or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support

Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support - Page 2

post #41 of 89
My ATV 3rd Gen, also bricked. iTunes will not recognize it so I cannot reset it. Spoke with Apple Support and they will ship a new one. I have to send mine first. They will provide a box for it with shipping labels.

This BLOWS!
post #42 of 89

I did that and it bricked.... no way out of it. 

Thanks a lot!

post #43 of 89
Originally Posted by Luis Zerpa View Post

Totally wrong, by the way.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #44 of 89

Same here.... so pissed!

post #45 of 89
Mine bricked too. I was able to restore via USB. What i am curious about is why do my stations not update and sync across all of my devices?
post #46 of 89
Both of my ATV3s updated without a hitch- although they did take abnormally long. Thank God. Sorry some of y'all are getting bricked- no way I would have upgraded if I had read the comments here first.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Luis Zerpa View Post

Totally wrong, by the way.

If you haven't experienced it, you should shut up. Really.

Thanks.

post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

What i am curious about is why do my stations not update and sync across all of my devices?

Mine do, and I find it irritating. When a station is deleted in one, it gets deleted in all.

I wish there was a way to set it at a device level rather than at the iTunes account level.

post #49 of 89

It took a long time, but my 2nd gen Apple TV updated successfully. It reset my video resolution but other than that there were no issues.

post #50 of 89
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nah, I’m 100% confident that someone can know that he’s lying about there being “no way out of it” without having experienced it personally, thanks.

post #51 of 89
Quote:

Nah, I’m 100% confident that someone can know that he’s lying about there being “no way out of it” without having experienced it personally, thanks.

Tbh, having wasted three hours of my life on this today, 'no way out of it' is the way I feel too. It is just a lousy software update. Period. (You can read Apple Support Communities on this issue, if you don't believe me).

I guess the 'way out' will likely be to call Apple tomorrow, and perhaps have them send me a new one (as has happened to a couple of others here). Coming fresh on the heels of my one-year old iPhone 5 (which I was going to passing off to my son when my 5S came in) being sent back to Apple a couple of days ago to fix a defective on-off button, and a 1.5-year old iPad that has a defective home button, I've been having a bad Apple week.

post #52 of 89
Quote:

Quote:

Tbh, having wasted three hours of my life on this today, 'no way out of it' is the way I feel too. It is just a lousy software update. Period. (You can read Apple Support Communities on this issue, if you don't believe me).

I guess the 'way out' will likely be to call Apple tomorrow, and perhaps have them send me a new one (as has happened to a couple of others here). Coming fresh on the heels of my one-year old iPhone 5 (which I was going to passing off to my son when my 5S came in) being sent back to Apple a couple of days ago to fix a defective on-off button, and a 1.5-year old iPad that has a defective home button, I've been having a bad Apple week.

How are you detecting that the update has actually failed? Many users have reported that it takes an unusually long time to complete, so I'm wondering how many of the apparent failures might be due simply to killing the process before it finishes. I'm reluctant, however, to test the theory on my ATV without further evidence.

post #53 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

How are you detecting that the update has actually failed? Many users have reported that it takes an unusually long time to complete, so I'm wondering how many of the apparent failures might be due simply to killing the process before it finishes. I'm reluctant, however, to test the theory on my ATV without further evidence.

It'll be quite obvious if/when it happens. An image of an @TV with a USB cable connected to the iTunes icon comes on the screen, and stays on. You pretty much have no other choice.

My recommendation is, stay FAR away from this update until it's been updated.
post #54 of 89

3rd gen bricked on me after a long attempt to update. Just made a unnecessary run to Radioshack for a mircoUSB to USB cable and I'm now up and running on the latest OS. Major pain in the ass.

post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by modusoperandi View Post

My second generation Apple TV bricked and cannot be restored even in iTunes (v11.1) via USB cable, errors out with a 1602 error. My third generation Apple TV had no problems. Apple Support (800-SOS-APPL) was little help, all they could do was to make a Genius Bar appointment for me. Anyone updating with second generation should use caution.

I had not read about any issues when I did mine or I might have hesitated. However, I did a 2nd and 3rd at the same time. Both took a long time but both succeeded no problems.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #56 of 89
Quote:

I'm 100% confident that you should shut up though.  You're supposed to be a moderator.  

What's the point of making snide comments to people who are experiencing a bricked Apple TV other than purposely being a jerk and pissing people off?  

The stupid thing about this bricked Apple TV thing is that the cable you need to fix it is the cable that you will most likely have around if you have an Android phone.  micro A is not that common of a cable and not only that, they don't sell them at the Apple store.  The whole thing is a giant cluster*ck by Apple.  
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The whole thing is a giant cluster*ck by Apple.  

Agreed. It's a mess.
post #58 of 89
Ok, I had a USB wire from my girlfriend's HTC phone, hooked it up to my MacBook, fired iTunes, hit the "Restore" button and it worked. After the update was applied just hook back your HDMI wire and unplug/replug Apple TV and voilà!
post #59 of 89
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It'll be quite obvious if/when it happens. An image of an @TV with a USB cable connected to the iTunes icon comes on the screen, and stays on. You pretty much have no other choice.

My recommendation is, stay FAR away from this update until it's been updated.

Thanks - I think I'll follow your advice.

post #60 of 89
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're supposed to be a moderator. 

I’ll stand behind that statement.

The stupid thing about this bricked Apple TV thing is that the cable you need to fix it is the cable that you will most likely have around if you have an Android phone.  micro A is not that common of a cable and not only that, they don't sell them at the Apple store.  The whole thing is a giant cluster*ck by Apple.

Yeah! It is! That this is happening at all is pretty upsetting, but it’s not permanent, as was implied. I was attempting to find the specific instructions for restoring from this problem to edit the post but got caught up in my work and forgot until I came back. 

post #61 of 89
Could this all be related to the pummeled iTunes authorization server? I didn't update till about 11pm when I got home, at which point I left the update to "prepare" while I took the dog out. When I got back almost an hour later it was up and running. Guess I'm lucky.

But at what time did those of you with problems do the update? If there was a rush of updates all at once then maybe that in tandem with all the iPhone orders made a bad situation worse. Just trying to find a method to the madness that would leave some aTV's bricked and others fine.

My update also came thru an Ethernet connection, FWIW.
post #62 of 89
I am curious. When those of you who say it was "bricked" tried to update and it failed, what exactly happened? Did the update not complete all the way? Did it just hang during the process and never progress? Did it die halfway through and then render your AppleTV unusable? Not sure what you mean by "bricked".

My experience was that the first two thirds of the download happened in about five minutes and then for about 10 minutes it downloaded slowly but steadily (while I was reading this thread) and then it marched on to finish and complete the update. There was no bricking. The whole process took about 30-40 minutes. That was about 20 minutes faster that it took to update the iPhone and the iPad to iOS 7.
post #63 of 89
I thought my update had failed. The download was quick but I have cable. Step 1 of 2 is VERY slow. Like forever. I ended up measuring the length of the bar with a ruler just to be sure. Step 2 of 2 was almost as slow but eventually it worked.

EVENTUALLY....

My advice is that if appears to hang, just wait. Measure the bar, walk away and do something else. I realise this may not be helpful to you all but it's my two cents worth.

John
Edited by jcbigears - 9/21/13 at 1:33am
post #64 of 89

I updated both of my 3rd gen TVs. The TV that is connected through ethernet had to be connected to iTunes by usb to restore. The one that is 100 feet away and wireless went through without a problem. Although, it took "long time GI"

I am not sure that my 5 year old son didnt bork the install by switching the TV/Amp/hdmi splitter to "cable from TV setting. I have a logitech harmony remote that switches everything -and turns off anything(blu-rasy player, cable box etc..) not in use for a function. When I came in to check on the update he was watching disney channel on xfinity and the light on the TV was flashing really fast. I switched it back to TV function and the TV screen showed a "cable to iTune"s required graphic. I fortunately had one of these cables so restore was then a breeze.

So, i am not sure if it was borked from the get go or as a result of trying to be shut off by the harmony remote.

Anyways, all is good now, and as usuall with apple-the update otherwise is awesome.

Love TV !!     Since 2007- it is by far our favorite device. 

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #65 of 89
I have a Gen 2 and a Gen 3, both on wired Ethernet using static IP addresses. Both took a long time, but eventually began showing the screen saver, in which you thought everything was ok. But if you pressed the menu button, both units went to a black screen and refused to wake up. Cutting power to the units got them working again, seeing the "new features" screen on reboot and everything has been ok since.
post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I am curious. When those of you who say it was "bricked" tried to update and it failed, what exactly happened? Did the update not complete all the way? Did it just hang during the process and never progress? Did it die halfway through and then render your AppleTV unusable? Not sure what you mean by "bricked".

My experience was that the first two thirds of the download happened in about five minutes and then for about 10 minutes it downloaded slowly but steadily (while I was reading this thread) and then it marched on to finish and complete the update. There was no bricking. The whole process took about 30-40 minutes. That was about 20 minutes faster that it took to update the iPhone and the iPad to iOS 7.

Perhaps if you actually read the thread, you'd know what people mean by 'bricked.'
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbigears View Post

I thought my update had failed. The download was quick but I have cable. Step 1 of 2 is VERY slow. Like forever. I ended up measuring the length of the bar with a ruler just to be sure. Step 2 of 2 was almost as slow but eventually it worked.

EVENTUALLY....

My advice is that if appears to hang, just wait. Measure the bar, walk away and do something else. I realise this may not be helpful to you all but it's my two cents worth.

John

Um.. Did you get the iTunes icon on screen? If not, you had no problems.
post #68 of 89

I started my download before reading everyones comments. Luckily download and installation was flawless. iTunes radio works as promised.

rmusikantow
rmusikantow
post #69 of 89
Final update: Apple Support asked me to take it in for service (to a local authorized service agent). They agreed that the 6.0 update fried mine.

Luckily, I have my Gen 2....
post #70 of 89
I just discovered tonight after downloading the new version 6.0 that it erased all my favorites that I had on my podcast on Apple TV. Was not happy at all. Apple technical support had no idea how to fix it and if either one of two things happened.

One Apple intended not to make it work and we have to resubscribe to that specific podcast that we enjoy or two, they had no clue that it was going to do that. The only way to work around this is to resubscribe to your favorite podcast. Is no workaround other than that. Apple has no clue fix it at this point unless there's a future update... they sure blew this one
post #71 of 89
There's a lot of hidden new features in this update. I found a bunch while I was going through everything the other night after I downloaded it. For example, go into Update Software in settings. You will see a new feature which allows you to select automatic updates. This is defaulted to off, so turn it on and it will update itself automatically as newer versions are released! The Podcast app now syncs with your iTunes account and other iOS devices. The Photos app now works like the built-in Photos app of iOS 7. There are other various tweaks throughout that you will find, if you look thoroughly.
post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

I just discovered tonight after downloading the new version 6.0 that it erased all my favorites that I had on my podcast on Apple TV. Was not happy at all. Apple technical support had no idea how to fix it and if either one of two things happened.

One Apple intended not to make it work and we have to resubscribe to that specific podcast that we enjoy or two, they had no clue that it was going to do that. The only way to work around this is to resubscribe to your favorite podcast. Is no workaround other than that. Apple has no clue fix it at this point unless there's a future update... they sure blew this one

That's because it now syncs with iTunes and your other iOS devices. I never saved anything to my favorites using the Apple TV app. All, my subscriptions were added through iTunes or my iPhone, my iPad, or my iPod Touch. After the update, all my subscriptions appeared on the Apple TV Podcast app, which I was delighted to see, which I would rather have than an independent non-synced list. Yeah, I can see why this can be upsetting with people who kept a list using the old Apple TV app, but in order to gain the functionality of this enhancement, it needs to replace any list data it previously had. It's a trade-off I think is worth it, but - yeah - Apple should have thought this out better so that people like yourself would have lossless way of transitioning.
post #73 of 89
i have a second gen AppleTV and its saying no update so it must have been pulled due to all the problems.
post #74 of 89

I started the update running and then sat down and began reading all the FOOBAR comments here. Arggg! My 2nd gen ATV was still in the Step 1 "preparing" phase, so I yanked out the Ethernet cable and then pulled the power cord. When I rebooted, the ATV came back up (I guess it hadn't overwritten anything yet), and is running ok.

So, the "last-chance-abort-while-running-the-update" brute force and ignorance option may possibly save you if you're still in Step 1 "preparing" the update. :wow:

post #75 of 89
Am I the only one who experienced NO problems with this update?
post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Am I the only one who experienced NO problems with this update?

if you are the only one then i'm more afraid now to update it.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

if you are the only one then i'm more afraid now to update it. 3rd Gen.

He is not wine worked well flawlessly. Took some more time tha usual but fine. I used WiFi for this.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

if you are the only one then i'm more afraid now to update it.
Or I'm the only one who spoke up. I could be the silent majority. Others who didn't have problems, please speak!
post #79 of 89
I had no problem with my first aTV few days ago. I tried updating my second atv tonight but it can't seem to find the 6.0 update. Maybe they pulled it?

Btw, the USB micro restore instructions posted in the thread might be wrong. I recall no external power is required if you restore via micro USB. Power is provided via the micro USB cable. Or am I mistaken?
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #80 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitzjose View Post

i have a second gen AppleTV and its saying no update so it must have been pulled due to all the problems.

Same here. No update. Apple must be waiting for server issues to be ironed out.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support