or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October

Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October - Page 4

post #121 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

His option trades have little or no impact on stock prices.

Oh Lordy. If you buy options please lie to me and say you don't. You complain quite often about stock manipulation.
post #122 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I stood in line yesterday and bought my 5S directly from my apple store. Best smartphone I've ever owned.

Today there were still lines of people waiting for 5S.

Here are my quick observations:

There was very little interest in the 5C except from children.

The 5C looked and felt like plastic. Not my cup of tea and that was a major negative point from other adults I talked to at the store.

Most 5C that actually sold (and even the Apple employees admitted it was a slow seller at the store) were parents buying for kids. Some parents opted to buy their kids 5S instead though.

Anyway all that to say. The 5S is an amazing smartphone the most innovative small device I've ever used. Use touch ID a few times and you'll feel the magic I'm talking about. But the 5C on the other hand. Still a head scratcher in my book.

It's not helping Apple's image. It doesn't look that great. And it's not selling well. It may be selling better than last years 4S but that's not saying much IMO.

I'm thinking that the 5C will sell better outside of Applestores, like AT&T stores. People that show up at an Apple store on launch weekend are not the same customers buying phones at one of the carriers stores.
post #123 of 237

Here are a few of my thoughts....

1) Absolutely nothing wrong with a Polycarbonate phone.  They look fine and will withstand an impact better than glass and aluminum....

2) I think the 5s will outsell the 5c over this weekend, however, I think the 5c will outsell the 5s for the rest of the year.   The majority of the more zealous Apple fans will tend to buy the biggest and best for the first few days.  After that,  people who do not tend to get caught up in the initial buzz will start to realize that the 5c is good phone at a lower price.  I installed i0S 7 on my iPad Mini and it seems to be a little faster or about the same. I am sure it runs great on the 5c...

3) I do wish they would put more RAM in the phones...  With a 64bit processor in the 5s it really needs more than 1gb of ram.  Lack of RAM is what makes them slow down as the operating systems are upgraded....

My wife's Gold iPhone 5s should be in next week (ordered it just after midnight).  I canceled the order for my slate iPhone 5s however.  I played with my friend's iPhone 5 this weekend and simply could not get past the narrow screen.  I decided to wait and see if they release one with a wider screen next year.  I have become accustom to 5" screens and it is just hard to go back to such a narrow screen device.  I am a large person with large hands and the larger phones simply work better for me.... However, I am not really an Android fan, but the Android phones do meet my needs and are getting much better...

post #124 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

7 million would be the number... considering that China was included in the launch this time. That would equal last year's launch of the 5.

It would signal no growth over last year... but at least it wouldn't signal negative growth.

Dude, you"re thinking like an "anal-yst" ... or are you just guilty of " looking for the cloud behind the silver lining." Don't over think the situation. Growth is growth. I can tell you for a fact that when my business went up by 40% ... I never once said ... "well yeah, but that's only because I have 40% more customers this year ... so it doesn't count".

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #125 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Dude, you"re thinking like an "anal-yst" ... or are you just guilty of " looking for the cloud behind the silver lining." Don't over think the situation. Growth is growth. I can tell you for a fact that when my business went up by 40% ... I never once said ... "well yeah, but that's only because I have 40% more customers this year ... so it doesn't count".

I'm just stating how the analysts will view the situation.

It will cause them to wait until January before they suggest an upgrade or downgrade.

To me this is like talking about the weather. Small talk. Something I noticed and relayed to someone else.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #126 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Apple has bet the farm on this plastic phone. If your scenario of no interest and low sales were to prove true, it would be a huge disaster for them. 

How do you figure that?  If the 5c is a bad seller, then they will sell a lot more 4s and 5s phones.   It isn't like people will go "I don't like the 5c, so I will buy a Samsung".

Apple will have over $50 earnings per share next year no matter how well the 5c does.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #127 of 237
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Apple will have over $50 earnings per share next year no matter how well the 5c does.

Over the entire year, you mean; not just in a quarter, right? That’s the last thing we need analysts to get wind of. :p

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #128 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

How do you figure that?  If the 5c is a bad seller, then they will sell a lot more 4s and 5s phones.   It isn't like people will go "I don't like the 5c, so I will buy a Samsung".

Apple will just have to sell as many 5c phones as it did selling 4s phones last year when the 5 was introduced. I'm thinking they can do at least that much.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #129 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are replying to blackbook with a very condescending tone, accosting him of being foolish for predicting lower than expected sales of the 5c and not waiting for the released numbers, yet you take an exact, but, opposite stance ahead of the numbers predicting that 'it will sell well'. Seems a tad hypocritical.

Yep, it probably seems that way, but the context is that blackbook has been banging away at the plastic iPhone concept since the first case images were leaked, and I have been banging away back at him, because, 1. after the 6th post or so it gets very tiresome, and 2., he is not using the eyes and hands that nature gave him. It's not a matter of opinion so much as a perceptual defect.

Based on that defect, his prediction of Apple's failure is just too galling.
post #130 of 237

Plan B: 
Went to the VerizonWireless Store today. Had the employee pull out 2 32gb 5S's. Called VerizonWireless, while in the store, waited 40 minutes on hold and then cancelled my order. Purchased my phones in store. Walked out with a smile.

--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
post #131 of 237
I got lucky and picked up a 32 gray at bestbuy after work. I was in and out in about 45 minutes
post #132 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yep, it probably seems that way, but the context is that blackbook has been banging away at the plastic iPhone concept since the first case images were leaked, and I have been banging away back at him, because, 1. after the 6th post or so it gets very tiresome, and 2., he is not using the eyes and hands that nature gave him. It's not a matter of opinion so much as a perceptual defect.

Based on that defect, his prediction of Apple's failure is just too galling.

Hmmm... 

1. Blackbook never said Apple would fail

2. Blackbook has a different opinion about the 5c than you do (defect??!! For f*cks sake, man!)

3. It gets very tiresome to hear someone banging away that the 5c will be a stupendous hit before they see the numbers.

4. If the 5c doesn't sell in the numbers projected by Apple then the price will be lowered for the off contract phone and all will be right with the world again.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #133 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Quote:

His option trades have little or no impact on stock prices.

Oh Lordy. If you buy options please lie to me and say you don't. You complain quite often about stock manipulation.

I have not complained about 'stock manipulation' even once. You're welcome to check my post history. You must have me confused with someone else.

As an aside, I do occasionally buy or sell straight calls or puts. Nothing more complicated than that (i.e., no complex strategies like 'straddles').
post #134 of 237

This is very bad newsfor Samsung.:p

post #135 of 237
Quote:

I have not complained about 'stock manipulation' even once. You're welcome to check my post history. You must have me confused with someone else.

As an aside, I do occasionally buy or sell straight calls or puts. Nothing more complicated than that (i.e., no complex strategies like 'straddles').

Actually I think you have more or less rolled your eyes at the mention of manipulation.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #136 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Hey folks, it's 5s, not 5S. 5c, not 5C. This matters, particularly for those selling them. :)

No, you're typing it wrong. It's 5[s] and 5[c].

(hint: We don't actually care.)

post #137 of 237
Quote:

What the f*ck, man. Do you think I really care. I'm just stating how the analysts will view the situation. Period.

It will cause them to wait until January before they suggest an upgrade or downgrade.

To me this is like talking about the weather. Small talk. Something I noticed and relayed to someone else.

Perhaps, to clear up any "confusion" ... if you were to preface your remarks with... "the analysts will probably say" .... it would leave no doubt that that is, not in fact, your opinion...... because, as you probably know, if it walks like a duck, et. etc. .... Sorry if I wasn't able to "interpret" your thoughts. 

post #138 of 237
Quote:

That's my bad. Sorry. But just so I can be right about *something*, I'm going to say I AM familiar enough with your posts that I don't need to check your history. 1wink.gif
post #139 of 237
Quote:

Hmmm... 

1. Blackbook never said Apple would fail

2. Blackbook has a different opinion about the 5c than you do

3. It gets very tiresome to hear someone banging away that the 5c will be a stupendous hit before they see the numbers.

4. If the 5c doesn't sell in the numbers projected by Apple then the price will be lowered for the off contract phone and all will be right with the world again.

Blackbook did not work out the implications of (his saying that) the 5c would be dud. If Apple were to miss with the 5c, then all the negative press and market sentiment, etc., would go from the present noise level to an actual destructive force.

Not seeing that Apple is now doing structural plastic the way they did structural aluminum is a failure of perception. They are redefining the way phones are built—again. To miss that is to makes any opinion you have about the appeal of the 5c worthless, except as a psychological curiosity. Square but rounded shoulders, a flat back, machined holes, and a reinforcing antenna are not trivial details, they're architecture. It isn't a snap-on plastic shell with hardly any thought given to function, in other words. Ive's seriousness of purpose is transmitted to the susceptible person handling the phone more or less unconsciously. If you can't look, actually feel, past the color and the polymer and realize this, it is really just an indication that you're not perceptually susceptible.

The colors are a matter of opinion and taste. My comment about their not being my colors should have reflected that, so that two-dimensional thinkers would not seize on it.

Yes I know it must be tiresome to you who either side with blackbook or don't care, but I wouldn't be sticking out my neck with rosy predictions if the "cheap plastic" meme weren't spreading like a disease.
Edited by Flaneur - 9/22/13 at 12:58pm
post #140 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

We had a lot more 5S than we had 5's at launch.

Biggest sale days ever.

That's good to know - since Apple will sell every one they can make, availability will be the limiting factor. If they had more than last year, numbers should be good.

Quote:

7 million would be the number... considering that China was included in the launch this time. That would equal last year's launch of the 5.

It would signal no growth over last year... but at least it wouldn't signal negative growth.

You could argue for any number of adjustments, but in this case, the correct adjustment is 0.00. Apple sold everyone they had on opening weekend - just like last year, so if they beat last year at all, it's a gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Yeah I suspect the 5C is going to turn out to be a flop unfortunately, its neither here nor there, it should of been cheaper, then maybe it would have a market.

Uh huh. Want to bet? The 5C will sell better than the 4S did when the iPhone 5 came out. It will undoubtedly be the best selling 'better' phone Apple has ever offered.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #141 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Are you sure Apple will make a biggerScreen iPhone by then?

My iPhone 5 is my secondary phone, and I use a Galaxy Note 2 as my primary phone. If Apple have not figured out by this time next year that screen size in a phone is quite an important factor, I am not sure if the Apple executives actually know what is going on in the world outside of Apple. Although this was not true maybe 2 years ago, Apple is not the only game in town anymore. There are alternatives that is equal and even better than what Apple is offering at the moment.

post #142 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

No, you're typing it wrong. It's 5[s] and 5[c].

(hint: We don't actually care.)

Oh really? Should you or I inform Apple that they too are typing it wrong?

Only disingenuous or unintelligent folks go around claiming that they don't care and yet care enough to respond. Hint: Some are both.
post #143 of 237
Quote:

Oh really? Should you or I inform Apple that they too are typing it wrong?

Only disingenuous or unintelligent folks go around claiming that they don't care and yet care enough to respond. Hint: Some are both.

The OP is correct. Go look for yourself how Apple writes it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/design/
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #144 of 237
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Go look for yourself how Apple writes it.

Yes, please do.

And don’t try to give me crap about how “it’s impossible to write “correctly” using normal fonts”. It isn’t. iPhone 5ⓒ. And no, that’s not the copyright symbol.

post #145 of 237
Quote:

The OP is correct. Go look for yourself how Apple writes it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/design/

They write it iPhone 5c and not 5C, just as I said. So what's your point?

post #146 of 237
Quote:

They write it iPhone 5c and not 5C, just as I said. So what's your point?

It seemed like you were arguing against it, apologies. The OP made a poor attempt and making a square using [ and ]
post #147 of 237
Quote:

It seemed like you were arguing against it, apologies. The OP made a poor attempt and making a square using [ and ]

Np. This thread is popular and it's hard to trace. At least you admitted your mistake. Many around here would not have done so.

I wonder if Apple made it 5c and 5s because 5S looks too much like S5 in some fonts, thus creating confusing when Samsung releases their next Galaxy phone.

post #148 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Yeah I suspect the 5C is going to turn out to be a flop unfortunately, its neither here nor there, it should of been cheaper, then maybe it would have a market.

I tend to agree. This may be Tim's first big blunder. (far from disaster)

People don't want to 'settle' when buying a high-end Apple device. That's why they are buying a high-end Apple device in the first place.

post #149 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn’t sell out in 40 seconds. Apple is doomed.

"Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October"

Stock to tank Monday morning. News at eleven.

post #150 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

The new camera and fingerprint win for me.

Senator Al Franken isn't going to like this.

post #151 of 237
Quote:

Hey folks, it's 5s, not 5S. 5c, not 5C. This matters, particularly for those selling them. :)

Looking around the internet, it's surprising how much tech pundits have the names of the new iPhones wrong.

Most tech pundits still spell it Iphone. What's your point?

post #152 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I stood in line yesterday and bought my 5S directly from my apple store. Best smartphone I've ever owned.

Today there were still lines of people waiting for 5S.

Here are my quick observations:

There was very little interest in the 5C except from children.

The 5C looked and felt like plastic. Not my cup of tea and that was a major negative point from other adults I talked to at the store.

Most 5C that actually sold (and even the Apple employees admitted it was a slow seller at the store) were parents buying for kids. Some parents opted to buy their kids 5S instead though.  

Anyway all that to say. The 5S is an amazing smartphone the most innovative small device I've ever used. Use touch ID a few times and you'll feel the magic I'm talking about. But the 5C on the other hand. Still a head scratcher in my book.

It's not helping Apple's image. It doesn't look that great. And it's not selling well. It may be selling better than last years 4S but that's not saying much IMO.

I bought my daughter a 5c yellow version and it was the last one walmart had, the sales associate told me they have sold over 300 5c's this last week on preorder and instore, so I guess its where your at. Walmart said that they sold a ton of 5c's.  Also the 5c is very solid and not cheap.  It feels like it is made from one solid peice of material.

I was just at the local apple store today and they told me they have sold over 1000 5c's, of varying colors, and about 1500 5s's which is there entire stock they dont have either phone in stock (5c or 5s).

Edited by Mechanic - 9/22/13 at 1:38pm
post #153 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

You are not the only one. I really wish Apple had put the 5S hardware inside of a 5C chassis

They will next year when the 5s guts are put in the new 5c.

post #154 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

You are not the only one. I really wish Apple had put the 5S hardware inside of a 5C chassis

They will next year when the 5s guts are put in the new 5c.

Wouldn't that be 6c¿
post #155 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakub View Post

I WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE/HELP PLEASE....

IM NOT HAPPY WITH THE WAY I AM TREATED OR SERVED AT THE APPLE STORE BY THE MANAGER AND AFEW STAFF...

INCIDENTS IN THE LAST WEEK 

ONE MEMBER OF STAFF ASKING ME WHERE I HAVE I GOT A £2000 GIFT CARD FROM? ITS A GIFT CARD WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK ITS FROM!! ALSO MIND UR OWN BUSINESS! DO YOUR JOB AND SERVE ME!! 

ALSO

WHEN I ASKED TO BUY SOME GIFT CARDS ONE MEMBER OF STAFF SAYS I CAN ONLY BUY £4000 A DAY ANOTHER SAYS £5000! MAKE YOUR MIND UP PLEASE!!

ALSO 

WHEN I WANTED THE £4000 SPILT OVER TWO GIFT CARDS I WAS TOLD ITS GOT TO BE ON ONE CARD??

WHY??? I WANT TO GIVE 4 FRIENDS £1000 GIFT CARDS EACH CAN I NOT DO THAT ?? WHY IS IT THAT YOU STOPPED ME??? 

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY COMPLAINTS PLEASE HELP ME WHERE CAN I GO TO GET HELP TO GET MORE ADVICE SO I CAN TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST THE COMPANY BECAUSE THERE POLICY IS BENT FOR EACH CUSTOMER!!

What a waste of space and words.  Go contact a lawyer and watch them laugh!

post #156 of 237
Quote:

That question was actually meant for Hill60 but for some reason or another it quoted you. I changed it but I guess Hill60 didn't notice.

We sold more 5s than we sold 5s.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #157 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wouldn't that be 6c¿

Ah Yes!  You would be right.

post #158 of 237
Originally Posted by yakub View Post
I WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE/HELP PLEASE....

Buy a new keyboard first.

WHY??? I WANT TO GIVE 4 FRIENDS £1000 GIFT CARDS EACH CAN I NOT DO THAT ??

Not with two gift cards totally 4K, you can’t.

WHERE CAN I GO TO GET HELP TO GET MORE ADVICE SO I CAN TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST THE COMPANY

Here’s some legal advice: shush.

post #159 of 237

Im a long holder of Apple.  I don't get that the stock isn't being eaten up with a PE of 12.  If they are holding back supply on release dates to create hype, I'm not down with that.  If so, that is a Beanie Baby strategy.  I am hoping they far surpassed the 5 million phones.  We'll see tomorrow.

post #160 of 237
The 5s is sold out but Apple still not getting much love from the major networks. CNN says of Apple " Samsung is still eating your lunch!" I hope those sales figures that comes out tomorrow makes them all eat something different. LOL
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October