or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly finalizing lease for World Trade Center retail location

Apple reportedly finalizing lease for World Trade Center retail location

post #1 of 38
Apple is said to be nearing the close of a lease for another Manhattan retail location, this one located in an expansive shopping mall in the World Trade Center.

Concept drawing of the mall in development. Image via ifoAppleStore

The planned World Trade Center shopping mall, owned by Westfield Group, already has retailers lined up for about 90 percent of the first sites to come online, according to The New York Post. Apple is but one of a number of international brands said to be close to finalizing deals with Westfield.

Aside from Apple, the shopping mall owner is said to be closing deals with Victoria's Secret, J. Lindberg, Tory Burch, Theory, Michael Kors, Swatch, and Abercrombie & Fitch, as well as several other brands.

Rent in the location is said to run between $500 and $600 per square foot. Westfield paid the Port Authority $612 million for a long-term controlling interest in a joint venture for retail at the location. The mall will occupy space under three of the towers at One World Trade Center, taking up the lower floors of two towers.

For Apple, the World Trade Center location would mark its fifth retail store in Manhattan. Observers have noted that an Apple Store has been expected at this location for roughly two years, due to the size of the mall being built. Additionally, the World Trade Center is a major transportation hub, with PATH trains from New Jersey running through it alongside many other commuters, virtually guaranteeing heavy traffic for an Apple Store located there.

The mall is expected to open in a limited capacity in 2014, with a full opening slated for 2015. The Apple Store, some expect, would open at the same time as the mall's grand opening.
post #2 of 38
Considering every single Apple store looks the same, these constant articles on new Apple stores are possibly the most boring, waste of time kind of stories you people post.

Who gives a crap about a new store in a new mall anywhere?
post #3 of 38

Cool!

post #4 of 38

Sounds good to me. New York can always use more Apple stores, even though there are quite a few already.

post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Considering every single Apple store looks the same, these constant articles on new Apple stores are possibly the most boring, waste of time kind of stories you people post.

World Trade Center is a high profile location. And this is definitely Apple news that is worthwhile to all those who follow Apple and to Apple investors. And no, every single Apple store does not look the same. You must not have visited many Apple stores. 

It's not like Apple is opening a tiny store in the middle of Kansas.

post #6 of 38
Me. I care. Love this. Deep meaning to me.

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

post #7 of 38
Quote:

Two blocks away from my job! And, quite honestly, the Finacial District in Manhattan is still suffering. Transit hubs aren't up and running and the new trade center building hasn't even opened up yet. Heck, a building used by my job was completely demolished and just was rebuilt and re-opened several months ago. Twelve years after the attacks. The anniversary of the attacks were just held a couple days ago.

So, Gazoobee, stop being such a pill. An Apple store is both symbolic and material evidence of a very devastated area coming back to life. A revitalized mall/transit hub will be great for morale and the economy. And I'll have an Apple store a short walk away...big deal to me.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

World Trade Center is a high profile location. And this is definitely Apple news that is worthwhile to all those who follow Apple and to Apple investors. And no, every single Apple store does not look the same. You must not have visited many Apple stores. 

It's not like Apple is opening a tiny store in the middle of Kansas.

Inside, they mostly look identical.  The only ones worth reporting are those with different exterior architectural features.  The one in Asia with the glass cylinder and the original cube are almost the only ones that qualify.  A few others have interesting architectural features, but this one is only being reported because of the "patriotic" connection but it doesn't actually have any interest as a store at all.  It's just another "America! **** Yeah!" kind of article.  

post #9 of 38
In related news, Microsoft will open a kiosk next to the hot dog vendor.
post #10 of 38
Quote:

Inside, they mostly look identical.  The only ones worth reporting are those with different exterior architectural features.  The one in Asia with the glass cylinder and the original cube are almost the only ones that qualify.  A few others have interesting architectural features, but this one is only being reported because of the "patriotic" connection but it doesn't actually have any interest as a store at all.  It's just another "America! **** Yeah!" kind of article.  

Yeah, the World Trade Center does sort of have some kind of connection to 9/11 I believe.

If that offends you, then too fucking bad.

post #11 of 38
America! **** yeah!!

Yes, exactly.

With love from the UK.

post #12 of 38
That terminal is a wonderful space, looking forward to the new store!
post #13 of 38
Quote:

Who gives a crap?  Microsoft for one!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #14 of 38
Quote:

The most annoying type of comment on the Internet are comments questioning who would be interested in the story and stating that since the commenter themselves might not be interested the story should not have been posted.

It's the freaking Internet. If you aren't interested in the story don't click the link. Instead you yourself gave this story several page views and wrongly inflated the measure of interest in this story.

Talk about shooting your own foot..
post #15 of 38
How is he banned and still posting?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 38
Quote:

It's not the connection, it's a high traffic area with significance. New buildings, new underground, new station.
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Twelve years after the attacks. The anniversary of the attacks were just held a couple days ago.

Honest question, born of bewilderment: Why do you think things are still so incomplete twelve years after the attack? Doesn't that seem a tad long? Is it incompetence? Indifference? Infighting? If so, is anyone being held accountable?
post #18 of 38
I wonder if Apple opening a store there is such a good idea. That whole area is just one big bullseye for terrorists to destroy all over again. The U.S. is so cocky by boasting how they can't let terrorists browbeat them into defeat. That's almost daring someone to come and attack. It's just scary guessing about how many different types of weapons can be used by madmen in lower Manhattan.
post #19 of 38
Quote:

No likee, no clickee.

It's not difficult.

post #20 of 38

Retail is one of the strongest "legs" of the Apple story. Sounds like a premium location.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Honest question, born of bewilderment: Why do you think things are still so incomplete twelve years after the attack? Doesn't that seem a tad long? Is it incompetence? Indifference? Infighting? If so, is anyone being held accountable?

1. Can't start building on 9/12/01
2. Had to remove the debris
3. Had to sure up the train/subway stations
4. Had to plan/design
5. Had to meet with various groups
6. Had to iterate design
7. Had to plan/design memorial
8. Money
9. The Great Recession
10. Bid on contracts
11. Politics
12. Work around the train schedule.
13. Actually build it

And most of all need time to grieve
post #22 of 38
Quote:

There is actually a very good reason. One that would blow your mind if I told you. In fact, I don't fully understand it, so I won't pretend that I do....but, there is a good reason why no construction has been possible thus far on the site. 

I wouldn't advise anyone spend too much time around that site.

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

1. Can't start building on 9/12/01
2. Had to remove the debris
3. Had to sure up the train/subway stations
4. Had to plan/design
5. Had to meet with various groups
6. Had to iterate design
7. Had to plan/design memorial
8. Money
9. The Great Recession
10. Bid on contracts
11. Politics
12. Work around the train schedule.
13. Actually build it

And most of all need time to grieve

Speculation? 

WTC 7 was rebuilt and back in business by 2006. And even that would have been sooner had it not been for "politics".

Meanwhile, the massive and utterly useless Freedom tower was built...but not on the site previously occupied by WTC 1 & 2.

So, while I know you were just speculating, I'm going to have to throughout your 13 reasons as having anything do with 'why not' on that particular site.

post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I wonder if Apple opening a store there is such a good idea. That whole area is just one big bullseye for terrorists to destroy all over again. The U.S. is so cocky by boasting how they can't let terrorists browbeat them into defeat. That's almost daring someone to come and attack. It's just scary guessing about how many different types of weapons can be used by madmen in lower Manhattan.

What an unimaginably naive tv watcher you must be.

post #25 of 38
Quote:

A big part of the problem is that for years, the original WTC lease holder, Larry Silverstein took the Port Authority of NY/NJ to court, apparently because they wanted to short him on the money owed. IIRC, they wanted to reimburse him far less than the buildings/his investment was worth. He prevailed in the court fight only after several years had passed, but then project began to gain some headway. Nonetheless, when it comes to governmental agencies and big bucks stakeholders, there will always be political power grabs, waste, corruption, incompetence, and mismanagement. The 9/11 memorial fountain alone experienced cost and schedule overruns that are absolutely unbelievable. Victims families, perhaps rightly, squabbled over the design.

It cannot be underestimated how devastating to the city's infrastructure the attacks were. People outside of this region who use these services everyday have no idea. Very many subway lines and interstate NY/NJ trains, etc. needed to be rebuilt before other components of the project could proceed. Construction on the subway system could only be done on weekends and evenings because the system needs to move hundreds of thousands every day-very many get to Manhattan through just a few tunnels from Brooklyn and NJ. New security systems were put in place, new rail switches, and other infrastructure upgrades were added at the time.

Add to that the very ambitious Santiago Calatrava architectural plans for the transit hub...I could go on and on. I don't think anyone is being held accountable, as usual.

post #26 of 38
Quote:

It's just another "America! **** Yeah!" kind of article.  

It must really piss you off that Canada is part of North AMERICA.

If the US was not buying all of your timber, oil and gold you guys would be living like Siberians in your God forsaken tundra.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If the US was not buying all of your timber, oil and gold you guys would be living like Siberians in your God forsaken tundra.

Not really. It was nice to have a buffer zone between the US and USSR during the Cold War. Early warning for any attack over the North Pole.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 38
Quote:

Because they tend to refute the "apple is doomed" mantra so prevalent here. 

post #29 of 38
Quote:

Right. So the best course of action is to cower under our beds and beg the terrorists not to attack us? I like the idea of sticking a finger in their eye and daring them to try something. But then the drones have killed a lot of their best and brightest so that might be a problem for them. Are you French or something?

post #30 of 38
Sixth. This would be the sixth Apple Store on Manhattan island:
1) Fifth Ave
2) SoHo
3) West 14
4) Upper West
5) Grand Central.

It would be the seventh Apple Store in NYC (Staten Island).
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Speculation? 

WTC 7 was rebuilt and back in business by 2006. And even that would have been sooner had it not been for "politics".
Meanwhile, the massive and utterly useless Freedom tower was built...but not on the site previously occupied by WTC 1 & 2.

So, while I know you were just speculating, I'm going to have to throughout your 13 reasons as having anything do with 'why not' on that particular site.

Why do you think the freedom tower is useless? They needed to replace all that office space. The trains were still running during the station reconstruction. It's easier to build a building than it is to build around working trains.
post #32 of 38

I maintain that these United States of America would willingly welcome in the Canadian provinces as equal states of our Union, so as to bolster their economies, promote our general defense, and make available the bounteous resources of the north of our continent to the entirety of our even greater nation. 

It seems, too, that Canadians, desire said fellowship, as 90% of their population lives within 200 miles of the border. Again, we'll welcome you all, and we'll even let Quebec keep their Frenchness, just don't expect us to change all US signage to dual language, because that's ludicrous for Canada in and of itself.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not really. It was nice to have a buffer zone between the US and USSR during the Cold War. Early warning for any attack over the North Pole.

At the risk of being labeled a heretic I would argue that most anti-USA rants as sour grapes, but your example just adds one more revenue source for Canada in leasing out radar installation sites to the US. Years from now when the Earth's population can move beyond sectarian infighting, we need to address the most destructive issues endangering the planet such as pollution, cosmic radiation, alien attack, ozone depletion, meteor collision and nuclear melt down. We must come together as a people and put aside any cultural differences to achieve a common goal of sustainability.

post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I maintain that these United States of America would willingly welcome in the Canadian provinces as equal states of our Union, so as to bolster their economies, promote our general defense, and make available the bounteous resources of the north of our continent to the entirety of our even greater nation. 

It seems, too, that Canadians, desire said fellowship, as 90% of their population lives within 200 miles of the border. Again, we'll welcome you all, and we'll even let Quebec keep their Frenchness, just don't expect us to change all US signage to dual language, because that's ludicrous for Canada in and of itself.
Nope, they were pre approved in the Articles of Confederation and didn't bother. So they missed their chance for the awesomeness. Article XI: http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=3&page=transcript
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What an unimaginably naive tv watcher you must be.

Quote:

Quote:

It's just another "America! **** Yeah!" kind of article.  

He didn't get banned without reason.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #36 of 38
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
Nope, they were pre approved in the Articles of Confederation and didn't bother. So they missed their chance for the awesomeness. Article XI: http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=3&page=transcript

We're not sore about it. They didn't join up in the first place because Guy Carleton got a cushy job in Quebec and didn't get fully captured because Arnold was a whiny twit. The failings of two men are hardly call for denying the betterment of what became an entire nation.

post #37 of 38
Quote:

That's the spirit! Talk about lying down to be counted.

post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equality72521 View Post

America! **** yeah!!

Yes, exactly.

With love from the UK.

The anti-American stereotypes have been played out.

Read the memo.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly finalizing lease for World Trade Center retail location