or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Transitioning from iOS 6 to Apple's overhauled iOS 7

Transitioning from iOS 6 to Apple's overhauled iOS 7

post #1 of 48
iOS 7 represents the most significant change to Apple's mobile operating system since it debuted on the first iPhone in 2007. To help users in their transition from iOS 6 to iOS 7, AppleInsider offers a breakdown of some of the changes instituted by Apple.

Multitasking

Multitasking

One of the biggest changes in iOS 7 is the new multitasking menu. This can still be accessed by double tapping the home button on any iOS device, or swiping up with four or five fingers if multi-touch gestures are enabled on an iPad.

Instead of a row of icons at the bottom of the screen, recently accessed applications are displayed in the form of cards, which preview the entire app screen. Icons for the respective apps are displayed below.

To kill a background application in iOS 7, users simply slide the window preview upward and "throw" it off of the screen.

Any application can be killed in the multitasking menu, including the currently running one. Previously, users could not close the current application.

New lock screen

lock-130729.jpg

With the new lock screen in iOS 7, users can slide their finger anywhere on the display from left to right to unlock the device. Previously, the "slide to unlock" capability required a specific part of the screen to be touched.

This convenience also extends to answering a phone call on the iPhone, allowing users to swipe anywhere to take the call.

Information and controls can also be quickly accessed from the lock screen, without a need to unlock the device. The new Control Center can be viewed from the lock screen by swiping up from the bottom of the display, while the revamped Notification Center is also available by swiping down from the top.

Quick access to the camera is also available by swiping up from the bottom right corner of the screen. Users are shown this with a camera icon logo displayed there.

Spotlight Search

Lock Screen

In iOS 7, the Spotlight search functionality is no longer its own home screen. Instead, Spotlight can be accessed from any home screen by simply swiping downward.

Doing so pulls all of the icons down to reveal a search box at the top of the screen. This also brings up an onscreen keyboard so a search query can be entered.

Aside from this change, Spotlight search works exactly the same as it did in iOS 6, allowing users to search messages, contacts, apps, music and more.

Camera

Photo, Square capture

Switching between video, photo, panoramic shots, and the new square picture feature in the iOS 7 Camera app is as simple as swiping left or right. The current mode can be seen highlighted in yellow above the Camera app's shutter button.

At the top of the screen are options for the camera flash, high-dynamic range photos, and switching between the rear facing iSight camera and forward facing FaceTime lens. At the bottom left is a quick link to captured photos, while the bottom right gives users the ability to use Instagram-like filters in their shots.

Notification Center

Lock Screen

Notification Center has been overhauled in iOS 7, with the default screen now serving as a quick summary of relevant information. This can include the time needed to travel to a popular destination, current weather, or upcoming calendar entries.

Users can swipe left or right on the screen to jump over to a more complete list of notifications, such as messages from installed applications or a list of recently updated apps. There are a total of three panes: Today, All, and Missed.

When a Notification Center banner appears at the top of the screen when doing another task on an iPhone or iPad, users can simply swipe upward to dismiss that banner.

Background apps

Background

Multitasking has been enhanced in iOS 7, allowing all applications to provide background updates at times the company says won't hurt battery life. The new system learns from users' habits and updates frequently used applications automatically in the background.

iOS 7 knows when is the best time to check for these updates, such as current battery life or network conditions.

Users still have the ability to control this feature, however, through the Settings application in iOS 7. Simply navigate to General, then choose Background App Refresh.

From there, the background refresh feature can be disabled entirely, or users can turn it off on an app-by-app basis. Blue location icons are also displayed next to applications that has the ability to use location services in the background, including geofencing.
post #2 of 48
Downloading.....no whammy no whammy no whammy!

STOP!! .......on a WHAMMY!!!

Failed to install

By the way, did we three articles in a row on the same topic?
Edited by StephanJobs - 9/18/13 at 10:33am
post #3 of 48
I spent quite a while trying to find the search option in iOS7. Pulling down from the top of the screen brings in the notifications and pulling up from the bottom brings up the new controls. It never occured to me to pull down the main screen (not near the top). I had to do an Internet search to find the option. I hope Apple provides this as a tip during the iOS7 first-time install process or lots of people will never stumble onto it.
post #4 of 48
Ok so app update and background location services is the same? I don't mind my apps updating, but why should they have the ability to use location services if they are in the background. I want the app to only use location if the app is open and i press use location, otherwise why should they have access to my location.
post #5 of 48
My iPad 4 is downloading iOS 7 as we speak, but my iPhone 4 doesn't even say it's available. Weird. All of this hype around iOS 7 and the iPhone and my iPad is getting it first. hahahahahahaha. I'll take any way I can get it.
post #6 of 48
So is it making anyone's iPhone 4 slow? If it does, I'm not upgrading.
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

This is what I'm waiting to hear as well. Have that issue with iOS 4(?) on the 3g and will just hold off until I hear more this time. Looking to get new iPhone in a month or two when things settle down any way.

post #8 of 48
Three articles in a row that are essentially the same. Images that won't load or are corrupt. (I also expect a lot of typos) This site is appalling.
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

This is what I'm waiting to hear as well. Have that issue with iOS 4(?) on the 3g and will just hold off until I hear more this time. Looking to get new iPhone in a month or two when things settle down any way.

I can't afford to buy a new phone at all. I was trying to save for an iPad but that failed when the money got spent on food and bills (you know, unimportant things, hah hah). All my electronics are out of date and some stuff is dying (failed nvidia GPU, car on last legs, a PC still running Vista...). Sigh.
post #10 of 48
Anyone getting a bit motion sickness with this software? I was listing to Leo Leporte on twit and he said too much swooping and swishing making him "dizzy" and I thought. "Awe your just an old man"

But now . . . Jeez

AM I GETTING OLD?! Lol

I like the features and effects. But I wonder if he got in my head, or am I feeling the same about it.
post #11 of 48

I am NOT feeling the luv for the new UI that I expected.  I HATE the new folders setup.  Before we had 4 columns within a folder even though nesting folders was not allowed.  Now they only allow 3 columns per folder, so folders that previously held all associated apps are NOW spread across two folders and I have to swipe back and forth to get to what I previously could do with just a single tap to the wanted app.  I also am finding that the new flat icons are harder to make out on the main screen.  

Parts of the new UI are wonderful, but I am beginning to feel that TOO many visual clues may have been removed in the effort to purge iOS of its previous excesses.

As a side note I could NOT believe that Apple did NOT update the "find friends" app.  It is still beautiful, simulated, Corinthian stitched leather.

David

Edited by dtidmore - 9/18/13 at 7:14pm
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I spent quite a while trying to find the search option in iOS7. Pulling down from the top of the screen brings in the notifications and pulling up from the bottom brings up the new controls. It never occured to me to pull down the main screen (not near the top). I had to do an Internet search to find the option. I hope Apple provides this as a tip during the iOS7 first-time install process or lots of people will never stumble onto it.

When I first installed ios 7 all my iOS devices the first thing I got after the setup was an alert saying how to get to spotlight. You probably just hit OK without reading it.
post #13 of 48
Running it on my iPhone 5, and must say, as an Apple fan since '84, I sure as hell hope Apple has included theme support in this OS, because frankly the GUI totally sux. Looks silly and childish. iOS 6 was FAR more classy, refined and business like. 7 is too whimsical. Looks like something a 2nd grader would come up with using highlighter pens. Just awful. For first time ever, I'm actually considering jail breaking my phone so I don't have to look at this junk. The keyboard font is stickly. Everything is just "flat". Definitely a step backwards wrt interface design. But there are some nice new features like control center. Just don't want to look at and use this hideous new interface. Will be looking for iOS 7 hacks and themes soon!
post #14 of 48

Aren't the folders in iOS7 supposed to be transparent? Mine are a solid, opaque color...really, really ugly.

Like the other stuff though.

post #15 of 48

As someone seeing/using it for the every first time I was quite disappointed and surprised about a few things that none of the extensive articles I read beforehand prepared me for. 

1) pulldown notifications is a big ugly black square.  Considering the entire rest of the OS is white and transparent this seems a bizarre choice.  I was led to believe the pullovers were translucent and white.

2) Weather app deleted, no warning, no choice

3) Voice memo app deleted, no warning, no choice. 

The Weather disturbs me the most.  After seeing the wonderful animated blue weather app in all the video demonstrations, I am left instead with no weather at all except a TEXT description of the weather on a black pulldown sheet only.  Bummer!  And most of the good third party weather apps are either ugly, only work in the USA or both.  

post #16 of 48

There is no wrong time or place!  Are phone operating system threads off limits because you're too busy holding your precious phone to think about right and wrong?

post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The Weather disturbs me the most.  After seeing the wonderful animated blue weather app in all the video demonstrations, I am left instead with no weather at all except a TEXT description of the weather on a black pulldown sheet only.  Bummer!  And most of the good third party weather apps are either ugly, only work in the USA or both.  

The weather app is still there. Look again.

post #18 of 48
Hoo boy - we got some doozies out to play in this thread.

But yea - the GUI - uhhh - still getting used to it. Needs more contrast here and there imo
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As someone seeing/using it for the every first time I was quite disappointed and surprised about a few things that none of the extensive articles I read beforehand prepared me for. 

1) pulldown notifications is a big ugly black square.  Considering the entire rest of the OS is white and transparent this seems a bizarre choice.  I was led to believe the pullovers were translucent and white.

2) Weather app deleted, no warning, no choice

3) Voice memo app deleted, no warning, no choice. 

Hmmm, I have both my Weather and Voice apps after the upgrade.  Look to see that they didn't end up as a second page in one of your "Groups" (which is another cool feature - multi-page groups).

post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Hmmm, I have both my Weather and Voice apps after the upgrade.  Look to see that they didn't end up as a second page in one of your "Groups" (which is another cool feature - multi-page groups).

I should have specified iPad instead of iPhone.  As far as I can tell so far, these apps have been removed form the iPad install.  

Apparently the gods at Apple have decreed that we don't use them on this device.  
post #21 of 48
Those of you have successfully downloaded, what were the download times like?

By the way, I just signed up to ask that.
post #22 of 48
Quote:

I think you revert to a pre 7 backup if not happy.

(clarity fix)

Edited by mhikl - 9/18/13 at 6:27pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #23 of 48

So sad that this thread can't stay on topic and not be highjacked by those wishing to discussing the PC-ness of the James Bond image.  This thread is ABOUT the transition from iOS6 to iOS7.

What happened to the new security feature that was going to REQUIRE a passcode entry in order to completely power down the phone.  That appears to be missing in action for iOS7.  This feature was key to preventing a thief from just power down an iphone after stealing it so as to preclude the owner or authorities using "find my phone".

I am going to go back and watch the WWDC as well as the keynote this month.  What we got with this update is missing the expectations set in the keynotes.

David

post #24 of 48

Anyone else have an issue where their photostreams were all gone after installing iOS 7?  Any idea how to get these back?

post #25 of 48
I love iOS7 so far. I did have to google for spotlight search though. I feel like the icon for "reading list" is a nod to Steve Jobs glasses.
post #26 of 48

I WAS really feeling NO luv for the new UI and could not figure out why it felt SO different that what I had seen on the WWDC keynote.  I decided to go back and watch the keynote again to see if I could put my finger on why I was having such a negative reaction to the UI.  In a word, TRANSLUCENCY!  iOS7 on my IP5 had ZERO translucency.  It made everything super flat and SUPER ugly.

Called AppleCare and it stumped them at first.  They decided to have me do a "reset all settings" and that fixed it.  WOW! what a difference.  There was more than just translucency getting fouled up.  Many of the colors that were TOO garish and intense are now more subdued and polished.  

If your control panel pullup does NOT show the blurred background image, then you TOO have been afflicted with this ailment.  Just do the reset and all will be well.

David

post #27 of 48
I highly agree with "dtidmore" I'm having reading the labels on the icons and the flat icons are lame. Give me back my 3D compass for Safari and my legal note pad for notes and white type on my light wallpaper is the pits. Wallpaper won't let me scale my image so I'm left with the center of my selected photos. App Store is not letting me see my purchased apps so I can restore the ones I needed to throw away just so I could install this update. I think I'll wait to put it on my iPhone 5 until I'm comfortable with iOS 7 on my iPad and some of these issues are resolved.
KennDDS
KennDDS
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Wallpaper won't let me scale my image so I'm left with the center of my selected photos. 

When you select your desired pic for wallpaper at the bottom of the pic are the words, move and scale, touch there and you can move and size the pic to your desire.

FYI, I have discovered that pics with LOTs of brown tones really work nice for wallpaper for both readability of the white texts as well as the translucency.  I do agree that they screwed up notes.  

David

post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

App Store is not letting me see my purchased apps so I can restore the ones I needed to throw away just so I could install this update. 

Just found purchases in the app store app.  You go to updates and at the top is the link to purchased.  

post #30 of 48

Everything looks too small! Now I can't read even with my glasses! :wow:

This iOS 7 was made for a 5 inch iPhone!

Otherwise it looks nice, I like it! But I NEED A 5 INCH IPHONEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

I am NOT feeling the luv for the new UI that I expected.  I HATE the new folders setup.  Before we had 4 columns within a folder even though nesting folders was not allowed.  Now they only allow 3 columns per folder, so folders that previously held all associated apps are NOW spread across two folders and I have to swipe back and forth to get to what I previously could do with just a single tap to the wanted app.  I also am finding that the new flat icons are harder to make out on the main screen.  

Parts of the new UI are wonderful, but I am beginning to feel that TOO many visual clues may have been removed in the effort to purge iOS of its previous excesses.

As a side note I could NOT believe that Apple did NOT update the "find friends" app.  It is still beautiful, simulated, Corinthian stitched leather.

David

I have to fully agree with you, I was really looking forward to iOS 7, but now I have it I must say I really do hate it!
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKinDC View Post

Aren't the folders in iOS7 supposed to be transparent? Mine are a solid, opaque color...really, really ugly.

Like the other stuff though.

You must have an older device. iPhone 4 will not get the translucency features because of speed issues.

post #33 of 48
Quote:

You must have an older device. iPhone 4 will not get the translucency features because of speed issues.

You'll also find that the background of the dock and the folders color change with the background wallpaper.

The os Basically reads the majority of the color pallet in your background wallpaper and sets the folder background and dock to that color.

For instance if you have a sunset picture where most of the color in the photo is a warm yellow or orange then your dock and folder background will match.

Now if it's an ocean with lots of blue then viola your background folders and dock will be blue.

I do miss many of the gleam and shine of the old iOS.

Especially the glass dock with reflection. I can't help but say, I feel that some of the look of this would've been hacked to death by SJ
post #34 of 48
iOS 7 is just the 'beginning.'

It will get refined. It's just the start of a new direction.

I have it on my iPad 3.

iPhone 5 will be next.

Going to play with it. Downloaded it last night.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Quote:

You'll also find that the background of the dock and the folders color change with the background wallpaper.

The os Basically reads the majority of the color pallet in your background wallpaper and sets the folder background and dock to that color.

For instance if you have a sunset picture where most of the color in the photo is a warm yellow or orange then your dock and folder background will match.

Now if it's an ocean with lots of blue then viola your background folders and dock will be blue.

I do miss many of the gleam and shine of the old iOS.

Especially the glass dock with reflection. I can't help but say, I feel that some of the look of this would've been hacked to death by SJ

All these musings are pointless: in this age of marketing, something like an iPhone is as much a fashion product as a technology tool. As such, it has to look contemporary, not old-fashioned, unless it looks really old-fashioned (aka SteamPunk) and that happens to be fashionable at the moment.

The flat design trend has long been coming. Skype was one of the first to adopt it in the tech space, but there are others. Luxury brands jumped on it years ago in their print ads. The Prada luxury phone looked from a design point of view more with the times than the iPhone even though it offered only a fraction of the functionality.

iOS was looking more and more out of touch for a fashion product.

Some people think of the 70s as a time of garish colors and ugly design, some hate the 80s, others the 90s grunge, etc. Each period have some classics that look good even out of context, but they will be recognized as children of their time. When it comes to physical goods, I have long decided that my shopping habits will be feast and famine: when the trends hit my taste, I stock up, and when color schemes and design language shifts away from what I like, I disengage. This way my environment looks like what I like, but while it will be good design, it won't be fashionable except in moments in time.

Apple doesn't have that luxury. This is as good a time as any to refreshen the product. Actually, it's an ideal point: Apple needs to show that even without Jobs they can be relevant to ongoing trends AND that they can succeed with choices that are not approved or made by his holiness of St. Steve.

Are there things I like better now? Yes. Are there things I liked better before? Yes.

But unfortunately, we're not getting away from this give and take.

I feel similarly about various random changes in OS X over time.

Ideally, Apple would finally make all their software themeable, which would also whip some lazy software developers into shape (Adobe, and others eternally backwards company who try to push their lazy, proprietary cross-platform API GUI apps on us, instead of offering first-class native apps). 

That way, Apple could offer all the various Themes as an option: from OS X 10.0 all the way to the current look. After an upgrade, the current look would be the default choice, similar for new user accounts. But users could pick one of the legacy themes if they like it better.

With the various auto-layout functionality and given the Cocoa APIs, this would really be easy to do, just as old apps adopt the new look when running on a newer version of the OS, so they could switch looks as different themes are selected.

Plus, it would open up space for an entirely new category of AppStore sales: themes.

Anyway, wishful thinking, for the time being.

post #36 of 48

So far.  I like the icons on the intro screen.  Things seem to be quick and zippy enough.

I guess it's a little clinical and stark.  An example of that?  The note application.  I liked the yellow application.  The new one is very stark.  Sure the old games centre was tacky...and the new one works better.  So it goes.

It lacks the warmth of iOS 6 and prior.  It doesn't have four years or so of refinement behind it yet.

That may come with time.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

All these musings are pointless: in this age of marketing, something like an iPhone is as much a fashion product as a technology tool. As such, it has to look contemporary, not old-fashioned, unless it looks really old-fashioned (aka SteamPunk) and that happens to be fashionable at the moment.

The flat design trend has long been coming. Skype was one of the first to adopt it in the tech space, but there are others. Luxury brands jumped on it years ago in their print ads. The Prada luxury phone looked from a design point of view more with the times than the iPhone even though it offered only a fraction of the functionality.

iOS was looking more and more out of touch for a fashion product.

Some people think of the 70s as a time of garish colors and ugly design, some hate the 80s, others the 90s grunge, etc. Each period have some classics that look good even out of context, but they will be recognized as children of their time. When it comes to physical goods, I have long decided that my shopping habits will be feast and famine: when the trends hit my taste, I stock up, and when color schemes and design language shifts away from what I like, I disengage. This way my environment looks like what I like, but while it will be good design, it won't be fashionable except in moments in time.

Apple doesn't have that luxury. This is as good a time as any to refreshen the product. Actually, it's an ideal point: Apple needs to show that even without Jobs they can be relevant to ongoing trends AND that they can succeed with choices that are not approved or made by his holiness of St. Steve.

Are there things I like better now? Yes. Are there things I liked better before? Yes.

But unfortunately, we're not getting away from this give and take.

I feel similarly about various random changes in OS X over time.

Ideally, Apple would finally make all their software themeable, which would also whip some lazy software developers into shape (Adobe, and others eternally backwards company who try to push their lazy, proprietary cross-platform API GUI apps on us, instead of offering first-class native apps). 

That way, Apple could offer all the various Themes as an option: from OS X 10.0 all the way to the current look. After an upgrade, the current look would be the default choice, similar for new user accounts. But users could pick one of the legacy themes if they like it better.

With the various auto-layout functionality and given the Cocoa APIs, this would really be easy to do, just as old apps adopt the new look when running on a newer version of the OS, so they could switch looks as different themes are selected.

Plus, it would open up space for an entirely new category of AppStore sales: themes.

Anyway, wishful thinking, for the time being.

A sound post.

Phones are very much about fashion as they are functionality.

The new iPhone 5C is no accident.  The colours in iPhone 5S.  Similarly.  Perhaps somewhat overdue moves.  And I'll expect a bigger screen iPhone to compliment the range next year.

But yes, if Apple didn't move with the  times on it's iOS the competition can catch up and eclipse you.  You can run the risk of going from cool to unhip.

They don't want to be the only one wearing flares when every one else has moved to skinny jeans...

iOS 7, skinny jeans? ;)

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #38 of 48
I hate it. My 50 year old eyes have trouble seeing the new thinner font, especially when print is small. Also Apple got too swipe happy, as it's too easy to swipe to a different screen, in error when you don't intend to. Also looks terrible on a 4S, screen too small, and screen is slightly truncated, can't see it all until you scroll slightly, so you have to get a 5. Hardly backward compatible. Be warned before you upgrade to iOS 7.
post #39 of 48
Hi Neil,

i think your lock screen background image is awesome. do you mind to share it in original size?

nice article btw, thanks,

ciniko
post #40 of 48

Overall I really like iOS 7, especially the intuitive pull down/up/swipe menus, but I can't help but feel that the "Jony Ive's" modern animations between screen changes, and maybe the new font, will quickly become the "skeuomorphisms" of the future. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Transitioning from iOS 6 to Apple's overhauled iOS 7