or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First iPhone 5s teardown shows no major internal changes [u]

First iPhone 5s teardown shows no major internal changes [u]

post #1 of 38
As has become typical of every major Apple product launch, the new iPhone 5s is being torn down just hours after it officially went on sale in Australia, offering some of the first looks at the phone's innards.

Editor's note: This article was continuously updated as the teardown was in progress.

iPhone 5s Teardown
Source: iFixit

The techs at iFixit are in the midst of carrying out a teardown of Apple's latest flagship smartphone, which is expected to reveal unannounced specifications and internal layout.

This year, the repair firm is tearing down the device live. So far, not much has been revealed aside from the battery, which is a 3.8V 5.92Whr unit, up from 5.45Whr in the iPhone 5.

iPhone 5s Teardown
Touch ID fingerprint sensor and home button.

The new iPhone's logic board appears to have been revamped, with enhancements including repositioned antenna connection placement that does away with cumbersome flex cables. The EMI shielding is also of note, as there are perforations for better cooling.

In conclusion, iFixit found no substantial changes to the iPhone 5s' internals compared to the iPhone 5. Aside from the slightly larger A7 SoC and Touch ID, the design is as expected. Interestingly, no mention was made of Apple's M7 motion coprocessor. Further investigation will likely reveal the chip's placement on the logic board.
post #2 of 38

Come on… 0/10 repairability… 

post #3 of 38
Even the innards are made of gold! They think of everything!

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #4 of 38

But will it blend?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

But will it blend?

iPhone 6

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #6 of 38
Decap that A7 and put it under an electron microscope! I wanna see that chips layout!
post #7 of 38
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That would be my HTC One. 

post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

But will it blend?

Dave Letterman used to have a skit called "Will it Float?" Very funny sometimes.

post #9 of 38

iFixit, doing Samsung's job for them. :P

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What do you expect? iFixit is looking to sell parts and tools so people will avoid taking their products to a qualified Apple Tech that has been trained, certified, has proper tools, has proper parts and their work is covered under a warranty.   MOST people are NOT going to try to fix their own device, so it really doesn't matter.  Tower computers are a little different since they are genetically designed for the user to pull them apart and replace RAM, PCI cards, etc.  But mobile devices, even laptops shouldn't be messed with unless the mfg specifically designs it to have some user replaceable components, which is becoming rarer and rarer to find.  Replacing a component with a third party is not always better performing and more reliable and 100% compatible.

post #11 of 38
Argh!!! Someone find out who makes the CPU and the process size! Pretty please? The suspense is killing me.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux8 View Post

Argh!!! Someone find out who makes the CPU and the process size! Pretty please? The suspense is killing me.

Hm, at least from the outside I can't see anything disputing AnandTech's conclusion that it should be Samsung and 28 nm...

post #13 of 38

The last comment says the markings are Samsung.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5s+Teardown/17383/2

I guess the speculation that Samsung was caught off guard was mistaken. Samsung may have been caught off guard, but several months ago, not several days ago when their co-CEO announced that next year's Galaxies will have 64-bit chips.

post #14 of 38

Strange headline. It has a new processor, different RAM, better radios, bigger battery, better camera, better flash, but "no major internal design changes"? What would constitute a major change then, unless the writer is simply talking about the layout of black squares of silicon.

post #15 of 38

@ KPOM What last comment says the markings are Samsung?

post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

iFixit, doing Samsung's job for them. :P
Lol! No doubt the first 20 iPhones in South Korea are ordered by Samsung's "engineering and design" teams
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Strange headline. It has a new processor, different RAM, better radios, bigger battery, better camera, better flash, but "no major internal design changes"? What would constitute a major change then, unless the writer is simply talking about the layout of black squares of silicon.

iFixit's focus is on repairs, so I guess this mainly refers to the internal layout, how to open the device etc., not specs.

post #18 of 38
I want to know (a) how much RAM is in the A7, (b) any markings of a fabrication vendor on the A7, (c) what process in nanometers is the A7 printed at, (d) what radio chips are being used ...
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

I want to know (a) how much RAM is in the A7, (b) any markings of a fabrication vendor on the A7, (c) what process in nanometers is the A7 printed at, (d) what radio chips are being used ...

a) According to the marking F8164A1PD on the A7 they say it is supposed to be 1GB, which is in line with the numbers identified by Geekbench

b) Everbody identified the markings as pointing to Samsung so far, I do not know, and iFixit writes that they will not make a final statement until they have looked inside the chip. This seems to be in line with the references to Samsung 9to5Mac found in configuration files.

c) If b) is true, then it must be 28 nm, if not...?

d) LTE Modem: Qualcomm MDM9615M

Transceiver: Qualcomm WTR1605L

WiFi: Murata 339S0205

post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux8 View Post

What is the reason why you are asking? Does it really matter? Is it just raw curiosity or is there some other reason?
post #21 of 38
What do they do with the phones when they are done? Do they put them back together to see if they can assemble the phone like the Chinese?
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What is the reason why you are asking? Does it really matter? Is it just raw curiosity or is there some other reason?

Don't know @flux8's reason, but assume a lot of people would like to know if DED's speculation in 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/14/after-its-disastrous-exynos-5-octa-samsung-may-have-lost-apples-a7-contract-to-tsmc turns out to be true.

So far, there are a lot of indications to the opposite, but no final proof. Anyhow, I do not think it is too relevant either way. The article contained a lot of truth and interesting facts, no matter if that conclusion was correct or not. Even people with a lot of insight into the business had endless discussions about the amount of transistors on this die size, all coming to different conclusions. Some claiming it must be Intel, some claiming it must be TSMC, some claiming it must be Samsung, some claiming you can't get to this transistor count at this size and 28 nm, others saying you can (as it seems GPU transistors, which make up a huge part of a SoC, can be much denser than CPU ones)... I have barely ever read so many mutually exclusive and 100% contrarian opinions on any topic outside religion and politics lately.

At some point Samsung will lose Apple as a customer, everybody knowing Apple knows that. If this is today or tomorrow... what the?

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

What do they do with the phones when they are done? Do they put them back together to see if they can assemble the phone like the Chinese?

Sell it to Will It Blend .com
http://willitblend.com/videos/view/129
post #24 of 38
Wow! Would you look at the removable battery!!

/s
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What is the reason you are asking for the reason he is asking? Does it really matter? 

Is it just raw curiosity or is there some other reason?

;)

post #26 of 38
But what does it taste like? Do these guys determine the estimated costs of the individual components?
post #27 of 38
All these tear downs and no one has bothered to determine who made the A7 yet, I thought that was extremely newsworthy?!
post #28 of 38

Never mind the A7, where's the M7, iFixit couldn't find it.

post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoofo View Post

All these tear downs and no one has bothered to determine who made the A7 yet, I thought that was extremely newsworthy?!

They have to start xraying inside the chip to determine actual manufacturer. Chip probably needs to be dismounted, all which takes time.

post #30 of 38
We know it isn't Samesung; they were a deer in the headlights on announcement day. I think Apple will keep them around, making chips that were already announced and have been on the market. Save the capacity of the others for the new stuff. It's a fitting task for a company who has a habit of stealing. "Here. Make our old parts, since you are not to be trusted." It's kinda a slap in the face, and they could use it.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoofo View Post

We know it isn't Samesung; they were a deer in the headlights on announcement day. I think Apple will keep them around, making chips that were already announced and have been on the market. Save the capacity of the others for the new stuff. It's a fitting task for a company who has a habit of stealing. "Here. Make our old parts, since you are not to be trusted." It's kinda a slap in the face, and they could use it.

Actually you don't know whether Samsung is building the A7. With no official news to back yes or no for certain the pretty-well-connected Anandtech feels comfortable in saying it's still being supplied by Samsung.
http://anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/2

EDIT: Is that N62WPP3 stamped? N has denoted Samsung in the past hasn't it? Oddly the chip images leaked back in June had a K designation.
Edited by Gatorguy - 9/20/13 at 7:27am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #32 of 38

It amazes me that iFixIt go all the way to Melbourne to get a few hours head start on their teardown when they don't even have any good competition in the tear down space anyway. Maybe just the threat/possibility of competition arising is enough to make them do it.

post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It amazes me that iFixIt go all the way to Melbourne to get a few hours head start on their teardown when they don't even have any good competition in the tear down space anyway. Maybe just the threat/possibility of competition arising is enough to make them do it.

No different than last year:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/20/ifixits_iphone_5_teardown_begins_hours_after_device_availability
post #34 of 38
Looks like the guys at Chipworks found the M7!! here's their teardown: http://goo.gl/H65BgS
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamacP View Post

Looks like the guys at Chipworks found the M7!! here's their teardown: http://goo.gl/H65BgS

... and claiming the A7 is a Samsung built component.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamacP View Post

Excellent! And welcome to the forum.

So, Samsung after all. Guess they'll have the luxury of using one of their own smartphone OS to use once they finish Samsueing the 64-bit CPU. Not all HW competitors have that luxury though. No idea if Tizen or Bada is easily modifiable though.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Ginger View Post

Decap that A7 and put it under an electron microscope! I wanna see that chips layout!

Oh yes - me too!!

post #38 of 38
So which Imagination Technologies VXD is in the 5s? I have never seen this detail published anywhere... A list has been started for previous iPhones here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143446&pid=1222243#pid1222243

Their newer ones support HEVC/H.265 decoding! 1wink.gif

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/powervr-vxd.asp
Edited by libertyforall - 3/16/14 at 12:55pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First iPhone 5s teardown shows no major internal changes [u]