or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6 - Page 4

post #121 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Saw that, thanks, but one can still put it in DFU mode and circumvent the signing issue. In this case, 'Google can be your friend'.


True, it's not impossible to install 6.x, but it sure ain't gonna be easy to "get back to where you once belonged".

True, but Apple still allows 'older devices' to be downgraded: from some jailbreak site, posted 14 hours ago. Berg, you might want to be quick:

"There is some good news for older devices though. Apple still hasn’t stopped signing iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 for older devices like the iPad 2, iPad mini, the iPod touch 4 and iPhone 3GS at the time of writing this article. This means if you have one of these devices and they are running iOS 7 you should be able to downgrade."
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #122 of 168
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

But when apple takes a year to make a long cable, then rapes for it, sheese.

 

Get over it. You’re obviously wrong.

 

I’m a stock holder… …but…

 

Uh huh. We believe you.

 
…they have tons of cash and expertise and still leave these glaring loose ends.

 

Did you ever think that you might be wrong, given that they’re the ones with the expertise and are making the products?

post #123 of 168

I have turned on the contrast and tried the "reverse color"....   increasing creasing contrast helps...  reverse colors just looks like a photo negative.....   thanks for the tip...

post #124 of 168

I do have a question though..  If everything was readable and usable in iOS 6, why should we have to turn this, that, and the other thing on, off or whatever, just so Apple and Mr Ive can do this White on White....  for example, yes... I can turn on Bold...  but then doesn't that defeat text that is really bolded?  all that is really needed if for Mr Ive and Apple to back down on the White on White thing a few notches...   just a few notches....  There are plenty of black on white or gray on white Websites that conform to Mr Ive's idea (vision) .... which are perfectly readable....  Mr Ive has just taken it a bit too far...  imho......  I accept that there are plenty of customers who like the new look..

post #125 of 168

It’s not white on white in the first place. “Why should we have to change?” is a broken question. You don’t; just don’t buy it. If you don’t like how new cars are designed, don’t buy one. If you don’t like current trends in clothing, don’t buy it. You can, of course, purchase aftermarket car parts and modify, just as you can make adjustments to clothing if you’ve a sewing machine.

post #126 of 168

ok.. so if I change the question to use the words "very light gray on white..." the question becomes unbroken and stands.  Could you be so kind as to try your answer again please... I'd appreciate it....

post #127 of 168
Originally Posted by jimmiek View Post
ok.. so if I change the question to use the words "very light gray on white..." the question becomes unbroken and stands.  Could you be so kind as to try your answer again please... I'd appreciate it....

 

Nah, just read the one I’ve already written, because it doesn’t change.

post #128 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Get over it. You’re obviously wrong.

 

Uh huh. We believe you.

 

Did you ever think that you might be wrong, given that they’re the ones with the expertise and are making the products?

 

If you think Apple has the world covered on expertise, you need to get a clue.  I bought my girls MacBook Pro's a while back, and while I liked the reversible power connectors, I couldn't believe they did not make a reinforced angled connector considering the use model of these cables I could only see premature failure.  Gee guess what?  Faced with a class action suit, Apple now supplies just such a cable.

 

I couldn't believe that Apple didn't make cases and longer cables for the iPhones, leaving money on the table, and here we are with them now available.  But $20 for a 1M and $30 for a 2M cable is pushing things, it does not engender good vibes from customers as good value.  I did buy a couple of these new 2M cables, and I can say that the jacket material is not great (stiff, rough, picks up dirt, will look poor in short time) which is disappointing.  I've got a drawer full of cables from Monoprice, some are great, others not so much.

 

I couldn't care a whit, what you believe, I've no reason to misrepresent myself on any forum, do you?

 

I give good feedback, and my goal is simply better products.  But you go ahead and buy blindly and love it as your own, as a stock holder, and I really am one, I thank you.  I want the stock to rightfully soar and any company that ignores the customer eventually goes the wrong way.

post #129 of 168
Huh? What has the stock to do with the quality of the companies' products?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #130 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiek View Post
 

I do have a question though..  If everything was readable and usable in iOS 6, why should we have to turn this, that, and the other thing on, off or whatever, just so Apple and Mr Ive can do this White on White....  for example, yes... I can turn on Bold...  but then doesn't that defeat text that is really bolded?  all that is really needed if for Mr Ive and Apple to back down on the White on White thing a few notches...   just a few notches....  There are plenty of black on white or gray on white Websites that conform to Mr Ive's idea (vision) .... which are perfectly readable....  Mr Ive has just taken it a bit too far...  imho......  I accept that there are plenty of customers who like the new look..

 

Nuff said!  I went black on my portable devices as soon as they were available.  I find white bezels distracting while watching video's etc.  Obviously there is a segment of the population that don't like white-on-white, )I would consider a gold case with black face, might look interesting).  But these searchlight bright screens with thin fonts are really irritating to a reasonable slice of the public, so why not make a theme for us?  The current accessibility options don't cure the problem, the keyboard is OK (like previous) in some apps but thin and whimpy in others, strange.

 

The new folders was a bit odd at first, all that screen not used for icons, forcing one to have multiple pages per folder seems bad.  What is good about it is that it's really perfect for one handed use now as your thumb is now in range of all icons.  But if you are a two handed user like me, it seems like a waste of space and more steps are now needed compared to before.  Again, this behavior should have been a choice.

post #131 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? What has the stock to do with the quality of the companies' products?

 

Well, if you watched Apple stock after the recent introductions, you'd have to think nothing ;) 

 

I do think a company making superior products should grow, and their stock with it, don't you?  I'm not a finance guy at all, and it seems that stocks are manipulated by Wall Street in some way.  They seem to jack Apple around, even when doing great things.

post #132 of 168
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

I couldn't believe they did not make a reinforced angled connector considering the use model of these cables I could only see premature failure.  Gee guess what?  Faced with a class action suit, Apple now supplies just such a cable.

 

Whiners refused to take care of their possessions and destroyed them, demanding free replacements. Somehow that makes you right on what you said before?

post #133 of 168

Knock yourself out buddy, no point in discussing things with your type.  A shipping Apple product MUST be without flaw, right?

 

But, that is what I told my girls when their cables came apart...  at least the taking care of their possessions part.   ;)

 

Now, I've got to go do some chores and work on my solar array mounts, if you can believe that....

post #134 of 168
The new redesign iOS 7 is a beautiful piece of software. It was definitely time for Apple to make a drastic change with the iconic OS.
post #135 of 168
My family and I love the new iOS. While I admit I'm not crazy about the look of calendars and notes, it doesn't really bother me, still very functional. What I really like is the new look of the lock and home screens in general, plus much improved functions in web browsing, app switching, spotlight, etc. An overall excellent upgrade.
post #136 of 168
So when is AI gonna update your app to match the new UI
post #137 of 168
This is pretty baseless and misleading information.

This says nothing of those who's phone automatically started downloading the new OS on its own.

Mine and 3 others in my family's phone downloaded it without being prompted to then ran the install. So they cannot count all these new users as people who chose to do so misleading that some didn't have a choice, thus inflating the alleged popularity of the new OS.
post #138 of 168

Interesting, I was visiting with the extended family tonight.  My older brother-in-law, a non technical building contractor, had just that happen, auto updated his 4S and it crippled him at 4am when he was heading out for a job.  He is having lots of trouble with many of the screens, hard for him to see while out working.

 

I spent half an hour showing him all the great new features and how to navigate the new OS.  If he knew this in advance he would not have upgraded.

post #139 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCloudt View Post

My family and I love the new iOS. While I admit I'm not crazy about the look of calendars and notes, it doesn't really bother me, still very functional. What I really like is the new look of the lock and home screens in general, plus much improved functions in web browsing, app switching, spotlight, etc. An overall excellent upgrade.

 

All good points, I love the parallax view on the home screen, love the fact that you can swipe-to-unlock anywhere on the screen now, love the full screen notes in contacts (I have tons of notes there and before they were only visible in a small window) even though they are too bright for me.  Overall the core upgrade is great, just hope they ratchet back the WHITE.

post #140 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? What has the stock to do with the quality of the companies' products?

Well, if you watched Apple stock after the recent introductions, you'd have to think nothing 1wink.gif 

I do think a company making superior products should grow, and their stock with it, don't you?  I'm not a finance guy at all, and it seems that stocks are manipulated by Wall Street in some way.  They seem to jack Apple around, even when doing great things.

Asked and answered, I'd say.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #141 of 168

What people think about the looks is one thing – I have more problems with the long animations and constant refreshing of apps when switching to them. I thought the whole idea with the ”new multitaksing” was that the window previews were live, yet most of the time when switching to and app it gets refreshed.

 

And the long animation when pressing the home button to go form an app to the home screen makes it take longer than it did in iOS 6.

 

I also find the GUI to be too bright in some places, such as the Photos app. I'd like to have a darker theme.

post #142 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyte View Post

This is pretty baseless and misleading information.

This says nothing of those who's phone automatically started downloading the new OS on its own.

Mine and 3 others in my family's phone downloaded it without being prompted to then ran the install. So they cannot count all these new users as people who chose to do so misleading that some didn't have a choice, thus inflating the alleged popularity of the new OS.

No, it's not. Did you read the article?

It says that 32% of iPhone web traffic comes from iOS 7. If you haven't installed the update, then your web traffic would still be coming from iOS 6.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #143 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Ah, good safety feature. Didn't think of that. Good point. Another *hidden gem* of iOS7!

How is having your night vision ruined by your phone a safety feature??
post #144 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You can improve contrast (and if needed, even reverse colors) under 'Accessibility'.

This misses the point. It was fine in the previous version of the OS. Making people have to change settings when they are not vision impaired enough to need such things in the prior version just means that first impressions to these devices in stores is that much more likely to be bad.
post #145 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whiners refused to take care of their possessions and destroyed them, demanding free replacements. Somehow that makes you right on what you said before?

What an idiotic statement. My iPhone and its cable are BABIED. Yet the cable actually self-destructed near the phone end. It happened so quickly that it was fine when I set the phone to charge at night before bed and was rotting (sticky) and shielding exposed when I went to pick it up in the morning when I woke. No BS. I have never in my life seen anything like it and I have had tech gear since I was 12.

The only other bizarre cable situation I've seen is with the sticky transparent FireWire cables. Also an Apple material choice at fault. With that, I can excuse them for not having 20 years of experience making transparent cables. But with the white iPhone cable self destructing over night??? Dude. No.

I love my iPhone but this is ridiculous. Blaming "whining" users is bad attitude on your part.
post #146 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

What an idiotic statement. My iPhone and its cable are BABIED. Yet the cable actually self-destructed near the phone end. It happened so quickly that it was fine when I set the phone to charge at night before bed and was rotting (sticky) and shielding exposed when I went to pick it up in the morning when I woke. No BS. I have never in my life seen anything like it and I have had tech gear since I was 12.

The only other bizarre cable situation I've seen is with the sticky transparent FireWire cables. Also an Apple material choice at fault. With that, I can excuse them for not having 20 years of experience making transparent cables. But with the white iPhone cable self destructing over night??? Dude. No.

I love my iPhone but this is ridiculous. Blaming "whining" users is bad attitude on your part.

If the cables frayed that easily, there would have been a recall.
post #147 of 168

I've had numerous Apple cables with failed jackets near the undersized strain relief and I too baby my cables.  I now use a bit of shrink tubing right off the bat with new cables to prevent this.  The worst cable I've ever seen was a Kindle cable, it literally crumbled after about 18 months, just a bad plastic.

 

Apple (or any other company really) doesn't recall unless really pushed, it's easier and more cost effective for them to handle these things case by case.

post #148 of 168

I've now talked to a bunch of people about their feelings on IOS7, every single one had issues with the overly white screens and thin fonts so I'm not alone.  I like the upgrade but hope for corrections in the future.

 

I still am surprised that I still can't ask Siri to "read me my messages", over my headset, with the phone stowed away, "sorry, I can't do that with the phone locked", so much for hands free!  I miss this functionality (not the instability), which was available years ago on windows mobile devices with voice commander.  Some day, some day.

post #149 of 168

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #150 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Motion is causing a problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5322295?start=0&tstart=0

That's not the only thing, unfortunately:

iCloud video share doesn't work on iOS 7

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23198499?ac_cid=tw123456#23198499
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #151 of 168
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Motion is causing a problem:

 

No, it’s not.

post #152 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it’s not.

Yes it is.
post #153 of 168
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Yes it is.

 

Well, I’m convinced¡

post #154 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Motion is causing a problem:

No, it’s not.

Then it's all in my mind ¡ That, or I am seeing things
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #155 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

No, it’s not.

 

Are you a doctor?

 

Are you going to tell all the people posting on Apple's board that there is no problem with their phone... it's with them?

(I will grant that a lot of people will jump on the bandwagon if they smell a little return for themselves)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Well, I’m convinced¡

 

 

Me, too.

 

Actually, I'll take my friend's word for it.  She has a medical condition that can be aggravated by certain visual stimuli.  It is actually fairly predictable and repeatable.  The reason we went to the shop to see the phones was I was concerned after seeing OS7 on my iPad mini that it would trigger a reaction in her, so I thought she should hold off on updating until she knew for certain, because Apple doesn't allow people to return to the previous version.  It caused a reaction.  

 

And there is this:

 

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/27/is-apple-ios-7-actually-sickening-users/

(I know, I know, Fox)

 

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/27/ios-7-motion-sickness-nausea

 

and this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604741-37/iphone-ipad-owners-complain-of-motion-sickness-due-to-ios-7/

 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/09/27/new-ios7-update-making-some-users-dizzy/2883587/

 

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-ios-7-zoom-animation-nauseous-20130926,0,5425351.story

 

You get the point.  Lots and lots of really great press.  Someone here mentioned a class action suit about a power cable; how long do you think it will be before one comes in lawyer-crazy land over the OS?

 

And silence from Cupertino.  The least they could do is let people return to OS6.  I mean I'm a great Apple fan, but I will admit that they can make and have made mistakes.  I think they really messed up with this one.  But, I also think that the phones will sell very well, and that many people will update the OS and not have any problem.  Apple will get money, so they'll question is, will Apple, a company that from early on paid close attention to accessibility, care?


Edited by Bergermeister - 9/28/13 at 11:09am

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #156 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I’m convinced¡

You don't suffer from motion sickness. I do. I can't read in a moving vehicle. I can't sit backwards in a moving vehicle. I can't play Halo for long. Mission Space in Epcot made me sick. I can't be on a boat. IMAX gives me problems.
post #157 of 168

I don't think it's the parallax feature as mentioned in the fox article however.  Most of what I've read points to the overly aggressive icon animations when unlocking and selecting apps.  Hey Apple, just because you have the sheer graphic power to do these things doesn't mean you have to!

 

I'd had a few bouts of vertigo, can't do spinning rides, could never read in a car, but love the parallax feature on the phone and don't mind the animations too much, but would like the choice to kill them if needed.  It's clear that 7 crosses the trigger line for a chunk of the population, something that can't be ignored.

 

If you've never experienced this, then your opinion on this matter is irrelevant... Tallest Skil

post #158 of 168
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

If you've never experienced this, then your opinion on this matter is irrelevant... Tallest Skil

 

Yeah, I’ve turned my head before and had objects pass across my field of vision, thanks.

post #159 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yeah, I’ve turned my head before and had objects pass across my field of vision, thanks.

 

You are fortunate to not have one of many conditions that actually can make what many consider normal life an absolute nightmare at times.  I hope that you will take some time to learn about them so that you may better understand the people who suffer from them.

 

Some background info (there are many others):

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ménière%27s_disease

 

And the biggie (notice the point that is made about objects moving nearby which could include a screen; certain games are completely out of the question for these sufferers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo


Edited by Bergermeister - 9/28/13 at 11:34am

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #160 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

I've now talked to a bunch of people about their feelings on IOS7, every single one had issues with the overly white screens and thin fonts so I'm not alone.  I like the upgrade but hope for corrections in the future.

I still am surprised that I still can't ask Siri to "read me my messages", over my headset, with the phone stowed away, "sorry, I can't do that with the phone locked", so much for hands free!  I miss this functionality (not the instability), which was available years ago on windows mobile devices with voice commander.  Some day, some day.

Dumb post is dumb. What you're referring to is a security feature. If you have Siri read your messages while your phone is locked, so can anyone else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6