or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple may look to MacBook Pro casing supplier Catcher to bolster iPhone 5s shell production

Apple may look to MacBook Pro casing supplier Catcher to bolster iPhone 5s shell production

post #1 of 34
With reports that Apple's iPhone 5s will be severely constrained at launch, the company is now thought to be looking to an existing MacBook Pro unibody shell supplier to boost yields of the smartphone's metal casing, one analyst says.

iPhone 5s

Dovetailing with reports earlier on Tuesday that launch day iPhone 5s inventory will be "grotesquely" low, KGI securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a research note obtained by AppleInsider that Apple will try to boost capacity by extending metal case orders to Catcher, the company's current supplier of MacBook Pro unibody chassis.

Low yields of the iPhone 5s' metal case, especially the gold color option, and construction time associated with advanced components like the Touch ID fingerprint sensor are thought to be behind the allegedly constrained inventory.

The supply chain diversification is not expected to ramp up until 2014, however, meaning supply constraints may continue for some time.

According to Kuo, Catcher will start mass production and shipment of the iPhone 5s metal casings in the first quarter of next year, taking an 8 to 13 percent share of shipments for the period. Currently, Foxconn handles a bulk of casing production, with some industry watchers concerned the manufacturing behemoth will leverage its position as the handset's EMS supplier to nab all orders for the iPhone 5s. This is thought to be unlikely, Kuo said, as Foxconn itself is also trying to diversify, lessening its reliance on Apple.

With other Apple partner manufacturers handling metal shell production for the iPad, iPod and MacBook Pro, Catcher is seen as the most probably choice for expansion. For example, Casetek, which recently took on more responsibility for iPad mini case construction, is less likely to grab any part of the iPhone 5s' orders.

Exacerbating the alleged iPhone 5s supply constraints is Apple's expected continued reliance on metal, or more specifically aluminum, as its mainstream casing material for future devices set to roll out in 2014. Although it has been speculated that Apple will revamp its product designs to include carbon fiber or sapphire parts, Kuo believes the advantages of metal will keep the material relevant for the coming calendar year. Key benefits include flexibility with sophisticated form factor design, surface treatment options and cost.

Finally, the analyst notes Apple needs higher capacity output due to low yield rates for the popular gold and space gray iPhone 5s casings, color options that were both introduced this year. Kuo reiterates his expectation that iPhone 5s shipments will outstrip those of the iPhone 5c.
post #2 of 34

I cannot see a reason why the gold or space gray casings would have lower yield than the silver or black. Anodizing is a very well understood process.

post #3 of 34

FUDⁿ.

post #4 of 34
Another good reason to mix up the lineup with plastic.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #5 of 34
The casings are identical to those if the iPhone 5. This report makes absolutely no sense. None. Zero. If (huge if) Apple had an issue with any particular casing, they'd just make more of the one case they had no issues with (Silver) and dump those on the market since they'd sell perfectly well until the other cases could be produced with better yields. The touch sensor production issues make more sense to me since that's a new part. Remember the white iPhone 4 delays? They couldn't get the white glass just right, so instead they dumped black iPhone 4's on the market and they sold all of them.
post #6 of 34

5c --- high yield but low demand, marketing problem

5s --- low yield but high demand, supply chain problem

Tim Cook can't do it worse !

post #7 of 34

what has Apple done in 2013 ?  No single product release until 9/2013.  And it turned out an old iphone 5 with colorful case, another minor upgrade on iphone 5.   That's it ?  No China Mobile deal, no bigger screen phone, no iWatch, no iTV.   WHy is the board still keeping Tim Cook as CEO ?

post #8 of 34
Possible solution to complex iPhone 5/5S enclosure: Liquidmetal.

It's almost as easy to use as plastic, because it can be injection-molded like plastic.
It would require little machining, unlike the current iPhone 5S machined from a billet.
It uses less energy to recycle because it doesn't need to be melted down to a fluid state.
But it's expensive (if Apple uses the alloy that includes platinum.)

Possible solution to expensive Liquidmetal alloy: Apple Store trade-in program.

Apple has established an iPhone trade-in program at their retail stores.
If enough future iPhone users trade their iPhones in at Apple, they could
recapture most of that Liquidmetal for re-use in next-gen iPhones.
The Liquidmetal alloy might remain more expensive than aluminum alloy, but
recycling through Apple stores could negate that.

Possible side benefit of Apple Store recycling: emerging market refurb sales.

If Apple could refurbish the electronics of traded-in iPhones, they could in theory
repackage those electronics in new enclosures (polycarbonate like iPhone 5C is now.)
And those refurbished, repackaged iPhones could be sold at lower cost in
emerging markets.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #9 of 34
This is another attempt by analysts and media who hates Apple. They just want yet another reason to dump Apple. Let's for a second assume that this is the fact. The low supply could also mean that the demand is much higher than expected. Isn't this a good news - High Demand ? But as always this will be taken as negative, because analyst things that this will have this customer go to some other brand. This is not the first time! Matter of fact, people who wants Apple product will wait if they have to.
post #10 of 34
I'm n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you stupid or just an idiot? Get off our website.

He's right about the part you quoted. Why did you quote the part he got right and call him an idiot? Hm.
post #11 of 34
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post
He's right about the part you quoted.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp View Post

Tell me what it released before 9/2013 ?  Your brain has been damaged so severely that you can do nothing but denying. 

Quote:

Ok, so is this not enough?  New AirPort/Time Capsule with 802.11ac, new rMBPs, new MBA, slight bump with the iMac... yeah, they have done nothing.  Oh, and why haven't they innovated anything this quarter, that must mean Tim Cook sucks and is a drain at Apple and Apple is dying /s.

Seriously, lay off the funny mushroom thing.  It is affecting that portion of your brain that enables you to see facts

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston

post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp View Post

Come on boys and girls, only IDIOTS and absolute IDIOTS would consider those trivial and absolutely trivial things Apple released before 9/2013 as innovative (or even a thing) ---- Even Tim Cook admitted the "real" "amazing hardware, software, and service" new products will start from Fall 2013.   Anything it released before Fall 2013 were way trivial --- If you are thrilled about those things you are real idiot.

No one has done 802.11AC yet, nor have they ever done anything in that form factor.  That is called innovation.  Have you looked at the Mac Pro? Again, no one has ever attempted anything like that.  That is called innovation.  Have you bothered to understand what goes into the MBP/MBA/rMBPs? Full unibody design using a solid piece of metal.  That is called innovation.  Using the same technique for Unibody on to hard plastic and it keeping its rigidity.  That is called innovation.

Not every piece of innovation has to be a total game changer.  Also, I might add this, when has anyone else even come close to innovating at the pace of Apple?  No one.

And this doesn't even cover software!!

-- Mike Eggleston

-- Mike Eggleston

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Ok, so is this not enough?  New AirPort/Time Capsule with 802.11ac, new rMBPs, new MBA, slight bump with the iMac... yeah, they have done nothing.  Oh, and why haven't they innovated anything this quarter, that must mean Tim Cook sucks and is a drain at Apple and Apple is dying /s.

Seriously, lay off the funny mushroom thing.  It is affecting that portion of your brain that enables you to see facts

When we say they are trivial, they are trivial in the sense they would NOT create much EXTRA revenue for the company.    What is bothering Tim Cook and board most now ?  It is Apple stock.  They have admitted that.    Why Apple stock is not up after the things you listed were released ?  Nobody cares these things as they can't change the picture.

post #15 of 34
Quote:

I have almost everything  Apple has released and I don't own a single Android stuff.   I am really disappointed by Apple's extremely slow and non innovative releases.   We have to face this reality, Tim Cook is not suitable for his job.  I bet if he resigned the stock will jump $50.

Why do we care about stock price? If Apple (who obviously doesn't) care about it, then they must be seeing the bigger picture.

It is irrational and stupid to get upset when you see somebody offers different opinion.   If you just like to hear things on your wish list and just use this forum as a confidence boosting platform,  you already having some psych confusion issue.

It is one thing to offer a different opinion.  Hell, I welcome a good debate.  However, when you sit there and spout off things like "Tell me what it released before 9/2013" you should expect a response about that. And just because that doesn't mesh with what you are perceiving to be a lack of innovation, doesn't make my or Tallest's remarks any less valid.  As a matter of fact, I would challenge you to go look for another tech company that you feel has out-innovated Apple and in what regards.

-- Mike Eggleston

-- Mike Eggleston

post #16 of 34
Originally Posted by shrimp
Tell me what it released before 9/2013 ?  Your brain has been damaged so severely that you can do nothing but denying. 

You’d better hope that post took you TEN MINUTES to write, because either way you have a huge amount of egg on your face.

I have almost everything Apple has released

lol.

I am really disappointed by Apple's extremely slow and non innovative releases.

That’s nice. We don’t care. Take it somewhere that lies are accepted.

What is bothering Tim Cook and board most now ?  It is Apple stock. They have admitted that.

No, they couldn’t care less about the stock and have stated as such.

Stop trying to rewrite history.

post #17 of 34
Quote:

Ok, I thought that was the case.  I was fairly certain Tim had publicly stated he didn't care about the stock, just that they made awesome products.  Thanks for the reformation!

-- Mike Eggleston

-- Mike Eggleston

post #18 of 34
Isn't it stupid to assume I am Samsung investor (or Apple short) just because I made some negative comment on Apple?

He misspoke. I don’t imagine ALL Samsung employees get stock options, particularly their Internet Hate Brigade.

Originally Posted by shrimp View Post
Tim Cook has said many times the stock is frustrating”…

Because people who have no idea what they’re talking about, who have no inside information into Apple, and who lie using that lack of information, specifically, purposefully, to drop Apple’s stock take it on a rollercoaster ride. 

Imagine, if you will, that you’d have enough worth to have children some day. Let’s say your babysitter is continually putting your child into confusing or dangerous situations. You can’t stop him, because you’re not there, by definition, but then you come home and remind him what he should be doing, and he goes, “Oh, yeah, that’s what it is,” except he just keeps doing it every time you go out. 

Board has tied Tim's pay package to AAPL performance.

Source? How does an already agreed upon compensation package magically change during its terms?

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post

The casings are identical to those if the iPhone 5. This report makes absolutely no sense. None. Zero. If (huge if) Apple had an issue with any particular casing, they'd just make more of the one case they had no issues with (Silver) and dump those on the market since they'd sell perfectly well until the other cases could be produced with better yields. The touch sensor production issues make more sense to me since that's a new part. Remember the white iPhone 4 delays? They couldn't get the white glass just right, so instead they dumped black iPhone 4's on the market and they sold all of them.

Actually the cases may look the same but the machined interior is laid out different because of the different components of the 5s.  Screw mounts and other things are not the same on the inside.

post #20 of 34
Quote:

what has Apple done in 2013 ?  No single product release until 9/2013.  And it turned out an old iphone 5 with colorful case, another minor upgrade on iphone 5.   That's it ?  No China Mobile deal, no bigger screen phone, no iWatch, no iTV.   WHy is the board still keeping Tim Cook as CEO ?

Go away.  The year has not ended yet.

post #21 of 34
Quote:

5c --- high yield but low demand, marketing problem

5s --- low yield but high demand, supply chain problem

Tim Cook can't do it worse !

You probably can.

post #22 of 34

First of all, I am sorry to say, your no logical analogy of babysitter stuff reveals your relatively low level of IQ.

Were that actually the case, you’d prove it wrong.

Thirdly, using insulting words like "if you have worth to have children" to attempt personal attack won't hurt anybody but your own worth.

HA! Good luck. I should know.

For your education purpose, read the source about Apple stock/CEO pay: 

Cool, thanks. Note this, however:

Cook asked to alter his compensation in this fashion.

Proving you wrong. And if only you had the sources to back up the other lies you’ve claimed…

EDIT: This post REALLY feels like deja vu. Like point for point the same stuff. Has this been talked about before? I’ve had multiple glimpses into the future before, though, so it could have just been one of those I’m remembering.

post #23 of 34

We can not  judge the innovation level of a company in an isolated way.  We can't rate Apple's performance without looking at what it has done under Steve Jobs in the past years.   What Apple has released in the past year can be rated "A" for any other mediocre tech firms.  But it is just a "B" for Apple as it is not releasing any game changing product in a pace it used to.

I hope everybody honestly ask yourself a question and you don't need to tell me the answer --- If Steve Jobs were alive, what would he rate Apple's performance in the past year ? A or B ?

post #24 of 34
Quote:

You’d better hope that post took you TEN MINUTES to write, because either way you have a huge amount of egg on your face.

lol.

That’s nice. We don’t care. Take it somewhere that lies are accepted.

I love fried shrimp.
post #25 of 34

Another troll runs this thread into the ground.  Wow moving on.

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Actually the cases may look the same but the machined interior is laid out different because of the different components of the 5s.  Screw mounts and other things are not the same on the inside.

Not just the screw mount, you forget the orientation of screws are also changed ! Big change !

post #27 of 34
Quote:

Secondly,  the fact you don't even know Apple just tied CEO's compensation to stock reveals you are not updated but a silly stubborn red neck.
Thirdly, using insulting words like......
Stop badly overstating your case. Actually, shut up, really. Apple didn't 'just' tie the CEO's compensation to stock price. When he came back to Apple as CEO, Jobs, for instance, took $1 in salary and the rest was in stocks and options. Yet, he repeatedly said -- and has shown -- that he gave a hoot about the stock price. His basic view was that if you can surprise and delight your consumer with great products of great quality at great prices, the stock price will take care of itself in the long run. (The key words there are 'long run', so it may not apply to idiot investors with the attention span of a gnat).

And, to call someone a 'silly stubborn redneck' and then whine about being insulted is a tad laughable.
post #28 of 34
Quote:

I am surprised that this forum is ruined  by bunch of immature (teens maybe) and emotional  people who refuse to conduct rational discussion.

Nobody's forcing you to stay here. In fact, you're welcome to leave, in case you didn't know. There are plenty of other forums -- both pro- and anti-Apple -- where you can bring your wisdom and insights to the masses.
post #29 of 34

How old are you ?

Old enough to know when someone’s grasping at straws.

I have no interest to answer or prove”…

Ha! Then what right do you have to continue your “rational discussion”? What right do you have to post at all? 

You’d make a good president, though. “No interest to answer or prove”; then what in the name of anodized aluminum are you even doing here?

Boy, steve jobs didn't have to care stock because he had so many ideas and "one more thing" to offer.

Talk about idiocy.

If you only have "one more color" to offer then don't brag you don't care about stock.

And now to snip the achilles tendon: By saying this, do you imply that there was no change between the iPhone 5 and 5S save for the addition of the champagne color option?

post #30 of 34
Quote:

Why can't AI be the first to innovate in the Internet space and require an intelligence test before someone like this can post?
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I'm n
He's right about the part you quoted. Why did you quote the part he got right and call him an idiot? Hm.
Because the little ferret he is criticizing is using the complaint flag to ban users who criticize is stupidity and probable troll credentials.
post #32 of 34
Quote:

Not just the screw mount, you forget the orientation of screws are also changed ! Big change !

These are computer controlled machines. Any moron (well almost any) knows that once you program them they run on their own - there is no big change here!
post #33 of 34
N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Not major engineering challenges that could even remotely lead to production delays or shortages. Completely preposterous to even suggest.
post #34 of 34
Does this analyst even have the slightest clue?
Same exact shell has been in production for a year.. And now suddenly apple has yield issues?

On daily basis i am shocked as to how many people are getting paid to write this kind of bogus articles !
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple may look to MacBook Pro casing supplier Catcher to bolster iPhone 5s shell production
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple may look to MacBook Pro casing supplier Catcher to bolster iPhone 5s shell production