or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

post #1 of 162
Apple on Tuesday issued an update for its all-in-one iMac desktop, bringing Intel's latest-generation Haswell processors, speedy 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and Nvidia's new GeForce 700 series graphics.

iMac

The new iMac also sports faster PCIe flash storage options to boost performance. It comes in the same thin design debuted by the company last year.

"iMac continues to be the example that proves how beautiful, fast and fun a desktop computer can be," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Inside its ultra-thin aluminum enclosure, the new iMac has the latest Intel processors, faster graphics, next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage."

The entry-level 21.5-inch iMac features a 2.7-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and new Iris Pro integrated graphics. It starts at $1,299.

The high-end 21.5-inch model and both 27-inch models feature quad-core Intel Core i5 processors up to 3.4 gigahertz and Nvidia GeForce 700 series graphics with twice the video memory and up to 40 percent faster performance than the previous generation.

Apple's new top-of-the-line iMac is a quad-core Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.5 GHz and Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M series graphics with up to 4 gigabytes of video memory. It starts at $1,999.

iMac

The updated iMac also supports next-generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi. When connected to an 802.11ac base station, iMac delivers wireless connectivity up to three times faster than the previous generation 802.11n.

Apple's new iMac also features support for PCIe-based flash storage that makes Fusion Drive and all-flash storage options up to 50 percent faster than the previous generation. Fusion Drive option combines the large storage capacity of a hard drive with the high performance of flash to deliver shorter boot times and faster access to apps and files. Customers can configure their iMac with a 1-terabyte or 3-terabyte Fusion Drive, and all-flash storage options are now available in configurations up to 1 terabyte.

iMac comes standard with 8 gigabytes of memory and a 1-terabyte hard drive, and customers can choose to configure their iMac with up to 32 gigabytes of memory and up to a 3-terabyte hard drive. iMac also comes with two Thunderbolt and four USB 3.0 ports for connecting to external storage and other high performance peripherals.

iMac

iMac also meets Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves an EPEAT Gold rating. The desktop features LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. iMac includes PVC-free components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants, and uses highly recyclable materials and material-efficient packaging designs.

iMac ships with OS X Mountain Lion, bringing Messages, Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, AirPlay Mirroring, Dictation, Game Center and Gatekeeper security.

Pricing & availability

iMac

The new iMac is available today through the Apple Online Store, Apple?s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. The 21.5-inch iMac is available with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.2 GHz and Intel Iris Pro for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US); and with a 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US).

The 27-inch iMac is available with a 3.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 755M for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US); and with a 3.4 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.8 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US). Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at apple.com/imac.

How to save

Readers who use links in the AppleInsider Mac Price Guide (iMac snippet below) can then manually apply coupon code APPLEINSIDER02 on MacMall's iMac product pages to instantly save an additional 3%, yielding the lowest prices anywhere. Additionally, MacMall only charges sales taxes in California, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Minnesota, Georgia, North Carolina, and Wisconsin.

Internet orders for Apple's newly updated iMacs will be processed by MacMall in the order they are received, and the reseller currently indicates that they will be able to start shipping 3 of the 5 models on Wednesday (tomorrow). We'll continue to update the Mac Price Guide with additional models and retailers throughout the week as the units begin to show up in their inventory systems.
post #2 of 162
Nice 1smile.gif
post #3 of 162
Apple once again pulling ahead of the "competition". Another nail in the coffin of PCs.
post #4 of 162

i guess Mavricks isn't done yet?

post #5 of 162
Can we hear from the guy who was boasting yesterday about how Microsoft beat Apple to the punch because they claimed that a product to be realeased a month form now might have Haswell?
post #6 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can we hear from the guy who was boasting yesterday about how Microsoft beat Apple to the punch because they claimed that a product to be realeased a month form now might have Haswell?

LOL. yes, very funny.  very funny.

post #7 of 162
Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks
2. Mac Pro
3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)
4. iPad
5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.
post #8 of 162

Twice the battery life of the old iMac.

post #9 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you're talking about me I specifically said r-Macbook Pro, and I was hardly 'boasting' considering I called the surface a POS-2 (as it is). How could they beat Apple to the punch when the Air already is Haswell? Pretty idiotic. It was a factual observation we are 15/16 months without a real refresh. Everyone else's high end portables are Haswell, it's time. The battery life will be fantastic I'm sure.  

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #10 of 162

I'm surprised Apple haven't chosen to go for a Mac centric event to get a little more focus back on there computing line.

Just a small event where they could Launch new macbook pro's, these new iMacs and the Mac pro as well as Mavericks at the same time.

Kinda odd to have a silent update without waiting for Mavericks when Mavericks is just around the corner.

With the iPhone still taking up all of Apple's media attention, I would have thought I would have made sense to have a slightly bigger gap and then launch all these products together to help gain some publicity for the computing line.

post #11 of 162

GeForce 780M - sweet, the fastest mobile GPU on the market (without going to SLI/Crossfire).

No Thunderbolt 2 and no 4K display but I think the Mac Pro will have these though :-) Well we already know it will have TB2.

post #12 of 162
Great. Now where the hell is the MacBook Pro refresh?
Thanks.
post #13 of 162

New MBP will be here soon, you can't rush perfection.  Plus there may be a few surprises as far as the refresh goes.

post #14 of 162
Wow, no event for this release? ;-)

Was the Mac Pro 2013 that runs on ten 64-bit A7 processors released also? 1smile.gif
post #15 of 162

Great! Now I have no reason to wait....except getting the money together! :)

P.S. What a beautiful machine! :)

post #16 of 162

Currently unavailable in the UK Apple store.

I am considering this vs a Mac Pro (dependant on Price vs Performance of the entry level to a spec'ed up iMac)

post #17 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

If you're talking about me I specifically said r-Macbook Pro, and I was hardly 'boasting' considering I called the surface a POS-2 (as it is). How could they beat Apple to the punch when the Air already is Haswell? Pretty idiotic. It was a factual observation we are 15/16 months without a real refresh. Everyone else's high end portables are Haswell, it's time. The battery life will be fantastic I'm sure.  

I wasn't referring to you. Calm down.

But now that YOU bring it up.....
post #18 of 162
I love how according to Phill Schiller's quote, he avoids using words like 'practical','functional','versitile', 'flexible' and 'expandable'. Unfortunately these are drawbacks of the mac desktop lines....
post #19 of 162
Apple has something up their sleeve... Unexpected announcement coming?
post #20 of 162

I've tried to do some research into the Iris Pro (and what version they're using in the entry-level iMac), but while I thought it was initially a downgrade from the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M with 512MB, it seems most are saying it's at least equal, if not slightly better. Hard to believe Intel's integrated graphics have gotten so good so fast. Anyone care to weigh in with their thoughts on the change?

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #21 of 162

Such a shame that the Fusion drive is not standard.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #22 of 162
No Macbook Pro announcement. Perhaps waiting for Mavericks? Maybe a space gray version? I assume then these will be coming at a special announcement? Maybe with iPads and MacPro?
post #23 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaspeter1 View Post

I love how according to Phill Schiller's quote, he avoids using words like 'practical','functional','versitile', 'flexible' and 'expandable'. Unfortunately these are drawbacks of the mac desktop lines....

Really? In many ways, this is more expandable than any previous iMac - and possibly more than any previous Mac Pro. You can easily add several large RAID boxes via Thunderbolt and suffer no performance loss. On previous computers, you had to use Firewire, USB, or eSATA - all of which limit performance. You can add a nearly infinite number of external PCI cards with expansion boxes. There are very few things that you'd want to do that you can't expand via TB.

Ad the rest of your rant is simply silly. Not practical? Not functional? Considering that the iMac out of the box does what 95% of users need, how is that not practical?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I've tried to do some research into the Iris Pro (and what version they're using in the entry-level iMac), but while I thought it was initially a downgrade from the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M with 512MB, it seems most are saying it's at least equal, if not slightly better. Hard to believe Intel's integrated graphics have gotten so good so fast. Anyone care to weigh in with their thoughts on the change?

As always, YMMV. There's no doubt that Intel has made great strides in their graphics performance. That performance will, however, depend on exactly what you're doing. Best to look for benchmarks using the app (and, ideally, the functions) that you will be using. It may be perfectly adequate on Photoshop, but not on hard core games. Or vice versa.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #24 of 162

Well this ist the most quiet update I've ever seen - the website doesn't even add a NEW badge to the iMacs!

Edited by MacApfel - 9/24/13 at 7:04am
post #25 of 162
But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.
Edited by Ireland - 9/24/13 at 7:09am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #26 of 162
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
i guess Mavricks isn't done yet?

They were never going to be released together. Apple wants you to buy it, just like the first aluminum iMac didn’t ship with Leopard even though said OS was released less than a month later.

Originally Posted by jonaspeter1 View Post

Does the new account signup page advertise a contest for “Most Vacuous Comment” or something?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #27 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Well this ist the most quiet update I've ever seen - the website even doesn't add a NEW badge to the iMacs!

But that's a good thing, right?  One complaint about Apple was that they would wait until they would do a bunch of exciting new stuff in a big splash when incrementally better components were available.  So late in a product cycle, about-to-be-refreshed products compared poorly to the latest and greatest specs from competitors.  If this is a sign of a slightly new Apple, then it means you can be more comfortable just buying an iMac when you need it instead of waiting indefinitely for the next big thing.  Face it, desktop PCs are not where the action is now.  I have two iMacs that my kids use now (and an uncounted number of earlier Macs gathering dust and it's not obvious to me that I'll ever buy another desktop.

post #28 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It was a factual observation we are 15/16 months without a real refresh. Everyone else's high end portables are Haswell, it's time. The battery life will be fantastic I'm sure.  

There is nothing factual or logical about your comment.

1) The Retina MBPs were updated in early 2013. With there still only being 12 months in a year and this still only being 2013 that means it has to be under 12 months, not he 12 to 15 months you suggest.

2) You are under the erroneous impression that all Apple needs to update the MBPs is to pop in Haswell. I will be sorely disappointed if they update them before the TB2 chips are available as this is needed to run a 4K display properly, which I also expect to be announced next month.

Note the new iMacs do not have TB2; they have two Thunderbolt ports, but that's not the same thing.

PS: You seem like an otherwise reasonable person so why throw that all away just to get one new aspect to the MBP and then have to wait another nearly another year for an update when you can wait another month or two for something better? Let's say that Apple updated the MBPs with Haswell today, you would be happy, right? But then next month they announce all the real updates to the MBPs with a release date in November. If you had bought a new MBP would not then be unhappy? Or would be happy if the Mac portable with Pro in the name couldn't use the 4K display that is released alongside the Mac Pro?
post #29 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.

You wouldn't recommend this incredible piece of hardware because you don't want to buy your own speakers, headphones, or other audio monitors? Wouldn't anyone as interested in audio quality as yourself always use external monitors rather than those installed on any desktop out of the box? 

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #30 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

1. Mavericks
2. Mac Pro
4. iPad
5. iPad Mini

Tim Cook was very clear at the Q conference call this spring, saying that Apple would enter new categories this year. Hope he keeps his word on this one, and enter a new category. 

post #31 of 162
This made me very happy to see! 4 GB of the 780M as an option. Apple gets it! 1 GB 750M on the 21.5" upper model. Iris Pro on the base, *shrugs* okay fine, they probably felt the 740M wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Can't wait for the MacBook Pro and Mac mini! : D : D
post #32 of 162
This is right in step with Apple's approach to desktops and laptops. Why would they have an event for the launch of post PC products? Even Mavericks won't be a big deal when it launches. The only reason to make an event is for the Mac Pro but that would be just to show off some performance specs and the new updated pro apps that take advantage of Mac Pro. That's not enough to get the public excited.

It's all about the iPad and iPad mini. That's the next event.

Tim Cook did promise a new product category before the year's end. An Apple TV hardware update seems possible but that would hardly be a new category. Any ideas?
post #33 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Tim Cook was very clear at the Q conference call this spring, saying that Apple would enter new categories this year. Hope he keeps his word on this one, and enter a new category.

Maybe he was just referring to Apple's bold reentry into the iPhone case market!  (I hope not.)

post #34 of 162
Quote:

1. Mavericks
2. Mac Pro
4. iPad
5. iPad Mini

Don't forget the Mac Mini. A Haswell based Mac Mini would be a killer little machine consuming even less power than it does now.
post #35 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Don't forget the Mac Mini. A Haswell based Mac Mini would be a killer little machine consuming even less power than it does now.

I hope so.  Also mini uses intel's GPUs, so haswell would be a sizable update.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #36 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone......

.... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?
post #37 of 162
1. Mavericks
2. Mac Pro
4. iPad
5. iPad Mini

Mac Mini…

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Tim Cook was very clear at the Q conference call this spring, saying that Apple would enter new categories this year.

Source and quote?

…the potential of exciting new product categories
…we don’t talk about them, but we’re looking at them…

Q: Did you mention new product categories in the introduction?

A: One of our areas for growth are potential new categories.

Q: Would that be in the next year?
A: We didn’t announce a specific time frame.

I see zero evidence of “we will enter a new product category”, much less “this year”.

post #38 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

I wonder if they might shrink the size even more. Not only can they market the reduced size but they can also save money on that aluminium shell.

I've wanted to see something with a smaller footprint. Perhaps something like the AEBS, but taller than the current Mac mini so it can fit a 2.5" HDD or two. Those two HDDs could fit sideways in the space the Time Capsule's 3.5" HDD stands upright.

My reasoning is that on a desk, where the Mac mini is likely placed, there tends to be more vertical room than area, and you also want to prevent people from placing things atop it which can cause it to overheat and/or hurt the wireless signal.
post #39 of 162
Apple is not repeating their mistake, of last year, but updating the iMac and not shipping until AFTER the holidays. At this point, it's all about Consumers. You will probably see new iPads out before the holidays, but new MacBook Pro's could be early 2014. We shall see...
post #40 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see zero evidence of “we will enter a new product category”, much less “this year”.

Hopes counts as evidence. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics