I hate Google.
post #91 of 176

An image I put together taking a punch back at Microsoft's Imitation is truly flattering AD ?

Guess its time to get this viral.. The facts on it are right ?

post #92 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

He's not- they even address him as Tim.
It's all in your mind.

Well my mind is also telling me that the person in the video is wearing a black shirt, you know, like Steve Jobs used to wear. Tim Cook doesn't wear shirts like that, and Tim Cook's hair does not look like in that video.

So, the person in the video looks like it could be Steve Jobs from behind, wearing his trademark black shirt, and you expect me to believe that it's coincidence? I'm not buying it.

And besides, MS did pull this video. So if everything is all fine and dandy, why'd they pull it?

post #93 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Balmer would never have allowed this!

HA HA HA! What, does this begin the era of "Steve Ballmer would never…"? lol.gif

Cough, cough, Ballmer DID allow that, or at least is responsible for the lack of discipline in messaging, because...
...ta-dah...
BALLMER STILL IS RUNNING M$
Note: announcing the intention to step down within the year one a proper replacement has been found is not the same stepping down immediately...
post #94 of 176

Here is another version of the Counter Ad

post #95 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

… If you spend the time to put a 41 megapixel, 9 element, motion stabilized, f2.2 camera into a phone, you probably want to tout that.  ...

But they didn't.  Nokia did.  

I would also bet money that the emphasis on the camera will actually diminish if not disappear entirely in the next line up of "Microsoft made" phones from what was formerly Nokia mobile.  

It isn't a business feature at all and the priorities are about to change rather radically.  

post #96 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you forget this?

What a great, relevant and oh-so-true ad that was. 

That said, I think the guy you replied to was referring specifically to the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads…? In those, Apple poked fun sympathetically at the PC itself, not the users.  No-one is saying that Apple never ever went after the market (users included).

The point of this ad wasn't even about putting down PC users so much as pointing out how MS's market really was at the time. Most people used MS/Windows because "everyone else did" and it was "the standard".

Can't say the ad wasn't exactly accurate. Even today, people still go down in flames by the millions around viruses et al, because they just don't know any better, and keep buying that Windows crap...

post #97 of 176
Everyone should consider that everyone aims at #1. By claiming imitation and irrelevance on the part of Apple, as part of Microsoft's marketing is acknowledging at the very least, they are even further behind. Keep it coming Samsung, Microsoft, Nokia... just proving you are still a distant competitor targeting #1.
post #98 of 176

Yet another version

post #99 of 176
Microsoft cant defend what they're selling. So they try and slam the competition. Just like politicians do. Apple Rocks!!!
post #100 of 176
Negativity has never been a selling point, even when you point it out with your competitors. When was the last time a guy convinced a girl to go out with him by putting down ALL the other men.
Lead by example, not from behind.

The most frustrating part of all this is that you can clearly see that the high end game of marketing is truly run by a$$holes, at least when it comes to Microsoft and Samsung.

Samsung: u wait in line for iPhone? You are stupid! Buy my phone instead, make up for small penis with big screen that no fit in pocket!

Microsoft: "Look how stupid Apple, who is mopping the floor with us in this industry, is! I guess that makes us retarded."
post #101 of 176

Interesting how desperate some of them can get to grab attention! How about grabbing attention with really cool phones?

post #102 of 176

Hey MS,

what's that stuff the iPhone 3G and 3GS are made of?

Just wondering is all.

My iPhone 5 already takes 28 Megapixel panoramas

10 shots per second from a camera phone is pretty impressive.

120 fps slow mo

64 bit

Who wants plastic anyway?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #103 of 176
The video they should be ashamed of is the one where Balmer bashes the iPhone when it's first announced. Ha!
post #104 of 176

While Microsoft post it's "We want a shit storm attack", Apple user are celebrating iTunes Festival! 

post #105 of 176
I wonder if they realize that you can't "pull" anything off the web. Once BuzzFeed picks it up, it's over.

Now, by pulling it, they look like idiots confirming that this was in bad taste.
post #106 of 176
Wasn't it Apple who started the whole mudslinging movement with the "I'm a Mac" ads?
post #107 of 176
Originally Posted by Electromikey View Post
Wasn't it Apple who started the whole mudslinging movement with the "I'm a Mac" ads?

Don't you have a phone orgy to attend? How about actually learning history before talking about it.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #108 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

The video they should be ashamed of is the one where Balmer bashes the iPhone when it's first announced. Ha!

Show me a video of someone lauding a competitor's product? It rarely happens if it all.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #109 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromikey View Post

Those were tasteful and amusing, this one is tasteless garbage.
post #110 of 176

Microsoft/Nokia are non-starters in mobile post-2007. MS first, and then a bit later with Nokia jointly, release a me-too platform that is redundant and pointless. Much like the Zune. And consumers have responded to this platform in much the same way as they responded to the Zune: largely ignoring it. 

MS has failed to execute on product (nothing attractive enough to shake up the segment) and on timing (too late.) So in other words, typical MS. But what has changed now is that their frustrations have taken them to a new low, and this ad is a case in point. 

post #111 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not true. Apple wasn't mocking the users, it was mocking Windows.

Same reason I'll never buy a Samsung product again. As in this ad, they were mocking the users of the iPhone, not the phone or the operating system.

Great way to alienate an entire market segment!

post #112 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

What a great, relevant and oh-so-true ad that was. 

That said, I think the guy you replied to was referring specifically to the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads…? In those, Apple poked fun sympathetically at the PC itself, not the users.  No-one is saying that Apple never ever went after the market (users included).

The point of this ad wasn't even about putting down PC users so much as pointing out how MS's market really was at the time. Most people used MS/Windows because "everyone else did" and it was "the standard".

1984 was aimed at IBM, not MS or Windows. Windows did not yet exist.

post #113 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Show me a video of someone lauding a competitor's product? It rarely happens if it all.

True but look how wrong Ballmer turned out to be.
post #114 of 176
This ads already online on other YouTube user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-_h_0103lQ&feature=youtu.be
post #115 of 176

What a truly distasteful advertisement.

post #116 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It turns out BusinessInsider did: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-video-making-fun-of-the-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-2013-9

Check out this comment at the bottom of the article about the ad:

"I thought it was funny. Regarding iPhone beating Windows Phone, just because something sells a lot does not mean it is the better product of its type out there. An example is all those crappy Louis Vuitton plastic coated canvas bags tons of women tots around. The iPhone is like the LV canvas bag for women and the Rolex watch for men, easy recognizable, immediately says something about you, but in no way the best in class."

Windows fans are now using the old Apple talking points to justify Windows Phone and it's small minority marketshare and implying Windows Phone now represents quality. lol.gifThat's a reality distortion field.

No doubt this would be the same type of person who would recommend Windows because it has 80-90% marketshare. Notice they never suggest what they think is the best in class, it's the same old sentiment that whatever is the best value or the best quality is just out there in the market somewhere and whatever it is, it doesn't have an Apple logo on it. It's this notion of anything except Apple and it's bizarre coming from people who use both Windows and Android because Microsoft has long been at war with the open source crowd. Somehow their intense dislike of Apple has allowed them to ignore the fact that Google and Microsoft are bigger competitors than Google and Apple and every time someone buys an Android phone, they pay Microsoft more money than they pay Google:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-most-profitable-mobile-operating-system-android-7000015094/

Maybe that's why Microsoft's attacking Apple because if they get $8 per Android phone (from the ones they persuaded to license), they make about the same royalty there as they do from their own OS.

Apple is in a unique position with the iPhone because the devices are widely regarded as being best-in-class (most popular music player, most popular for photography, smoothest running OS, best app selection, best hardware designs), hence why they maintain such high average selling prices and they sell more flagship models than any other manufacturer so there's no excuses left. They managed to nail the iPhone design right from the beginning and they haven't compromised quality in order to reach a high volume. This is why the competition can do nothing except make petty weak jabs at them because there's no substantial criticism to make. They did it right and customers are rewarding them for it. The only viable options are to applaud or sulk in the corner.
post #117 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

1984 was aimed at IBM, not MS or Windows. Windows did not yet exist.

You missed the point. We all know the 1984 ad was aimed at IBM.  The point was that Apple clearly attacked the people using IBM computers in 1984.  Therefore, the argument follows, MS isn't doing anything that Apple hasn't done in the past.  

But here's the rest of the story:

The difference is that in 1984, only large multi-national corporations had computers and the market was about to explode for small and medium sized business (law office, accounting, etc.).  Steve Jobs didn't care if he alienated the multi-nationals because they were never going to switch anyway.  His goal was to prevent the new entrants from joining the lemmings.  And succeed he did.   

The failure of many people to understand these subtle differences just goes to show how smart Steve was.  Microsoft's is so stupid it can't even properly copy Steve.     

Edited by ash471 - 9/13/13 at 4:46pm
post #118 of 176

The MS ad is poorly done and stupid, but I think everyone is over-reacting about the Steve Jobs similarity.  They don't make fun of his death or cancer.  So what if it's him in the video?

Next up, the Bible has been re-written to say "thou shalt not take the name of Steve Jobs in vain."

post #119 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

So what if it's him in the video?

As a general rule, Ash, depicting dead people in an attempt to sell phones makes you look like a disgusting human being.

And the fact that you don't recognise that says a lot about you.
Edited by GTR - 9/13/13 at 6:28pm
post #120 of 176
Why doesn't Microsoft go after Android users? There's more of them to convert and most of them are current WIndows users. What's their problem.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]