or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Tim Cook shows up at Palo Alto Apple Store for iPhone launch

Tim Cook shows up at Palo Alto Apple Store for iPhone launch

post #1 of 28
Apple customers waiting in line for the new iPhone at the company's Palo Alto retail location got a special treat on Friday: a visit from Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook.

image via CNBC

Cook showed up at the Palo Alto University Apple Store Friday morning to greet the Apple faithful as they queued to buy the new iPhone 5c and 5s. AppleInsider reader Ben reports that Cook "shook the hands of everyone in line and then went on his way."

AppleInsider reader Ben confirms that the gray-topped head pictured here is indeed that of Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Reportedly, the Palo Alto retail location had only 10 gold iPhone 5s units, and the Stanford location sold out of gold units by the 15th customer. That is in keeping with recent reports that show that unit in even scarcer supply than other models. Still, demand remains high for all 5s units, as AppleInsider has been informed that the Palo Alto location also sold out of silver models by the 35th customer.

The launch of a new iPhone has become a yearly media event marked by long customer lines and weeks of hype. Cook's appearance at the Palo Alto location is in keeping with a tradition of Apple executives showing up to product launches. In 2010, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs appeared at the Palo Alto Apple Store for the launch of the iPad, sporting his signature black turtleneck, a hoodie, and ripped jeans.

Additional reports have emerged that other Apple executives have been spotted at other Apple retail locations. Twitter user Salim Hafid (@sqreone) sighted Apple's Phil Schiller and Eddy Cue at the company's Stanford store on Friday.

image via @sqrone.
post #2 of 28
Well done Tim Cook!
Any idea on how long the line was at Palo Alto store?
post #3 of 28
Nice!!! Very good extra treat indeed!!!
post #4 of 28

See… “iCnomy doesn’t work. Know why? Because there’s another ‘o’ in the word. That would imply both should be Apple logos, which is stupid. 

It’s almost as bad as “oPtion$”.

post #5 of 28

Actually, Tim was trying to find a gold iPhone.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #6 of 28
Quote:
AppleInsider reader Ben confirms that the gray-topped head pictured here is indeed that of Apple CEO Tim Cook.

As if, Tim Cook was convicted of some case or something and its like CCTV footage  -  our reporter Ben confirms that the gray-topped...

WTF?

Of course, he is Tim Cook

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

As if, Tim Cook was convicted of some case or something and its like CCTV footage  -  our reporter Ben confirms that the gray-topped...
WTF?

Of course, he is Tim Cook

LOL. I think Ben must be the fool with the inability to take a proper photo. And don't give me the excuse he couldn't because he didn't have his new 5S yet.

Might as well say that Tim shouldn't even be there because he should be fixing the security bug..or the stock, right Ben? Right? Hello, Ben?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #8 of 28
Tim Cook is a legend.
post #9 of 28
If I were the store manager, I would have handed Tim a Blue T Shirt and had him working inventory (or lack of it).
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

If I were the store manager, I would have handed Tim a Blue T Shirt and had him working inventory (or lack of it).

post #11 of 28

Surprised no one grabbed him and held him hostage for a gold iPhone.

post #12 of 28
Oracle is down ;-)
post #13 of 28
Quote:

You're fired.
post #14 of 28
"Surprised no one grabbed him and held him hostage for a gold iPhone."

You can be sure guys (big guys) with little funny things in there ears, suspiciously wearing a jacket (with one hand inside the opening) are very near by. Probably in the picture some where.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #15 of 28

I have to say that is pretty cool, it's also nice to see them just enjoy what they have created and take a day off.

post #16 of 28
An incredibly successful day for Apple and the new iPhones (the 5S anyway) and stocks are down again...bloody analysts!
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

An incredibly successful day for Apple and the new iPhones (the 5S anyway) and stocks are down again...bloody analysts!

Well, Apple would have to sell 6.25 million iPhones during the opening weekend to equal the sales growth from the 4S to the 5. Watch the analysts go nuts for any figure below that.

Watch the analysts go absolutely insane if the number is below 5 million.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

"Surprised no one grabbed him and held him hostage for a gold iPhone."

You can be sure guys (big guys) with little funny things in there ears, suspiciously wearing a jacket (with one hand inside the opening) are very near by. Probably in the picture some where.

LOL ... great point!

post #19 of 28
Description please. Blow by blow. Thunderous applause me suspects. Prostrations of idolization! Fainting, joyous rapture, some levitation. One death by shock and amazement? DETAILS, please. 1smoking.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #20 of 28

Tim is on Twitter now! @tim_cook

post #21 of 28
Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post
Tim is on Twitter now! @tim_cook

No blue checkmark, no sale.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No blue checkmark, no sale.

Phill Schiller did retweet him though...
post #23 of 28
UPDATE:

A man who looked remarkably similar to Tim Cook, the current CEO of Apple inc AAPL, wandered past the line of Apple customers waiting to buy their newest iPhone outside of the Palo Alto retail location. He said he was surprised so many people knew his first name even though he had just arrived in town. Tim Townsend, formerly of Denver CO, was downtown to shop for a replacement battery cover for his Android cellphone.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #24 of 28
Quote:

+1

Lack of inventory simply means they no longer trust their own products ..... or how many they could sell TODAY!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See… “iCnomy doesn’t work. Know why? Because there’s another ‘o’ in the word. That would imply both should be Apple logos, which is stupid. 

It’s almost as bad as “oPtion$”.

"iCnomy" needs the Open-Apple symbol, which is no longer available because Apple requires a closed system.

Cheers

post #26 of 28
Originally Posted by minicapt View Post
"iCnomy" needs the Open-Apple symbol, which is no longer available because Apple requires a closed system.

That’s closed Apple (option), not open Apple (command). ;)

post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

+1

Lack of inventory simply means they no longer trust their own products ..... or how many they could sell TODAY!

It's obviously not that they didn't trust their products. This is a dumb statement. They didn't even take pre orders. They had some serious production line stuff- not sure if we'll ever know the details- but it absolutely wasn't from lack of demand. They could've sold double the iPhones today- easy- and they know it.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #28 of 28
I really fear AAPL will drop next week coz of the shortage like last year...please dont !!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Tim Cook shows up at Palo Alto Apple Store for iPhone launch