or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' childhood home could become protected historical site

Steve Jobs' childhood home could become protected historical site

post #1 of 40
Steve Jobs is widely acknowledged to have helped change the way much of the world interact with computers, and now the childhood home of the late Apple co-founder could become a historically preserved site in order to honor his accomplishments.

Steve Jobs' family home, the location where he took part in the construction of the first Apple computer, may soon become a protected historical site, according to CNN. The Lost Altos Historical Commission is looking to conduct a "historic property evaluation" on the property, with a decision to follow soon after.

The Los Altos location, at 2066 Crist Drive, would see preservation if the commission decides it is worth of the historical site designation. Jobs moved to the house with his foster parents as a 7th grader and lived there through high school.

Jobs and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak built the first 50 Apple 1 computers in the house's garage before selling them to Paul Terrell's Byte Shop in Mountain View, Calif., for $500 a piece.

The three-bedroom, two-bathroom ranch-style house was built in 1952. It has a current estimated value of $1.5 million.
post #2 of 40

Could? Should. He’s responsible in a huge way for the state of modern technology.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 40
Hope to see a garage sale there!
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #4 of 40
I believe this to be a very responsible action for the childhood home of an individual that literally changed the world and the course of human history. Damn straight, it should be protected.
post #5 of 40
Who owns the place now? I'm sure they don't really want Lookie Lou's driving by all of the time.
post #6 of 40

Cue the idiots spewing about a "Realty Distortion Field," now :)

post #7 of 40

I certainly think it should be preserved.  Considering in the biography, Jobs said that his design aesthetic was influenced by growing up in an Eichler home (ignoring the fact that this is clearly not an Eichler home), would suggest that something that played a part in the thought processes of a man who influenced design so much should be considered important.

Until right now, when I Googled it, I had no idea where it was.  I didn't realize that every time I go to meet my wife at her work, I'm driving past where Jobs grew up!

post #8 of 40

Why?

post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Why?

Because its the place Steve Jobs grew up.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARCODE View Post

Because its the place Steve Jobs grew up.

Well it's the place where Apple I started.
post #11 of 40

Of course it should be. Just as Thomas Edison's home is.

post #12 of 40

Apple should buy it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #13 of 40
They should also preserve the back seat of the clown car where Steve Ballmer was conceived.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple should buy it.

Good point.

I think it's ironic that Jobs' house will be protected after the long drawn out, ugly battle he personally had where he was prevented from demolishing a protected building.

And $1.5M for a 1950 ranch-style house?  Wow, the silicon valley real estate did alright surviving the housing crash apparently.

post #15 of 40
Quote:
 Steve Jobs' family home, the location where he took part in the construction of the first Apple computer, may soon become a protected historical site.

I thought it already was! Really surprised it isn't yet...but it seems like its going to be, so good!

post #16 of 40

is it their plans to kick out the current owners since it is now a landmark 

post #17 of 40
"It has a current estimated value of $1.5 million."

Gotta love the Bay Area.

I have a lot of friends who have relocated here from and are shocked, floored, and flabbergasted, when they go out house hunting. They come from areas where the home above would cost $150,000, not $1,500,000, and would be torn down immediately to make way for a new one.
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Who owns the place now? I'm sure they don't really want Lookie Lou's driving by all of the time.

Yea I'm wondering the same thing?
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I don't mean to sound snarky or anything but generally when I think of a "Historic Place" I think of places like Gettysburg, Lexington&Concord, Washington's Birthplace etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty cool and all, it's generally just not something I would think of as "Historic" as of yet.

post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I think it's ironic that Jobs' house will be protected after the long drawn out, ugly battle he personally had where he was prevented from demolishing a protected building.

Not really 'ironic'. It is the same exact thing. No one will even be able to install a compact fluorescent light bulb in that house without a permit from city hall.

post #21 of 40
I drove by years ago and took a couple of photos. It still had a TV antenna sticking up from the ridge of the roof then.

I also took photos of the handsome two-story house with the garage in the back where William Hewlett and David Packard built their first audio oscillator. It has a large brass plaque out front commemorating it as the "Birthplace of Silicon Valley" and marking it as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 976.

Steve Job's home where the first Apple computers were built certainly deserves the same respect.
post #22 of 40
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I don't mean to sound snarky or anything but generally when I think of a "Historic Place" I think of places like Gettysburg, Lexington&Concord, Washington's Birthplace etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty cool and all, it's generally just not something I would think of as "Historic" as of yet.

Don't get me wrong, but I would think it's generally not just the case that your opinions are taken very seriously in this forum.
post #23 of 40

Actually, Jobs would be very unhappy with this. He was completely focused on the future and had almost no sentimentality about the past. He would be against this. Check out his attitude about his own past and even the last house he lived in. No interest in preserving things for irrational / emotional reasons (for evidence just read the Walter Isaacson book).

Edited by SpamSandwich - 9/23/13 at 5:08pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 40
Quote:

Something wonderful happened there: the dawn of the PC age. I get that it's only 37 years ago but it's still history.
post #25 of 40
Quote:

Why?

Because Ashton Kutcher acted there.

Can you think of anything more historic than that?
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #26 of 40

Now that it is getting the attention I wonder how long before the owners put:

"Steve Jobs' childhood crapper" on eBay

post #27 of 40
That pieceofshit-looking house should not be worth $1.5M. I don't care if the pope married George and Martha Washington there followed by the signing of the Declaration of Independence, that house should not be a protected historical landmark.
post #28 of 40
I'm being a bit picky I know but they weren't his "foster parents".
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

That pieceofshit-looking house should not be worth $1.5M. I don't care if the pope married George and Martha Washington there followed by the signing of the Declaration of Independence, that house should not be a protected historical landmark.

Surely you realize that it's not being done for architectural reasons.

It really doesn't matter whether it was a Georgian mansion or a beach shack.

post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

I think legally they were his foster parents. Steve never owned that house as far as I know, but it is sort of the Kitty Hawk of computer innovation. I still think Apple, Inc, should buy it and keep it out of the control of city hall.

post #31 of 40
Well obviously should, I think Steve will be in history books one day...
post #32 of 40
Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

He didn’t think so. That’s good enough for me.

post #33 of 40
Quote:

Not really 'ironic'. It is the same exact thing. No one will even be able to install a compact fluorescent light bulb in that house without a permit from city hall.

Well given that SJ was finally able to win in court to demolish the other building it's something close to ironic.  Guy who destroys historic houses has his own house tagged with that same label so some future owner will be limited in a way that guy found annoying.  Maybe it's Karma.

post #34 of 40
Quote:

Apple should buy it.

I don't think shareholders would approve, and probably rightfully so. It wouldn't gain anything for Apple Inc.

Still you make a good point, in terms of preserving. Maybe one of his children, or Laurene, Patricia Ann or Mona should buy it.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Cue the idiots spewing about a "Realty Distortion Field," now :)

LOL. That house is a "Reality Creation Field." It's where Woz built the first Apple I's for sale. From that house a dent in the universe was made.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course it should be. Just as Thomas Edison's home is.

Only if the site where Woz appeared on "Dancing with the Stars" gets the same treatment....

8-)

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #37 of 40
Quote:

Yes, but if you don't preserve it now, it won't be available to be preserved 100 years from now.

If Steve only lived in this house through high school, how can this be the house where the Apple I was built?  Steve was 21 when the Apple I was released.  He couldn't have been in high school.

I have mixed feelings about this one.   The house itself doesn't seem to have any architectural merit.  If this isn't the house where the Apple I was created, what significance does it have?

If anything is to be saved, it should be the garage used when the Steves created the Apple I, even if it's just the interior re-created in a museum somewhere.   But if it's already been changed, I don't really think the garage needs to be preserved - I think a sign recognizing the location would be more than enough.  After all, the specific house where it happened doesn't really matter (although I think it matters that it happened in Cupertino).  What matters is what happened and how it happened and the result.     It might actually make more sense to preserve (if it's still possible) where the Homebrew Computing Club took place.

I don't know the specific preservation laws in California.   I know that in New York, it's extremely rare for anything to be declared a landmark based only on history and not on architecture.   And even for architecture, landmarking the exterior is much easier than landmarking the interior.   You can generally only do it if you have the owner's support, which is unlikely in this case.

But I agree with the poster who wrote that Steve wouldn't have wanted this.   It's been documented that he claimed not to care about the past.   But I do have to wonder whether he would have changed his mind had he lived longer.    I think that as we age, nostalgia creeps in.   While I've done some culling, I have a hard time getting rid of samples of the products I've produced over the years, especially the ones that came in packaging.

post #38 of 40
Only in California is that 1.5 million dollar house. sigh...
post #39 of 40
I have only one question about Steve Jobs childhood home. While developing the first apple computers where did his parents park their car(s)?

--calmchess
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmchess View Post

I have only one question about Steve Jobs childhood home. While developing the first apple computers where did his parents park their car(s)?

--calmchess
Driveway and street. Lots of folks use their garages as workspaces.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' childhood home could become protected historical site