or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What new directions should Apple explore?

What new directions should Apple explore?

post #1 of 47

With such a formidable array  of talented engineers, designers and creatives and their current range of state of the art products, not to mention a great pile of cash, where next? Watches are 'so yesterday', unless they can relate closely to our ever evolving needs. Desktop machines are likely to continue to be needed, but with much greater power, interactivity, connectivity and productivity.

The interconnectivity of iPhones, iPads and  Mac computers is already at the 'useful' stage. How far could this go?

The current decline and difficulties that Microsoft are encountering illustrates the difficulties that companies can get into if they do not place their products in relation to ever changing customer needs.

What do you think?

post #2 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

With such a formidable array  of talented engineers, designers and creatives and their current range of state of the art products, not to mention a great pile of cash, where next?
Well expand the IPad line up but that is really trivial.

I would really like to see them come out with the often discussed XMac. Yeah I know we keep hearing that the desktop is a declining market but it is still a market.

While some might object to this idea i'd like to see Apple offer One or Two models of an audio receiver. it would have to work with the "I" devices well and ideally would also act as a server. With todays electronics it should be fairly easy to fit a receiver with multiple channel support into a 19 inch package along with the hardware to support its server duties. Here the server storage could easily be plugged into the receiver if need be. Also Apple TV functionality would have to be built in. Effectively this becomes a media center controller into which you plug in speakers and a video screen of some sort.

I'd really like to see them take a crack at the education market. Lets face it Mac OS and IOS are nice but they don't by themselves do much for education. Here I'm thinking both mainstream and technical content. I'd even go so far as to suggest that they recycle IPhone controller boards as an educational platform along the likes of Arduino and similar platforms that spark technical creativity in people of all ages. The only problem here is that this would require an open operating system to really work.

I'd like to see Apple expand its AI work. Siri is an interesting start but we need AI locally on our devices. The AI should go off device as needed but it is rather silly that Siri goes back to an Apple server to set an alarm. Even speech to text should be handled locally.

It would be nice to see Apple get involved in robotics. It is still early in this industry and getting costs down isn't simple like it is in the semiconductor industry. However I believe that Apple could easily offer up useful robots for the home and office.
Quote:

Watches are 'so yesterday', unless they can relate closely to our ever evolving needs.
I dont get watches either. Back when trains where the major mode of transportation they where status symbols with positive connotations. Today they are just as likely to indicate that somebody with mental issues is near by.
Quote:
Desktop machines are likely to continue to be needed, but with much greater power, interactivity, connectivity and productivity.
The interconnectivity of iPhones, iPads and  Mac computers is already at the 'useful' stage. How far could this go?
Actually a lot farther.
Quote:
The current decline and difficulties that Microsoft are encountering illustrates the difficulties that companies can get into if they do not place their products in relation to ever changing customer needs.

What do you think?
MS has many problems none of which I see at Apple so I'm not too concerned. Apples biggest problem right now is outlandish attempts to damage the company and manipulate its stock. This can be seen in the latest mantra directed at Apple that they can't innovate anymore. This is highly laughable in light of all the technology in the new iPhones.

So the real issue with Apple is that some of these attempts by outside instigators actually have the impact they are gaming for and do damage the companies reputation, market creed, coolness or what ever factor seems to fit.
post #3 of 47

A great response. The suggestion that robotics might be a new direction is a good one. Thanks for that. I hope there are lots more ideas to come.

greatrix

post #4 of 47
Quote:

A great response. The suggestion that robotics might be a new direction is a good one. Thanks for that. I hope there are lots more ideas to come.
greatrix

The forum has bene a bit dead of late. That seems to happen around back to school time. Soooo ideas may be slow in coming.

The other thing is that there are far more complainers than doers. Generating new ideas isn't always easy.
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The forum has bene a bit dead of late. That seems to happen around back to school time. Soooo ideas may be slow in coming.

The other thing is that there are far more complainers than doers. Generating new ideas isn't always easy.

It's mostly because every year Apple releases the same things with faster this, better that... It's nothing new that we don't predict in this community. We had the Mac Pro in our minds months before it was released just envisioned it as a G4 Cube, the iPhone 5S and 5C already leaked for us even if the rumours were right from the start, it's not exciting like it used to be. I really think it's something psychological happening at a mass scale that's causing people to loose faith in Apple. We have a new keynote coming and I already know what's in store. The Mac Pro, the 4th iPad, the iPad Mini with a retina screen, and an Apple TV UI refresh to accompany iTunes Radio, and maybe some upgrades to the Macbook lineup but I'd doubt it with the 14nm Broadwell's coming out next year. Until they get their act together and start making things better... say a battery that lasts longer than 3 days on iDevices and charges in seconds I won't be interested in looking at Apple. They need to start innovating again... Give me something that I really want. Like a flying car that drives itself or OLED screens on iPhones, iPods, and Macs.

Edited by darkdefender - 9/28/13 at 3:31pm

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #6 of 47

Great thread. On another forum, I started a thread where I rejected/challenged the use of the word "smart" when referring to the current crop of phones, tablets and TV's. These are just devices which have more features than the previous generation of devices - but they are hardly (truly) smart. I would love to see Apple charge into the area of artificial or predictive intelligence. And if Apple doesn't do it, I have no doubt that someone will.

Although these tasks would not require a device which was truly "smart" (only capable of reacting to specified if/then conditionals), here's a portion of the post that I made elsewhere:

Siri, start my Jaguar at 6:15AM M-F if I'm at home and if the temperature is below 32 degrees.

Siri, instead of the Jaguar (RWD car), start my WRX (AWD car) at 6:15AM M-F if I'm at home and if there is more than 3 inches of snow in the 24 hour forecast for a 100 mile radius of my home.

Siri, start the coffee maker at 6AM M-F if I'm at home and at 10AM on Saturday and Sunday if I'm at home.

Siri, send me one alert each, on the day before, for all of the birthdays that are in my contacts list - for my mother and my girlfriend, send me daily alerts beginning a week in advance of their birthdays.

Siri, when I am departing my home location, five minutes after I have left, adjust the thermostat to 78 degrees in the summer and 60 degrees in the winter. When I am within 10 miles of my home, traveling in the direction of my home, adjust the temperature to 72 degrees in the summer and winter.

Siri, always record any TV show with "F1", "Formula One", "GP2", "Le Mans", or "sports car" in the title/keyword section. And add 1 hour to any live broadcast. Never record a show with the word "Kardashian", "Jersey Shore", "Snooki", "Lohan", "Real Housewives" or "Palin" in the title or keyword. And if anyone other than me attempts to watch such a show, say the word "stupid" 8 times and then change the channel to the History Channel after 30 seconds.

Siri, send me alerts, until I respond to the alerts, whenever the stock ABC reaches a low of $29 or a high of $39 or when XYZ reaches a low of $44.49 or a high of $68.76.

Last task, Siri: on the morning of my birthday every year, tell me that Salma Hayek and Sofia Vergara called to wish me a happy birthday, while they were frolicking together in a hot tub on the French Riviera - and they wished I could be there. Note: if you detect my girlfriend's iPhone within 50 yards of me, do not deliver this message until she's left the state.
Thanks, Siri. You're a doll.

-------

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
post #7 of 47

After Apple has successfully conquered our offices, ears and pockets, it's time to conquer our living rooms.

The iTV or whatever it may be called is a logical consequence of all the products we have so far that are perfectly interacting with each other. AppleTV was a start, but looking at what the TV industry has to offer currently, especially from a usability point of view, there is a lot, and I mean a LOT of room for improvement.

Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #8 of 47

Maybe one day Apple will start to introduce a television which might compete with Samsung. Wishful thinking anyway.

post #9 of 47

Home Automation. 

The industry has done absolutely nothing worthwhile IMO.   Too many standards  (Zigbee, Zwave, Insteon etc) and clearly not enough interoperability. 

If we really expect sensors to become a big thing then the glue is going to be software that ties these elements together in a way that your grandpappy could install. 

Airplay Services could encompass FaceTime like video tech for cams,  beefier Airplay routing (a la Sonos …synchronized) door locks, Thermostat control, and other connected devices.  iBeacons could evolve so that I could configure triggers when I enter rooms or locations of my home. 

Wearable items just don't have that much latitude in the real world.   I don't wear my Nike Fuel Band anymore and my gf doesn't wear her Up.  They become too cumbersome and yet another device to manage. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #10 of 47

Apple should build a real babelfish device that doesn't need an internet connection, i.e. build it into iOS.

post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Home Automation. 

The industry has done absolutely nothing worthwhile IMO.   Too many standards  (Zigbee, Zwave, Insteon etc) and clearly not enough interoperability. 

If we really expect sensors to become a big thing then the glue is going to be software that ties these elements together in a way that your grandpappy could install. 

Airplay Services could encompass FaceTime like video tech for cams,  beefier Airplay routing (a la Sonos …synchronized) door locks, Thermostat control, and other connected devices.  iBeacons could evolve so that I could configure triggers when I enter rooms or locations of my home. 

Wearable items just don't have that much latitude in the real world.   I don't wear my Nike Fuel Band anymore and my gf doesn't wear her Up.  They become too cumbersome and yet another device to manage. 

This is the direction that I'm looking forward to. And not just basic home automation but, as I detailed in my post, conditional or "smart" automation. I'm hoping that the new 64 bit processor in the iPhone 5S (and the new iPad?) moves us closer to this. And having Siri and the cloud services "mature" would also be necessary.

post #12 of 47

The trouble is, Apple still is in the thrall of Samsung when it comes to making the stuff. Will the Apple TV, when it arrives, be made on a Samsung production line?????

Greatrix

post #13 of 47
Interesting post! Must have missed it three days ago, to much home repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Home Automation. 

Zigbee is more of an industrial solution from what I can see. Of course that doesn't matter as it can be repurposed just like WiFi was never initially thought of as a home solution.
Quote:
Possibly but what are the benefits for the average home owner? Before you can have a successful product you need to have a problem people want solved. This is the problem with the home automation industry, many people simply don't want an automated house what ever that means.
Quote:
You may like such but honestly what does most of those functions provide for the average user? Further will you be able to get people to buy into such devices in the large.
Quote:

Exactly! This is what often happens with home automation, it is nice to play with for a bit but after a month or two it is no more useful than more conventional approaches. So if you have a choice between a thirty dollar thermostat with set back capability and a $300 dollar smart thermostat which way do you go. This especially after a little self evaluation of your real desire to access that device from anywhere in the world.

Remember we live in a world where almost nobody had the clocks set right on their VCRs. You need a compelling reason for people invest in these automation products plus they need to have the willingness to fiddle with them. I just see home automation as a bigger uphill battle than you imagine, most people see their homes as a refuge from modern day problems and a place for relaxation.
post #14 of 47
Not a bad idea really. As it is Apples iPods have been used in war zones to establish communications with people speaking different languages. This isn't automatic translation of course but that is really out of the scope of today's devices.

In a couple of other threads I mentioned that Apple needs to move more of the Siri AI onto the devices proper. If they go this route, I see potential in a sort of babel fish functionality. I don't think it would be possible to do it via Apples servers and get the realtime results you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Apple should build a real babelfish device that doesn't need an internet connection, i.e. build it into iOS.

This would require that some of Siris functionality be handled locally on the device. I believe it is in Apples best interest to spread the AI between the device and Apples servers in the future so maybe this functionality would just be an extension to the local AI. The big problem here is CPU power and storage, I suspect a lot of flash would be needed for a real Babelfish device.
post #15 of 47
Quote:

The trouble is, Apple still is in the thrall of Samsung when it comes to making the stuff.
People make way to much out of Apples relationship with Samsung. There is little advantage for Apple to switch to low quality suppliers just because they are in competition with one of Samsungs divisions. It can be argued that Samsung is no longer the technology leader when it comes to the foundry business. If that is true, you will see Apple move to another supplier. It may be a partial move too as Apples chip demands continue to soar no one plant will be able to keep up.
Quote:
Will the Apple TV, when it arrives, be made on a Samsung production line?????
Greatrix
Who cares? Really I don't understand the angst here, Apple will likely go with the best manufacture they can find for the product at hand. Frankly I still have a hard time seeing the value in an Apple TV when they can do a set top box without all of the issues of doing the whole TV. In any event let's be honest here, pop open the back of any TV today and you will find hardware from many manufactures inside. It is the nature of the business, nobody makes 100% of what is inside the box anymore.
post #16 of 47
The trouble is, Apple still is in the thrall of Samsung when it comes to making the stuff. Will the Apple TV, when it arrives, be made on a Samsung production line?????

No, because Apple’s not wasting time on a television.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #17 of 47
Truly, and I know it may be a far way away, but what I want is the real iHome. Air conditioning, lighting, television, refrigeration, really anything in your home that can be programmed. I'm ready for an Apple Home. All I can say is, someday.
post #18 of 47

Apple needs to do tv, cars, and home automation.  

I know Apple has their Apple tv but they need to move from hobby stage to full blown cable replacement.  They need live tv for sports and news and they need to offer shows a la cart.  I could see 99 cent per hour show or something like that.  Maybe let us choose whether we want commercials or not.  That could lower the price  quite a bit.

Cars are a no brainer.  Cars need to make slots for iPads and iPhones.  You just insert your device and run the app for the vehicle.  You take the app when you get out of the car.  Car companies can then just create the i/o and the software and let Apple do the computer side of things.

For home automation, I had always been a skeptic until I was trying to make my new cabin more energy efficient.  In sizing generators, solar panels, and all the appliances, it hit me how important having smart appliances really would be.  It is really important that appliances talk with each other, know typical daily usage, typical temperature changes, etc and schedule which appliances get the electricity when.  If the appliances, hot water heater, air conditioning, generator, etc all talked, they could cut our electricity needs quite a bit. 

By smart appliances I do not mean $300 extra per device.  It should be more like $50 per device.  But this would save lot more money in the long run.  This is the killer app for smart appliances, not knowing when to order milk in the frig.  

I don't want is my frig compressor turning on when my hot water heater is working as my dryer is working as my toaster is working as my microwave is working as my AC kicks on as I turn on a light.  One needs a huge generator to handle that load.  However, if all the devices talk to each other, they could schedule when they kick on and off and balance the load.  This would not only help a local generator but also the whole electric grid.  They would have a lot less peak needs and a steadier demand which could lower their supply.

In addition to these three areas, I would love to see Apple get into security type systems - home, car, other significant gear.  Steal my car and I know where it is at.  Break into my home and I get instant notification and video.  Find my iPhone is already in that direction.

Also, I would love to see Apple do more software - Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver alternates.  I love Pixelmator.  Don't tell me Apple could not buy them out and make it a full-featured replacement.  Free me from Adobe and don't let them hold Apple hostage.

And bring back iWeb but make it a consumer level app and a pro level app.  Easy forums, web store, mercy account tie-ins for the pro level app.

I would also like to see Apple release an accounting program for businesses and make the source code available to programmers for customization.  Do this accounting app for low cost and they would have businesses leaving Microsoft in droves.

Apple also needs to move their OS to a full metadata based system and bring back OpenDoc.  They already have most of the pieces to do this.  In fact, it would surprise me if they aren't doing this already piece by piece.  It didn't work in the past but we have enough processors, RAM, and core libraries to do it now.

I also would like to see Apple get into DMW lighting, video switchers, and audio mixers. Final Cut X has the code to do the video work, Logic X has the code to do audio work, and DMX is even easier.  I would love to see Apple embrace the professional production world and step on the rest of Avid's toes.

Apple needs to expand iTunes U into a full blown education place that replaces most brick-and-mortar schooling.  They made the music stores and video rental places extinct, why not traditional schools?  The sooner we get government out of this area and let the market place/parents run things the better.

Apple has lots of room to grow, but only if they are willing to embrace these areas.  Some are consumer areas and some are pro areas.  Some are hardware, some are software.  But all touch on areas Apple is already involved in.  Apple needs to embrace their destiny and do what needs to be done.  If they don't, they form a barrier to others who see the potential is all these areas.

post #19 of 47
Originally Posted by visionary View Post

Apple needs to do tv, cars, and home automation.  

[rest of post]

Until I get a large enough power drill, you’re probably the living-up-to-est of the usernames here.

By smart appliances I do not mean $300 extra per device.  It should be more like $50 per device.

I mean $0 extra per device. I should be upstairs in my home, listening to music on my house’s speakers and the music should fade out and Siri tells me the oven’s preheated. I should then be informed when said baking is done. Same with (dish)washer/dryer. Same with the furnace filter. The HVAC system should also be at least as intelligent as the Nest. Combine that with your power ideas and we might have something big.

Free me from Adobe

And I don’t care how this sentence ends; it can only be agreeable.

The rest of your stuff, I dunno. Seems like Apple shouldn’t get into the accessories game. Years of printers, cameras, and assorted junk don’t make me feel very good about Apple trying to do something better than the guys already in the audio game, for example.

post #20 of 47

Here's the problem with audio.  

Apple does a great job with their digital audio workstation (DAW) Logic X.  They sell it for $200.  

Avid, which makes Pro Tools, Apple's big competitor in audio, sells their DAW for $700.

Apple is killing Avid and all the other competitors.  Avid is going bankrupt.  Other DAWs are being sold off.  They just can't compete with on price.

The problem is that Apple only does a DAW but their competitors do so much more.  The competitors have hardware surfaces and live consoles.  We musicians need these extras to do our work.   Avid does all these extras but is getting killed off by Apple.  But Apple does not step in and do all the things Avid is doing.  That is why I think Apple needs to expand into these areas.  Apple helps us, then hurts us.

Musicians and audio engineers are afraid the other audio products that we need are going to disappear also.  The companies that have DAWs are the leading innovators.  For example, I have a $25,000 console by a British company.  It really is a PC running Windows encased in a custom mixer with touch screen and audio interface.  The heart and soul of this machine is the DAW-like software underneath.  Apple could repurpose Logic into a live performance app like MainStage, just with more horsepower.  Make it robust and release a slim control surface and let me ditch the $25,000 glorified PC.

By the way, Avid also makes video editors and Final Cut is killing Avid mainly that way.  But the audio side is also a fight.  Apple needs to step in a do the pro thing all the way.  It may not sell millions but it still is profitable.  That hardware and software trickles down to the consumer.  This is the same reasons why car manufacturers do racing.  Apple needs to embrace their destiny.

Back to audio, Apple did have a partnership with Apogee and Euphonix.  But Avid saw this combo was going to devastate them and bought out Euphonix, the company making the slim controller/mixer.  Apple should have bought the company themselves first.  If you look how Avid is now repackaging this Euphonix controller, you can see what Apple should have done.  At the heart of this new Avid system is a PC running Avid's DAW software.  What I wish we had was something similar but with a Mac running Apple's DAW software.

What is really nice is how I could run the same plugins live as I do in the studio.  Heck, even the automation could be used.  Non-musicans might not follow all this but trust me, this is a big deal to musicians, producers, and audio engineers.  There is lots of innovation going on in this space right now and Apple could be eating it all up.  I wish they would.  They understand best how to integrate systems of systems.

post #21 of 47

Great to dream.

post #22 of 47

Solid lithography printer and a design store.

post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawkin View Post

Solid lithography printer and a design store.

I like this idea but the R&D will be higher to come up with unique processes and material. This would be especially interesting if Apple could get a decent commercial printer on the market in the $500-$1000 range. No tiny parts either, the expectation would be the ability to print page size parts at least six inches thick.
post #24 of 47
Quote:

Not a bad idea really. As it is Apples iPods have been used in war zones to establish communications with people speaking different languages. This isn't automatic translation of course but that is really out of the scope of today's devices.

In a couple of other threads I mentioned that Apple needs to move more of the Siri AI onto the devices proper. If they go this route, I see potential in a sort of babel fish functionality. I don't think it would be possible to do it via Apples servers and get the realtime results you want.
This would require that some of Siris functionality be handled locally on the device. I believe it is in Apples best interest to spread the AI between the device and Apples servers in the future so maybe this functionality would just be an extension to the local AI. The big problem here is CPU power and storage, I suspect a lot of flash would be needed for a real Babelfish device.

Good post. I think that Siri (or a more advanced and capable version of it) would be required to make much of what is being discussed in this thread happen. So, can anyone speculate as to why Siri has not yet come to the Mac OS and has been restricted to only iOS devices?

As I understand these types of services, it's important for them to be able to "learn" through increased interaction. And the more plentiful, complex and involved the interaction, the more the service can learn and improve over time. Since making my initial post here and on another board, it's come out that Apple has indeed made more investments and forays into predictive analytics research. Not being a programmer or computer scientist, I don't know what the speedbumps would be in bringing Siri to Mac OSX, so can anyone shine some light on that?

post #25 of 47
Quote:

That feature is already here. Google Translate has supposedly had a "conversation mode" for a couple of years (I had never used it) and a recent update has enabled it on Android smartphones. I'd expect Apple will bring it to their iDevices sooner rather than later, perhaps with the next iOS version. The hardware should already support it.
http://googletranslate.blogspot.jp/2013/11/have-easier-conversation-with-google.html
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #26 of 47

This has been a great thread. Lots of good ideas. The iPhone wasn't in prospect when Wozniak and Jobs conceived and developed the original Mac. Predicting the future is a difficult if not an impossible enterprise. One could say the iMac, Power Mac, iPhone, iPad. iPod are today. Tomorrow is another day. I like Google's entry into robotics. I like even more Steve Wozniak's suggestion of some sort of partnership/merger between Apple and Google. We would't want Apple to become another Blackberry, would we!

post #27 of 47

Siri is still pretty clunky, it still has a long way to go. It looks as though Google is working towards intelligent robotics. Siri must keep up! robotics is the next logical step for Apple.

post #28 of 47
Quote:

This has been a great thread. Lots of good ideas. The iPhone wasn't in prospect when Wozniak and Jobs conceived and developed the original Mac. Predicting the future is a difficult if not an impossible enterprise.
So true but that is what makes this thread both interesting and in a way hopeless. Look at it this way whatever Apple comes out with next year will have been in development for years now. That includes both hardware and software.

Many people on these forums have no idea what goes into the build of a new product or even a new feature in an existing product. One can not snap ones fingers and expect an instant solution. To do something ground breaking takes time and frankly will have developmental set backs. Even something as simple and mundane as the iMac has ran into set backs as new technologies are applied to the machine.

So when we guess about new products we have to assume development of those products started at least 3 years ago and likely even longer than that.
I just had one of those thoughts flash through my mind. imagine if Apple produces a projection TV as has been speculated. What is the first thing any self respecting hacker would do?

Mount the projector into a an R2D2 robot of course. Yes I said it first.

In any event I honestly see robotics as the way forward for Apple. I see robotics as having more potential than wearable computing but I also see a huge mountain of development and invention to overcome first. So wearable computing is probably a good short term expansion even if I don't see massive rapid adoption.
Quote:

One could say the iMac, Power Mac, iPhone, iPad. iPod are today. Tomorrow is another day. I like Google's entry into robotics. I like even more Steve Wozniak's suggestion of some sort of partnership/merger between Apple and Google.
Wozniaks is whacked in this regard. Apple needs strong competition to be at its best. That use to be MircroSoft but MicroSoft is like grit dying on the vine after a frost. They smell of rot and decay.
Quote:

We would't want Apple to become another Blackberry, would we!

Nope! Frankly it could happen to them as fast as it happened to BlackBerry. However buying Google would be more troublesome than helpful. As for pissing away huge sums of money, like a purchase of Google would be, they would be better off buying the major Cell Phone service providers in every market they reach. Doing so would allow then to aggressively attack the cost of LTE and other serves greatly expanding demand for their product. Drop the cost of services and one objection may have with respect to smart phones goes away.

As an technician one thing I'd love to see Apple do is to get into instrumentation. With iOS they could really innovate in the instrumentation market and give the likes of Fluke and Agilent a run for their money. The big problem is that the instrumentation market is well a little conservative. it isn't a huge market and the equipment life span is far different than most Apple hardware. With Apples know how though I could see a multimeter that truly lives up to the "multi" portion of that descriptive word. Honestly though the market is peanuts compared to what Apple does volume wise and simply won't grow like other industries Apple has entered.

One thing that Apple should contemplate is nuclear energy research. No I'm not kidding here. There is much happening in this world that could use the finical backing of a big corporation like Apple. Reactors based on Thorium are one example as are things like focused fusion machines. We are at the stage where in the years time an entirely new nuclear energy industry could emerge, one that is far safer than todays systems. Sure it is a big gamble in some respects but lets face it so was the IPhone. There are so many avenues being pursued here that the big problem is picking what to back.
post #29 of 47
Quote:

Siri is still pretty clunky, it still has a long way to go. It looks as though Google is working towards intelligent robotics. Siri must keep up! robotics is the next logical step for Apple.

Lets narrow that down a bit and say AI is the next step forward. AI that is built right not Apples devices and continues to evolve over time. Once you have credible AI much can fall into place afterward. Robotics is just one thing that AI enables. After all dumb robots have been working in industry for years, what is needed is the intelligence to set them free. Well that and a lot of research into mechanical and electrical systems.

You look at the common R2D2 robot image and you realize that what is missing today is really the AI to make such a robot viable. Mechanically and electrically R2D2 isn't an impossibility today. The level of interaction he had with humans and the environment though is impossible at the moment. This is why I see AI as an important stepping stone to useful robotics.
post #30 of 47

"Good post. I think that Siri (or a more advanced and capable version of it) would be required to make much of what is being discussed in this thread happen. So, can anyone speculate as to why Siri has not yet come to the Mac OS and has been restricted to only iOS devices?"

Because Siri will make its debut in an update on Mac OS via the new Apple TV device. :-)

Okay, so I hope anyway.

post #31 of 47

Can't help but wonder too that once the h.265 spec is ironed out, if then we will see the Apple TV device sing.

post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

"Good post. I think that Siri (or a more advanced and capable version of it) would be required to make much of what is being discussed in this thread happen. So, can anyone speculate as to why Siri has not yet come to the Mac OS and has been restricted to only iOS devices?"
Really good question to which I do not have an answer. Well not a good answer. In my view Siri currently has one ver serious limitation, that is the required trip to Apples servers which makes it useless for free standing systems. Frankly it severely impacts the use of Siri today on your cell phone.

I strongly believe that for AI to work well it really has to become either part of the operating system or actually replace the operating system. Right now it looks like replacing the OS is way off in the future. So in this regard I really think that Siri should come to e Mac as an OS service.
Quote:
Because Siri will make its debut in an update on Mac OS via the new Apple TV device. :-)

Okay, so I hope anyway.

The Apple TV device is a IOS based machine if they follow today's practice.
post #33 of 47

I am first and foremost a Mac person - so I couldn't care less about these other devices associated with the fabled "Internet of things".

Smart TV? Too big to replace every two years and already dealt with by the ATV;

Watch? Buy a Swiss one and be done with it;

Home automation? SJ is dead, so the level of innovation we would REALLY need is not going to be there anymore...just to flick switches, put iPads on fridge doors etc..? Irrelevant.

The only "new" direction Apple should or could explore? Actually something that I had predicted after SJ's passing: the return of the mythical Mac midrange tower. Just give me a revamped Quadra 840av-like machine and I will be happy.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #34 of 47

Mac people are never satisfied what they own. They always strive for better and better  all the time.

post #35 of 47

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/ge-and-quirky-unveil-interesting-new-gadgets.html/?a=viewall

In April, General Electric (NYSE:GE) opened its patent vault to Quirky — a crowd-sourcing company headquartered in New York City that brings products to the marketplace via the interaction between the global community and Quirky’s product design staff. Now, the first four products created under the partnership between GE and Quirky have been unveiled under the joint Wink brand.

“For years patents have become widely misunderstood and misused,” Quirky founder and CEO Ben Kaufman said. “We are going to return patents to their original purpose to act as a blueprint for technological and societal progress while protecting inventors and becoming a source of inspiration for future creators.”

The first four Wink products focus on connecting consumer goods in what GE calls the “Industrial Internet.” As Kaufman explains: “Our future will be driven by access to things via our smartphones there is a ton of invention to be done in this area and no one owns this category.”

Once you look at the results of GE and Quirky’s work, you might be inclined to agree. Featuring a variety of everyday devices that interact with a user’s a smartphone and other devices, you can see why GE and Quirky believe that smartphone technology is ready to invade the home in a big way — although the prices will likely keep adoption slow in the early goings.

Check out some of the new gadgets after the jump.

post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I am first and foremost a Mac person - so I couldn't care less about these other devices associated with the fabled "Internet of things".
The Internet of things is certainly overblown. This coming from a guy that like to work on embedded things.
Quote:
Smart TV? Too big to replace every two years and already dealt with by the ATV;

Watch? Buy a Swiss one and be done with it;
Really who wears a watch these days? I just don't see this as a mass appeal device. The iPhone is useful to the entire population not just the nerds. For the most part I've never worn a watch, there is really no good reason to do so today.
Quote:
Home automation? SJ is dead, so the level of innovation we would REALLY need is not going to be there anymore...just to flick switches, put iPads on fridge doors etc..? Irrelevant.
The part about Steve Jobs is baloney. If you read the history of the company you will realize that in many cases engineers had to work around Steve's melding to deliver products people would buy. Apple will remain Ok as long as the engineers are free to deliver the hardware they would want to use themselves.

As to home automation you are right. I bought an automatic setback thermostat decades ago, that is plenty of automation for most homes.
Quote:
The only "new" direction Apple should or could explore? Actually something that I had predicted after SJ's passing: the return of the mythical Mac midrange tower. Just give me a revamped Quadra 840av-like machine and I will be happy.

You an me both. Apples line up just sucks. People take that to mean that I hate the Mini and the Mac Pro. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is just that neither really fits my needs right now. A Mini like machine could come close if it ever gets updated but it is and always will be a limited machine compared to what one can get in a desktop machine.

Mind you I'm agreeing with you even though I know desktop sales are in the toilet.
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Really who wears a watch these days? I just don't see this as a mass appeal device. The iPhone is useful to the entire population not just the nerds. For the most part I've never worn a watch, there is really no good reason to do so today.

Yet I can attest to being around a group of people who all had phones in their pockets and seeing my watch on my wrist asked me what time it was.

I find just twisting my wrist to see the time far easier than taking a phone out.

post #38 of 47

Originally posted by wizard69:

The Internet of things is certainly overblown. This coming from a guy that like to work on embedded things.

Most people still wear watches - but they don't need nor want them to beep whenever there is a stupid incoming email. Besides, the market for watches is extremely conservative when it comes to the traditional reputation of certain makers - Apple could easily compete with the likes of Swatch, Casio and others - but not with RADO, Patek, Rolex etc. Therefore, it would be extremely unwise of Apple to release something like that, particularly when the vision and perfectionism of SJ are no longer there.

The part about Steve Jobs is baloney. If you read the history of the company you will realize that in many cases engineers had to work around Steve's melding to deliver products people would buy. Apple will remain Ok as long as the engineers are free to deliver the hardware they would want to use themselves.

I beg to disagree - engineers ONLY had the leeway to change things once SJ was proven wrong in his "driven by design" pushes (the later releases of the Apple /// were a prime example) - otherwise, you'd have seen a lot more Woz-driven devices at Apple than ever released by the company. SJ's vision to create new demand out of nowhere was truly unique, and this is more than gone now apart from iterative releases based on his ideas.

As to home automation you are right. I bought an automatic setback thermostat decades ago, that is plenty of automation for most homes.

Yes, absolutely - not to mention that the requirements to "revamp" one's home to accommodate for such systems are much more complex than most people think - most countries are NOT fit for that, and the benefits would be marginal to say the least.

You an me both. Apples line up just sucks. People take that to mean that I hate the Mini and the Mac Pro. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is just that neither really fits my needs right now. A Mini like machine could come close if it ever gets updated but it is and always will be a limited machine compared to what one can get in a desktop machine. Mind you I'm agreeing with you even though I know desktop sales are in the toilet.
Indeed. Even though I do remember the dark times at Apple when four different models were released for the same machine (something that SJ was wise to stop), it is clear that, ESPECIALLY since desktop sales are no longer Apple's main cash cow, the company COULD release a high-quality desktop with a reasonable level of expandability so that I do not have to buy a new iMac every time I need a new computer. Just give me a top-notch display like my 2011 iMac's and let me upgrade the innards every two years or so. 
A little more bottom line for Apple and many more happy campers out there, without any sacrifice to the company's streamlined production lines; after all, we would just have three clear desktop lines: entry-mid without display (since the mini would be gone), the iMac and the MP.

Edited by brlawyer - 1/2/14 at 9:52am
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Yet I can attest to being around a group of people who all had phones in their pockets and seeing my watch on my wrist asked me what time it was.

I find just twisting my wrist to see the time far easier than taking a phone out.

They didn't ask the glasshole at the next table?

post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

They didn't ask the glasshole at the next table?

We were all outside.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What new directions should Apple explore?