or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces sales of 9 million iPhone 5s & 5c units in first 3 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces sales of 9 million iPhone 5s & 5c units in first 3 days - Page 3

post #81 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulebreaker View Post

Doomed, I tell you.

 

Clearly Tim Cook and Company don't know what they are doing.  Expect the stock to drop some more. /s

post #82 of 219
Some clown on CNBC just referred to these 9 million + as an "Apple army" and that lack of innovation will keep the stock down. lol.gif And then good old Peter Misek comes on to downplay these numbers and claim that growth is essentially flat and the products are too expensive for China, blah blah blah. Even the CNBC host has to stop him because he was talking so stupid. lol.gif

Basically Wall Street got this wrong and rather than admit they got it wrong they're finding any way they can to downplay the numbers. What a bunch of losers. 1rolleyes.gif
post #83 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

 

I think the 5S is more of an improvement over the 5 than the media first thought. Speed, Security, and camera. I think those are massive improvements. Especially the speed/chips.

 
I can see the 5S being most popular with early adopters...they are into having the best kit available. The 5C will be a hit eventually. The colors really are striking alongside iOS7.

 

I don't think there was ever any doubt about the 5s.

 
The real test for the 5c will be the Christmas crowd. I think you'll be seeing a lot of 7 - 13 year old kids with color iPhones in January.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #84 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
 

<video>

 

Someone had waaaay too much time on his or her hands. :)

 

Well done Apple! Boom. :)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #85 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some clown on CNBC just referred to these 9 million + as an "Apple army" and that lack of innovation will keep the stock down. lol.gif And then good old Peter Misek comes on to downplay these numbers and claim that growth is essentially flat and the products are too expensive for China, blah blah blah. Even the CNBC host has to stop him because he was talking so stupid. lol.gif

Basically Wall Street got this wrong and rather than admit they got it wrong they're finding any way they can to downplay the numbers. What a bunch of losers. 1rolleyes.gif

 

ha thats funny.  Misek is doubling down

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
post #86 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I don't think there was ever any doubt about the 5s.

 
The real test for the 5c will be the Christmas crowd. I think you'll be seeing a lot of 7 - 13 year old kids with color iPhones in January.

 

Agreed. :)

post #87 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some clown on CNBC just referred to these 9 million + as an "Apple army" and that lack of innovation will keep the stock down. lol.gif And then good old Peter Misek comes on to downplay these numbers and claim that growth is essentially flat and the products are too expensive for China, blah blah blah. Even the CNBC host has to stop him because he was talking so stupid. lol.gif

Basically Wall Street got this wrong and rather than admit they got it wrong they're finding any way they can to downplay the numbers. What a bunch of losers. 1rolleyes.gif

This Misek guy is beginning to sound almost as pathetic as the apoplectic fandroids on cnet.com and theverge.com. (You should wander over and browse -- it's hilarious).

$425, buddy?

He's an embarrassment to Jefferies & Co. How can anyone remotely trust that company's research, if this is the kind of nonsense they trot out?!
post #88 of 219

I love this whole "new markets don't count as growth" theory. They're selling more iPhones.

 

Under that logic, Apple would do just as well to manufacture literally one single iPhone each year and sell it in the market of "My house". Same relative sales, right? Why go through all the bother of making millions of them if it's all the same difference?

 

More is more, and we'll see that in the 4th quarter numbers. 

post #89 of 219

Hey! The 2nd gen of the Microsoft Surface is being unveiled today! Anyone want to head over to the presentation? Anyone... Hello!

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #90 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I don't think that's obvious at all.

Even if the 3.7X ratio is correct, the 5C would have sold 2 M phones in 3 days. You can count the number of phones that sold that many in one weekend on the fingers of one hand - and most of them are previous iPhones.

2 M of ANY new phone in one weekend is impressive - and when it contains previous generation internals, it's even more impressive.

 

Well, if you go back to previous threads you will see that whenever I or a few others said that the 5C would, at best, only sell as many phones as previous 2nd generation phones then you'll see the irrational responses by quite a few members who said the 5c would be a blow-out seller. Sorry... 2 million is not a blow-out seller [for an iPhone]. 6 million units of the 5s is a blow-out seller.

Clearly you have trouble putting things into context.

 

For now, it's just those that want the latest and greatest and were waiting for it (5s). On the long term... That's the 5c's card. Android switchers, those that were buying the 4 and 4s, etc.

 

2 million is nothing short of phenomenal.

post #91 of 219
For those who doesn't know how Stock Market works.
- Everytime when Apple announce "Cool" new product, stock went down, for about 10-20%.
- People are exiting the market because they want to "cash out" stocks first, so they earned whatever they brought previously.
- Stocks are sell out, so stock went down
- Until the actual launch day, people are excited about the "cool" product
- so they start buying stocks again, at a lowest point.
- Once they reach the optimum level, they sell out stock again
- Which probably another cool product has announced.
You know what that means to big firms?
e.g. They invest $1B at low price, and sell out at 20% higher.
Do you want to earn $200,000,000 in just 2 weeks?

My point is, don't just look at the stock markets, they are not an indication of reaction of the "cool" product.
It is just a way, those big firms makes money.
post #92 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

Hey! The 2nd gen of the Microsoft Surface is being unveiled today! Anyone want to head over to the presentation? Anyone... Hello!

 

I love how CNET apparently thinks this is bigger news than the Apple numbers. 

post #93 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
 

Clearly you have trouble putting things into context.

 

For now, it's just those that want the latest and greatest and were waiting for it (5s). On the long term... That's the 5c's card. Android switchers, those that were buying the 4 and 4s, etc.

 

2 million is nothing short of phenomenal.

 

Clearly you don't get it.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #94 of 219
They sold more because it was released in more countries, not because it is more popular, yet the stock is up. Wall Street people haven't a clue.
post #95 of 219

iPhone 5s - s is for "sales"

 

... I don't understand why anyone wants the 5s, you can't video someone's head bobbing up and down while they sleep on a plane then you loop the 3-second video to show it to them in laughter -- now that's innovation, thank you Samsung!!

/s

post #96 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post
 

iPhone 5s - s is for "sales"

 

... I don't understand why anyone wants the 5s, you can't video someone's head bobbing up and down while they sleep on a plane then you loop the 3-second video to show it to them in laughter -- now that's innovation, thank you Samsung!!

/s

 

I don't know what you're talking about. I use that feature at all the parties. /s

post #97 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
 

Clearly you have trouble putting things into context.

 

For now, it's just those that want the latest and greatest and were waiting for it (5s). On the long term... That's the 5c's card. Android switchers, those that were buying the 4 and 4s, etc.

 

2 million is nothing short of phenomenal.

 

Clearly you don't get it.

I'm ready to learn.

post #98 of 219
Just curious, does anyone know how many devices are running Windows 8?
post #99 of 219

Well done Apple!

 

I can't imagine the numbers next year, when there is a larger iPhone display.

post #100 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

They sold more because it was released in more countries, not because it is more popular, yet the stock is up. Wall Street people haven't a clue.

 

Not sure if sarcasm there, but why does it matter if the "more people" buying it are American or Chinese? Bottom line, Apple made more iPhones and sold more iPhones. There's no funny business in those numbers. 

post #101 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

NINE MILLION

Any drive-by trolls from last few days spreading FUD and faux worrying about Apple's competitiveness want to step up and admit you were full of shit? No? Anyone? Oh I see, you've all disappeared back into your Android holes once facts have been published. See you back the next time there's FUD-spreading opportunities.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #102 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

They sold more because it was released in more countries, not because it is more popular, yet the stock is up. Wall Street people haven't a clue.
So what? Wall Street knew all of this and still were not predicting 9M sales. Plus I think it's pretty damn impressive regardless. Who else is able to sell that many phones that quickly? Didn't it take Samsung a month to get to 10M Galaxy S4's?
post #103 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Not sure if sarcasm there, but why does it matter if the "more people" buying it are American or Chinese? Bottom line, Apple made more iPhones and sold more iPhones. There's no funny business in those numbers. 
I guess the argument is numbers were just shifted by adding two additional launch countries. But so what? The fact remains everyone knew there were two additional launch countries and still no one was predicting 9M sales. Apple clearly blew past most people's explanations.
post #104 of 219

Wow grats Apple! Jesus, made my day too!


Edited by murman - 9/23/13 at 8:06am
post #105 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some clown on CNBC just referred to these 9 million + as an "Apple army" and that lack of innovation will keep the stock down. lol.gif And then good old Peter Misek comes on to downplay these numbers and claim that growth is essentially flat and the products are too expensive for China, blah blah blah. Even the CNBC host has to stop him because he was talking so stupid. lol.gif

Basically Wall Street got this wrong and rather than admit they got it wrong they're finding any way they can to downplay the numbers. What a bunch of losers. 1rolleyes.gif

 

Well thanks to those guys I bought at $484 and cover the puts of my straddle. Good timing for me really.  Planning to ride to next event and re-evaluated my positions at that time.

post #106 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


So what? Wall Street knew all of this and still were not predicting 9M sales. Plus I think it's pretty damn impressive regardless. Who else is able to sell that many phones that quickly? Didn't it take Samsung a month to get to 10M Galaxy S4's?

 

Shipped... not sold.   ;)
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #107 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

Hey! The 2nd gen of the Microsoft Surface is being unveiled today! Anyone want to head over to the presentation? Anyone... Hello!

 

No thanks. If it's anything like the last one, it's just too painful to watch.

post #108 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
 

 

Not sure if sarcasm there, but why does it matter if the "more people" buying it are American or Chinese? Bottom line, Apple made more iPhones and sold more iPhones. There's no funny business in those numbers. 

 

I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, but the point some are trying to make here is that they did not sell more than last year because they are selling in more countries.

 

It is a matter of perception.

 

If you removed the new tier 1 release countries like China from the equation, how many iPhones will Apple have sold? That is the true number if you want to compare it with last year.

 

Some are seeing it as buffing up the number by launching in more countries initially and then sales will taper off more rapidly because there are now less countries to pick up the slack in 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier etc launches.

 

IF Apple were to sell 100 million phones this quarter. Will it make a difference if 9 million are sold in the first 3 days and the other 91 million in remaining quarter or if Apple sold 5 million in the first 3 days and the other 95 million in the remaining quarter? Both add up to 100 million but the first sounds alot better.

post #109 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, if you go back to previous threads you will see that whenever I or a few others said that the 5C would, at best, only sell as many phones as previous 2nd generation phones then you'll see the irrational responses by quite a few members who said the 5c would be a blow-out seller. Sorry... 2 million is not a blow-out seller [for an iPhone]. 6 million units of the 5s is a blow-out seller.

List all the phones on the planet which sold 2 M in 3 days. I would guess that there are a couple of iPhones, maybe one or two Galaxy models.

Now, consider that every one of those (with the 5C being the sole exception) was a new generation phone offering new features and the latest internals. The 5C is using previous generation internals - and is AFAIK the only phone EVER to sell that many on launch weekend with previous generation internals.

So, yes, by any rational standard, sales were excellent.

And, no, I refuse to be measured by someone who thought the 5C would be a blow-out seller. I'm simply debunking the whining of people like you who consider it to be a flop because it sold 'only' 2 M units in 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess the argument is numbers were just shifted by adding two additional launch countries. But so what? The fact remains everyone knew there were two additional launch countries and still no one was predicting 9M sales. Apple clearly blew past most people's explanations.

Additional launch countries is really a red herring. Apple sold every one they had on hand and is backordered by millions of units. If they hadn't added the additional countries, they would have had more on hand for the US and other countries - and would have sold them, anyway.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #110 of 219

I hope this announcement will make everyone sleep better, at least for one night, and stop bickering, at least for one day. Clearly, Apple's product management strategy is once again on the mark.

post #111 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess the argument is numbers were just shifted by adding two additional launch countries. But so what? The fact remains everyone knew there were two additional launch countries and still no one was predicting 9M sales. Apple clearly blew past most people's explanations.

Additional launch countries is really a red herring. Apple sold every one they had on hand and is backordered by millions of units. If they hadn't added the additional countries, they would have had more on hand for the US and other countries - and would have sold them, anyway.

Perhaps this informs us it is absurd to bicker while guess-timating what the sales numbers might be? Perhaps this shows that it is silly to take argumentative stands and refuse to budge, all of while calling each other dumb?

post #112 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post
 

 

I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, 

 

It sure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post
 

 

I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, but the point some are trying to make here is that they did not sell more than last year because they are selling in more countries.

Why do we care what contrarian views say? Why are people here so determined to argue each other out of their positions when everyone is pretty much intransigent?

post #113 of 219

Where are you guys getting the 2 million iPhone 5c numbers, you are arguing over a made up number pulled out of someones ass.

post #114 of 219
I'd like to know what that 9 million includes. Is it actual deliveries of phones or does that number include the website orders that won't be delivered for 7-10 days. I always thought the 5 million number put out was the number of phones actually available on the first weekend the phones were available. If they delivered 9 million phones unbelievable. If that 9 million includes unfilled orders, still impressive, but not as impressive.
post #115 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, if you go back to previous threads you will see that whenever I or a few others said that the 5C would, at best, only sell as many phones as previous 2nd generation phones then you'll see the irrational responses by quite a few members who said the 5c would be a blow-out seller. Sorry... 2 million is not a blow-out seller [for an iPhone]. 6 million units of the 5s is a blow-out seller.
 
List all the phones on the planet which sold 2 M in 3 days. I would guess that there are a couple of iPhones, maybe one or two Galaxy models.
 

How do we know 5c only sold 2M units?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 
The real test for the 5c will be the Christmas crowd. I think you'll be seeing a lot of 7 - 13 year old kids with color iPhones in January.
 

 

Not a test. It will just be a cool observation. You're taking the joy out of this by *judging* Apple based on hypothetical tests when neither you nor anyone else is qualified to do so.

post #116 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
 

Where are you guys getting the 2 million iPhone 5c numbers, you are arguing over a made up number pulled out of someones ass.

 

This.

post #117 of 219

Incredible results! Congrats to all who own shares of AAPL! :)

 

And no, Apple should not lower any of their prices, because three cheap bastards on the internet demanded that they should.

post #118 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
 

Where are you guys getting the 2 million iPhone 5c numbers, you are arguing over a made up number pulled out of someones ass.

 

Exactly.

 

Apple has never broken out sales number by model, and they never will.

post #119 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappsny View Post

I'd like to know what that 9 million includes. Is it actual deliveries of phones or does that number include the website orders that won't be delivered for 7-10 days. I always thought the 5 million number put out was the number of phones actually available on the first weekend the phones were available. If they delivered 9 million phones unbelievable. If that 9 million includes unfilled orders, still impressive, but not as impressive.

It's what was delivered/available over the weekend. It doesn't include back orders (ie future ship dates)
post #120 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And, no, I refuse to be measured by someone who thought the 5C would be a blow-out seller. I'm simply debunking the whining of people like you who consider it to be a flop because it sold 'only' 2 M units in 3 days.

 

Go suck a lemon.

 

I have never ever said the 5C is a flop. I said it wouldn't sell as well as some here predicted.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces sales of 9 million iPhone 5s & 5c units in first 3 days