or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support

Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support - Page 3

post #81 of 89
My ATV 3 says it's on the latest update but it's not I don't see iTunes Radio WTF
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBUFF74 View Post

My ATV 3 says it's on the latest update but it's not I don't see iTunes Radio WTF

Judging by this thread, some people have had major problems installing this update, and Apple may have pulled it.

post #83 of 89
I guess you are right about that
post #84 of 89

Confirmed...it's been yanked.

post #85 of 89
I have two ATV's that were bricked. The message (in graphic form) said to connect the ATV's to iTunes, which I did. This restored my ATV's and updated them to the new software. The only thing else I had to do is reenter my wifi and user information for the various programs (Netflix, etc.). Not too big of a deal. I've read today that Apple has removed the software update completely.
post #86 of 89

CNET is reporting that Apple has pulled this POS update: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604058-37/apple-pulls-apple-tv-update-amid-bricking-complaints/

I can't get back three hours of my life, the drive and back to the repair place, and the wait of perhaps up to a week before I can my AppleTV back. Ugh.

post #87 of 89

I updated fine. All is well with my Apple TV.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #88 of 89

How to download and install AppleTV 6.0 Software to the AppleTV (2nd Gen) and (3rd Gen) successfully:

You will need a Micro-USB cable.  I had one for my Jabra Bluetooth Speakerphone, so I was ready to go.  If you have an AppleTV (3rd Gen), you will also need the power cord.  The 2nd Gen model does not need the power cord.

Step one: Download the AppleTV 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen 6.0 software from this site:

http://www.icj.me/ios/all

This is the full restore software for the AppleTV.  Sounds like the "over the air" version caused a lot of problems, and was pulled from Apple's servers.  Downloading the full restore software will completely wipe the AppleTV and install brand-new software.

Important Info for AppleTV 3rd Gen Owners: There are TWO models of the AppleTV 3rd Gen.  One was released in 2012 and one was released in 2013 (the difference was updated A5 silicon).  The 2012 model is A1427.  The 2013 model is A1469.  Look at the bottom of your AppleTV 3rd Gen and check the model number.  If you have model A1427, then download the 6.0 software for Apple TV 3.  If you have model A1469, then download the 6.0 software for Apple TV 3 (2013).

Remember where you saved the 6.0 Restore.ipsw file (the Desktop is a good location).  Then follow steps 1-4 to connect your AppleTV to your Mac or PC from Apple's Support page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

2nd Gen models do not need the power cord, but the 3rd Gen models require the power cord.  Open iTunes and plug in the Micro-USB cable to the AppleTV.  Plug in the power cord if you have the 3rd Gen.  The AppleTV will appear in iTunes, indicating it is in Recovery Mode.  (If you have iTunes 11, go under the View menu and choose Show Sidebar so you can easily find the AppleTV under the Devices list).  On the Mac, hold Option and click the Restore AppleTV button.  (On Windows, I think you hold Control or Shift and click the Restore AppleTV button).  An open dialog box will appear asking you to locate the ipsw file.  Navigate to the location where you saved the 6.0 Restore file and open it.  You will get a prompt asking if you want to restore the AppleTV to 6.0.  Click Restore and let the process complete.  When done, you will get a prompt advising you to disconnect the AppleTV and reconnect it to your TV.  The restore process only takes a few minutes.

Once connected to your TV, the AppleTV will boot up as a brand-new device running 6.0.  The great new feature of 6.0 is the totally cool setup process.  You can now use your iOS 7 iPhone 4S or later, iPad 3 (or mini) or later, or iPod Touch 5 to setup the AppleTV using Bluetooth.  Turn on Bluetooth on your iOS device and set it on top of your AppleTV.  The devices will talk to each other and you will enter your AppleID and password on the iOS device.  Follow a few prompts and all the settings (Wi-Fi, etc) will transfer to the AppleTV.

After reading about the failed updates and discovering that Apple pulled the OTA update, I decided to use the Restore file and update my AppleTV 3rd Gen models.  Both were the 2012 model and both updated flawlessly using this method.  If you had trouble with the OTA update, download the restore file from the site above and you should be able to restore your AppleTV without any issues and install the 6.0 software.  Both of my AppleTVs are running perfectly using this method.

post #89 of 89
I would love to see an Apple TV pull live content over the air. Be that over iCloud or with a built in HDTV UHF antenna. Through in a weekly TV guide and ability to record to an external drive and iCloud.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support