or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analysts react to Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c launch weekend sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analysts react to Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c launch weekend sales

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
After Apple's Monday morning announcement of record-breaking sales for Cupertino's newest flagship iOS devices, sentiment among analysts is generally positive.

apple-movement-20130323.jpg


With more than nine million iPhone 5s and 5c units moved in the phones' first weekend of availability, analysts review their estimates and revise price targets for Apple's stock, though few alter ratings.

Gene Munster, Piper Jaffray
Sales numbers are higher than expected, but that may be due to retained inventory rather than sales to consumers.

Target: $640.00
Rating: Overweight


"We had been expecting 5-6 million units as sell-through and note that the 9 million unit weekend number includes sell-in of the 5C. Our adjustment for the sell-in implies opening weekend sell-through of around 5.5 million units. We believe the 5.5 million sell-through number compares to the 5 million iPhone 5 units sold last year (Apple sold out of initial stock) and view the 5S/5C launch as a solid start. We note that iPhone 5S demand throughout opening weekend appeared to be stronger than iPhone 5 demand last year."

Ben A. Reitzes, Barclays
iOS 7 appears to be driving sales of new iPhones, while sales numbers are even more encouraging due to iPhone 5s supply constraints.

Target: $525.00
Rating: Overweight


"We find it interesting that Apple is also positively revising its guidance while the quarter is still about a week away from closing. We do not recall this type of pre-announcement ever happening and it seems that it implies a message from management that the company is back on track.

The announcement is quite positive considering supply of the iPhone 5S is also significantly constrained at this point, as demand has exceeded the initial builds. Apple also announced 200 million customers have migrated to iOS7 and the rollout has been the 'fastest software upgrade in history.' The new OS is clearly driving sales as well."

Steven Milunovich, UBS
Sales figures seem strong at first glance, but may be tempered by weaker-than-expected demand in key growth areas.

Target: $520.00
Rating: Neutral


"The 5c appears less popular than the 5s with its advanced technology, at least among early buyers.

The first weekend numbers are encouraging though with wider availability and product cycles seemingly compressing it is difficult to know how far to extrapolate the figures. The response in China appears muted. In addition pricing programs from China Telecom and Unicom are not as accommodative as originally thought."

Timothy Arcuri, Cowen & Company
Apple confounds sales expectations and validates iPhone 5c market targeting strategy.

Target: $550.00
Rating: Outperform


"AAPL announced BMO that it sold ~9MM new iPhone 5S/5C over the weekend with more than 200MM iOS devices being updated with iOS7. This compares to ~5MM iPhone 5 and ~100MM iOS6 downloads in the first weekend of launch in September 2012. This is roundly better than our ~7MM expectation (some peers were still saying 5MM as recently as this morning) and, we think, also materially better than buy side expectations of ~7-8MM (see our note from midday Friday). We think this result validates Apple?s decision to maintain focus on profitability vs market share."
post #2 of 107

Is the furnace running??  I feel a lot of hot air blowing.

post #3 of 107

Utterly clueless pap.

 

I truly pity the foolish investors who buy into this.

post #4 of 107
post #5 of 107
Clueless hacks.
post #6 of 107
Congratulations to Apple. They've done a bang up job and have simply silenced all of their critics with these sales numbers.

Simply amazing and almost unbelievable 1smile.gif

12 million next year then?
post #7 of 107

Lots of sad analyst self-justification for completely missing the mark, as expected.

post #8 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
 

Watch this and laugh:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000201502&play=1

 

what a moron... $300 for apple in the future. even Google or MS have higher EPS than apple would have at $300. and this guy keep saying apple is failing to innovate. I bet the last thing this guy innovated landed in a toilet 

post #9 of 107

Apple did awesome. But I think the 5c sales show that the 5c might be overpriced. I think Apple could have made it about $50-$100 cheaper and it would have done a lot better. There is no reason for the 5c to ever be priced the same as the 5s (which happens at the $200 level).

 

Although that may be part of Apple's upsell strategy, and low 5s yields are the driver behind them marketing the 5c so heavily.

post #10 of 107
Why didn't Apple listen to the Analysts who were crying for a lower price points?

Apple could have:

Sold all of their existing inventory for less money
Lowered their overall margins,
Injured the brand
Produced less profit for the company and shareholders

What were they thinking?
post #11 of 107
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #12 of 107
In the famous words of Spanky "tain't enough, call back later"
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
 

Apple did awesome. But I think the 5c sales show that the 5c might be overpriced. I think Apple could have made it about $50-$100 cheaper and it would have done a lot better. There is no reason for the 5c to ever be priced the same as the 5s (which happens at the $200 level).

 

Although that may be part of Apple's upsell strategy, and low 5s yields are the driver behind them marketing the 5c so heavily.

 

Who in the world is qualified to lecture a company on pricing when they sold 9M phones in one weekend? You? Really? Are you not capable of changing your narrative and admitting that you are wrong?

post #14 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
 

Watch this and laugh:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000201502&play=1

 

$300 is the price where they will settle (what's that, a P/E of 6?)?????    Margins are too high?   What ecosystems exist outside of the US that are better than iCloud/iTMS/OSX....  Apple must beware of the Blackberry scenario...    David Pogue and the USA Today control the market, not Wall Street (Kramer).  

 

Peter Misek is the optimist of the 2...  Now that's funny

 

Amazing.   

post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Watch this and laugh:
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000201502&play=1

Total idiots. A fair price for AAPL is 300? And he says that's about where Google and MIcrosoft are?

Maybe he should look at P/E as one metric. At 300, Apple's forward, cash adjusted P/E would be about 5. How in the world could he possibly justify that price?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #16 of 107

"implies a message from management that the company is back on track"

 

Wake up. The company was never off track. The message is that you all stink at trying to figure out what Apple is up to and consistently underestimate them. The only think off-track is the share price.

post #17 of 107

Thanks for the video hydr. I think it is insane that the analysts would in the same breath talk about Apple and Blackberry as if they have anything in common. Wow!!! Just Wow. 

 

Were these guys previously weatherman ?

post #18 of 107
Gene Munster and Jeffrey simply suck IMHO. "Sales are higher than expected but that may be due to retained inventory rather than sales to consumers"? What idiots. What haters.

Let's recap. ANALysts expected sales of 5 million but sales were actually 9 million. Then ANALysts downplay the great sales and saying it may be something else?

I live outside of Houston and the nearest space gray 64g 5s I can get from an apple store or AT&T is in some place in Mississippi. Does that seem like retained inventory or consumers actually buying the phones?

The SEC needs to act on these idiots.

Haters are gonna hate. That's their job right. I shouldn't be surprised.

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply
post #19 of 107
Analysts: Apple did beat our numbers but that's because of some acctg trickery. Never are we wrong.
post #20 of 107

Why people listen to those folls?

 

OH!, just look at talking heads on TV.

post #21 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

 

Who in the world is qualified to lecture a company on pricing when they sold 9M phones in one weekend? You? Really? Are you not capable of changing your narrative and admitting that you are wrong?

 

My narrative?

 
I don't have a narrative. It is clear the iPhone 5c is selling far less than the 5s. Are you doubting that fact?
 
Based on that I am speculating whether Apple mispriced the 5c, or if it was their plan all along. Based on their track record it is probably the latter.
 
I don't have a narrative, and I am not saying Apple is doing it wrong.
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILM1997 View Post
 

Thanks for the video hydr. I think it is insane that the analysts would in the same breath talk about Apple and Blackberry as if they have anything in common. Wow!!! Just Wow. 

 

Were these guys previously weatherman ?

 

How can you say that!? Weathermen are far more correct than these morons.  That is giving them waaaayyyyyyy too much credit than they deserve!

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply
post #23 of 107

Why aren’t they being fired for being wrong? Why aren’t they docked pay for being wrong? Why aren’t they made to write public apologies for being wrong?

 

You want a secure job, be an analyst. Zero accountability, zero truth to find, zero expectations. Want another one? Be a politician in an unobservant district.

 

Want perpetual tenure? Be a political analyst.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #24 of 107

12 million next year is a definite, as apple this year has introduced 2 new models, next year the 5C can essentially sit in the spot 4S is sitting and still make money for Apple and I just wonder what 2 new models we'll have next year..

 

Great work Apple! "can't innovate my ass" Phil Schiller.

post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Watch this and laugh:
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000201502&play=1

What's there to laugh at? They know full well what they are up to. I personally think there needs to be laws about what these guys can claim about a stock on the public stage. They are within the law, but are behaving in a grossly unethical matter.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #26 of 107

They doing a wait and see, they not stupid. The numbers include the 5c preorders And China that was a totally different time last year and moved 2million iPhone 5 in 2012... So the real number to beat is 7mill from 2012

 

So that means you have an extra 2mill upside with the 5c in the mix. Still great numbers but apple mixing in some PR in there. They just being safe.

post #27 of 107
Ok I can play analyst too.

The only reduction they need to make is on the price of their unlocked iPhone 5C.

That was easy. And these yahoos get how much to do their job? And I use the word job loosely.
post #28 of 107

Anybody who listens to douchebag analysts deserves to lose all of their money in the market.

 

It's amazing how some douchebags even tried to spin Apple's record breaking iPhone sales.

 

Why Record iPhone Sales Might be Rotten for Apple (AAPL)

 

This is truly some crackhead logic.

 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/09/why-record-iphone-sales-might-be-rotten-for-apple-aapl/

post #29 of 107
I would like to know what proof has been supplied that the 5c is not selling well other than from media or analysts. They ask people in lines what they are there for and they all say the 5s. Well no kidding that is what they are in line for since there was no pre orders for them. People start sayin the 5c is not selling good and it gets repeated and soon enough people start to believe it. Show me proof.
post #30 of 107
I love all the "...but"s in these statements. ...but, uhhh,, UNSOLD INVENTORY. BUT,uhhh,, GROWTH MARKETS?? BUT,,uhhhm,,, APPLE IS DOOMED IN THE FUTURE.

The most disgusting thing is that these people get paid ridiculous amounts of money for their toxic drivel, and for being wrong again, and again, and again, with absolutely no accountability. If only one day they'd put their own money where their mouths are. But they're too cowardly to do that.
post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why aren’t they being fired for being wrong? Why aren’t they docked pay for being wrong? Why aren’t they made to write public apologies for being wrong?

Because more people buy bullshit than buy iPhones. They'll always put a spin on why their numbers were wrong.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 107
so munster is basically saying " your numbers were higher than we were expecting so we've adjusted your numbers downward to meet our estimates and aren't we effing great?"
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #33 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehawk View Post

I would like to know what proof has been supplied that the 5c is not selling well other than from media or analysts. They ask people in lines what they are there for and they all say the 5s. Well no kidding that is what they are in line for since there was no pre orders for them. People start sayin the 5c is not selling good and it gets repeated and soon enough people start to believe it. Show me proof.

 

I don't know about "selling well", but not selling "as well" may be more appropriate.

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/23/iphone-5s-3-times-more-popular-than-iphone-5c-on-launch-weekend---report

 

Read the comments in there too, the general consensus is agreement with the  report as the 5c wasn't the highlight of the release weekend, the 5s was.

post #34 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Anybody who listens to douchebag analysts deserves to lose all of their money in the market.

It's amazing how some douchebags even tried to spin Apple's record breaking iPhone sales.

Why Record iPhone Sales Might be Rotten for Apple (AAPL)




This is truly some crackhead logic.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/09/why-record-iphone-sales-might-be-rotten-for-apple-aapl/

For starters the keyword is 'might', and the author brings up some valid concerns for many stockholders.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

 

what a moron... $300 for apple in the future. even Google or MS have higher EPS than apple would have at $300. and this guy keep saying apple is failing to innovate. I bet the last thing this guy innovated landed in a toilet 

 

I know the "analysts" often don't get it, but suspect something so absurd is being spouted because of some other agenda.  Just looking at the silliness that comes out whenever Apple has good press/news - all, to taint the company and products.  Time will tell, but the 5C should do well - wouldn't be surprised if the 5C numbers, over it's lifetime will equal or even exceed the 5S. 

 
I know some on the forum knock the 5C, as it isn't their choice.  
I will go with the 5S, but can see why some would want the 5C - besides it's lower price, it is well made, less prone to damage (with kids dropping), plus color is important to a lot of people - so, I for one, expect good things for the 5C.  
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


For starters the keyword is 'might', and the author brings up some valid concerns for many stockholders.

 

And those valid concerns are what exactly? That article is nothing but one of a long string of yearly bleating about how Apple is no longer innovative, blah blah blah. These tards were saying the same thing even before Steve Jobs died. Does no one remember how the iPad was going to fail because it was nothing but a "large iPod touch"?

post #37 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_C View Post
 

, but can see why some would want the 5C - besides it's lower price, it is well made, less prone to damage (with kids dropping), plus color is important to a lot of people - so, I for one, expect good things for the 5C.  

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGkDSzGtdew

5c failed the drop test. 5s survived.

 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/09/22/iphone-5s-vs-iphone-5c-drop-test/

same result with cases on both phones.


Edited by patpatpat - 9/23/13 at 2:43pm
post #38 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


For starters the keyword is 'might', and the author brings up some valid concerns for many stockholders.

 

Baloney. The author is completely full of crap.

 
But the reason I am voicing a bit of doubt is that it seems like Apple is now trying to squeeze every last bit of profit it can out of an aging, shall we call it, iStone.
post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
 

Watch this and laugh:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000201502&play=1

 

"Blackberry is an excellent parallel for Apple right now". 
Yeah, excellent parallel indeed, except that, you know, the 2 companies don't have a fucking thing in common. Oh wait, this is the guy with a price target of $300. 
 
I sometimes wonder who's lining the pockets of these vampires. I mean, how can someone make such an astoundingly insane statement? Apple is the main reason BB is where it is today, yet he speaks as if Apple should learn a lesson from BB. What twisted, irrational, psychotic logic. 
post #40 of 107
I think the C in 5c stands for China and was designed with China Mobile in mind.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analysts react to Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c launch weekend sales