or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone sparks Japanese carrier battle, iPhone 5s goes free on contract
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone sparks Japanese carrier battle, iPhone 5s goes free on contract

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 
Apple's Japanese partner carriers on Friday announced price plans for the latest iPhones, with each provider offering the entry level version of the flagship iPhone 5s for free with a two-year contract, a move seemingly sparked by NTT DoCoMo's agreement to sell the device.

iPhone Japan


With the announcement that Japan's largest cellular provider NTT DoCoMo would start sales of Apple's iPhone for the first time, the country's three major carriers now have access to the device.

In what looks to be a price war to attract new customers, all three telecoms ? DoCoMo, SoftBank and KDDI ? are offering the iPhone 5s with discounts that effectively make the phone free on contract. As noted by CNET, the special pricing only applies to the 16GB version of the handset.

As with any subsidized device, limitations apply to early upgraders, though the up front fee is still less than what customers in the U.S. have to pay. Interestingly, only KDDI is offering a free version of the cheaper iPhone 5c with a new contract activation or transfer from another carrier.

In addition, DoCoMo is running a promotion to lure existing iPhone users away from rival networks. If an iPhone owner brings in their used SoftBank or KDDI handset, they will receive special bonus "points" that can be applied to a new DoCoMo account, redeemable for other products or repair services.

A report on Friday estimated that 66 percent of former DoCoMo customers left the carrier because it did not sell the iPhone. The statistic is in line with previous statements from the company, which blamed Apple's handset for ongoing net losses in subscribership.

Since the first iPhone was released in 2007, DoCoMo has been unwilling to carry the phone as Apple does not allow carriers to preinstall apps or brand the device with their logo. The telecom was still holding out as late as July, when CEO Kaoru Kato said his company was in no rush to ink a deal due to Apple's strict requirements.

Aside from customers leaving DoCoMo's network, local corporations have also been negatively impacted by the iPhone. Big name companies that sold Japan-only handsets through, including Panasonic and NEC, recently exited the sector after months of declining in sales.

It remains to be seen what effect the iPhone will ultimately have on Japan's smartphone ecosystem, which was previously dominated by domestic products, but subscriber statistics appear to show Apple's handset quickly gobbling up market share.

Some industry watchers believe Apple stands to gain some 35 million additional iPhone sales in 2014 as a result of new deals with DoCoMo and China Mobile. The latter has yet to announce a partnership with Apple, though both the iPhone 5c and 5s were granted a network license from the Chinese government earlier this week, allowing it to operate on the unique TD-LTE bands used by the world's largest cellular provider.
post #2 of 60
Hail to the King baby!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 60
post #4 of 60
That's what they've always done, nothing has changed. When I picked up my iPhone 4 the 16gb model was free and it was an extra $100 for the 32gb model.

Last year when I upgraded to the iPhone 5, the 16gb model was available free, an extra $120ish for the 32gb model, an extra $120ish on top of that for the 64gb model.

That's with SoftBank, but AU was the same when they started offering the iPhone as well starting with the 4s.
post #5 of 60

It's almost as if Apple knew the carriers would do this... :lol:

post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain22 View Post

It's almost as if Apple knew the carriers would do this... lol.gif

You may be on to something... Anyway, this news will only cause Apple's stock to plummet...!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #7 of 60
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You may be on to something... Anyway, this news will only cause Apple's stock to plummet...!
Lol far from it. Apple had already done there part of the deal by selling handsets to the different service providers. The service providers price the device ensuring they make grounds with there service offerings. It has nothing to do with Apples bargain with them.
post #8 of 60
The phone is NOT free. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot. And spare me the quips, "Hey, but it DOES mean I don't have to pay anything EXTRA." Sorry, pal, but that "extra" you speak of, even if $850, is pittance compared to the carrier fees that you will rack up over the next few years.

SoftBank charges about $70 a month in base fees to use an iPhone in Japan. 70 x 12 = $840 annually, or $4200 over 5 years. Yes, you need to think long term because it's not like you are only going to use your iOS phone for only 2 years and then quit! You're hooked forever, unless you go back to Stupid Phones. But who does that?

It's a sad fact that the media continues to refuse to bash the carriers for exorbitant monthly fees while at the same time Apple gets bashed for not coming out with a cheap enough phone. It's totally stupid and outrageous. Almost as outrageous as the fact that smartphone users themselves haven't yet revolted against the wireless carriers on this issue. Outrageous!

(I'm a Mac lover since 1984 and WiFi iPad lover since the iPad3, but I refuse to get an iPhone or any smartphone due to the wireless carrier fees. When those fees come down to $10 or $15 per month and give me always on internet, then they will have hooked me.)
post #9 of 60

Boom baby!  These will fly off the shelves.

 

This is proof that iPhones are very inexpensive when sold on contract to customers who are ready to make use of Apple's ecosystem.

They get their money's worth via free iOS updates and the ecosystem as a whole.

 

I bet this will happen in the States as well.  It has already happened in the States with the 5c.

post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
When those fees come down to $10 or $15 per month and give me always on internet, then they will have hooked me.)

How much do you pay a month for cellular service?  I have a "bring your own" iPhone on tmobile's pay as you go.  $30/month for unlimited text/data and 100 minutes.  

 

I haven't seen a $10/$15/month plan for unlimited data for any device, though I've seen one for $25.

post #11 of 60

"Since the first iPhone was released in 2007, DoCoMo has been unwilling to carry the phone as Apple does not allow carriers to preinstall apps or brand the device with their logo."

 

 

This is really sad because history shows that user interface suffers significantly when their companies install apps with their logos. Why companies STILL do that with Windoze and mobile devices is a mystery. It worsens their user experience and they wonder why they cannot get them as popular as Apple products. 

post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post

SoftBank charges about $70 a month in base fees to use an iPhone in Japan. 70 x 12 = $840 annually, or $4200 over 5 years. Yes, you need to think long term because it's not like you are only going to use your iOS phone for only 2 years and then quit! You're hooked forever, unless you go back to Stupid Phones. But who does that?

 

I've no idea what the contract situation in Japan is, but in the UK and other parts of Europe, once your contract is up you can change your plan to a SIM only deal, where the cost of the phone isn't incorporated into the monthly rate, so you get much lower bills.  A SIM-only contract will regularly come out at less than half the cost of the contract you get with an iPhone for equivalent service.  

 

Or you can go Pay As You Go too.

 

In any case, now you own the phone and can use it on a different contract, or another carrier entirely, or sell it and sign up for a new contract with the latest and greatest handset.

 

So you're not hooked on the same rate forever.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post

Outrageous!

I know, that's why I just buy it outright from Apple (€899) and get a cheap SIM only crap deal. €10 for call/text and something like €3 for 200MB/m
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #14 of 60

I have a theory that Apple is the only foreign OS, computer company that places high importance on the Japan market, because of niceties like excellent language input, much better font selection for Japanese, a Japanese dictionary (OSX and iOS). Android definitely don't have a good font selection, I don't think Google sees the value in that, even its default Roboto is a rip off (of Helvetica and various fonts), Google definitely is not footing the bill for fonts. As for Windows, as far as I know, you get only a serif and a san-serif Japanese font (correct me if I'm wrong please, since I only have Windows XP experience on this). I think this goes a long way if that's the main language you use on the OS, imagine if your OS's English font selection is just Arial and Times, and seriously I love that dictionary on OSX and iOS.

 

Aside from that, probably Apple style aesthetic, clean lines, simplicity, delightfulness, appeals to the Japanese. (I feel like an idiot writing that, since I'm totally guessing, ditto the font/language theory :p).

 

And aside from that, its a cool phone with a great ecosystem. This goes without saying ... feel like an idiot stating the obvious too.

post #15 of 60
I am interested in the proposition that we may be seeing a sea change in the way phones are sold in a market that was previously subsidized,

 • If all the carriers are pressured by competition to discount the MSRP of an entry iPhone model from $99 to $0 under contract -- doesn't the "street" price of the entry iPhone model become $0?

 • If the price of the iPhone is the same for all carriers, won't the carriers have to compete on the quality and extent of their services?

 • Could one of the services that a carrier offers, to differentiate itself, be:  no or low interest financing of the iPhone?

 • Would the financing contract of the iPhone, necessarily, be tied to a services contract?

 • If not, wouldn't the carriers become more competitive and flexible with their services offerings?

 •  Instead of contracts with "activation" fees and "early termination" fees might we see no contracts and "loyalty" incentives offered by the carriers?

 •  If the "street" price of the latest/greatest entry iPhone model is $0 what is the "street" price of competitive smart phones?

 •  Is this a good thing for the consumer?

 •  Is this a good thing for the carriers?

 •  Is this a good thing for the smart phone manufacturers?

 •  Is this a good thing for Apple?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #16 of 60
> I haven't seen a $10/$15/month plan for unlimited data for any device, though I've seen one for $25.

The best deal I have obtained here in DK is 13$/mth for 3Gb data, 2 h talk, but SMS at 4c each (luckily most of my testing is iMessage)

Just because there are rules, it doesn't mean the game is fair.

Reply

Just because there are rules, it doesn't mean the game is fair.

Reply
post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post

The phone is NOT free. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot. And spare me the quips, "Hey, but it DOES mean I don't have to pay anything EXTRA." Sorry, pal, but that "extra" you speak of, even if $850, is pittance compared to the carrier fees that you will rack up over the next few years.

SoftBank charges about $70 a month in base fees to use an iPhone in Japan. 70 x 12 = $840 annually, or $4200 over 5 years. Yes, you need to think long term because it's not like you are only going to use your iOS phone for only 2 years and then quit! You're hooked forever, unless you go back to Stupid Phones. But who does that?

It's a sad fact that the media continues to refuse to bash the carriers for exorbitant monthly fees while at the same time Apple gets bashed for not coming out with a cheap enough phone. It's totally stupid and outrageous. Almost as outrageous as the fact that smartphone users themselves haven't yet revolted against the wireless carriers on this issue. Outrageous!

(I'm a Mac lover since 1984 and WiFi iPad lover since the iPad3, but I refuse to get an iPhone or any smartphone due to the wireless carrier fees. When those fees come down to $10 or $15 per month and give me always on internet, then they will have hooked me.)

That's not gonna happen. Operating, building, and maintaining a cellular network takes a huge capital expenditure, and the carriers are also in the business of making a profit. Anyone in the market for a smartphone has already decided on taking on the ongoing costs, then all they need is to choose a phone. If the monthly bill is going to be the same with a free phone or a $199 one then many will choose the free one.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post

The phone is NOT free. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot. And spare me the quips, "Hey, but it DOES mean I don't have to pay anything EXTRA." Sorry, pal, but that "extra" you speak of, even if $850, is pittance compared to the carrier fees that you will rack up over the next few years.

SoftBank charges about $70 a month in base fees to use an iPhone in Japan. 70 x 12 = $840 annually, or $4200 over 5 years. Yes, you need to think long term because it's not like you are only going to use your iOS phone for only 2 years and then quit! You're hooked forever, unless you go back to Stupid Phones. But who does that?

It's a sad fact that the media continues to refuse to bash the carriers for exorbitant monthly fees while at the same time Apple gets bashed for not coming out with a cheap enough phone. It's totally stupid and outrageous. Almost as outrageous as the fact that smartphone users themselves haven't yet revolted against the wireless carriers on this issue. Outrageous!

(I'm a Mac lover since 1984 and WiFi iPad lover since the iPad3, but I refuse to get an iPhone or any smartphone due to the wireless carrier fees. When those fees come down to $10 or $15 per month and give me always on internet, then they will have hooked me.)

Why not just but an unlocked iPhone then? That's what I do. I use the web on wifi only and everywhere I travel too has wifi.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why not just but an unlocked iPhone then? That's what I do. I use the web on wifi only and everywhere I travel too has wifi.

On what carrier and what country? The carriers in the US require a data plan for smartphones.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #20 of 60
I am curious to know whether Apple let Docomo to preunstall apps or to rebrand it somehow.
I wouldn't want that as that would be a sign of Apple's weakness.

Any news on this topic?
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post

When those fees come down to $10 or $15 per month and give me always on internet, then they will have hooked me.

Move to the UK then;)

 

Our country might be slowly falling apart but we have pretty decent phone tarrifs.  I always buy my phones sim free and am currently paying £9.99/month (about $15) for a sim-only deal with Three for 200 mins talktime, 3000 texts and unlimited data.  They're currently rolling out their LTE network which will be unlimited as well for no extra cost.  That's a rolling monthly contract as well, so if a different carrier can offer me a better deal, I can switch by giving 30 days notice.

post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post

The phone is NOT free. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot. And spare me the quips, "Hey, but it DOES mean I don't have to pay anything EXTRA." Sorry, pal, but that "extra" you speak of, even if $850, is pittance compared to the carrier fees that you will rack up over the next few years.

It depends.

If the surcharge ends when you complete the contract, then your argument would be correct. In the U.S., that's not how it works.

Let's take two people:
Person A gets an iPhone 4S ('free' with contract) and pays $80 per month. They keep the phone 4 years.

Person B gets an iPhone 4S ('free' with contract) and pays $80 per month. In 2 years, they upgrade to whatever phone is 'free with contract' at that time and keep it 2 more years.

Both people pay the same total amount, but the second person truly does get a free phone (and can sell their 4S for a few hundred dollars or give it to the kids to use on Straighttalk or Net10.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


On what carrier and what country? The carriers in the US require a data plan for smartphones.

 

They require a data plan for iPhones but you can get some of the Android phones without a data... oh... wait... sorry, you're right... you said smartphones.   :lol:
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibby View Post

I am curious to know whether Apple let Docomo to preunstall apps or to rebrand it somehow.
I wouldn't want that as that would be a sign of Apple's weakness.

Any news on this topic?

If in fact Apple did give a concession it is in no way, shape, or form a sign of weakness. A NTT docomo subscriber is a lot more NTT's customer than they are Apple's, and NTT has worked hard to give their customers a good experience so I don't think that they wanting to offer all of their customers the same experience like Apple does an unreasonable request.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 60
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
The phone is NOT free. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot. And spare me the quips, "Hey, but it DOES mean I don't have to pay anything EXTRA." Sorry, pal, but that "extra" you speak of, even if $850, is pittance compared to the carrier fees that you will rack up over the next few years.

SoftBank charges about $70 a month in base fees to use an iPhone in Japan. 70 x 12 = $840 annually, or $4200 over 5 years. Yes, you need to think long term because it's not like you are only going to use your iOS phone for only 2 years and then quit! You're hooked forever, unless you go back to Stupid Phones. But who does that?

It's a sad fact that the media continues to refuse to bash the carriers for exorbitant monthly fees while at the same time Apple gets bashed for not coming out with a cheap enough phone. It's totally stupid and outrageous. Almost as outrageous as the fact that smartphone users themselves haven't yet revolted against the wireless carriers on this issue. Outrageous!

(I'm a Mac lover since 1984 and WiFi iPad lover since the iPad3, but I refuse to get an iPhone or any smartphone due to the wireless carrier fees. When those fees come down to $10 or $15 per month and give me always on internet, then they will have hooked me.)

 

Thanks a million. People keep forgetting this, and it needs to be shouted from the rooftops. This "requires a data plan" BS needs to be taken care of.

 

I refuse to get an iPhone due to the carrier fees, myself. I've no problem buying an iPhone outright, but I can't afford the plan. Can't be justified by my potential use case.

 
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Why not just but an unlocked iPhone then? That's what I do. I use the web on wifi only and everywhere I travel too has wifi.

 

How does that make it a phone? Doesn't really help him. You want him to basically do what I've done for the past 6 years. It has worked for me, and I enjoy it, but only because it's all I've ever known a smartphone to be.

 

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
That's not gonna happen. Operating, building, and maintaining a cellular network takes a huge capital expenditure, and the carriers are also in the business of making a profit.

 

Of course it will. Don't kid yourself. It will only not happen if people let it not happen. Are you claiming that technology doesn't get cheaper? Is that what you're saying? In that case, my magical ten megabit Internet connection should be costing me thousands of dollars a month since it's so fast compared to the 2400 baud my neighbors have. Ah, wait, it's not 1993 anymore. Dial up doesn't cost $39 a month.


The fact that we not only pay these prices but LET THE CARRIERS COLLUDE TO RAISE PRICES SIMULTANEOUSLY is a failing on our part.

post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why not just but an unlocked iPhone then? That's what I do. I use the web on wifi only and everywhere I travel too has wifi.

Because buying an unlocked phone is a waste of money in some cases.

For example, if you choose AT&T, the price is the same whether you use their subsidized phone or bring your own. So if you buy an unlocked phone and use it on the AT&T network, you're throwing away hundreds of dollars. The same is true of some of the other majors, as well.

Buying an unlocked phone and using it on a pay-as-you-go carrier is the least expensive route, but it doesn't work for everyone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #27 of 60
"Apple's iPhone sparks Japanese carrier battle"

Classic WWII.
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course it will. Don't kid yourself. It will only not happen if people let it not happen. Are you claiming that technology doesn't get cheaper? Is that what you're saying? In that case, my magical ten megabit Internet connection should be costing me thousands of dollars a month since it's so fast compared to the 2400 baud my neighbors have. Ah, wait, it's not 1993 anymore. Dial up doesn't cost $39 a month.


The fact that we not only pay these prices but LET THE CARRIERS COLLUDE TO RAISE PRICES SIMULTANEOUSLY is a failing on our part.

It doesn't get cheaper just like the iPhone released each year doesn’t get cheaper. The network is constantly evolving and being constantly upgraded to handle demand and obsolescence. I work for a telecom and I am witnessing first hand equipment that was installed 5-10 years ago and cost 10s of millions of dollars being replaced by even more expensive equipment.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 60
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
It doesn't get cheaper just like the iPhone released each year doesn’t get cheaper.

 

No, that's not a comparison in any respect, thanks. In fact, you continue to prove me right. The iPhone DOES get cheaper every year. You can get an iPhone 4S for $100 less than a year ago. It's the same product… cheaper.

 

Just like cellular telephony is the same product… not cheaper.

 
I work for a telecom and I am witnessing first hand equipment that was installed 5-10 years ago and cost 10s of millions of dollars being replaced by even more expensive equipment.

 

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the corruption at hand. Everything you say continues to prove me right.

post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's not a comparison in any respect, thanks. In fact, you continue to prove me right. The iPhone DOES get cheaper every year. You can get an iPhone 4S for $100 less than a year ago. It's the same product… cheaper.

Just like cellular telephony is the same product… not cheaper.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the corruption at hand. Everything you say continues to prove me right.

What part of 'released every year' was too hard for you to understand?

Obsolescence is not corruption. I so enjoy how you keep proving how clueless you are. You sound exactly like those that ask why can't Apple make a cheap phone is Samsung can do it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 60
I wonder if any of the people who are screaming about how the 5C shows Apple is doomed remember that link about misunderstanding the Japanese market. I seem to recall the whole nation would shun the phone because it doesn't have NFC and a giant screen. Oh and it would never sell without colors. Just like how no one would buy an iPhone because of the price, or the 3 because of the plastic back, or the G because it wasn't a real upgrade, or the 4 because it had too much glass or the 4S because it wasn't a real upgrade and it didn't have a 6 inch screen and oh yeah antenna gate, and nobody would buy the 5 because the screen was bigger but not enough, and....

Funny how despite it being obviously the worst phone ever made based on the site trolls posts, they just keep outselling everything.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #32 of 60
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
What part of 'released every year' was too hard for you to understand?

 

The part where it's irrelevant to the topic.

 
Obsolescence is not corruption. I so enjoy how you keep proving how clueless you are. You sound exactly like those that ask why can't Apple make a cheap phone is Samsung can do it.

 

So all these landline ISPs who update their hardware in the same timeframe as you guys; they're backed by magical leprechauns who give them all the gold they could ever want, letting them continuously lower prices while providing faster services. But you, no, you in the telecoms, you don't have those leprechauns; you have to keep raising them and cutting off services to people while doing the same thing. First texting was five cents, then ten, now twenty per text. It costs you absolutely nothing to send them beyond the electricity powering the stations at rest, since they go on the always-on wavelength. Then Internet was unlimited, now 2GB, now throttled, and costing more. Don't give me that BS.

post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The part where it's irrelevant to the topic.

So all these landline ISPs who update their hardware in the same timeframe as you guys; they're backed by magical leprechauns who give them all the gold they could ever want, letting them continuously lower prices while providing faster services. But you, no, you in the telecoms, you don't have those leprechauns; you have to keep raising them and cutting off services to people while doing the same thing. First texting was five cents, then ten, now twenty per text. It costs you absolutely nothing to send them beyond the electricity powering the stations at rest, since they go on the always-on wavelength. Then Internet was unlimited, now 2GB, now throttled, and costing more. Don't give me that BS.

And how did you expect the telecoms to recover the lost revenue when subscribers no longer purchased apps from them? They also have a profit margin to maintain and if they lose revenue on one service they'll get it from another. I mean really is Apple the only company allowed to make money?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #34 of 60
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
And how did you expect the telecoms to recover the lost revenue when subscribers no longer purchased apps from them?

 

Okay, honestly, did anyone ever do that, ever, anyway? That can't have been their primary source of revenue.

post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibby View Post

I am curious to know whether Apple let Docomo to preunstall apps or to rebrand it somehow.
I wouldn't want that as that would be a sign of Apple's weakness.

Any news on this topic?

I haven't heard any news but there is exactly 0% chance of either of those things happening.
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, honestly, did anyone ever do that, ever, anyway? That can't have been their primary source of revenue.

Just as texts aren't a primary source of income. Here's a novel idea, you want a cheap plan? Then get a feature phone. Don't buy a sports car and then complain about the price of premium gasoline.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #37 of 60
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Just as texts aren't a primary source of income.

 

Would you be going against an NDA to disclose a breakdown of your company's profits, then? Or is that stuff you're even privy to?

 
Don't buy a sports car and then complain about the price of premium gasoline. 

 

Ah, car analogies: the white bread of the technology world. Bland and disgusting.

 

If I buy a high-end car, I'm not wasting money on fossil fuel.

post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If I buy a high-end car, I'm not wasting money on fossil fuel.

Buy a iPhone first then we can discuss buying a car.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #39 of 60

iPhone.  Big in Japan.

 

Now, if only Apple could get US cell carriers into an iPhone-subsidy-war.

Just think.  We could save maybe $100 over our two year contracts.

That's roughly 4 percent of our iPhone TCO!  Such a deal.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post

The phone is NOT free. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot. And spare me the quips, "Hey, but it DOES mean I don't have to pay anything EXTRA." Sorry, pal, but that "extra" you speak of, even if $850, is pittance compared to the carrier fees that you will rack up over the next few years.

SoftBank charges about $70 a month in base fees to use an iPhone in Japan. 70 x 12 = $840 annually, or $4200 over 5 years. Yes, you need to think long term because it's not like you are only going to use your iOS phone for only 2 years and then quit! You're hooked forever, unless you go back to Stupid Phones. But who does that?

It's a sad fact that the media continues to refuse to bash the carriers for exorbitant monthly fees while at the same time Apple gets bashed for not coming out with a cheap enough phone. It's totally stupid and outrageous. Almost as outrageous as the fact that smartphone users themselves haven't yet revolted against the wireless carriers on this issue. Outrageous!

(I'm a Mac lover since 1984 and WiFi iPad lover since the iPad3, but I refuse to get an iPhone or any smartphone due to the wireless carrier fees. When those fees come down to $10 or $15 per month and give me always on internet, then they will have hooked me.)

 

Damn, I wish the car dealer had told me about the cost of running my car before I bought it.

 

Money going to a carrier that doesn't contribute to a subsidy is dead money.

 

Paying to top up a prepaid for two years and ending up with nothing just doesn't make sense.

 

Carrier fees used to be exorbitant back in the nineties, the value you get today for the same money is incredible.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone sparks Japanese carrier battle, iPhone 5s goes free on contract
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone sparks Japanese carrier battle, iPhone 5s goes free on contract