or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases redesigned iOS 7 for iPhone & iPad with Control Center, AirDrop, iTunes Radio, more
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases redesigned iOS 7 for iPhone & iPad with Control Center, AirDrop, iTunes Radio, more - Page 6

post #201 of 245
Downloaded and installed smoothly on my ipad mini. But man, the new look and feel crappy. If id know its so bad, I would not upgrade. Is there way to go back and revert?

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #202 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Downloaded and installed smoothly on my ipad mini. But man, the new look and feel crappy. If id know its so bad, I would not upgrade. Is there way to go back and revert?

 

You had like gazillion of ss on web :D

 

Its not ugly. You just need to get used to it.

 

I personaly LOVE IT. I wish it could be all black and white for example.

 

 

And as for upgrade. No you cant go back/

post #203 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post
 Is there way to go back and revert?

Before I discovered that translucency was NOT working on my IP5 ("reset all settings fixed that), I was ready to ditch my phone and iOS7.  It was gawd awful.  Whatever was screwed up on my phone was making the colors WAY more saturated and garish as well as preventing translucency.  I am now much more satisfied with the new UI.

 

I did read a thread on MacRumors where at least one user DID roll back to a previous backup successfully.  

 

David

post #204 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post
 

Before I discovered that translucency was NOT working on my IP5 ("reset all settings fixed that), I was ready to ditch my phone and iOS7.  It was gawd awful.  Whatever was screwed up on my phone was making the colors WAY more saturated and garish as well as preventing translucency.  I am now much more satisfied with the new UI.

 

I did read a thread on MacRumors where at least one user DID roll back to a previous backup successfully.  

 

David

 

Using regular methods you CAN'T go back to iOS 6 because Apple is not signing it anymore.  On pre A5 you can even restore it to iOS which was there when shipped. But later you cant simply because it demands Apple to sign it, which Apple doesnt. Apple only signs latest version of software :)

post #205 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Gahhh!!!! 2.9 GB need to be free???? Definitely getting 32GB next time
Its requiring me 3.2 gb, this is like half a 8gb iPhone 4 (I'm using a 16 gb iPhone 5 but was very tempted for 32gb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

OK, which of you broke Siri?!  This is the longest relationship I've had in years!  Damn you!

PS:  Siri, while she was working, was HUGELY improved.  
Probably over loaded like everything else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Downloaded and installed smoothly on my ipad mini. But man, the new look and feel crappy. If id know its so bad, I would not upgrade. Is there way to go back and revert?
if you have not backed up yet, wipe memory and use your backup before IOS 7.

I can't deal with wiping 3.2 gb of stuff for this, so I might try tomorow
post #206 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mao View Post

Must be Chinese population hogging the bloody servers........lol!

Can't get anything at all. Only thing that I can download is iTunes 11.1 and that's about it.....

Start an Internet rumor that the iOS 7 download contains secret messages promoting a free Tibet. That'll stop all download traffic from China, cold. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #207 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

if you have not backed up yet, wipe memory and use your backup before IOS 7.
 

 

I am sorry, what backup?

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #208 of 245

My battery has dropped 20% in 1 hour...I'm on the 4S.. hmmmm

post #209 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

I am sorry, what backup?

1. You cannot go back to iOS 6.
2. You cannot go back to iOS 6.
3. You cannot go back to iOS 6.
post #210 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1337 View Post


1. You cannot go back to iOS 6.
2. You cannot go back to iOS 6.
3. You cannot go back to iOS 6.

 

OK. I am downloading the iTunes upgrade. May be I do have a backup.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #211 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

OK. I am downloading the iTunes upgrade. May be I do have a backup.

Dude you can have cure for AIDS but you wont get to restore to iOS 6 1smile.gif


Backup is not backup of iOS its backup of its contents (sms,apps,settings etc).

And even if somehow with help of God or Darth Vader you do restore to iOS6. You wont be able to restore backup from iOS 7 to iOS 6 1smile.gif
post #212 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post


Its requiring me 3.2 gb, this is like half a 8gb iPhone 4 (I'm using a 16 gb iPhone 5 but was very tempted for 32gb)
Probably over loaded like everything else
if you have not backed up yet, wipe memory and use your backup before IOS 7.

I can't deal with wiping 3.2 gb of stuff for this, so I might try tomorow

 

Umm ... my usage didn't increase anywhere NEAR 3.2GB.  I don't know what you're looking at, but it certainly didn't use that much on my iPhone (or iPad, for that matter).

 
And you don't think that I understood that Siri's problems were a situation caused by overload?  Really?  Does everything need to end with a "/s" these days?

 

EDIT: YAY!  Siri is back.  I can rest soundly tonight. ;)

post #213 of 245

Not happy they force to download iTunes 11.1, I been holding onto and using  10.7 because I don't like the revamped iTunes. Still have the 10.7 install, hope I can re-install and it works with my updated phone. At the very least I hope 11.1 is better than the first revamped iTunes from last year.

post #214 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Not happy they force to download iTunes 11.1, I been holding onto and using  10.7 because I don't like the revamped iTunes. Still have the 10.7 install, hope I can re-install and it works with my updated phone. At the very least I hope 11.1 is better than the first revamped iTunes from last year.
You can always make iTunes look like old (I do). Just turn on sidebar,status bar and rest 1wink.gif
post #215 of 245

Love it so far. Ditched Pandora in favor of iRadio. Ditched Weather Channel in favor of Weather. The UI design choices (color palette, font) will take some getting used to, but that will happen.

post #216 of 245

Have only updated my iPad mini so far... will hold off for a while for the phone and the iPad.

 

The new appearance is going to take a lot of getting used to, and I usually like new things.  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #217 of 245
How come the update took 15 minutes on iPhone 2 iPhone 4 but is taking 12 hours on iPhone 5?
post #218 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

How come the update took 15 minutes on iPhone 2 iPhone 4 but is taking 12 hours on iPhone 5?

 

No idea.  It took about 25 minutes for me.  It seems weird that it would be busier now than when I did it (soon after it became available).  But who the heck knows?

 
Hopefully it will jump down to a reasonable time soon.  Good luck, man.
post #219 of 245
I finally got 7 installed on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4. Not bad really on both platforms.

I seem to have a glitch on my iPhone where it lost its mind as far as installed apps go but I get updates - strange. On both machines I had to delete a bunch of apps and data to actually get the installer to run. This action in and of itself was goofy and had me wondering if I hung up my iPhone some how, it took forever to reboot.

So far on the iPhone 4 I'm rather happy that the GUI works as well as it does, in some contexts it actually looks like performance increased. Something definitely got screwed up with App Store functionality on this unit, I will work that out later. I'm still disappointed with Apple and the fact that many apps got very minor functionality updates. For example it looks like I will still have to go to my Mac to get business contacts to sort by company name instead of the individuals name. This is important because I can remember a companies at times but not the actual contact. Like wise notes got no additional editing or formatting capabilities so to format a note one has to make a trip to the Mac. Pretty sad really. At least calendar got some love even if that means a few bugs.

IPad is something else again. It suffers from the same lack of functionality improvements in many core apps just like iOS 7 on the iPhone. You would think that wasn't a problem with the extra screen real estate. Most activities though do appear to be faster now. Safari and its address bar is now screwed up and the behavior there has gotten worst with each software revision over the last 3 updates. One thing I did like a lot was the provision to down load the dictionaries, that has worked out nice. I'm slowly working through the apps to get a feel for operational improvements, honestly it is late it took a long time to reestablish all the apps and data removed to do the update.

I don't want to sound negative here as iOS 7 is already pretty pleasing to me. Like I said for the most part it is snappy and apparently are few areas where performance is noticeably worst. That says a lot really. The keyboards seem to work all around better too, something that was bit flaky with iOS 6. Even editing and placing the cursor seems to work much better.
post #220 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Not happy they force to download iTunes 11.1, I been holding onto and using  10.7 because I don't like the revamped iTunes. Still have the 10.7 install, hope I can re-install and it works with my updated phone. At the very least I hope 11.1 is better than the first revamped iTunes from last year.

You can use another computer...
Any other one (a friend's perhaps?) would do the trick. Backup using iCloud so you don't have to store anything on your friend's computer, though.
post #221 of 245
Gave it another 30 mins now says 30 mins
post #222 of 245
Can anyone tell me where the "reader" button went to in safari?

I can see the dad to reading list in the bottom control but not the top.

Update- it's in the address bar to the left...a few very thin lines....Jeeeez
post #223 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Can anyone tell me where the "reader" button went to in safari?

I can see the dad to reading list in the bottom control but not the top.

Update- it's in the address bar to the left...a few very thin lines....Jeeeez

Seems to be gone. Oh well, doesn't matter, really. Scales perfectly when in Portrait and double-tapping on the text in the article, and Safari goes full screen when in Landscape.

edit: when it's available, there's a little icon, top left, in the URL bar:


Edited by PhilBoogie - 9/19/13 at 4:36am
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #224 of 245
iOS 7 = really ugly, garish, tacky, and not much that's actually compelling... all at the same time. Blech.
post #225 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsofacto View Post

iOS 7 = really ugly, garish, tacky, and not much that's actually compelling... all at the same time. Blech.
I am afraid as many people love IOS 7, as hate it. I over 20+ equations have been in situations about IOS 7, 11 of which were dislikes (of those 11, 1 android lover)
post #226 of 245

The new dock in iOS 7 is ugly, especially on the iPad.  It looks so bad that I have to wonder why no one with Apple spoke up and pointed this out before the update was released.  It is also way too big.  Combine that with the fact that user wallpaper photos are zoomed in so much that they look low resolution, and we have a serious problem.

Apple's iPad has gone from having a beautiful appearance to one that looks very low rent.

I suspect that Jony Ive has lost his creativity and that he may be so scary that Apple employees were afraid to tell him that the appearance of iOS 7 is hideous.

I have purchased all four iPads over the years and an iPhone 4 and 5.  I am extremely disappointed with the look of iOS 7, and now I am looking at Android.  Apple’s profit is going to drop because of its ugly iOS 7.

post #227 of 245
Originally Posted by Wilderness
It looks so bad that I have to wonder why no one with Apple spoke up and pointed this out before the update was released. It is also way too big. Combine that with the fact that user wallpaper photos are zoomed in so much that they look low resolution, and we have a serious problem. Apples iPad has gone from having a beautiful appearance to one that looks very low rent. I suspect that Jony Ive has lost his creativity and that he may be so scary that Apple employees were afraid to tell him that the appearance of iOS 7 is hideous. 

 

Utter frippery. Don’t you have anything better to do?

 
I have purchased all four iPads over the years and an iPhone 4 and 5.  I am extremely disappointed with the look of iOS 7, and now I am looking at Android.  Apple’s profit is going to drop because of its ugly iOS 7.

 

Just shut up and go away.

post #228 of 245

Short Skill -- is that you, Jony Ive?  You certainly have some better things to do than posting here.  Such as fixing the ugly design of iOS 7.

post #229 of 245
Originally Posted by Wilderness
Such as fixing the ugly design of iOS 7.

 

Guess you got lost out there.

post #230 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
 

Short Skill -- is that you, Jony Ive?  You certainly have some better things to do than posting here.  Such as fixing the ugly design of iOS 7.

 

I agree. iOS7 is just plain ugly. It has no character, no elegance, no consistency. It looks like a UI from some Chinese newcomer. I wish I could revert my iPad to iOS6. 

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #231 of 245

Concerning Weather info:  You might be interested in trying    wunderground.com.  And for the most comprehensive display you can set up the "classic" version.  The wealth of information on Wunderground is really amazing.  Completely adequate as a source of aviation weather...that good.

SkyKing
Reply
SkyKing
Reply
post #232 of 245

You are right.  Not only ugly but not as useable due to lack of contrast.  In fact the entire ios7 is miserable due to lack of contrast.  It works ok, but it's really a lot harder to see.

SkyKing
Reply
SkyKing
Reply
post #233 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post

The new dock in iOS 7 is ugly, especially on the iPad.  It looks so bad that I have to wonder why no one with Apple spoke up and pointed this out before the update was released.  It is also way too big. 
Totally agree on the dock, one of my first thoughts was that it looked hideous, why anyone would think that a solid colour bar taking up 1 5th of the screen would be a good idea I will never understand. Other things I really dont like so far:

- Keyboard still doesnt swich letters from upper to lower case, and the shift icon is now less obvious
- Awful app icons. Why are they so bright? Why does safari have a white border? It looks like a junior designer did them and icons from 3rd party apps look better on the new design
- Skinny wirery icons, just looks awful. By that i mean the icons on toolbars, they just look so week and dont stand out that im loosing them even though there in the same place
- notes now looks like the most basic note taking app. It may have always been basic, but the old design gave it style. Now it just looks something that was made in a couple hours.

A lot of other stuff I do like, but Apple stuff is usually polished and perfected. The dock and app icons are hard to get passed, its like a junior guy did it and nobody cared enough to fix them.
post #234 of 245
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post
- Keyboard still doesnt swich letters from upper to lower case, and the shift icon is now less obvious

 

Why should they? And it’s in the exact same place; how’s it less obvious?

 
- notes now looks like the most basic note taking app. It may have always been basic, but the old design gave it style. Now it just looks something that was made in a couple hours.

 

3,000,000,000,000% agreed. Notes was absolutely gorgeous and they RUINED it in both OS X and iOS. Note they haven’t yet changed the icon in OS X in the latest Mavericks, nor have they both the icon and design of Reminders therein. They really need to just go back to the way Notes was.

post #235 of 245
Battery life has been hammered on my iPhone 4S since upgrading. I went to bed with 93% charge, awoke with 7% only 7 hrs later. Wifi and Bluetooth were both off, and the only apps running were phone, messages, email (fetch, not push), and clock. Haven't we been here before, Apple???
post #236 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1337 View Post

Dude you can have cure for AIDS but you wont get to restore to iOS 6 1smile.gif


Backup is not backup of iOS its backup of its contents (sms,apps,settings etc).

And even if somehow with help of God or Darth Vader you do restore to iOS6. You wont be able to restore backup from iOS 7 to iOS 6 1smile.gif

It's not impossible to go back to iOS6. . . yet. Better be quick about it tho and you had to have been using 6.1.3 (or 6.1.5 if an iPhone5), Apple is still allowing that version to be restored tho the firmware itself has to come from this page
http://www.icj.me/ios/all

If your really want to do it 9to5 has an article explaining how. It's not a straight forward restore but doesn't appear very difficult either.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #237 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Acton View Post

Battery life has been hammered on my iPhone 4S since upgrading. I went to bed with 93% charge, awoke with 7% only 7 hrs later. Wifi and Bluetooth were both off, and the only apps running were phone, messages, email (fetch, not push), and clock. Haven't we been here before, Apple???

 

Same here with my 4S.. 6 hours and from a full charge and it's at 10%. I've switched off a lot functions too

post #238 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

6.1.5 if an iPhone5

6.1.4 I believe, but now I'm really fukcing ants (= Dutch equivalent to splitting hairs)
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #239 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

6.1.4 I believe, but now I'm really fukcing ants (= Dutch equivalent to splitting hairs)

Ah,, quite right sir. Thanks for catching that.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #240 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Why should they? And it’s in the exact same place; how’s it less obvious?

 

 

Usability. Onscreen keyboards that change the letters to match what there going to output are easier to use, particularly when you think the keyboards going to turn caps on for you and it hasn't. Plus it just makes sense, why display a capital A on a key when its going to output lower case a.

 

The shift key is less obviously on as it's not bright blue when its on any more. Now it's just the shift symbol filled in rather than an outline with no colour difference. The colour contrast made it stand out, now it blends in with the other keys irrespective of state.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple releases redesigned iOS 7 for iPhone & iPad with Control Center, AirDrop, iTunes Radio, more
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases redesigned iOS 7 for iPhone & iPad with Control Center, AirDrop, iTunes Radio, more