or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New iPhone 5s camera with slow-mo 120fps video demonstrated at Burberry fashion show
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New iPhone 5s camera with slow-mo 120fps video demonstrated at Burberry fashion show

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
A pre-release iPhone 5s was used to shoot Burberry's latest runway show, showcasing some of the features of the new iSight camera such as its larger aperture and 120-frames-per-second slow-motion video capabilities.



The full show of the Burberry Prorsum Womenswear S/S14 show appeared on Burberry's YouTube page on Tuesday. Apple announced the collaboration last week, noting that behind-the-scenes footage, product details, and preparation footage would accompany shots of the London runway show.

"This collaboration celebrates our relationship and shared foundation in design and craftsmanship. We have a mutual passion for creating beautiful products and unlocking emotive experiences through technology, which has made it intensely exciting to explore the capabilities of iPhone 5s,? said Burberry CEP Christopher Bailey. ?We?re inspired by what this could mean for the future as we continue to explore the merging of physical and digital experiences.?



Apple has long touted the imaging capabilities of its bestselling smartphone line, noting that it is the most popular camera in the world. That tradition continues with the Burberry shoot, which is meant to show off the HD recording capabilities and image quality of the reworked iPhone 5s camera.

The iPhone 5s features the same 8-megapixel resolution of its predecessor, but Apple has given the device a slightly larger sensor in order to improve imaging in low-light conditions. It also has a reworked five-element lens wit ha larger f/2.2 aperture. Apple also swapped out the single flash featured on the iPhone 5 for a dual LED flash unit called "True Tone," which should help keep flash-aided images from looking washed out.

On the video end, the iPhone 5s also has a 120-frames-per-second slow-motion video mode and precision autofocus matrix metering.

The Burberry collaboration is Apple's most recent meeting with the world of fashion. The iPhone maker recently hired Paul Deneve from French fashion house Yves Saint Laurent. Deneve will be working on "special projects" ? presumed by some to be a kind of wearable technology ? and reporting directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook.
post #2 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A pre-release iPhone 5s was used to shoot Burberry's latest runway show, showcasing some of the features of the new iSight camera such as its larger aperture and 120-frames-per-second slow-motion video capabilities.



The full show of the Burberry Prorsum Womenswear S/S14 show appeared on Burberry's YouTube page on Tuesday. Apple announced the collaboration last week, noting that behind-the-scenes footage, product details, and preparation footage would accompany shots of the London runway show.


I sure hope like hell this photo wasn't taken on the new iPhone... it's so blurred, there no features in the face of the model.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #3 of 39
I can hardly wait to get this. Come on Friday, 3:01 am! ;-)
post #4 of 39
5S camera looks awesome. 1smile.gif

phpmqp0co.jpg

php8kqv8u.jpg
post #5 of 39
Funny how the gossip news corporation huffingtonPost ignored this and post a fake news about the iPhone 5C.
post #6 of 39
Who taught these fembots how to walk? Clunkers all.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #7 of 39
"They forgive anything but greatness."

1wink.gif

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

Reply

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

Reply
post #8 of 39

Anybody know what song it is - the very first one?

post #9 of 39

This is a perfect example of why those whiners and iHaters that criticize the "low" megapixels of the iPhone should keep their traps shut.

I'll gladly take a bigger sensor and better lens/aperture than more megapixels any day.  Massive megapixels are good for one thing for most people, and that is taking up disk space.

The 5S camera looks great!

post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This is a perfect example of why those whiners and iHaters that criticize the "low" megapixels of the iPhone should keep their traps shut.



I'll gladly take a bigger sensor and better lens/aperture than more megapixels any day.  Massive megapixels are good for one thing for most people, and that is taking up disk space.



The 5S camera looks great!


 



They repeat what some tech journalists say.
People still give more credit to those same journalists who get things wrong almost all the time, than Apple, which has more to lose in lying.

Not their fault.
post #11 of 39
Just watched the first few minutes of the video in 720p...ehh not so great - blotchy colour with very limited colour gamut and the models skin tones look way too orange. And just look at those burnt out clouds and unnatural electric blue sky tone. Well it is a tiny phone sensor after all, I suppose its ok for what it is. Definitely sticking with my DSLR!
post #12 of 39

 

 

post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post
 

Anybody know what song it is - the very first one?

There's an App for that

 

Shazam

 

In the App Store

post #14 of 39

I didn't see any slo-mo.

post #15 of 39

In related news, and not to be outdone by Burberry and Apple, the annual Salvation Army used clothes fashion show was shot entirely using Android phones.

 

One audience member, Mark Smith, a homeless bum who is partially blind, commented that "the quality of the camera in this Android phone is spectacular. I see an Android phone in my future."

post #16 of 39

Seems to me Apple is slowly inching its way into deeper engagement with the high/prestige fashion market in preparation for their entry into wearable tech.  First they hired Paul Deneve ex-YSL CEO, now this.

 

This is a wise thing for Apple because the one place they can go where Google, Microsoft, Samsung, etc. cannot follow is high fashion.  Only the Apple brand among all the tech companies has the cachet to do this.  Just think of how lame it was for Ferrari to let Acer slap the prancing horse on their PC.

 

Samsung is already trying to do this by tying up with some designer during NY fashion week.  It's one thing to have the big bucks to insinuate yourself into a designer's new line, it's another to get fashion forward customers to accept your brand.  Case in point LG Prada.


Edited by tundraboy - 9/17/13 at 11:41am
post #17 of 39

Pretty cool! Understated fashion. Models looked great...I wonder what effect it would have on the crowd if they were at least smiling?

 

Music was good, liked the hemlines and the cut of the coats.

 

Well done production.

post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I didn't see any slo-mo.

Me neither.
My brain felt slo-mo though after watching something so mindless.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

Pretty cool! Understated fashion. Models looked great...I wonder what effect it would have on the crowd if they were at least smiling?

 

Music was good, liked the hemlines and the cut of the coats.

 

Well done production.

 

Except for Victoria's Secret, models do not smile or emote on the runway (with an extremely small number of exceptions).  It's like Rule #1.  OK, Rule #2.  Rule #1 is, "Walk down the center, back on the left."

 
That's just the way the fashion world operates.
 
Also, the crowd at a show like Burberry is not going to be whooping it up anyways.  It's low key.  
post #20 of 39
The quality is much, much better when viewed directly at YouTube. The compression effects of the video post here are obviously horrendous and by no means do the 5S camera justice.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Except for Victoria's Secret, models do not smile or emote on the runway (with an extremely small number of exceptions).  It's like Rule #1.  OK, Rule #2.  Rule #1 is, "Walk down the center, back on the left."
 
That's just the way the fashion world operates.
 
Also, the crowd at a show like Burberry is not going to be whooping it up anyways.  It's low key.  

Do they have to slouch and walk like linebackers? Is that a requirement too?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

Except for Victoria's Secret, models do not smile or emote on the runway (with an extremely small number of exceptions).  It's like Rule #1.  OK, Rule #2.  Rule #1 is, "Walk down the center, back on the left."

 
That's just the way the fashion world operates.
 
Also, the crowd at a show like Burberry is not going to be whooping it up anyways.  It's low key.  

 

Yep, I know that. :) Didn't mean to imply it should be like a Surface commercial. Just not such dour expressions. I know the fashion industry lately prefers the models to look like heroin addicts but at least they could be happy heroin addicts! (If there is such a thing!)

 
Best
post #23 of 39
Christ.

They should trot out a starving African child at the end just to show them where all that money spent on clothes could have gone.

My opinion only.

I recognise a person's right to spend money as they wish.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Reply
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post


Do they have to slouch and walk like linebackers? Is that a requirement too?

 

Most of these models had very typical runway walks.  There's not a lot of variation, with the exceptions of people like Gisele (who is mostly retired from the runway these days) and Karlie Kloss.  Karlie's walk is the most distinctive by far, and one of the reasons she is the top (non-VS) model working these days.

 

But by the sounds of it, you'd hate her walk even more than these typical examples. :)  You can Google for her if you want.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

 

Yep, I know that. :) Didn't mean to imply it should be like a Surface commercial. Just not such dour expressions. I know the fashion industry lately prefers the models to look like heroin addicts but at least they could be happy heroin addicts! (If there is such a thing!)

 
Best

 

Heh. :)

 

Yeah, the dour expression is part of it.  The model shouldn't be the focus, the clothes should be.  Also, the heroin chic thing went out a number of years ago.  Even Kate Moss, who is primarily responsible for bringing it about, doesn't look like that anymore.  OTOH, most models are obviously thin -- just not as thin as they used to be, and the makeup isn't as extreme as it used to be.

 

That being said, Karlie Kloss, whom I mentioned above, is 6'1" and approximately 115-120 lbs.  So ... :)

 

EDIT:  Also, Cara Delevingne, who was in this show, has a distinctive walk, in that she sashays side to side a lot.


Edited by AaronJ - 9/17/13 at 12:05pm
post #25 of 39
So... there's supposed to be slow-motion in this video?
post #26 of 39
I thought heroin chic was a 90s thing?
post #27 of 39
Nice radio-controlled track mounted camera rig in the background!

I'd rather see what the footage looks like at 1080p. 720p was honestly not very sharp, but that might simply be due to YouTube's file compression? Hard to tell.

Are we to assume the videographers all used the standard Apple Camera app?

Also, the stills look good.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Christ.

They should trot out a starving African child at the end just to show them where all that money spent on clothes could have gone.

My opinion only.

I recognise a person's right to spend money as they wish.

 

Burberry can be expensive, yes.  It's not extreme haute couture, or anything like that.  But sure, a woman can spend $13,000 on a trench coat, or $1,000 on a cashmere skirt, etc.

 
But that's fashion.  You can say the same about pretty much anything, from automobiles to home theater systems to golf clubs.
 
I'm sure the amount I spent on my new iMac last winter could have fed a lot of people, too.
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought heroin chic was a 90s thing?

 

It was.  It's over.  Has been for years, now.

post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Christ.

They should trot out a starving African child at the end just to show them where all that money spent on clothes could have gone.

My opinion only.

I recognise a person's right to spend money as they wish.

 

What phone do you use again?  Does your username mean Give To Rwanda?

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post
 

Anybody know what song it is - the very first one?

Music credits at the end of the video

post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapenino View Post

So... there's supposed to be slow-motion in this video?

 

I did not see any. I was getting a few dropped frames towards the end, though. Probably YouTube's fault.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post
 

There's an App for that

 

Shazam

 

In the App Store

 

Shazam says, "Benjamin Twine/ George Ezra."

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

Most of these models had very typical runway walks.  There's not a lot of variation, with the exceptions of people like Gisele (who is mostly retired from the runway these days) and Karlie Kloss.  Karlie's walk is the most distinctive by far, and one of the reasons she is the top (non-VS) model working these days.

 

But by the sounds of it, you'd hate her walk even more than these typical examples. :)  You can Google for her if you want.

 

 

Heh. :)

 

Yeah, the dour expression is part of it.  The model shouldn't be the focus, the clothes should be.  Also, the heroin chic thing went out a number of years ago.  Even Kate Moss, who is primarily responsible for bringing it about, doesn't look like that anymore.  OTOH, most models are obviously thin -- just not as thin as they used to be, and the makeup isn't as extreme as it used to be.

 

That being said, Karlie Kloss, whom I mentioned above, is 6'1" and approximately 115-120 lbs.  So ... :)

 

EDIT:  Also, Cara Delevingne, who was in this show, has a distinctive walk, in that she sashays side to side a lot.

 

Bad posture more than bad walk. Models used to know how to stand upright and carry themselves.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I didn't see any slo-mo.

The video could have been over in 3 minutes but took 5x longer. Skip through to the underwear part around 2:30, watch that until about 5:00 and then jump through most of the rest and that's normal speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY 
The quality is much, much better when viewed directly at YouTube. The compression effects of the video post here are obviously horrendous and by no means do the 5S camera justice.

You can change the quality to 720p with the cog on the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR 
They should trot out a starving African child at the end just to show them where all that money spent on clothes could have gone.

Yeah, but they could put them in a lot of places, even in front of the Apple Stores. Giving money away now and again isn't the solution to the problem, everyone should have an acceptable minimum standard of living by design. Enjoying nice things is fine, it just shouldn't be restricted to a select few.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I recognise a person's right to spend money as they wish.

 

At least you said this much.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I didn't see any slo-mo.

Take another look at the models... They were all sprinting. THIS is as slow-mo as they get.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Christ.

They should trot out a starving African child at the end just to show them where all that money spent on clothes could have gone.

Those starving Africans need some American Tourister luggage so they can move out of the frickin desert to somewhere there is food and water.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #39 of 39
From 26 seconds in to around 29 seconds, it looks like one of the audience has a superimposed face. He is next to the black guy with the NY hat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New iPhone 5s camera with slow-mo 120fps video demonstrated at Burberry fashion show
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New iPhone 5s camera with slow-mo 120fps video demonstrated at Burberry fashion show