or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US carriers signal launch iPhone 5s inventory will be 'grotesquely' low

US carriers signal launch iPhone 5s inventory will be 'grotesquely' low - Page 2

post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

How can you use grotesquely" low inventory and "less.. than expected demand" in the same story?

I am pleasantly annoyed at this.

Actually, this is a case where Apple's PR department should address this issue. Responding to false rumors would be a prudent move and there's nothing unsavory about squashing FUD.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

If I had to guess, this is probably accurate. That fingerprint scanner is probably causing the delays and these phones will be very hard to come by.

lol, that would mean Peter Misek at jefferies was right all along :-)
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Nice. Let's chop off another $50 from the stock. As if initial supply means ****-all in the grand scheme of things, and the potential total sales. It doesn't. But in this day and age, everyone is an entitled, whiny, spoiled, perspective-lacking child that will rage if they can't get their new shiny on the first possible day.

Look at this way, they're probably producing the same amount of iPhones, but there's more carriers this time around so the same amount of iPhones to more carriers means each one gets a smaller amount.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #44 of 86

Maybe I'm just thick, but other than 'marketing' and fodder for news trolls, what difference does it make if Apple can't supply first day orders without exception?  Give it a week or maybe even a month, and everyone who wants the latest iPhone will likely be satisfied.  Is anyone really going to buy an Android because they couldn't get a launch day iPhone?  Why is being 'out of stock' seen as a failure?  Can anyone explain this line of thinking to me?  

When my daughter was trying to get an iPhone 5 last launch, she seemed to revel in the adventure of trying to work the system to get her phone.  Never once did she say, "That it's bull, I'm getting an Android instead!"

I personally know of a couple of companies that I buy stuff from that regularly have 6 to 12 month waiting lists for regular catalog products that are 'out-of-stock'.  Granted, these are not tech industries, but they don't seem to be going out of business nor is anyone saying this.  In fact, they continually seem to be raising their prices without reducing their back order lists much - if at all.

post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, this is a case where Apple's PR department should address this issue. Responding to false rumors would be a prudent move and there's nothing unsavory about squashing FUD.

Seriously, no preorders, Misek saying there are problems and this rumor. imo there is something going on here which means Apple sure wont confirm this if its true.
Apple will report a total amount of phones on the 23rd and people wont know how many 5c or 5s were sold.
post #46 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I will get up 2:55AM NYC time - order it 3:00AM.

Go back to sleep.

Wake up at 5:30AM.

Get in line at Apple Store @ 6:00AM.; hopefully have it by 9AM.

Go to work and cancel my online order.

Glad to see you have your priorities straight. 

/s
post #47 of 86
China first strategy. And I base that on absolutely nothing.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 86

If supplies are "grotesquely low" then Apple should raise the price on the 5S.  I'm sure they'd sell at a higher price if supplies are that limited.

post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Maybe I'm just thick, but other than 'marketing' and fodder for news trolls, what difference does it make if Apple can't supply first day orders without exception?  Give it a week or maybe even a month, and everyone who wants the latest iPhone will likely be satisfied.  Is anyone really going to buy an Android because they couldn't get a launch day iPhone?  Why is being 'out of stock' seen as a failure?  Can anyone explain this line of thinking to me?  

When my daughter was trying to get an iPhone 5 last launch, she seemed to revel in the adventure of trying to work the system to get her phone.  Never once did she say, "That it's bull, I'm getting an Android instead!"

I personally know of a couple of companies that I buy stuff from that regularly have 6 to 12 month waiting lists for regular catalog products that are 'out-of-stock'.  Granted, these are not tech industries, but they don't seem to be going out of business nor is anyone saying this.  In fact, they continually seem to be raising their prices without reducing their back order lists much - if at all.

I remember a few years back, when people would scramble to get their hands on the Nintendo Wii, and it was never in stock at retail stores. Most of these people didn't just say, oh, let's just buy a PlayStation instead! These aren't just the same widget from different manufacturers. Something the Android specs-worshippers don't understand.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #50 of 86
Quote:

You need to get up at 2:55. Allow time for your "business' and pounce by 3:01.
Save time and take care of your "business" and get online at the same time. No one needs to know.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If supplies are "grotesquely low" then Apple should raise the price on the 5S.  I'm sure they'd sell at a higher price if supplies are that limited.

If true, it certainly will jack up the price of resales.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #52 of 86
Quote:

You need to get up at 2:55. Allow time for your "business' and pounce by 3:01.

Adult diapers. Get the extra 6 mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Is "grotesquely" low worse than "low"???

It's a$$hats like these folks that will scream "Apple is doomed" if it takes more than 5 minutes to sell out of the 5S. 

"Grotesquely low" is still higher than analyst's IQ.

Lets spread a new rumor: Apple has one iPhone 5S available and is forcing the first 100 customers to share it.
post #53 of 86
Quote:

Not going to happen. Keeping the established price points is extremely important.

Perhaps you remember the early adopters of the original iPhone were issued a $100 store refund when the price was eventually lowered.

They don't want a repeat of that situation.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Save time and take care of your "business" and get online at the same time. No one needs to know.

Now that's a "grotesque" thought!

--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
post #55 of 86

So the carriers who try to sell Android devices to people asking about iPhones are receiving too few iPhones for launch day... Is that the truth of it?

Definitely would fit in line with what Tim Cook talked about recently about upping the sales of iPhones in Apple stores (see how I just blended two rumours!).

post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, let's hope it's FUD and not FUBAR.

It could also be FUDAR.

That'd be bad. 1wink.gif

I'm going to buy a bunch of gold 5s's ('s's's?) and sell them back to the Chinese for three times the price.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #57 of 86
Mstone, as SpamSandwich correctly points out, a huge shortage means that more people will be waiting in line to get an iPhone just to resell it for more. That money's going to end up in someone's hands, it may as well be Apple's. Otherwise it's a lost opportunity cost.
Edited by DroidFTW - 9/17/13 at 2:04pm
post #58 of 86
I wonder if the China Mobile deal required Apple to let CM offer the 5S to CM customers first? No pre-order here, limited supplies...
post #59 of 86

If Apple can sell an iPhone4 while the 4S and the 5 are out for 12 whole months, they can continue to sell the iPhone 4S and 5c for several  days or weeks with low availability of the IPhone 5S.  Only one major update per year means that people do not run to the next new phone a few days later.

I can't upgrade until the iPhone6 anyway (at least, I won't pay to upgrade before I'm "paid off").

post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If the 5S is unavailable I could see the competition taking advantage. 1hmm.gif

Selling what, exactly? A smartphone with a diagonal size the same as their CPU architecture?
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #61 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Oh, "
grotesquely low". That's different. Now I can squirm when I think "low".
Ewwwwww!

My friend at AT&T informed that they will only have the silver iPhone at launch.
post #62 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Oh, "
grotesquely low". That's different. Now I can squirm when I think "low".
Ewwwwww!

My friend at AT&T informed that they will only have the silver iPhone at launch.

AT&T is selling a one of a kind?
post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

But as others have asked, then why didn't Apple limit sales to US initially instead of, for the first time, making them available in China simultaneously.  That decision suggests that Apple does have sufficient stock to handle the initial surge reasonably well.

Stock outs at the carrier retail locations are bad news though.  My experience buying an iPhone at a Verizon store a few years ago wasn't pleasant.  They tried to talk me out of the iPhone in favor of some other device.  Some (hopefully small) percentage of people who head to a non-Apple store to get the new iPhone will walk out with some other brand of phone if they are out of iPhones (plus an overpriced bundle of crappy accessories).

For a few years now Apple has been releasing their products in as many counties as soon as possible to curb people buying them and shipping them overseas and inflating the costs. If I had to guess, Apple has enough supply to give each major market a certain amount of phones. Just because they are for sale in lots of countries doesn't mean they have a ton to go around.

Sometimes everyone getting a little is better than some getting all and others getting none.
post #64 of 86
Quote:

That's what scalpers do. A company like Apple can't raise its price willy-nilly once it's been announced.

Learn something about how a real business works, and how they respond to short-run v. long-run supply shocks.

post #65 of 86
They are launching in China. What do you expect? Of course launch day supplies in the US will be more constrained than in the past.
post #66 of 86
If Apple Knew that they were going to be short why open up sale in China so early...? Or is it a new strategy to offer more phones to China to win a more competitive market. While slowing the U.S sale because they dominate and potential sale will wait.
post #67 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's what scalpers do. A company like Apple can't raise its price willy-nilly once it's been announced.

Learn something about how a real business works, and how they respond to short-run v. long-run supply shocks.
You certainly have a valid point but the way in which you made it could certainly use some improvement. I know it can sometimes be difficult to determine tone when communicating online, but you sometimes come off as unnecessarily hostile. It's certainly possible that I'm not reading your time correctly and if that's the case then you have my apologies.
post #68 of 86
I am sure this unsubstantiated rumor will be the next focus of those anti-Apple CNBC haters, led by Melissa Lee.
post #69 of 86
Who came up with the term "grotesquely low"? To exactly what are they even comparing that term? How does it hurt these carriers? If there aren't enough iPhones to go around, the consumers can just pick up some low-cost Android smartphone or two Samsung Galaxy S4s for $199. After all, everyone says that iPhones aren't anything special as far as hardware is concerned. The carriers can bait and switch iPhones for Androids then customers won't have to leave the carrier retail stores empty-handed.
post #70 of 86
and as usual for this type of report, AAPL up $5 and change.
post #71 of 86
Grotesquely low as in Microsoft-Surface-launch low? Or just low compared to anticipated demand?

It's curious how stock outs for any other product, no matter how artificially constrained, would result in generous media fawning and praise. Somehow the physical inability of Apple's supply chain to produce the massive volume of cutting-edge components will be spun as poor planning, poor management.
post #72 of 86
Quote:

You certainly have a valid point but the way in which you made it could certainly use some improvement. I know it can sometimes be difficult to determine tone when communicating online, but you sometimes come off as unnecessarily hostile. It's certainly possible that I'm not reading your time correctly and if that's the case then you have my apologies.

No need to apologize. I overstepped in my tone.

It's just that I have a Pavlovian response to your username every time I see it (which is why I rarely, if ever, respond to your posts; I know I run the risk of showing my annoyance).
post #73 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Grotesquely low as in Microsoft-Surface-launch low? Or just low compared to anticipated demand?

It's curious how stock outs for any other product, no matter how artificially constrained, would result in generous media fawning and praise. Somehow the physical inability of Apple's supply chain to produce the massive volume of cutting-edge components will be spun as poor planning, poor management.

The spin may not be entirely misplaced this time, given that they took an extra couple of months to do their phone announcement. One would have thought that addressing supply chain issues would have -- given last year's iMac fiasco -- been priority #1.

That's why I don't believe this report.
post #74 of 86

I may be wrong...but I think Apple has a real winner with the iP5S. It's more of an advanced device than even the MBP or MBA.

Advanced security, advanced camera, advanced battery, advanced chip design, advanced apps, etc., etc. And "mobile" has Apple's attention.

Stevo said, "...in tech you have to be 10 years ahead of the competition and Apple is now five years ahead." 

I think the iP5S is at least 5 years ahead of anything Samsung, Motorola, BB, Nokia/MS, HTC has produced.

post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think the iP5S is at least 5 years ahead of anything Samsung, Motorola, BB, Nokia/MS, HTC has produced.

In 5 years I think that list is going to be much smaller or very different.
post #76 of 86
Its mainly due to the demand for the metallic colors. I am almost certain Gold will be this "it" color for the fall.
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

How can you use grotesquely" low inventory and "less.. than expected demand" in the same story?

I am pleasantly annoyed at this.

Because it an analyst telling the story lol they can be both wrong and right at the same time. For plausible deniably reasons in the future.

post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Grotesquely low as in Microsoft-Surface-launch low?

Lol now your just making me laugh.  They had plenty of surfaces,  They had to eat $900 million worth of them in a write off. Now there giving the damn things to schools for free.  I guess the schools can always use them for door stops.

post #79 of 86

If Apple only made just a few phones, then I think it would only be fair to remove them from all the stores and put them on eBay instead.

All iPhone 5S's will be sold on eBay to the highest bidder.  That way, there can never be a shortage of iPhone 5S's.  Problem solved.

post #80 of 86
I don't know if I can justify moving from the 5 to the 5S but my wife's Galaxy III is looking long in the tooth...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US carriers signal launch iPhone 5s inventory will be 'grotesquely' low