or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple offers refunds to 'Breaking Bad' Season Pass holders following mixup

Apple offers refunds to 'Breaking Bad' Season Pass holders following mixup

post #1 of 29
Apple on Monday sent out emails to "Breaking Bad" Season Pass holders, saying they would be receiving the final eight episodes for free after the season was split into two parts, resulting in confusion over pricing that resulted in a class action lawsuit.

Breaking Bad

In the short letters sent out today, Apple apologized for confusion stemming from AMC's decision to split the the last season of Breaking Bad into two separate parts, dubbed "Season 5" and "The Final Season," both of which contain eight episodes each. The finale season of the hit show was originally slated to be a single 16-episode run.

Customers who purchased the Season Pass prior to the split were informed that they would be provided with an iTunes code worth $22.99, which can be put towards "The Final Season" as well as any other content in the store. This will also serve as refunds for customers who purchased both seasons after the mixup.

Earlier this month, Apple was sued over its handling of the situation, with plaintiffs claiming the company falsely advertised its prepaid pricing for Breaking Bad, demanding the company release both seasons to those customers who bought the Season Pass thinking all 16 episodes were included.

The series finale of Breaking Bad airs this Sunday on AMC and will be available for download on iTunes shortly thereafter.
post #2 of 29
I don't think Amazon or other competitors are offering refunds. Good job Apple.
post #3 of 29

Apple making things right?

I'm sure somehow this means APPLE IZ DOOMEEDDD!

post #4 of 29
Edited to remove quote which referred to episode aired weeks ago!!!!!

If you are worried about seeing a spoiler, stop reading this thread now, because people quoted my original post.
Edited by quinney - 9/24/13 at 12:03am
post #5 of 29
Not sure they are offering it in Canada, I haven't received my email yet. Any others out there?
post #6 of 29
Such a good show, more deserving of a higher rating than the one that all the disgruntled one star reviews caused.

AMC are the ones who caused this.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #7 of 29
I've not received an email yet either. Purchased in the uk store .....still waiting Apple, come on and sort this out for everyone else outside the uk
post #8 of 29
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post
You see how this could ruin someone's enjoyment of the show, right?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #9 of 29
Something like this happened with South Park, if it remember correctly.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Did Amazon or the other competitors have class action lawsuits brought against them?

post #11 of 29
wait, it was season 4 then season 5 then the final season? i'm so confused as to how television shows number their seasons now i thought it was season 4 then seasons 5-19 and then the final season, season 20, to be aired 9/29.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I thought that Season Pass was an exclusive iTunes feature. I could be wrong though.

post #13 of 29

Glad to hear this, I was one of those expecting the final 8 episodes to be included in the Season 5 Episode Pass.  Haven't received an email yet, hopefully Apple are applying this in all territories, not just the US where the class action lawsuit was filed.

censored

censored

post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffpen View Post

Not sure they are offering it in Canada, I haven't received my email yet. Any others out there?

I am in canada, purchased both seasons, and have not received and email yet... In all honesty, I had a strong hunch that when I bought the season 5A, that it was only a half season due to the price being around 25$...

(Update - just received credit notification to be redeemed for any other iTunes purchases... Very good of apple to do this. Kudos)
Edited by NailedToTheX - 9/26/13 at 7:54am
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Did Amazon or the other competitors have class action lawsuits brought against them?

No, but the dip who brought the class action suit against Apple decided to go after the company with deep pockets, even though it was AMC's fault.

Just demonstrates the kind of company Apple is and the lengths they go to in order to satisfy their customers.
post #16 of 29

This really surprises me. When I bout the first half of season 5 to catch up that was all I assumed I was getting. At least for me Apple didn't really have to do this

post #17 of 29

Even the BBC is reporting the refund....but still no email....I guess it's only to the US customers. Typical. Where's the email address to complain to Apple :)

post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

It is really sad to me when someone signs up on an Applecentric site just to belittle others.

Really, really sad.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

It is really sad to me when someone signs up on an Applecentric site just to belittle others.

Really, really sad.
I wasn't belittling blackbook, but the irony in your post was not lost on me.
post #20 of 29

Taken from wikipedia...

"Breaking Bad premiered on July 15, 2012. The 16-episode season is split into two parts, each containing eight episodes. AMC broadcast the first part of the fifth season on Sundays at 10:00 pm ET in the United States and Canada, and the second part airs on Sundays at 9:00 pm. The second half debuted August 11, 2013."

Now, being a follower of the show wouldn't you know you were only getting 8 episodes per season?

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #21 of 29

C'mon. This is ridiculous. Did anyone really think that you were going to get 16 episodes for $22?? They are normally $3 each and iTunes never marks down a SeasonPass like that.

I hate when people get money back for being ignorant.

post #22 of 29
"Apple offers refunds to 'Breaking Bad' Season Pass holders following AMC's ridiculous cash-grab to double-up its profits on the 5th season"

FTFY
post #23 of 29
Speaking of AMC, Walking dead is $43 for the whole season. Last year it was like $30. AMC is greedy and won't be getting any of my money, I'll get it "elsewhere".
post #24 of 29
I still don't see the problem. If everyone paid for 16 episodes when only 8 we're available, then when the second set of 8 episodes is released they'd get those for free. Or am I missing something here?

Edit: Well, not free. I meant "at no further charge" since the second set has already been paid for.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Apple making things right?

I'm sure somehow this means APPLE IZ DOOMEEDDD!

Actually, more like "Apple already makes everything right", "Anybody who complains is an idiot", "If you don't like it don't buy it", etc.

post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfilms View Post

C'mon. This is ridiculous. Did anyone really think that you were going to get 16 episodes for $22?? They are normally $3 each and iTunes never marks down a SeasonPass like that.

I hate when people get money back for being ignorant.

I'm sure Apple will be more careful in the future, but they called their product a "season pass." The producers of the show refer to all sixteen episodes as the "season," not just the first eight. AMC called it something else again. Regardless of whether the charge per episode is reasonable, I think the confusion is understandable. The fine print on "season passes" now specifically says which episodes are included, and Apple has refunded affected customers. Right call. 

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I'm sure Apple will be more careful in the future, but they called their product a "season pass."

It's not "Apple's product", it's AMC's product.
post #28 of 29
I sent an email to apple yesterday and today they credited me with 3 video credits (U.K. Store). The said the full refund only applies to United States, Australia, Germany and Canada. But it might be worth sending them an email. Perhaps because I've spent thousands with Apple they saw fit to give me this gesture. Nice one.
post #29 of 29

I really hope they refund for all of Canada. I bought both "seasons" have emailed them 4 days ago and only got a response saying they would look into it. No refund yet or word weather they will or not.

I hope they learn from this and don't let the networks do this kind of thing again. Charge the going rate for a full season and give everyone access to it and don't mess with the naming of seasons and episodes, its confusing.

Apple is all about a good user experience and this certainly is not. Even with having bought all of the episodes they really messed up with the sequencing and naming of everything. Sometime the season is called The Final Season and in other areas its called Season 6. Also episode 2 in Season 6 isn't actually an episode from the season so each time we go to watch it we have to spend time figure out which episode is next to watch. In season 5 these behind the scenes shorts were labeled 101, 102 etc. Now they are mixed in with the regular episodes. Not a huge deal but takes extra brain power to figure this out each time. Pls Apple just make it easy and use the same labeling as they do on TV, why the need to scramble everything up like this?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple offers refunds to 'Breaking Bad' Season Pass holders following mixup