or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO Tim Cook on cheap smartphones: 'We're not in the junk business'

Apple CEO Tim Cook on cheap smartphones: 'We're not in the junk business' - Page 2

post #41 of 208
Absolutely. "We're not in the junk business." Ram this down the throat of every stupid banalyst who's whining that Apple isn't contesting the crap segments of the smartphone market. Apple never has and never ever will let their name be associated with unmitigated pieces of shit products. That's not how they came to be so successful and profitable.
post #42 of 208
In other words: frack you, pos analysts.
post #43 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Buying the iPhone 5C instead of 5S is like buying last year MacBook Air or Pro for only $100-$200 cheaper than this year model. And with a plastic case instead of aluminum. Would you buy it? Of course not!

No it is not. It is like buying last years Macbook Air or Pro for $150 to $400 dollars cheaper (assuming the Macbook Air starts at $999). I might take that deal. Many people buy the following year's model cars at the end of the year even after new models are released. This is because you get a discount on the previous year's model cars. The discount is not crazy either. Ten to fifteen percent. That is about the same you are getting with the iPhone. Except in this instance, the iPhone based on the previous year's tech is packaged differently with some slight improvements. For what it is worth, the iPhone 5 is still a premium handset in terms of performance. 

post #44 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, THAT explains where that other image came from.

Can I just say **** Businessweek for that cover story headline. Instead of just presenting the interview with Cook and Co. we get bullshit editorializing. Of course that headline just wreaks of a rhetorical question, and with the article itself being all about Android it's as if Businessweek is saying "yes Apple you should be worried". What a waste of getting access to Apple execs. 1rolleyes.gif
post #45 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Apple managed to reduce the iPod concept to the super-cheap iPod shuffle. I guess it's a lot easier to do that with a music player than a phone/computer/camera/video player/music player/etc. 

Inexpensive is not spelled with a "c"

post #46 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

No it is not. It is like buying last years Macbook Air or Pro for $150 to $400 dollars cheaper (assuming the Macbook Air starts at $999). I might take that deal. Many people buy the following year's model cars at the end of the year even after new models are released. This is because you get a discount on the previous year's model cars. The discount is not crazy either. Ten to fifteen percent. That is about the same you are getting with the iPhone. Except in this instance, the iPhone based on the previous year's tech is packaged differently with some slight improvements. For what it is worth, the iPhone 5 is still a premium handset in terms of performance. 
Yep. Read AnandTech's iPhone 5S review and in a lot of the benchmark tests the 5/5C out performs other flagship devices.
post #47 of 208
Quote:

Buying the iPhone 5C instead of 5S is like buying last year MacBook Air or Pro for only $100-$200 cheaper than this year model. And with a plastic case instead of aluminum. Would you buy it? Of course not!

Can't wait to see in a couple weeks how wrong you are!

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #48 of 208
Quote:

Nice way to create even more anti Apple sentiments. Not very smart this Cook. He's not even original.

Who cares. Apple already has the neganalysts attacking it.

So only Jobs can say that thought?
Quote:

We're techies. Newbies and android refugees would love the C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

No, I do
No, I don't think switching to a plastic case would save $150. But using last years tech in a plastic case would certainly be $150 cheaper if not more.

I feel that Apple is being unnecessarily greedy with the iPhone 5C.

The iPhone 5S is a bargain.

If you have the extra $100, get the 5S. If not, get the 5C. In either case, it's a win-win for Apple. As for being greedy, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
post #49 of 208
Meanwhile, Mixpanel is showing iOS 7 adoption rate now around 30%. That's 30% in about 16 hours. 1eek.gif

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-2,to_date:0
post #50 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

No you wouldn't buy it. Because you forget one thing, the PLASTIC CASE! You wouldn't buy last year Macbook Air with a plastic case! Never! Didn't Apple had until a few years ago a cheap plastic MacBook, and they get rid of it? I'm wondering why...

post #51 of 208
Quote:

Nice way to create even more anti Apple sentiments. Not very smart this Cook. He's not even original.

Who gives a hoot. Do you think the anti-Apple sentiment will go away if they act like a bunch of nice guys? Get real.

Glad to see them showing some guts, for a change. Let's hope that they stick with it, and that it also gets reflected in their advertising strategy. 

post #52 of 208
Quote:

You don't understand consumers like Apple understands consumers. A great device is just 50% of the appeal. It's about the ECOSYSTEM. Apps, ways to connect, ways to enjoy (and even to create) content.

The iPhone is a great-looking, reliably-functioning, well-made *gateway* to that ecosystem, known for unmatched User Experience. iOS is iOS.

Make a slightly cheaper iPhone with current hardware, make them in different colours, make them look great, ship em with iOS 7, and you've got . . . SALES.

It's genius. Yet so simple. Like all genius. 

Blow up the iPod to several times the screen size. Call it the iPad. Create a new category of apps for it. Turn the industry on its ear almost overnight. 

Genius. Yet so simple. Like all genius. 
post #53 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I love it when I here Apple is "Greedy" or "Apple Tax"
Greedy is a perspective one holds on somebody else's behavior. You can't call another wrong because his opinion differs with yours.
Quote:
It is not that Apple is over priced it is that the competition is in a race to the bottom for 5% profit or less per unit.
Baloney. The competition got wiped out by iPhone, until iPhone many of these companies where very profitable. As it is Samsung is the only company effectively competing (stealing from) with Apple and they have good margins. The likes of Nokia, RIM and Motorola did not race to the bottom at all, rather they had the rug pulled out from beneath them and landed flat on their faces.
Quote:
Apple does not fall for the pressure of the competition to compete for "junk".
Nobody is asking Apple to make junk, I'm not sure where this idea comes from. The point here is that Apple doesn't benefit t in the long term from excessively high margins.
Quote:
I here how people talking about there 3rd or 4th generation back device like the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s with the latest iOS 7 on said device and how happy they are.

Do you hear that about Samsung, Black Berry or HTC?
Nope and why not? HTC and RIM are both on the ropes and so beaten that they can hardly get viable product out the door. Samsung just doesn't care.
Quote:
That alone speaks VOLUMES about the quality of Apple devices.
Actually it says nothing, many of these companies, that is RIM, HTC, Nokia, Motorola and whomever simply missed the boat when Apple showed the world what the world really wanted in a smart phone. Before iPhone, products from RIM and Motorola where held in high regard. These companies where destroyed not by Apples quality but rather by functionality that they simply couldn't duplicate. Overnight the iPhones operating system invalidated the approaches used by all of these companies. Let's face it iPhone ones hard ware wasn't breathtaking in hardware and neither where the 3G series.
Quote:
So when fan boys are ripping Apple for not producing a device designed to last 2 years or less take into account they are only doing so because the product they use on a daily basis is no where to quality level that Apple produces.
Margins have zero impact on how long a device lasts in this business.
Quote:
I believe you can't copy quality because if you are copying some other companies product in the first place you already have a lack of innovation or creativity and are always following and never leading nor will you ever.
Quality is something that is built in, functionality gets copied. If you reword this to use functionality instead of quality I'd be tempted to agree with your points.

Think of it this way, back in the day the functionality of the PC BIOS was copied. The quality of those efforts varied widely. More interestingly, these efforts to copy functionality did lead to a lot of innovation, yeah they followed IBM for a bit bent that didn't last forever. Nor did IBMs PC business for that matter.
Quote:
Look at all phones in the last 4-5 years, 75% of all the true inovation has come from Apple and the 5s in no different with real useable fingerprint tech and complete 64bit. 
Yep which justifies the stiff margins on the flagship model. This discussion is more about the pricing of the 5c than anything.
Quote:
Now with in the next 6 months every MFG and Android will offer the same specs but again it will not be as fluid and polished like Apple products because..... they will be copying instead of leading.
No it will suck because they are running Android
Quote:
Done with my rant, thanks for reading...flame away

Nobody is going to flame away but I have to point out that you have misconceptions about the concept of quality. Quality does not go away just because you shave a few percentages off your margins. Further Apple did not destroy most of the cell phone market with quality, at least not with the initial iPhones and the first few iOS releases. They beat the hell out of the market with functionality that nobody could match. This is huge with respect to understanding why Apple has been able to stay ahead for so long, all that functionality rolled into a pocketable device was a massive game changer.
post #54 of 208
They're correct. Cheap works sort of. Apple shoots 4the moon, then Jupiter, the stars.

That is what innovation is all about. Not just slapping out junk that works, sort of (to repeat).

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

post #55 of 208
Quote:

"We don't ship junk."

~ Steve Jobs, 2007.

We've seen the market results of that sentiment. 

I'll let you read the Apple quarterly reports and consumer satisfaction reports since then, at your leisure. 
post #56 of 208
Quote:

Original?  wtf stupid comment is that?  What should he do be the first CEO to wear a clown makeup.  Oh wait, leona helmsley did that.

I like these comments.  Like folks troll CEO and financial news before buying a phone.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #57 of 208
Quote:

Sometimes I can't tell if comments like this are parody or not.

Seriously, you are missing the entire appeal of the 5C.  It has nothing to do with price, and it has nothing to with specs.  Apple saw that there were people who wanted a color phone.  Personally, I don't get it, but there are lots of people who jump at the chance.

People on tech sites always mis-assess Apple products when they are announced, because they think like techies and not like general consumers.  Next time you see someone with an iPhone on the street ask him or her if the phone has an A5 or an A6, and how much RAM it has.

Sure, we know that stuff.  Your average consumer couldn't care less, and has no idea what most of that stuff means anyways.

And to be honest, you're high on meth if you think Apple won't sell a quadrillion of these things.
post #58 of 208

Cool photo, and it's good that they're presenting as a team.  Too much focus on Cook just invites the "he's not Steve Jobs" comments that anyone with a brain know are true, but irrelevant.

I think they could do themselves a favour by dropping the "junk" comments though.  Feature phones have their place, and they're not junk just because they can't do Core Animation.  A lot of cell phone users need a phone, they don't need a computer in their pocket, so cheaper non-smartphones meet their need fully.  Describing those phones collectively as junk just makes Apple execs look elitist, and a bit trashy at the same time.

censored

censored

post #59 of 208
"Nobody is asking Apple to make junk, I'm not sure where this idea comes from. The point here is that Apple doesn't benefit t in the long term from excessively high margins."

Define "excessively high". Starbucks makes high margins on every cup of coffee it sells. Can they last?

The avg customer doesn't care about margins. They only care if the device does what it wants it to do.
post #60 of 208
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I think they could do themselves a favour by dropping the "junk" comments though.  Feature phones have their place…

Apple doesn’t make feature phones, nor are they trying to. They’ve made no comment as to feature phones; they’re talking about smartphones.

Describing those phones collectively as junk just makes Apple execs look elitist, and a bit trashy at the same time.

Again, Apple made no comment as to those phones. Stop the FUD. Maybe even read the page title, for heaven’s sake.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #61 of 208
If any premium brand came out with a lost cost alternative it would sell not only in emerging markets but in all markets. Tim is completely correct in straying from this path as it starts the race to the bottom. Very few companies can turn back. The Ferrari Dino and Porsche 914 come to mind because I am a car guy.
post #62 of 208
Quote:

No you wouldn't buy it. Because you forget one thing, the PLASTIC CASE! You wouldn't buy last year Macbook Air with a plastic case! Never! Didn't Apple had until a few years ago a cheap plastic MacBook, and they get rid of it? I'm wondering why...

Plastic cases are a great advantage for phones.  They are more durable and won't scratch as easily.  Plus they come in fun colors that would be almost impossible with metal.

If you hold the 5C you will know its not cheap.  Its more like ceramic art than plastic.

post #63 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Hey I care but the fact remains Apple makes a massive profit on each iPhone sold. Right now they basically sell everything they make which means they are under no pressure to adjust prices. That is good for now but being greedy is never perceived well in the long run.

Here I'm not saying that Apple needs to offer up a dirt cheap limited quality iPhone, rather I'm saying that something like iPhone5c needs to be priced with more reasonable margins. High margins should be reserved for flagship models.

On the other hand I have just installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and iPad 3 and all I have to say is nice job Apple! 😛😛😛😛. Obviously both pieces of hardware are getting on in age but even so performance is not that bad at all. The only problem I have with Apple is that they need to focus on functionality. Many apps got a facelift but not the sort of functionality improvements they need. Looking at Notes in particular and Contacts too. On the other hand moving the text input cursor around has never been this good.

What I'm trying to say is that iOS and Apples stewardship of the platform is certainly worth a little extra Apple "tax". So better margins than the industry standard is good. However so good that you start to look greedy isn't so good.
Quality supersedes your perception of 'greed'. As the rest dive into the pool of junk, Apple soars!

post #64 of 208
"What I'm trying to say is that iOS and Apples stewardship of the platform is certainly worth a little extra Apple "tax". So better margins than the industry standard is good. However so good that you start to look greedy isn't so good."

You keep waffling, writing about "greedy" etc. You are a whiner. Like some YOU want to be in charge because YOU know what the public wants. I doubt that at all. Get a Galaxy 10 or something to satisfy yourself.
post #65 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple doesn’t make feature phones, nor are they trying to. They’ve made no comment as to feature phones; they’re talking about smartphones.

Again, Apple made no comment as to those phones. Stop the FUD. Maybe even read the page title, for heaven’s sake.

Seriously, FUD?  Look up the meaning of the word and tell me how my post was any of those three things.

Feature phones, smart phones, don't really care.  Collectively describing sections of the market where you have no presence as junk lacks class.  It exists, you're not going there, that's all you need to say.

censored

censored

post #66 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

If any premium brand came out with a lost cost alternative it would sell not only in emerging markets but in all markets. Tim is completely correct in straying from this path as it starts the race to the bottom. Very few companies can turn back. The Ferrari Dino and Porsche 914 come to mind because I am a car guy.

exactly.

Apple's brand image is literally worth $200,000,000,000.  You don't cheapen the brand by selling a $300 phone.

Also there is ZERO profits in $300-$400 phones.  Nokia/LG/Lenovo/ZTE/Huawai combined sell well over 100,000,000 phones a year. The vast majority of their phones are mid-level or lower $300-$400.  And they make ZERO profit.  Why would Apple want to do that?

The incremental cost of a 5C is only about $5 more a month spread over 2 years.  I'm sorry but at this point Apple is not too concern about customers who are concern over $5 a month.

In the China the upper-middle class is growing like wild-fire.  It is estimated that by 2020 there will be over 500,000,000 Chinese with incomes in the 20k-40k range.  A range that is willing to buy premium smartphones.  Instead of following the masses in China, Apple will patiently wait as the masses in China come to Apple.  But of course short-term ANALyst have no time for such long-term plans.

post #67 of 208

Apple CEO Tim Cook on cheap smartphones:

'We're not in the junk business'

Larry to The L Team: See, I told ya! We can still sell more android based junks and craps out there!!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #68 of 208

Feature phones, smart phones, don't really care.

Really? Because it’s sort of the point. You should care.

Collectively describing sections of the market where you have no presence as junk…

Ah, so Apple doesn’t make a smartphone. I see.

post #69 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Plastic cases are a great advantage for phones.  They are more durable and won't scratch as easily.  Plus they come in fun colors that would be almost impossible with metal.

If you hold the 5C you will know its not cheap.  Its more like ceramic art than plastic.

Have you actually held the 5C in your hand?
post #70 of 208

"Section" of the market.  They don't make a cheap one.  That's straight from the article, so maybe you should read it.

Not engaging with you any more if you're going to insist on being a dick about everything.

censored

censored

post #71 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Apple managed to reduce the iPod concept to the super-cheap iPod shuffle. I guess it's a lot easier to do that with a music player than a phone/computer/camera/video player/music player/etc. 

It is. A music player can have 1 feature, a smart phone cannot.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #72 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's the cover pic. Man I'm glad I'm ignoring tech sites this week. I can only imagine the coverage and comments, especially after this article. lol.gif

11cavxg.jpg

It's a great cover.

post #73 of 208
"Section" of the market.  They don't make a cheap one.

And Samsung has the highest rated cable primetime drama with a multi-ethnic cast at 9 PM!

Arbitrary restrictions are just a kinder way of moving the goalposts.

post #74 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Ya gotta stick to your core.  I'm glad to hear Tim say that that's exactly what they are doing.

The point is Apple has gone for cheaper in terms of casing - but that's not reflected in the price.

How many times have posters on this board dismissed Android or Windows phones as being 'cheap plastic crap'? A U-turn as far as plastic goes.

Now the iPhone 5c brings the worst of both worlds. Plastic casing ...  but ... same premium prices. Exactly the same prices they've always charged for last year's technology. 

Nobody is expecting any Apple product to be dirt cheap, but instead of using plastic savings to get a bit more competitive on price, Apple is using it to bolster their already healthy profit margins.
post #75 of 208

Apple can keep marking there prizes the way they do, simply because there is a demand for the the devices they price.

And why is that ? Coz they happen to be the company bringing technology in a way that's highly valued by its customers.

They take the risks, and make those bold moves the rest wouldn't venture into. They can keep pricing there devices at what it's priced as long as they stay innovative and stay cutting edge, and more importantly keep leading the tech industry, playing the role of that Shepard.

post #76 of 208
Quote:

Seriously, FUD?  Look up the meaning of the word and tell me how my post was any of those three things.

Feature phones, smart phones, don't really care.  Collectively describing sections of the market where you have no presence as junk lacks class.  It exists, you're not going there, that's all you need to say.

They aren't describing sections of the market.  They are describing products that are sub-standard.

Yes, Apple could sell a gazillion models of everything, from the bottom of the price range to the top.  But that's not what the company is about.  That's not how they got to where they are.  I was very worried about the 5C, because I was convinced it would be (relatively) inexpensive, and thus would damage the brand.  Thankfully, that's not what happened.  They made a quality phone, with excellent build quality (according to the reviews I've read), that simply appeals to a segment of the market that they hadn't appealed to yet (people who want color phones).

What they didn't do is make "junk."  And let's face it: A lot of mobile phones out there are just that.  Bad build quality, poor components, all thrown together in a race to the bottom.

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.
post #77 of 208
It just turned out the shuffle was "cheap." Cheap was not their goal. Hooray for Apple.
post #78 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

The point is Apple has gone for cheaper in terms of casing - but that's not reflected in the price.

How many times have posters on this board dismissed Android or Windows phones as being 'cheap plastic crap'? A U-turn as far as plastic goes.

Now the iPhone 5c brings the worst of both worlds. Plastic casing ...  but ... same premium prices. Exactly the same prices they've always charged for last year's technology. 

Nobody is expecting any Apple product to be dirt cheap, but instead of using plastic savings to get a bit more competitive on price, Apple is using it to bolster their already healthy profit margins.

Have you actually read any reviews of the 5C?  Like at Anandtech?  Go ahead, it is on the front page.

This is not a "cheap plastic casing" (unlike some other unnamed companies use).  It's a high quality polycarbonate casing.  And the reason they used it is not to cut costs.  The reason is because some people apparently want a phone in some bright color.  And there's no real evidence that this housing is all that much cheaper than the one the 5S uses.

Now, if Apple had thrown some POS together, with some crap plastic?  I would agree with you.  But that's not what happened.
post #79 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

No, I do
No, I don't think switching to a plastic case would save $150. But using last years tech in a plastic case would certainly be $150 cheaper if not more.

I feel that Apple is being unnecessarily greedy with the iPhone 5C.

The iPhone 5S is a bargain.

5S a bargain or 5C is expensive?

5C seems expensive to me - iPod touch 32GB $299, iPhone 5C 32GB $649. $350 extra to add in phone functionality!

post #80 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

False !
Apple had to revamp the iPhone, cause the regular consumer wanted to buy tech that's released this year, and not a years old tech.
Hence they did make minor improvements to the 5C in terms of the LTE bands, and even reduced it's weight by going with a plastic case.
And in the process bringing in vibrant color options. There is a cost involved in re-designing a phone, changing its Aluminum / glass structure to plastic.. There's R&D effort that goes into it.. If you notice, they have an antenna system lined across the internals of the plastic body. 
Hence it's not as simple as you saying, got rid of the aluminum / glass and moved to plastic case, which cost cheaper.
If you hold onto a 5C you'll still feel it's got a very premium feel to it.. They even go with the Uni-Body design making it sturdy and something that feels premium when held. Hence there's a cost involved to all that production techniques / R&D. 

Hence altough a plastic case, it doesn't feel cheap like the rest of the plastic phones in the market.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple CEO Tim Cook on cheap smartphones: 'We're not in the junk business'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO Tim Cook on cheap smartphones: 'We're not in the junk business'