or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Instant Video for iOS adds support for Apple's AirPlay [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon Instant Video for iOS adds support for Apple's AirPlay [u]

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Amazon on Tuesday updated its Instant Video application for Apple's iOS with a number of new features, most notably supporting the AirPlay standard for wireless streaming to an Apple TV set-top box [updated].

Instant


The official Amazon Instant Video app allows customers who buy video content from the online retailer to view movies and television episodes. It also enables Amazon customers access more than 150,000 videos available for rent or purchase.

In addition, more than 40,000 titles are available to Amazon Prime subscribers at no additional cost.

Version 2.1 of Amazon Instant Video adds the ability AirPlay stream content to Apple TV. Other features included in the update are:
  • IMDB cast and director information, ratings, goofs, trivia and quotes
  • Read customer reviews
  • Find other videos featuring cast or director
  • Customers who watched this also watched?
  • Concurrent downloads
  • Improved offline experience
  • Faster and more responsive interface
  • Bug fixes and stability improvements

With Amazon Instant Video, purchased or rented videos can be downloaded for offline viewing. Content is also synced through Amazon's Whispersync feature, allowing users to pick up where they left off on another device.

Amazon Instant Video first debuted on Apple's iPad in August of 2012, when Prime subscribers had access to just 20,000 titles ? half of what is available today. Support for the iPhone and iPod touch eventually came last December.
post #2 of 29
Nice work-around as Apple simply won't give us an Amazon ATV app. 1oyvey.gif
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Nice work-around as Apple simply won't give us an Amazon ATV app. 1oyvey.gif

 

 

What makes you so positive that this is an Apple decision?

post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Nice work-around as Apple simply won't give us an Amazon ATV app. 1oyvey.gif

HBO Made the same change a couple of months before their Apple TV App came out.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by enquiry View Post
 

 

 

What makes you so positive that this is an Apple decision?

 

Why would Amazon say no? They already have iPhone and iPad apps. Being on Apple TV would be a boon for Amazon, not a hindrance. 

post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Why would Amazon say no? They already have iPhone and iPad apps. Being on Apple TV would be a boon for Amazon, not a hindrance. 

He's ignoring the obvious. Don't feed. Mustn't.

And not for nothing Amazon is on virtually every other home theater device beit Blu-ray player or gaming device, A/V receiver, etc.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

HBO Made the same change a couple of months before their Apple TV App came out.

HBO doesn't directly compete with Apple and you need a existing cable contract for it to work in the first place.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

HBO Made the same change a couple of months before their Apple TV App came out.

HBO doesn't directly compete with Apple and you need a existing cable contract for it to work in the first place.

There has always been a Netflix App on Apple TV. That logic makes no sense.
post #9 of 29
Still no support for mirroring. It must just allow purchased movies.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Nice work-around as Apple simply won't give us an Amazon ATV app. 1oyvey.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquiry View Post
 

 

 

What makes you so positive that this is an Apple decision?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


HBO Made the same change a couple of months before their Apple TV App came out.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post


HBO doesn't directly compete with Apple and you need a existing cable contract for it to work in the first place.

 

True that HBO doesn't directly compete, but Hulu Plus did the same thing, started by adding AirPlay and then a few months later were on the Apple TV. Same for Vimeo.

 
I can understand that Amazon is a bit of a different beast. Netflix/Hulu Plus/HBO Go are all-you-can-stream services for one monthly fee. Amazon Instant has that a la carte aspect, which would be odd seeing be made available on the Apple TV. Perhaps no option to rent/purchase from the Apple TV app, adding an extra hoop to jump through (same as the iOS apps). But anything in your library, or anything available for Prime, would play.
 
In any event, if implemented properly (allowing multitasking when streaming) - AirPlay is a very serviceable option. If done poorly (need to keep the app open in order to keep content streaming) - then it is a less than ideal solution.
 
Anyone try it yet?
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


There has always been a Netflix App on Apple TV. That logic makes no sense.

 

Does Netflix or Hulu have an App Store, sell hardware(Kindle Fire), sell movies, music etc, etc, etc????

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Does Netflix or Hulu have an App Store, sell hardware(Kindle Fire), sell movies, music etc, etc, etc????

The Roku is actually a Netflix made device.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The Roku is actually a Netflix made device.

 

Interesting but you wouldn't know it buy going to Roku.com. I see it was the first device made to stream Netflix but not Netflix made. Nowhere is it mentioned. Beside the Roku runs Amazon Instant video.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
 

 

Why would Amazon say no? They already have iPhone and iPad apps. Being on Apple TV would be a boon for Amazon, not a hindrance. 

 

Why didn't Amazon put AirPlay support into the iOS app from the get-go? If Apple "allowed" the iOS app, why wouldn't they allow the AppleTV app?

 
I have no idea how the development of AppleTV apps work (i.e., how one creates and submits these to Apple for inclusion). Is this published anywhere? Seems a giant mystery (but obviously those who have developed these apps must know).
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayPlayer View Post

Still no support for mirroring. It must just allow purchased movies.

 



What are you talking about? I have been mirroring Amazon Prime for a long time. It is how I watch Under the Dome on my Apple TV. Mirroring doesn't require permission, it simply mirrors whatever is on your screen.
post #16 of 29
Finally! And a much better deal than Netflix!

Look forward to an app- but this works for now. Show time and bbc- you're the last holdout!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayPlayer View Post

Still no support for mirroring. It must just allow purchased movies.

 



What are you talking about? I have been mirroring Amazon Prime for a long time. It is how I watch Under the Dome on my Apple TV. Mirroring doesn't require permission, it simply mirrors whatever is on your screen.

 

Are you referring to the iOS app or AirPlay mirroring from your Mac? I believe he/she was referring to the former.

post #18 of 29
I get "Watching videos while mirroring isn't currently available with this app" before HBO was added as a app that's the same response I got with it.
post #19 of 29
I'm rendering to the iOS app on iPad. I have a older MacBook Pro. It was not updatable for the airplay feature.
post #20 of 29

Kind of to late for me.  I bought a Roku because the Apple TV did not offer Amazon Instant Video and I could not use Air Play from my iPad.

 

I like the Remote/UI on the Roku so much that I will not go back to the ATV.

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
 

 

Why would Amazon say no? They already have iPhone and iPad apps. Being on Apple TV would be a boon for Amazon, not a hindrance. 

 

There could be other issues at play/ For instance, perhaps it is a licensing issue. Perhaps Apple charges a fee, and Amazon does not want to pay. 

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Finally! And a much better deal than Netflix!

Look forward to an app- but this works for now. Show time and bbc- you're the last holdout!

 

I am glad you are happy, but I am not sure why it is a "much" better deal then Netflix. Netflix certainly has much more content, and is available on a greater selection of devices. Further, Netflix's apps work better because they look at your internet speed and regulate the stream accordingly. 

post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Interesting but you wouldn't know it buy going to Roku.com. I see it was the first device made to stream Netflix but not Netflix made. Nowhere is it mentioned. Beside the Roku runs Amazon Instant video.

Early in the development stages the CEO decided to give it it's own name and make a subsidy company so it wouldn't be viewed solely as a Netflix streamer.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

True that HBO doesn't directly compete, but Hulu Plus did the same thing, started by adding AirPlay and then a few months later were on the Apple TV. Same for Vimeo.

 
I can understand that Amazon is a bit of a different beast. Netflix/Hulu Plus/HBO Go are all-you-can-stream services for one monthly fee. Amazon Instant has that a la carte aspect, which would be odd seeing be made available on the Apple TV. Perhaps no option to rent/purchase from the Apple TV app, adding an extra hoop to jump through (same as the iOS apps). But anything in your library, or anything available for Prime, would play.
 
In any event, if implemented properly (allowing multitasking when streaming) - AirPlay is a very serviceable option. If done poorly (need to keep the app open in order to keep content streaming) - then it is a less than ideal solution.
 
Anyone try it yet?

 

I don't see what Apple wouldn't allow Amazon to have a dedicated app of ATV. This is no different then putting the Kindle bookstore on any other iOS device.  The path of least resistance anyway is renting/purchasing via iTunes. Can do that right on ATV. For Amazon you will have to buy through another computer etc unless in-app purchasing comes to ATV and Amazon is willing to give up 30%. Right now I have Amazon via my Panny TV, via vieracast. I will only watch the free prime stuff via Amazon since the pic quality sucks compared to ATV/iTunes. However, that could be due in part to how the TV handles the built in streaming video. Would love to see how pic quality compares direct on the ATV, since its then apples to apples. 

post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by imt1 View Post

I don't see what Apple wouldn't allow Amazon to have a dedicated app of ATV. This is no different then putting the Kindle bookstore on any other iOS device.  The path of least resistance anyway is renting/purchasing via iTunes. Can do that right on ATV. For Amazon you will have to buy through another computer etc unless in-app purchasing comes to ATV and Amazon is willing to give up 30%. Right now I have Amazon via my Panny TV, via vieracast. I will only watch the free prime stuff via Amazon since the pic quality sucks compared to ATV/iTunes. However, that could be due in part to how the TV handles the built in streaming video. Would love to see how pic quality compares direct on the ATV, since its then apples to apples. 

I believe it's Amazon and not the Panasonic TV. I also have a Panasonic TV and noticed that the movies I've rented on VUDU have a superior picture quality than that of Amazon.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
 

 

I am glad you are happy, but I am not sure why it is a "much" better deal then Netflix. Netflix certainly has much more content, and is available on a greater selection of devices. Further, Netflix's apps work better because they look at your internet speed and regulate the stream accordingly. 

Netflix Does have a larger library- but Amazon's is huge as well.  CBS, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, Epix, etc. are only on Amazon.  Disney & Dreamworks on Netflix.  I also like Orange is the New Black- phenomenal show on Netflix.

 

But Amazon also looks at your internet speed and regulates the stream and quality accordingly.

It is a much better deal because it is 17% less money, and also gives free 2-day shipping.  Example- I just bought a wicker storage box for outside.  Costco carries it for $99 (cheapest place retail)- Amazon- it was $92- with free 2 day shipping to my door and I bought it from my couch.  I also bought an Airport Express for $84 (amazon warehouse- like new)- and didn't have to start my car.  I'd be more pressed to hear why it isn't a much better deal.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I believe it's Amazon and not the Panasonic TV. I also have a Panasonic TV and noticed that the movies I've rented on VUDU have a superior picture quality than that of Amazon.

Vudu HD is better quality in almost all review sites universally than Amazon or iTunes 1080p.  While Vudu is better than iTunes, it is only marginally better- while Amazon is a distant last.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #27 of 29
Really????

"AirPlay is not supported at this time by the Amazon Instant Video app for iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch."
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Why would Amazon say no? They already have iPhone and iPad apps. Being on Apple TV would be a boon for Amazon, not a hindrance. 

Why would Apple say no? They already approved iPhone and iPad apps from Amazon. Being on Apple TV would be a boon for Apple, not a hindrance.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayPlayer View Post

Still no support for mirroring. It must just allow purchased movies.

 

Huh?  What we have now is BETTER than mirroring.  No menu bar up top.  Fills the TV screen better.

 

 (I know this because I did mirror the Amazon app previously, via the jailbreak tweak UnrestrictPremium.  Now I don't need to rely on that anymore.)

 
And no, it doesn't "just allow purchased movies."  I am streaming Zoolander right now from the Instant Prime Library, which is included along with my Amazon Prime membership, and AirPlaying it to my AppleTV.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon Instant Video for iOS adds support for Apple's AirPlay [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Instant Video for iOS adds support for Apple's AirPlay [u]