or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google makes Quickoffice free on iOS, Disney brings 'Infinity: Toy Box' to iPad

Google makes Quickoffice free on iOS, Disney brings 'Infinity: Toy Box' to iPad

post #1 of 34
Google has made its Quickoffice suite free on iOS for users with Google accounts, and Disney has released an iPad companion app for its Disney Infinity console game.

Version 6.0 of the Google-owned Quickoffice productivity suite is now free for iOS users with a Google account. The new version works on iPhones, iPods, and iPads, and its icon has been tweaked to better fit the flat aesthetic of iOS 7.

Quickoffice allows users to create and edit Microsoft Office documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on iOS devices. Those files can then be accessed an shared through Google Drive folders and attached to emails. The app also lets users open and view PDF files.

In addition to taking the app free, Google has improved its integration with Google Drive. Quickoffice users now have access to up to 15GB of free storage on Google's cloud solution.

Quickoffice version 6.1.0 is a free download on the App Store. The 59.8MB app requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod running iOS 5.0 or later.

Disney Infinity gets companion iPad app

Disney has released Disney Infinity: Toy Box, a companion app for the iPad that ties into the company's console-based Disney Infinity game. The new app, promised when Disney first unveiled Infinity, is available for free for a limited time.

In Disney Infinity: Toy box, users get more than 50 free items to build a playground of sorts for their assorted characters to explore. Those items include terrain, track pieces, and assorted decorations. Users also get access to the Mr. Incredible character for free. Additional characters can be added using web codes included with physical toys or by making in-app purchases. Users can access more than 20 Disney and Disney/Pixar characters through the Toy Box app.

Notably, the app also allows users to log into a Disney Infinity account and to transfer anything created on the iPad over to the Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, or Wii U version of the game. It also includes a cross-platform syncing feature, allowing users to pick up where they left off on whichever platform they decide to game on.

Disney Infinity: Toy Box is available as a free download in the App Store until October 15. The game does feature in-app purchases. Weighing in at 1.23GB, the download requires an iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.
post #2 of 34
@Google: whatever

@Disney: COOL!
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #3 of 34
i will definitely add this to the long list of google apps i won't ever use.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to taking the app free, Google has improved its integration with Google Drive. Quickoffice users now have access to up to 15GB of free storage on Google's cloud solution.

Just a small correction: Quickoffice adds 10 gb of gdrive storage to the 15 gb that users already have (http://www.slashgear.com/quickoffice-liberated-for-ios-and-android-with-10gb-drive-sweetener-19298505/).  

post #5 of 34
Google apps on iOS are simply trojan horses. If you want to use anything google markets get their stupid phone otherwise protect yourself by never touching anything from google. There are alternatives for everything they sell.
Edited by rob53 - 9/19/13 at 1:44pm
post #6 of 34
I tried QuickOffice before Google got it's hands on it. I much preferred Office2 from Byte2 - much better interface and it works well with Dropbox.

Would prefer to use iWork/iCloud - will probably switch if Apple updates things so that iOS & Mac versions use the same file format.
post #7 of 34
Cannot believe Google are fragmenting their own Google Drive service! The whole reason I dropped MS and iWorks is for the pure cloud centric focus of Gdocs, drive etc. This now complicates things, like the difference between Chromebooks and Android based tablets/convertibles. Grrr! Or should that be, Googrrr!?

(Sorry Apple fans, iCloud is all wrong. Apple didn't try to buy DropBox for nothing.)
post #8 of 34

My guess is iWork will be free fairly soon for all Apple devices, iOs and OS X.  With iCloud integration, I may ditch MS Office.

Don't use Google products. Don't trust Google.

post #9 of 34
Just tried Quick Office. Utter garbage. Can't insert tables or pictures in word processor. No charts in spreadsheet. Not even worth downloading for free. I am going to delete it now.
post #10 of 34
I wonder if I can get a refund on the Quick Office I bought a few years ago.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder if I can get a refund on the Quick Office I bought a few years ago.

I want a refund on the $5 box of cereal I bought last week. Now it's a BOGO.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #12 of 34
I'm happy to see that QuickOffice is now priced at what it's worth.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'm happy to see that QuickOffice is now priced at what it's worth.

You mean the same price as iWork?

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i will definitely add this to the long list of google apps i won't ever use.

Ditto! Thanks but no thanks Google. Your Apps are clunky and disjointed. Reminds of MS in the 90's. Not to mention the privacy issues.

post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmanPak View Post

You mean the same price as iWork?

At first glance, a somewhat witty response. 

However, iWork is so superior to Google's "attempts!" :)
post #16 of 34

"Google has made its Quickoffice suite free on iOS for users"

Whogle?

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Google has made its Quickoffice suite free on iOS for users"

Whogle?

Whoregle
post #18 of 34
iWork is also free (on new phones)
post #19 of 34

Why, again, do I need to login with a Google account to activate the app?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It integrates with google drive.

post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It integrates with your privacy, and allows you to be tracked.

1wink.gif
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Whoregle

... rhymes with Oracle
post #23 of 34
Quote:

It integrates with your privacy, and allows you to be tracked.

1wink.gif

Yeah because your cell carrier isn't tracking you either.

post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

Yeah because your cell carrier isn't tracking you either.

Big difference, tho. Wouldn't you say Crusty ?
My cell carrier isn't in the business of selling ads ....
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Big difference, tho. Wouldn't you say Crusty ?
My cell carrier isn't in the business of selling ads ....

Don't be so sure. Who's your carrier, ATT?
http://adworks.att.com/mobile/

or maybe it's Verizon?
http://business.verizonwireless.com/content/b2b/en/precision/precision-market-insights.html

in fact the carriers' have been monetizing your data for years now. Even hated Google doesn't sell customer data like the carriers do.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/01/technology/verizon_att_sprint_tmobile_privacy/index.htm
post #26 of 34
Nah - I'm in NZ.1biggrin.gif
On ye olde vowdafone - they prefer to charge exorbitant monthly fees rather than to monetize through the use of third parties.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Nah - I'm in NZ.1biggrin.gif
On ye olde vowdafone - they prefer to charge exorbitant monthly fees rather than to monetize through the use of third parties.

Don't worry, you're not being left out. Even in NZ you have value 1wink.gif
http://www.businessinsider.com/vodafone-o2-and-ee-sell-customers-data-to-banks-2013-6

IMO you're better off if Google has your personal info. At least you know where it is. With the carrier's you can't be sure who they sold it to nor what it was used for.
post #28 of 34
lol - yea I know - The mongrels.
But I take a great deal of strength in knowing that my value to the bank is evidenced by my account balance. :-)

edit: jeez, just about Americas Cup time. Gotta go.
post #29 of 34
I've always found this stance of 'somebody else probably tracks you so you should just let Google do it as well' rather amusing.

Not only is that not the point, but it indicates seem kind of fatalistic acceptance that I cannot tolerate.

I don't care if it's a search engine company, a cell carrier, the NSA, or Gatorguy's mother that wants to track me. I do not want it happening unless I give them express permission.

And considering how many times Google's been caught with their hand in the cookie jar, let's just say they have an awful lot of work to do before I accept ANYTHING from them in the near future.

Send a clear message to Google.

Withdraw from using as many of their services as possible, and delete their apps off your devices, until they begin to show us a little goddamn decency and respect.
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO you're better off if Google has your personal info. At least you know where it is.

What kind of STUPID statement is THIS?
post #31 of 34
Quote:

I've always found this stance of 'somebody else probably tracks you so you should just let Google do it as well' rather amusing.

Not only is that not the point, but it indicates seem kind of fatalistic acceptance that I cannot tolerate.

I don't care if it's a search engine company, a cell carrier, the NSA, or Gatorguy's mother that wants to track me. I do not want it happening unless I give them express permission.

And considering how many times Google's been caught with their hand in the cookie jar, let's just say they have an awful lot of work to do before I accept ANYTHING from them in the near future.

Withdraw from using as many of their services as possible, and delete their apps off your devices, until they begin to show us a little goddamn decency and respect.

I wonder how the Find My IPhone feature works...

And good luck asking the NSA not to track you, LOL.

post #32 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO you're better off if Google has your personal info. At least you know where it is.

What kind of STUPID statement is THIS?

That similar to Schmidt's'
"If you don't want anyone to know what you're doing, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

I wonder how the Find My IPhone feature works...

And good luck asking the NSA not to track you, LOL.

You didn't address a single point in my post.

Please feel free to re-read it at your leisure.
post #34 of 34
Quote:

I only use Street View, when need be. And that is only at work. And I don't work a lot.

So, no, I don't use Google much. Maybe I should, as payback, since they sure as hell have been using me.

Ha! A new sig!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google makes Quickoffice free on iOS, Disney brings 'Infinity: Toy Box' to iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google makes Quickoffice free on iOS, Disney brings 'Infinity: Toy Box' to iPad