or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft outs new Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 in latest pitch to tablet generation

Microsoft outs new Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 in latest pitch to tablet generation - Page 2

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

So riddle me this, Microsoft manages to get Haswell into this POS-2, yet the rMBP STILL doesn't have it yet. 

And you know Apple doesn't have a Haswell rMBP refresh lined up for release later this year based on what information exactly?

post #42 of 95
Here's what you need, as documented on MS website, to run Windows 7:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

You ain't getting that in the chip inside the surface. The tablets in question aren't built with the robust architecture as a traditional fully featured pc/laptop.
And Apple doesn't tout the iPad as being able to run like a macbook pro.
So MS can release SURFER PRO OR IS YO MAMA A PRO all day and it won't mean a darn thing.
post #43 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Surface Pro 2 has a dock allowing two monitors to be connected. I think you can get work done on those......

So does my Mac Mini.  What's your point, again?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #44 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:

Surface Pro 2 has a dock allowing two monitors to be connected. I think you can get work done on those......

So does my Mac Mini.  What's your point, again?

Well first of all, your mac mini isn't a tablet. So what's your point exactly?

post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So when are they released? 

Is… is this going to be another Osborne? Oh, PLEASE let it be another Osborne.

“But you’d have to have people actually wanting the first model for that to be the case.”

Not necessarily. How big was Osborne, anyway? lol.gif

Windows 8 doesn’t run well with 29 GB of RAM…

I'd forgot about that thing. I had one, everyone thought I had a portable sewing machine with me.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #46 of 95
Quote:

So then you have to add the price of the dock, external monitor, and true keyboard to arrive at the price of a configuration to do real work on. (Yes I know you can just reuse an old monitor, but that has value too.)  But that's not how they market the Surface Pro.  They market it as something you can run legacy Windows applications (such as Office) on straight out of the box.  Left unsaid is what a poor experience that would be on a tiny screen.

Microsoft is truly clueless.  The sooner they can get all of their services in the cloud and cut bait with the mobile version of Windows OS, the better.  Ballmer never could wrap his mind around the fact that "Windows Everywhere" is actually not a good strategy.

Thompson

post #47 of 95
Quote:

Well, it sounded like you might be advocating that you need an external monitor or two in order to be productive on your tablet.

post #48 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Quote:

So then you have to add the price of the dock, external monitor, and true keyboard to arrive at the price of a configuration to do real work on. (Yes I know you can just reuse an old monitor, but that has value too.)  But that's not how they market the Surface Pro.  They market it as something you can run legacy Windows applications (such as Office) on straight out of the box.  Left unsaid is what a poor experience that would be on a tiny screen.

Microsoft is truly clueless.  The sooner they can get all of their services in the cloud and cut bait with the mobile version of Windows OS, the better.  Ballmer never could wrap his mind around the fact that "Windows Everywhere" is actually not a good strategy.

Thompson

I realize this is not what a lot of people want in a tablet. For some that need to use more powerful applications and want portability this may be a good choice. As soon as you can dock your mac mini and then take it with you to a meeting (on battery power) etc, etc, let me know. Still looking for that built in display on the mini too.

post #49 of 95
Quote:

Defeats the purpose of a tablet, doesn't it?

Second kickstand position = innovation. /s

Now that the landfills in NM are filled with ET games and Surface tablets, I guess Nevada should get prepping for these failures.
post #50 of 95
Well, I guess there's no flop so big that you can't top it on your next effort...
post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:

Well, it sounded like you might be advocating that you need an external monitor or two in order to be productive on your tablet.

Ok I get you. Yes there is added cost to get to that setup to get "real" work done. Certainly we can agree working on large spreadsheets or whatever isn't ideal on a 10" display.

post #52 of 95
"...graphics performance by 50 percent and battery life by 75 percent. Overall performance is said to be up 20 percent..."

It really takes a rocket scientist to figure out why S2 could be successful...
post #53 of 95
Quote:

I realize this is not what a lot of people want in a tablet. For some that need to use more powerful applications and want portability this may be a good choice. As soon as you can dock your mac mini and then take it with you to a meeting (on battery power) etc, etc, let me know. Still looking for that built in display on the mini too.

I'm not the one that mentioned a Mini.  I would think it would be more appropriate to compare an iPad docking solution (which perhaps doesn't exist yet... at least not with mouse support instead of touch) or a MacBook Air with dock.  (A bit more expensive than the Surface Pro, but not much more on a percentage basis, considering the overall cost of accessories, and a much better solution overall).

There's no two ways about it:  getting a Surface Pro to do "real work" will bring with it a lot more cost and hassle than Microsoft would have you believe.

Thompson
post #54 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Defeats the purpose of a tablet, doesn't it?

Second kickstand position = innovation. /s

Now that the landfills in NM are filled with ET games and Surface tablets, I guess Nevada should get prepping for these failures.

"Defeats the purpose of a tablet, doesn't it?"

Not really. You can still take it with you for other purposes, doesn't have to be using apps that require a large monitor to use efficiently.

post #55 of 95
A few things stick out in my mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft wrote down $900 million on the initial run of Surface RT devices due to poor sales.
Quote:

The entire first generation of Surface devices is believed to have generated about $853 million for Microsoft, with the Surface Pro accounting for most of that revenue.
Quote:
laptop-tablet hybrid has only seen one major design shift: the addition of a second possible position for its built-in kickstand.

Still all over the kickstand and now 3 keyboard covers. Sad when this is what they have to hype about re: the design. No mention of display quality, screen sensativity etc. Just new keyboards and the kickstand
Quote:
Internally, though, the Surface Pro 2 has several considerable upgrades. In terms of storage, the device is now available in 256GB and 512GB configurations as well as the 64GB and 128GB options consumers had with the original Surface Pro. The devices also have the option of 8GB of RAM.

Perhaps most importantly, the Surface Pro 2 has significantly more battery life than its predecessor. Microsoft updated the device with Intel's new Haswell line of processors.

Well they are pushing it was a laptop in tablet form so some laptop strength internals are nice
Quote:
. The firm also showed off a mixing-pad attachment that clicks onto the Surface, giving users the ability to remix their own music on the go.

Cue more of the dubstep commercials.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #56 of 95
They actually made the ARM version MORE confusing for consumers, by dropping the 'RT'. Now it's just Surface and Surface Pro, so people have even less idea that there is a fundamental difference between the two.
post #57 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

People are angry at me. 

Not a shock. There are Windows/office fanbois

That said, I've used iWork on the iPad and it's far from perfect. The desktop version would be fine if it mirrored the 'in the cloud' at least in terms of UI. Both need some plug in power for things like MathType, more templates (esp the iOS versions) to really take on Office

post #58 of 95
Click............. Click. OMG, yet one more position on the kickstand.

And I'm sure a handful of people will line up 5 minutes before the doors open to buy one.
post #59 of 95

I want to get the one with half a terabyte of memory.  How much is that going to set me back?  I'm too lazy to actually go to the MS site to find out.

post #60 of 95
It has always intrigued me why "working" is praised so highly. Perhaps the people who own us want it that way? I prefer to play rather than working all day making money for the owners of production. At least I can choose whether to work or play with an iPad. On a surface I suppose the slaves can "work" or do break dancing on the corporate board room table!
post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I want to get the one with half a terabyte of memory.  How much is that going to set me back?  I'm too lazy to actually go to the MS site to find out.

I love it, the Surface 2 is available for pre-order tomorrow at 8am.  But the link that announces this goes nowhere.  You can't actually "get ready" like it promises.  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/DisplayHomePage

post #62 of 95
Heres what I would like to see. Do a survey of typical uses for a tablet. Break it down by say home adult users, home kids under 16 users, high school students, college students, teachers, medical workers, artists and business users. That would cover a nice spectrum of cases.

Then, assuming the new iPads have the same A7/M7 combo, and I hope all of them do, benchmark that processor against a Surface Pro and a RT. Internet performance, touch response, etc.

Then let's talk about whether MS has a hit or miss.

post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

It has always intrigued me why "working" is praised so highly. Perhaps the people who own us want it that way? I prefer to play rather than working all day making money for the owners of production. At least I can choose whether to work or play with an iPad. On a surface I suppose the slaves can "work" or do break dancing on the corporate board room table!

I'm not bothered by the focus on working just at the narrow definition. Not everyone works by sitting at a desk crunching numbers

post #64 of 95

Here's a preview of the packaging...

post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

So riddle me this, Microsoft manages to get Haswell into this POS-2, yet the rMBP STILL doesn't have it yet. 

Ahem... the POS-2 isn't available for another month.

post #66 of 95
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
Here's a preview of the packaging...

You can also get Enterprise, Basic, and Home Premium.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #67 of 95
This will be even more irrelevant than the original.
post #68 of 95
Just before launch of the new surface tablets Apple will announce an all new iPad, thinner, lighter & faster than Surface and with Touch ID.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleywkl View Post

It really takes a rocket scientist to figure out why S2 could be successful...

I think you're putting way too much pressure on rocket scientists.

post #70 of 95

October...

post #71 of 95

Point is you need to use the thing with a floppy little keyboard so if you've going to attach two monitors, you might as well get a Mac Mini.

post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post

"is responsible for developing both the tablet's software and hardware...."

Who are they going to blame, in case of failure, then ?

The Helmsman...it's always the helmsman.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #73 of 95

"CREATOR:(I just couldn't resist not using this photo)

And Tim Cook's response to the new Surface Pro 2 products.

post #74 of 95

Speaking of floppy, here's an idea for the next Surface v. Siri commercial: show someone working with a USB 3.5" drive on their Surface.  That could be a little jab by MS on Apple's disasterous decision to drop the internal floppy drive with the original iMac.  The closing tag line could be "Microsoft: tethering the future to the past."

post #75 of 95
Crap! Now we are going to get some more inane "click-a-ty" commercials! Ugh! 1smile.gif
post #76 of 95

I don't think that this deserved an article space on AI. Surface what?!

post #77 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Crap! Now we are going to get some more inane "click-a-ty" commercials! Ugh! 1smile.gif

Yeah, instead of the keyboard cover going click, and the kickstand going click only once, now we are going to have click, click, click.

How annoying.

But, but we have a KICKSTAND that goes CLICK, CLICK.  

Yeah, next year..... introducing the new Surface Pro 3. Click, click, click
The year after,  Introducing the Surface Pro 4, click, click, click, click.

OK Microsoft, we get it.  The big innovation is a kickstand that clicks in TWO positions.
post #78 of 95

post #79 of 95

FINALLY!!!

- No One, Anywhere

post #80 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So when are they released? 

Is… is this going to be another Osborne? Oh, PLEASE let it be another Osborne.

Oct 22.   Full month to build up the marketing team to recruit people to stand in line.

But that gives Apple a Month (I hope, I hope, I hope) to announce a new iPad prior to the Xmas season.   And given Apple's lead time, likely shipping before the 24th.   That sort of 'cross hype' would kill the Surface.  All Apple has to do is release a 'rumor' that they are going to announce... and that would dampen any potential switchers (?????).   An actual announcement of a A6X/A7X M7X sort of iPad Mini/Biggie Rd would just be icing.

Maybe not an Osborne, but close.

In reality, This is a '.1'  sort of release... getting the system to where it should have been 3 years ago, to align with the market expectations.   If there wasn't an iPad out there already, this would be roughly equiv to the iPhone 3G release (This is what we wanted to release, but we weren't ready at the time we needed to release)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft outs new Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 in latest pitch to tablet generation