or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NFC-free Google Wallet debuts on Apple's iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NFC-free Google Wallet debuts on Apple's iPhone

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Google on Thursday released its Wallet transaction service for Apple's iPhone, giving users the ability to transfer money and store loyalty cards on their smartphone.

Wallet


The debut of Google Wallet comes as the search giant has switched it service away from reliance on near-field communications for its services. Previously, Google Wallet was only available on select NFC-capable Android smartphones, and was used for contact-less payment.

Apple has not embraced NFC technology, and instead has turned to Bluetooth Low Energy for short-range secure wireless connectivity. For example, the new AirDrop feature in iOS 7 uses Bluetooth to scan for nearby devices, before automatically switching to Wi-Fi for a faster file transfer.

Google Wallet was updated for devices running Android 2.3 or later earlier this week, granting functionality to all handsets whether or not they feature NFC connectivity. To date, adoption of Google Wallet has been low, partially because of the lack of NFC-capable payment kiosks, but also because U.S. carriers have banned Google's payment service in favor of their own forthcoming offering, dubbed ISIS.

The new Google Wallet for both iOS and all Android devices gives users the ability to transfer money to another user's email address, similar to PayPal. Money transfers through Google Wallet are free, and can also be sent through Gmail.

In addition to credit and debit cards, Google Wallet for iOS also allows users to store loyalty programs. Offers at specific stores can be redeemed through the application.

Google Wallet also has PIN security, 24/7 fraud monitoring, and "Purchase Protection." If a user's iPhone is lost or stolen, the Google Wallet application can be disabled online.

The new application is an 8.6-megabyte download that requires iOS 6.0 or later. It's compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and is optimized for the 4-inch display on the iPhone 5, 5c and 5s.
post #2 of 39
i will definitely add this app to the long list of google apps i don't ever use.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #3 of 39
Why I should use this instead of passbook ?
post #4 of 39
having an issue downloading it
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Why I should use this instead of passbook ?

 

Pretty different use case.  Not sure it's a particularly good one, but there's definitely stuff you can do with Google Wallet that you can't do with Passbook (and vice versa).  It's more like PayPal.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Pretty different use case.  Not sure it's a particularly good one, but there's definitely stuff you can do with Google Wallet that you can't do with Passbook (and vice versa).  It's more like PayPal.

Seems like a digital Western Union.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #7 of 39

This can compete with Passbook on many levels, but only until Apple adds Touch ID to payment systems. At that moment, Apple will take a huge leap forward, and Googles Wallet won´t be able to follow. That is unless Apple opens the TouchID to developers through SDK. 

 

If I was Mastercard or VISA, I would be very worried right about now - as two giants are about to crash head-on into their market.

post #8 of 39
NFC is dead for sure now. Apple was correct in this just as they were about Flash. Amazing
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
 

This can compete with Passbook on many levels, but only until Apple adds Touch ID to payment systems. At that moment, Apple will take a huge leap forward, and Googles Wallet won´t be able to follow. That is unless Apple opens the TouchID to developers through SDK. 

 

If I was Mastercard or VISA, I would be very worried right about now - as two giants are about to crash head-on into their market.

 

How does this make a difference?    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still have to go through the payment processor to make a payment and it still has to come out of some account?  Even if you don't have the funds transfer from a credit card account, most debit cards are Mastercard or VISA branded and they collect transaction fees, which are actually higher on debits than they are on charges.

 

It's like all those devices you can attach to your smartphone to accept credit card payments.   All those go through a processor for which you pay fees.   

 
Unless Google and Apple are going to create their own banks (I actually could see Google wanting to do this), I don't see how this negatively impacts MC or Visa.    The only way to get around MC and VISA (and the others) is to do what PayPal has done, but even PayPal also accepts credit card payments these days.    
 
What am I missing?
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabauer View Post

having an issue downloading it

Because that's your 2nd post!

post #11 of 39
I also just saw that Capital One has pulled out of Isis, the carrier's NFC platform. PayPal is using BLE beacons instead of NFC. Over.
post #12 of 39
Its a good thing that we here in Canada don't buy anything, use email, have money, credit cards or loyalty programs like in the United States. Whew, dodged this bullet.
post #13 of 39
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

How does this make a difference?    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still have to go through the payment processor to make a payment and it still has to come out of some account?  Even if you don't have the funds transfer from a credit card account, most debit cards are Mastercard or VISA branded and they collect transaction fees, which are actually higher on debits than they are on charges.

 

If it's like PayPal, which others seem to be likening it to, then you don't have to have a Visa / Mastercharge. All you need is a bank account. PayPal just negotiates a EBT on your behalf.

post #14 of 39

Why don't the banks just put a scanner in their apps? Then we can just scan with their app or with passbook too. C'mon Chase. 

post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

If I was Mastercard or VISA, I would be very worried right about now - as two giants are about to crash head-on into their market.

Why? You're still using your credit card.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #16 of 39
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To date, adoption of Google Wallet has been low, partially because of the lack of NFC-capable payment kiosks, but also because U.S. carriers have banned Google's payment service in favor of their own forthcoming offering, dubbed ISIS.

 

Peet's Coffee and Teas has had a Google Wallet sticker near their cash registers for years.

I have never seen anybody use Google Wallet to buy anything in any Peet's store.

And I guess I never will, now that there's ISIS.  Good.

 

 

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Google Wallet for both iOS and all Android devices gives users the ability to transfer money to another user's email address, similar to PayPal. Money transfers through Google Wallet are free, and can also be sent through Gmail.

 

Falling back to an ancient technology that they know everybody uses.  Email.  LOL.

And speaking of PayPal, are they looking into some kind of iWallet app or integration?

 

 

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Wallet also has PIN security, 24/7 fraud monitoring, and "Purchase Protection." If a user's iPhone is lost or stolen, the Google Wallet application can be disabled online.

 

Google will need to ramp up their fraud monitoring staff.  Tons and tons of malware on Google Play.

Maybe that's the real reasons the carriers are backing their own ISIS payment service.

Because you simply can't trust apps on Google Play.  And because Google doesn't care about malware.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
 

 

How does this make a difference?    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still have to go through the payment processor to make a payment and it still has to come out of some account?  Even if you don't have the funds transfer from a credit card account, most debit cards are Mastercard or VISA branded and they collect transaction fees, which are actually higher on debits than they are on charges.

 

 

In almost all cases (in every case I have seen as a merchant), transaction charges for debit cards done with a signature are much lower than credit cards done the same way.  PIN debit transactions are usually even lower.

 

For a company I am now consulting with, their recent quote for debit signature transactions was .7% lower than the cheapest tier of credit card transactions.   For my own company, the difference is about .5% (due to my business, the rates I have are lower than this company I am consulting with).

 

The main reason for this is that debit transactions are guaranteed funds, not a loan.

post #18 of 39

Not really sure I'd want Google to have a record of every purchase/transaction I make.  But that's just me.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to credit and debit cards, Google Wallet for iOS also allows users to store loyalty programs. Offers at specific stores can be redeemed through the application.

 

Passbook in iOS 7 already has this.  Right down to being able to scan bar codes from my keychain of existing points/reward cards (Best Buy Reward Zone, grocery store "gas points" cards, etc.) that I used to have to carry around.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

 

PIN debit transactions are usually even lower.

 

PIN debit transactions give you almost no protection against fraudulent use, correct?  If so, they should be cheaper.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeintosh View Post

Its a good thing that we here in Canada don't buy anything, use email, have money, credit cards or loyalty programs like in the United States. Whew, dodged this bullet.

hey, when the canucks lost the cup a couple years ago we slipped alanis morissette back under the border as a consolation prize ... don't get greedy.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #21 of 39
But but but ... NFC! C'mon Fandroids, even your employer doesn't think NFC has a future or can't force pioneering companies to accept it.
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

 

PIN debit transactions give you almost no protection against fraudulent use, correct?  If so, they should be cheaper.

 

Don't know in the US, but a PIN transaction in the EU is specifically authorised for that amount either by the bank, or for Moneo/Proton/GeldKard style cards by the on-card chip, and so the merchant is fully guaranted to get that amount less the rate. Customer is protected by his PIN as long that one is secret. 3 errors in a row even on different terminals will lock the card. Transaction is final and cannot be overturned.

 

This is the best protection for both customer and merchant.

post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And speaking of PayPal, are they looking into some kind of iWallet app or integration?

I think Paypal already has a "digital wallet" on both iOS and Android.

Edit: Yes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paypal/id283646709?mt=8
and yes.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paypal.android.p2pmobile&hl=en
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But but but ... NFC! C'mon Fandroids, even your employer doesn't think NFC has a future or can't force pioneering companies to accept it.

My last employer used it in our employee badges to control access to the building. NFC and RFID are everywhere and aren't going away anytime soon. Whether NFC is needed on a smartphone is certainly debatable though. I'd say that the vast majority of people with phones that have NFC capabilities have never used their phone in that way.
post #25 of 39

No way I would use any Google payment "service" - ever.

 

They would feed information on all my purchases into their databases and sell it to anybody who will pay for it. No thanks!

 

If the product is free, you are the product.  

post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

NFC is dead for sure now. Apple was correct in this just as they were about Flash. Amazing

 

The next iPhone will have NFC.

post #27 of 39
Why do I now have to constantly log in on my iPad? 1hmm.gif
Just more info grab from Goonal. Never! Is my motto, Goonberg.1oyvey.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


hey, when the canucks lost the cup a couple years ago we slipped alanis morissette back under the border as a consolation prize ... don't get greedy.
 

Yeah thanks.  Still suffering that one.

post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

My last employer used it in our employee badges to control access to the building. NFC and RFID are everywhere and aren't going away anytime soon. Whether NFC is needed on a smartphone is certainly debatable though. I'd say that the vast majority of people with phones that have NFC capabilities have never used their phone in that way.

I did mean NFC on smart phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The next iPhone will have NFC.

Haven't you said this for the last three years. NFC on phones is all but dead. Apple is moving on with other tech.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Why? You're still using your credit card.

 

Because there is limitation to charges in % that retailer can bare. Consumers will want this new way of payment and credit card institutions will simply have to share the income to the companies that didn't have like 40 years and did almost nothing to improve their service as they had, but rather choose to cash in only few years of development. This is why.

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

NFC is dead for sure now. Apple was correct in this just as they were about Flash. Amazing

 

Almost every store and shop I go into now days has the NFC capable point of sale systems. I will be sure to tell their manager that allenbf said this is dead and they should rip it off the counter.

 

That is too bad because I use NFC wallet everyday. I guess there is no room in this world for technology that does not come from Apple.

post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post

Almost every store and shop I go into now days has the NFC capable point of sale systems. I will be sure to tell their manager that allenbf said this is dead and they should rip it off the counter.

That is too bad because I use NFC wallet everyday. I guess there is no room in this world for technology that does not come from Apple.

Oh there will still be a few players using it for a while yet. But when Apple, PayPal and others roll out BLE in full, it will be just like Flash.
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post

Almost every store and shop I go into now days has the NFC capable point of sale systems. I will be sure to tell their manager that allenbf said this is dead and they should rip it off the counter.

That is too bad because I use NFC wallet everyday. I guess there is no room in this world for technology that does not come from Apple.

There is room. Just don't expect Apple to add them to cross them off a feature checklist.
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Because there is limitation to charges in % that retailer can bare. Consumers will want this new way of payment and credit card institutions will simply have to share the income to the companies that didn't have like 40 years and did almost nothing to improve their service as they had, but rather choose to cash in only few years of development. This is why.

Since when has there been a limitation? How long have credit cards been in use that there's now a limitation that a retailer can handle? Any app you use will still require a credit/debit card.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I did mean NFC on smart phones.
Haven't you said this for the last three years. NFC on phones is all but dead. Apple is moving on with other tech.

No but I've spent time dispelling the sour-grapes-based misconceptions here about NFC. I believe I've also said that Apple would use NFC eventually. Now I'm predicting that the next iPhone will have NFC. Between the uselessness of Passbook, which is begging for NFC payment capability, and the integration of a fingerprint scanner for security in the 5S, Apple has laid the foundation for implementing NFC in the next full redesign.
post #36 of 39

Google will abandon NFC...they dont need it, nobody really cared to use it. Google Wallet will compete in a way that PayPal didn't. You dont see PayPal partnering with retail stores to offer local delivery service right? It turns out you need Google Wallet for that...at least for the pilot program in the SF Bay Area known as Google Shopping Express.

 

From what I have seen so far, people are really really really using that service. The Target store I was at today had a ton of couriers waiting to pick up customer deliveries.

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

 

PIN debit transactions give you almost no protection against fraudulent use, correct?  If so, they should be cheaper.

 

Don't know in the US, but a PIN transaction in the EU is specifically authorised for that amount either by the bank, or for Moneo/Proton/GeldKard style cards by the on-card chip, and so the merchant is fully guaranted to get that amount less the rate. Customer is protected by his PIN as long that one is secret. 3 errors in a row even on different terminals will lock the card. Transaction is final and cannot be overturned.

 

This is the best protection for both customer and merchant.

 

If someone looking over your shoulder watches what PIN you entered and subsequently steals your wallet, they can empty your account without recourse.  That's why I don't use PIN transactions.  (And because I don't live in Europe, I don't have to.)

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I also just saw that Capital One has pulled out of Isis, the carrier's NFC platform. PayPal is using BLE beacons instead of NFC. Over.

 

Funny how it's not over now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

NFC is dead for sure now. Apple was correct in this just as they were about Flash. Amazing

 

Boy were you so wrong about this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But but but ... NFC! C'mon Fandroids, even your employer doesn't think NFC has a future or can't force pioneering companies to accept it.

 

NFC is the new hot thing right now. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 

 

The next iPhone will have NFC.

 

Can I borrow your crystal ball since you knew this already and was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


I did mean NFC on smart phones.
Haven't you said this for the last three years. NFC on phones is all but dead. Apple is moving on with other tech.

 

Do you like being wrong. NFC is now on all phones including the new iPhones. Funny how wrong you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post
 

 

Almost every store and shop I go into now days has the NFC capable point of sale systems. I will be sure to tell their manager that allenbf said this is dead and they should rip it off the counter.

 

That is too bad because I use NFC wallet everyday. I guess there is no room in this world for technology that does not come from Apple.

 

Now NFC is going to be all over the place. This is a great thing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


Oh there will still be a few players using it for a while yet. But when Apple, PayPal and others roll out BLE in full, it will be just like Flash.

 

So, still waiting for BLE in full  while NFC is being used. Good job for being so wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


There is room. Just don't expect Apple to add them to cross them off a feature checklist.

 

Once again, Apple made you look like a fool. Looks to be on the checklist now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


No but I've spent time dispelling the sour-grapes-based misconceptions here about NFC. I believe I've also said that Apple would use NFC eventually. Now I'm predicting that the next iPhone will have NFC. Between the uselessness of Passbook, which is begging for NFC payment capability, and the integration of a fingerprint scanner for security in the 5S, Apple has laid the foundation for implementing NFC in the next full redesign.

 

Way to go with being right.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious G View Post
 

Google will abandon NFC...they dont need it, nobody really cared to use it. Google Wallet will compete in a way that PayPal didn't. You dont see PayPal partnering with retail stores to offer local delivery service right? It turns out you need Google Wallet for that...at least for the pilot program in the SF Bay Area known as Google Shopping Express.

 

From what I have seen so far, people are really really really using that service. The Target store I was at today had a ton of couriers waiting to pick up customer deliveries.


Wrong wrong wrong.

post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Funny how it's not over now.

Boy were you so wrong about this.


NFC is the new hot thing right now. 

Can I borrow your crystal ball since you knew this already and was right.

Do you like being wrong. NFC is now on all phones including the new iPhones. Funny how wrong you were.

Now NFC is going to be all over the place. This is a great thing.


So, still waiting for BLE in full  while NFC is being used. Good job for being so wrong.

Once again, Apple made you look like a fool. Looks to be on the checklist now.

Way to go with being right.



Wrong wrong wrong.

Wow. Way to go back to a dead thread. I did admit to being wrong on another thread. Plus Apple's version of NFC isn't a feature checklist addition. You really need a hobby.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NFC-free Google Wallet debuts on Apple's iPhone