or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Worldwide iPhone 5s and 5c sales kick off at Australian Apple Stores [updated with video]

Worldwide iPhone 5s and 5c sales kick off at Australian Apple Stores [updated with video]

post #1 of 39
Sales of Apple's highly anticipated new iPhones have begun, with the first units hitting customers' hands in Australia just minutes ago, following online orders started earlier in the day.

Australian iPhones
Source: Ben Pasternak of BrandHitTech

In Australia, the local time is now 8:30 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 20, meaning the iPhone has officially gone on sale at the country's local Apple Stores. The country is the first to officially launch the handset ahead of an 11-country worldwide rollout.

Ben Pasternak was one of the first to receive both the iPhone 5c and 5s, which are pictured above. Lines were expectedly long at launch, though the purchasing process was said to have gone smoothly.

Apple's iPhones will be rolling out around the world on Friday, with 11 countries taking part in the launch, up from 9 in 2012's iPhone 5 debut. Following Australia, customers in Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK and US will be able to place orders through the Online Apple Store, or brave lines at brick-and-mortar locations.

While iPhone 5c preorders have been live for one week, supply of the iPhone 5s is thought to be severely constrained. When sales of the 5s kicked off online in Australia, it was already showing a 7 to 10 day lead time compared to 1 to 3 days for the 5c. This is not to say the situation will be identical in other countries, though the pushed back delivery dates offer some vision into Apple's channel inventory.
post #2 of 39
Gold iPhone 5s's have been extremely rare. The carriers have none and most Apple stores seem to have been given 5 of each capacity, so only the first 5-10 people in the queue got them.

Will be interesting to see how the rest of the world pans out.
post #3 of 39
Already got mine, syncing it now.

Interesting, capacity shows as 59.61 GB, my old 5 was 57
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #4 of 39

What kind/color did you get? Any indication on how availability was? How long did you have to wait in line? Sorry for all the questions, but curious minds want to know!

post #5 of 39
Online store in the UK was 7-10 business days on the 5s from the moment it went live.
post #6 of 39
Was at Castle Towers in Sydney. I heard someone 10th in line be told the days allocation of Gold in all capacities was exhausted. It's possible they had none at all and were not saying. Then again, if you were first in line and they had no Gold you would be angry. Maybe they had two of each.

FWIW: I was about 60th in line. Got a Space Gray 16GB.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by weejock View Post

Online store in the UK was 7-10 business days on the 5s from the moment it went live.

Yep, same in Germany (and 1-3 days for all 5C models). But that is still quite good compared to the times carriers are quoting here (e.g. T-Mobile Germany quotes 5-6 weeks for the gold 32 GB model)...

post #8 of 39
Remember those stories about how the gold color would be a failure, that it wouldn't sell even in China?
post #9 of 39
Noticed the stock has been ticking up with these sales.
Yeah, no one will buy the 5C. Gold is a gimmick color. Apple has run out of innovation.

Apple: being beleaguered since 1995.
post #10 of 39
remember when first report/rumor of a Gold iPhone surfaced online? People were making fun of the color!
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Already got mine, syncing it now.

Interesting, capacity shows as 59.61 GB, my old 5 was 57

Didn't you know, can't get them is Straya now till October sometime!

On another note, iOS 7 on my 5 is just great, very pleased.

On another, 'nother note, chatting with two long term PC users this morning after our Friday morning ride, both likely to buy Macs soon after their experiences with the iPad. Halo hasn't slipped here!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #12 of 39

[c] for Canine

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

[c] for Canine

So, not just every man but his dog too. Staff or customer? If the latter, do you have it yet?

post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

So, not just every man but his dog too. Staff or customer? If the latter, do you have it yet?

That's not me. Just a screen grab from video above.
I never realised killer guard dogs were allowed in our stores :wow:

post #15 of 39
Saw that the online store was 'busy' but no sales yet to be seen here in Holland. Stayed up for nothing. I love IOS 7 by the way !
post #16 of 39

I never realised killer guard dogs were allowed in our stores :wow:

He’s obviously blind.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #17 of 39
post #18 of 39
The scalpers have started already

Ooh, any boxes yet? You know, the ones that even explicitly say, “This is just the box” and yet are in the $600 range? I love those.

post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub52209 View Post

What kind/color did you get? Any indication on how availability was? How long did you have to wait in line? Sorry for all the questions, but curious minds want to know!

64GB Silver, Gold sold out before the store opened.

post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Remember those stories about how the gold color would be a failure, that it wouldn't sell even in China?

Actually, no.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Noticed the stock has been ticking up with these sales.
Yeah, no one will buy the 5C. Gold is a gimmick color. Apple has run out of innovation.

Apple: being beleaguered since 1995.

A reporter came along the line, doing an informal poll.

The first 5C was 60 back, I was 59th.
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A reporter came along the line, doing an informal poll.

The first 5C was 60 back, I was 59th.

I've seen a few tech polls and the 5S was chosen a helluva lot more than the 5C... which, in my mind, is to be expected. I've heard so many people say that they would love to have the gold iPhone.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've seen a few tech polls and the 5S was chosen a helluva lot more than the 5C... which, in my mind, is to be expected. I've heard so many people say that they would love to have the gold iPhone.

Especially considering people could pre order the 5C
post #24 of 39

Here are some photo's I took with the 5S camera.

Unretouched HDR on.

post #25 of 39
That's because Apple saved almost all of their gold version for China and perhaps Japan. Maybe even the U.S. God knows people here need their BLING!
post #26 of 39

So beautiful. 

post #27 of 39
Sticking with iOS 6 on iPhone 5 until those animations are speeded up. They look fancy, but I want to use my phone as a tool, you know?

Interestingly, the slower animations are more bearable on iPad. I guess that has to do with the screen size and the more leisure based use of that device. The methodology of the animations does feel wonderful on iPad though. As in, like an amazing 'experience'.

The scrolling animations of the bubbles in iMessage on both iPhone and iPad totally bug the crap out of me. If anything as time goes on it annoys me more and more, and on iPhone especially the way the bubbles are lighter in colour as they move up the screen is, I find, more of a distraction than a help. It's sort of similar to the way Gruber found the use of bold font for the safe-choice contextual option to make all the options including that one less clear.
Edited by Ireland - 9/19/13 at 8:25pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've seen a few tech polls and the 5S was chosen a helluva lot more than the 5C.

Do people who chose the C fill out tech polls? Mostly no, I would say.

post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sticking with iOS 6 on iPhone 5 until those animations are speeded up. They look fancy, but I want to use my phone as a tool, you know?

Interestingly, the slower animations are more bearable on iPad. I guess that has to do with the screen size and the more leisure based use of that device. The methodology of the animations does feel wonderful on iPad though. As in, like an amazing 'experience'.

The scrolling animations of the bubbles in iMessage on both iPhone and iPad totally bug the crap out of me. If anything as time goes on it annoys me more and more, and on iPhone especially the way the bubbles are lighter in colour as they move up the screen is, I find, more of a distraction than a help. It's sort of similar to the way Gruber found the use of bold font for the safe-choice contextual option to make all the options including that one less clear.

What animation u talking about? The one were the lock screen translates to the home screen, with icons rushing in from corners?

It appears very smooth on my iPhone 5.
post #30 of 39
Quote:

Cool. No one's stopping you. You're happy. iOS7 customers are happy. What's not to like?
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aignaes View Post

remember when first report/rumor of a Gold iPhone surfaced online? People were making fun of the color!

It's not gold, though, per se.

post #32 of 39
Quote:

Do people who chose the C fill out tech polls? Mostly no, I would say.

I guess they also don't get into line-ups.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 39
Quote:

That's not me. Just a screen grab from video above.

I never realised killer guard dogs were allowed in our stores 1eek.gif

That's how get the iPhone you requested very politely handed to you... no BS about getting it shipped to you "later."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

What animation u talking about? The one were the lock screen translates to the home screen, with icons rushing in from corners?
It appears very smooth on my iPhone 5.

I find I'm having a great experience with iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. My current generation iPad seems zippier with iOS 7.

Is there an option to set somewhere for a wider screen choice on the iPhone or Ipad? I can't find such a thing. Also I have a choice on my iPad for male or female Siri voice, but not for the better female voice. Just male or female..?? WTF, I wanted a more natural voice.
post #35 of 39

Hm, does anybody who has been to a store have a rough idea about 5c demand there? (Just curios, nothing scientific.)

A lot of family, friends and colleagues have ordered today, and among them (including kids) the demand for the 5c is exactly zero. And this includes a wild mix of people (from engineers and doctors to teachers and social workers to mailmen and factory workers, aged 17 through 84).

Have you seen any demand in stores?

post #36 of 39
post #37 of 39

Samesung should have a field day mocking all those happy people! Did I say happy people, as in happy with their new iPhone 5S/C, purchased after waiting in line? Funny the things that desperate Sammy chooses to mock.

post #38 of 39
Android user there, on the left, getting tired of viruses:

post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He’s obviously blind.

I went to the mall in Frisco, Texas. When I get in the building in line, I saw two Frisco Police officers and one of 'em have K-9 German Shepherd. So that could be the reason that pic above show this dog. 1smile.gif

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Worldwide iPhone 5s and 5c sales kick off at Australian Apple Stores [updated with video]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Worldwide iPhone 5s and 5c sales kick off at Australian Apple Stores [updated with video]