or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bug in iOS 7 allows calls to be placed from locked iPhone

Bug in iOS 7 allows calls to be placed from locked iPhone

post #1 of 114
Another security flaw has been discovered in Apple's iOS 7, this time exploiting a bug in the emergency calling system that allows anyone to bypass an iPhone's passcode lock to make a phone call.

Exploit

The bug was found by Karam Daoud and reported by Fortune, which noted the emergency call exploit has AppleInsider was able to replicate the process on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.

The discovery comes after a separate issue was uncovered on Thursday that exploits a glitch in Command Center to bypass iOS 7's lock screen security protection. That problem is easily rectified, however, by turning off the feature's lock screen access in Settings.

As with any new operating system release, the first version is bound to have a few issues that were not unearthed during beta testing. For example, Apple's Safari app in iOS 6 contained a Smart App Banner bug that reenabled JavaScript without user consent, potentially opening devices to security breaches.

Apple has been informed of the latest exploit and will likely issue a patch with the next software update.
post #2 of 114

It's a good catch, and good that Apple will fix it quickly.

If you download a brand new operating system, you have to be willing to deal with little glitches.  It's to be expected.

post #3 of 114
Apples doomed!
post #4 of 114

Probably will be fixed within several days.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 114

To bad the new dialer and awful turquoise blue icons in safari and mail are not bugs also

post #6 of 114
Hi, I'm a professional analyst and tech pundit. Based on this bug, I am downgrading AAPL stock to $80 and SELL. I predict Apple will go bankrupt next week and Samsung will overtake them based solely on the fallout from this egregious bug. It means Tim Cook can't code as well as Jobs could. Jobs would've caught this bug in testing and fixed it himself.

Edit: Added tag, as someone seems to have taken this seriously.
Edited by macinthe408 - 9/21/13 at 10:54am
post #7 of 114
I hereby choose to forget that other phones have had their share of lock-screen exploits too, and pretend this only happens with Apple 1smile.gif More fun that way!
post #8 of 114

Everybody I know with an iPhone does not have a passcode set and uses it unlocked because of the inconvenience of entering a PIN to unlock it. I don't use a passcode on my iPad either. The paranoids must be out in force on this tuff.

post #9 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Everybody I know with an iPhone does not have a passcode set and uses it unlocked because of the inconvenience of entering a PIN to unlock it. I don't use a passcode on my iPad either. The paranoids must be out in force on this tuff.

Criminals prey on the gullible. Its not paranoid to use the security that is built into the device.

post #10 of 114
This has always been in all versions of iOS... the ability to make an emergency call without typing in the passcode. This is a feature, not a bug.
post #11 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

This has always been in all versions of iOS... the ability to make an emergency call without typing in the passcode. This is a feature, not a bug.

........facepalm

post #12 of 114

Weird that you’re the first to notice this. Weird that the article was written at all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #13 of 114
Quote:

The link in the article appears to be broken but this is an excerpt from the original post at Forbes:

Quote: Forbes

The trick includes international calls and calls to premium numbers, is simple enough that any phone thief could easily take advantage of it, and unlike the first bug revealed in the iOS 7 lockscreen Thursday, there doesn’t seem to be any immediate fix for users.

Anyone who gets physical access to a locked iPhone running iOS 7 can simply tap “Emergency” on the lock screen, which brings up an emergency calling screen. Then he or she can dial any number and rapidly tap the call button until the phone reverts to an empty screen with an Apple logo at the center and make the call to that number. says Daoud. “Once the black screen appeared, it was pretty clear that this is a bug,” says Daoud. “You can dial a number anywhere, any time.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #14 of 114
I tried it but couldn't get it to do it
post #15 of 114
This isn't news! This isn't worth reading! Who cares! Scenario: Somebody steals my iPhone and they want to place a phone call before iOS 7.0.1 comes out -- go for it dude. This is the stuff and fodder of the retarded tech press media echo chamber and should not be on a site like AppleInsider. Not worth the pixels that were wasted in this comment!
post #16 of 114
Quote:

I was like that until I started running a business and realized that if my iPhone were stolen, I would potentially be out thousands in damages.  Pass code protection is a must in the business world or anywhere else that you have sensitive data. 

If your phone only represents you and your personal data, then only you can be damaged.  If your phone represents you and a larger Entity, then both can be damaged. 

[Forum Signature]  I have no signature.  [Forum Signature]

[Forum Signature]  I have no signature.  [Forum Signature]

post #17 of 114

WTF. I just tried repeatedly tapping the Call button in the Emergency Call lock screen dialer on my iPhone 4 on iOS7, but couldn't get the bug to work. Either the bug only happens on certain iPhones, or I wasn't persistent enough.

I guess we'll just have to take the guy's word for it.

post #18 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Weird that you’re the first to notice this. Weird that the article was written at all.

The point of the article isn't that you can make an emergency call when the phone is locked -- that's an intentional feature that's also found on Android phones. You're not supposed to have to get your thumb print or pattern unlock right when you're being chased by somebody or bleeding after an accident. The exploit that's been reported in Fortune is that you can make a call to ANY number. 

In other words, what the poster you quoted was "the first to notice" and you echoed is an incorrect interpretation of Fortune's report.
post #19 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonevw View Post

I tried it but couldn't get it to do it

Just worked on my 4s. Enter the number you want to call then repeatedly hit the green call button. After 10 clicks or so it freezes and resets. During the reset the call is connected.

You can't dial any additional numbers after it's connected and to Hangup you need a pass code or you have to turn the phone off.
post #20 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Quote:

The point of the article isn't that you can make an emergency call when the phone is locked -- that's an intentional feature that's also found on Android phones. You're not supposed to have to get your thumb print or pattern unlock right when you're being chased by somebody or bleeding after an accident. The exploit that's been reported in Fortune is that you can make a call to ANY number. 

In other words, what the poster you quoted was "the first to notice" and you echoed is an incorrect interpretation of Fortune's report.

Pretty sure the guy you responded to was making fun of the guy he responded to
post #21 of 114
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post
Pretty sure the guy you responded to was making fun of the guy he responded to

Nope. Haven’t you always been able to make any call from there? Were it just a line into 911, there would only be one button there: “911”. 

post #22 of 114
Quote:

Nope. Haven’t you always been able to make any call from there? Were it just a line into 911, there would only be one button there: “911”. 

911 isn't the only emergency number in the world.

But if things worked like you seem to think they do, you should try calling a friend from the emergency call screen.  I think you'll find a "bug", it won't work!  However, if you press the call button repeatedly on iOS7 it may just work.

Edited by DroidFTW - 9/20/13 at 10:06pm
post #23 of 114
Quote:

You'll change your tune should the day ever come you lose your phone.

post #24 of 114
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

911 isn't the only emergency number in the world.

Magical. My statement obviously implies that the button would be either general use or change depending on the area in which you live, but no, let’s go completely ignore the point and focus on that part of it.

However, if you press the call button repeatedly on iOS7 it may just work.

Emphasis on ‘may’.

post #25 of 114

I'd take placing call to someone by repeatedly raping the "Call" button without unlocking bug in iOS7, any day over inexplicable restarts, severe security flaws, hijacks and frequent hangs in all Android versions.

post #26 of 114
There are also battery issues
Even disabling background app updates and Bluetooth off, in one night standby from 100% to 74%...with iOS 6 was 87%...
post #27 of 114
And iTunes Radio not available outside the US
post #28 of 114
Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post
And iTunes Radio not available outside the US

Which isn’t a bug.

post #29 of 114
Correct
post #30 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

To bad the new dialer and awful turquoise blue icons in safari and mail are not bugs also
And the gray on white keyboard😨
post #31 of 114
We can make calls from the lock screen?

That's great!

Call someone who cares.
post #32 of 114
Yes it's a bug! A trick of not using has intended, emergency call.

We all hoped that Apple would implement the emergency call services numbers: (Police, Fire, Ambulance with Dr or other) within
the emergency feature. This would have been a One touch service of those numbers after hitting Emergency, We (I) asked for
this implementation would also allow for Location Services to know which country your in & give One Touch Emergency Services
relating to that country.

This would prevent this bug since it only allows true emergency numbers or your Dr number set by you.
post #33 of 114
Quote:

Magical. My statement obviously implies that the button would be either general use or change depending on the area in which you live, but no, let’s go completely ignore the point and focus on that part of it.

Emphasis on ‘may’.

You keep on defending the undefendable, even when faced with obvious indications that you are wrong and that you don't even know how your phone works.

"If you could call only one number why not only have a 911 button"

Because there are many countries where several emergency numbers exist, like in Europe where you have several numbers for firefighters, ambulance, police, and European emergency number 112.
post #34 of 114

The TouchID seems to work not only with just fingerprints@
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ngVtQtOV4

post #35 of 114

Why go through this trouble when you can use Siri to call any number while the phone is locked?

post #36 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Hi, I'm a professional analyst and tech pundit. Based on this bug, I am downgrading AAPL stock to $80 and SELL. I predict Apple will go bankrupt next week and Samsung will overtake them based solely on the fallout from this egregious big. It means Tim Cook can't code as well as Jobs could. Jobs would've caught this bug in testing and fixed it himself.

LOL, good one. I'd add the /s or /j tag, some idiot will take you seriously for sure.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #37 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Why go through this trouble when you can use Siri to call any number while the phone is locked?

I didn't know that ... really? Got to go and try that.
post #38 of 114
iOS 7 was released a month too early. It's a late beta.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #39 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

iOS 7 was released a month too early. It's a late beta.

I'll take that over 'perpetual beta' like some OSs 1wink.gif
post #40 of 114
If someone has physical possession of your iPhone you have much greater problems than them calling someone using the telephone feature.

Call me when the iPhone has millions of users unintentionally infected with malware or thousands of users have been subjected to remote exploits that allow telephone calls.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bug in iOS 7 allows calls to be placed from locked iPhone