or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics - Page 2

post #41 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

I'm surprised Apple haven't chosen to go for a Mac centric event to get a little more focus back on there computing line.

Just a small event where they could Launch new macbook pro's, these new iMacs and the Mac pro as well as Mavericks at the same time.

Kinda odd to have a silent update without waiting for Mavericks when Mavericks is just around the corner.

With the iPhone still taking up all of Apple's media attention, I would have thought I would have made sense to have a slightly bigger gap and then launch all these products together to help gain some publicity for the computing line.

I was thinking the same... but  don't forget the mini.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #42 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

You wouldn't recommend this incredible piece of hardware because you don't want to buy your own speakers, headphones, or other audio monitors? Wouldn't anyone as interested in audio quality as yourself always use external monitors rather than those installed on any desktop out of the box? 

For listening to music you might have a case, but for Skype and FaceTime it is a PITA. I have resorted to a plug in speaker on my ipad in order to deal with the same problem-- sound is directed the wrong way. If it is against the wall it might not be a big deal, but that isn't everybody's need.
post #43 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Tim Cook was very clear at the Q conference call this spring, saying that Apple would enter new categories this year. Hope he keeps his word on this one, and enter a new category. 
Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Tim Cook did promise a new product category before the year's end. An Apple TV hardware update seems possible but that would hardly be a new category. Any ideas?

According to transcripts (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/23/4258272/apple-tim-cook-teases-exciting-new-product-category) he said "Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services that we can't wait to introduce in the fall and into 2014." The "exciting new product categories" will likely be entered next year, not this fall.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #44 of 162

Strange that they waited so long to get the iMac out…

And it’s not Thunderbolt 2.

They didn’t even update its own product page. :???:

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #45 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post
There is nothing factual or logical about your comment.

1) The Retina MBPs were updated in early 2013. With there still only being 12 months in a year and this still only being 2013 that means it has to be under 12 months, not he 12 to 15 months you suggest.

2) You are under the erroneous impression that all Apple needs to update the MBPs is to pop in Haswell. I will be sorely disappointed if they update them before the TB2 chips are available as this is needed to run a 4K display properly, which I also expect to be announced next month.

Note the new iMacs do not have TB2; they have two Thunderbolt ports, but that's not the same thing.

PS: You seem like an otherwise reasonable person so why throw that all away just to get one new aspect to the MBP and then have to wait another nearly another year for an update when you can wait another month or two for something better? Let's say that Apple updated the MBPs with Haswell today, you would be happy, right? But then next month they announce all the real updates to the MBPs with a release date in November. If you had bought a new MBP would not then be unhappy? Or would be happy if the Mac portable with Pro in the name couldn't use the 4K display that is released alongside the Mac Pro?

The rMPB was released in June of last year. The February 'update' merely boosted the baseline clock speed 100Mhz. Nothing else changed. Not exactly what I would call a refresh, more like here - have this other SKU for the same price. If you want to, fair enough. I've had the machine just over a year now (maxed out spec wise), it's the best machine I've ever had. We do need another one as my wife's 2011 Air is definitely on it's last legs and she really wants one. I have no doubt it's coming soon, just a little surprised we haven't heart anything as of yet since it is Apple's 'flagship' laptop really. I'll admit 4K displays don't matter to me. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #46 of 162
Quote:

I'm surprised Apple haven't chosen to go for a Mac centric event to get a little more focus back on there computing line.

Something I've learned about Apple-- a couple weeks before they do a special event, they push out the products that didn't make the cut for the event (though sometimes it comes after the event.)  So these "silent updates" are what happens to products not deemed worthy enough for the event.

I think there may be a Mac Centric event in October, and this update coming now merely means they were ready to go and there's enough stuff to talk about in the event already.

I wonder how they will do it, though, whether they will cover iPads / Mac Pro & Mavericks all in one event, or if they will have two.

Because if they have two separate events, and new iMacs didn't make the cut then there's a lot of presentation time to introduce a new AppleTV or iWatch or something.  (figure 90 minutes per event and probably 30 minutes per product, so iPad and iPad mini is 60 minutes, leaving an extra 30 for an iPad only event.  Or at a Mac Event Mac Pro and Mavericks together is 60 minutes, leaving, again, an extra 30 minutes.) 

post #47 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Such a shame that the Fusion drive is not standard.

I agree - was thinking about getting a new mba 13", but for the money, I'm now leaning more towards the iMac 21" with FD.  My wife has an early '13 21" iMac with FD that rocks.  I love how FD keeps me from worrying about drive space, like I have with my 128gb Air.  You get the best of both worlds, tremendous storage space and speed of ssd, without having to do anything.

I don't understand how anyone would buy a traditional spinning hd if they've ever worked on an ssd before.  Even playing with the Air's in-store should be enough for people to understand just what a speed difference it is.  The $200 upgrade is nothing when factored over the life of the iMac.
post #48 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.

If you're at all serious about music, you'd have external speakers, anyway. And if you're going to be using external speakers, who cares what the internal audio is like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Don't forget the Mac Mini. A Haswell based Mac Mini would be a killer little machine consuming even less power than it does now.

Timing would be good. My old Core 2 Duo Mini is dying and will need to be replaced unless someone can offer a suggestion.

I have the server model with 2 hard drives. It keeps giving me a message that the hard drive disconnected - and then becomes corrupted. At first, I thought it was just a bad hard drive, but I tried using the other hard drive and it did the same thing. I haven't moved it, so it's unlikely that an internal cable become loose, but I guess that's a possibility. Any other ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Apple is not repeating their mistake, of last year, but updating the iMac and not shipping until AFTER the holidays. At this point, it's all about Consumers. You will probably see new iPads out before the holidays, but new MacBook Pro's could be early 2014. We shall see...

Good point about not repeating last year's mistake. They'll have time to sell a ton of these before the holidays.

Personally, I'd expect the new MBP in October. I don't expect a change in the format, so they'll simply be limited by chip availability. Unless they're planning to use TB 2, that shouldn't be an issue.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone......

.... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?

Any good ideas how to deal with speakers on an executive desk (center of office) with an iMac mounted to an arm? Every good solution I can think of would just be better with a different computer.
post #50 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I don't understand how anyone would buy a traditional spinning hd if they've ever worked on an ssd before.  Even playing with the Air's in-store should be enough for people to understand just what a speed difference it is.  The $200 upgrade is nothing when factored over the life of the iMac.

Many people have 't worked on an SSD before.  If your machine is more than just a year or two old, then it likely has a spinner.

post #51 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

For listening to music you might have a case, but for Skype and FaceTime it is a PITA. I have resorted to a plug in speaker on my ipad in order to deal with the same problem-- sound is directed the wrong way. If it is against the wall it might not be a big deal, but that isn't everybody's need.

How much quality do you need for Skype and Facetime? The iMac's speakers are just fine for that. If you're really picky, externals are fine.

The iPad is different so using an iPad issue to justify your whining about the iMac is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Something I've learned about Apple-- a couple weeks before they do a special event, they push out the products that didn't make the cut for the event (though sometimes it comes after the event.)  So these "silent updates" are what happens to products not deemed worthy enough for the event.

I think there may be a Mac Centric event in October, and this update coming now merely means they were ready to go and there's enough stuff to talk about in the event already.

I wonder how they will do it, though, whether they will cover iPads / Mac Pro & Mavericks all in one event, or if they will have two.

Because if they have two separate events, and new iMacs didn't make the cut then there's a lot of presentation time to introduce a new AppleTV or iWatch or something.  (figure 90 minutes per event and probably 30 minutes per product, so iPad and iPad mini is 60 minutes, leaving an extra 30 for an iPad only event.  Or at a Mac Event Mac Pro and Mavericks together is 60 minutes, leaving, again, an extra 30 minutes.) 

I would think that the October event would cover Mavericks, MBP, and the Mac Pro
Quote:

Any good ideas how to deal with speakers on an executive desk (center of office) with an iMac mounted to an arm? Every good solution I can think of would just be better with a different computer.

There are a lot of different designs. Since I don't know the setup, I can't make a recommendation, but you could start here:
http://www.coolmacaccessories.com/best-external-imac-speakers/

Or consider Bluetooth speakers and put them on the walls.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #52 of 162
Quote:

but that isn't everybody's need.

That is the challenge in design: to find a mid-point that will sell.  Will each aspect serve every customer's specific needs perfectly?  Perhpas not.  Will the overall design work for most people well?  

post #53 of 162

My 2011 iMac stays on the table and money in my pocket. Won't change until Retina. Got used to it on Macbook. Same goes for iPad Mini.

post #54 of 162
Where is the retina display version?
I am waiting here with a 3.4 year old iMac.
Waiting.
post #55 of 162

Good thing I follow this site, talk about a quiet upgrade.

Numbers in (*) are Passmark G3D scores:

On the 21.5", the GT 750m (1616) is a nice upgrade of the GT 650m (1297).

On the 27" imacs, the GTX 780m (4255) is a little downgrade compare to the GTX 680mx (4373)

I already have last year 27" imac, will buy a 21.5" for my wife this year.

post #56 of 162
Quote:

But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.

I formally reject your advice and recommendation. It's nonsense.

post #57 of 162

I wonder why iPhone 5s did not get 802.11 ac

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #58 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is there an 802.11ac chip that's efficient enough for the iPhone 5S? Let's remember that Apple has about half the available internal space and a much smaller battery capacity than other vendors, not to mention Apple actually cares about the user experience. I had hoped it would come this year but I wasn't expecting it.
post #59 of 162
Quote:

airplay audio can be used

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #60 of 162

Power of said chips, most likely.

post #61 of 162

This is good. I won't buy it because I'm waiting for the Mac Pro, as I need a more powerful machine this time and without monitor, but nonetheless I'm very happy with this announce and I hope it will sell well (I believe so, as it has nice configurations, including 512GB SSD).

post #62 of 162
I have been waiting for the refresh I'm glad it's here , I already ordered one and should have it early October
post #63 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

Apple has something up their sleeve... Unexpected announcement coming?
Does the lack of a Mini update push you in that directions? Because the first thing I thought was that the Mini is now dead.
post #64 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I've tried to do some research into the Iris Pro (and what version they're using in the entry-level iMac), but while I thought it was initially a downgrade from the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M with 512MB, it seems most are saying it's at least equal, if not slightly better. Hard to believe Intel's integrated graphics have gotten so good so fast. Anyone care to weigh in with their thoughts on the change?

As a GPU the results are mixed relative to the 640m. As an OpenCL processor Iris is fantastic.
post #65 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

My 2011 iMac stays on the table and money in my pocket. Won't change until Retina.

I agree.  Patiently waiting with my 2010.  I went ahead and upgraded my work to a SD one, but for the house- waiting on Retina.  That'll be impressive when it happens.  I'm guessing next year (it wasn't expected this year).

Quote:

Why would an iPhone even need ac?  99.9% of the population doesn't get those kinds of speeds at their home- so it is really only beneficial for file transfers within the same network- like Time machine backups, etc- nothing the iPhone does.  So if the 5S got ac... you wouldn't even notice a difference.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #66 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks
2. Mac Pro
3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)
4. iPad
5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

Quote:

Just a small event where they could Launch new macbook pro's, these new iMacs and the Mac pro as well as Mavericks at the same time.

Kinda odd to have a silent update without waiting for Mavericks when Mavericks is just around the corner.

With the iPhone still taking up all of Apple's media attention, I would have thought I would have made sense to have a slightly bigger gap and then launch all these products together to help gain some publicity for the computing line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No Macbook Pro announcement. Perhaps waiting for Mavericks? Maybe a space gray version? I assume then these will be coming at a special announcement? Maybe with iPads and MacPro?

At this point, I think it's unlikely that we'll see a combined event with new Mac hardware, OS X, and iPads anytime soon. Cook didn't say it explicitly, but by releasing 2 iPhones this year, the iOS business is too big to share the stage with the Mac anymore. If it was up to me, I'd have Mavericks, new Mac Pros, and a Haswell update to the laptop line (most signs point to October for this). Then launch the iPads at their own event in November.

I left out the Mac mini as I would expect Apple to do a "silent refresh" w/ upgraded internals, similar to what we saw with the iMac today. 

post #67 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

.... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?

I don't get this either! Drop $2000 on a computer and fussing over a set of desktop speakers because it violates the AIO Aesthetic!

post #68 of 162
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why would an iPhone even need ac?

640k(bps) ought to be enough for anyone. ;)

99.9% of the population doesn’t get those kinds of speeds at their home- so it is really only beneficial for file transfers…

Yeah, that’s the entire point. The Internet will NEVER* be that fast, so it’s for moving through local networks.

…nothing the iPhone does.

AirPlay of 1080p content…

*Not conditional. I truly believe it will never be this fast simply because they can scam us out of money for the same speeds for an entire decade.

post #69 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

I hope so.  Also mini uses intel's GPUs, so haswell would be a sizable update.

But yet it wasn't updated! Make me wonder if it will be around in its current form much longer.
post #70 of 162

I'm in the market for a new Mac, my main machine is a 2007 Windows PC turned Hackintosh and I want Apple Hardware.

Laptops don't really interest me, why sacrifice performance and screen estate just for portability,  my needs don't require me to be able to walk around with a computer.

This is a nice update. I'd like to see the benchmarks, sure Haswell doesn't offer much performance upgrades, but if the CPU gives out about 5-7% you are essentially getting the same performance grade as upgrading from the i5 to the i7 custom build option on the previous gen models, which apple charge $200 for, so your getting a free $200 upgrade.

SSD moving to PCI-E is also a good move, I suspect this won't improve the fusion drive as much but it's still a good update as well as a pretty decent gfx update.

Waiting to see what is actually up with the Mac Pro and price ranges, as well as the outside possibility of an upscale Mac Mini being launched.

post #71 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

I don't get this either! Drop $2000 on a computer and fussing over a set of desktop speakers because it violates the AIO Aesthetic!

And you can get reasonable ones that pretty well match the design of the iMac for not much money (I got these for $35, they're a bit more now):  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VT6V4/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #72 of 162
A decent upgrade, but no discrete graphics on the base version or Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.1 on any of the new range, and what about the Mini?
post #73 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Strange that they waited so long to get the iMac out…

And it’s not Thunderbolt 2.

They didn’t even update its own product page. 1confused.gif

Obviously Apples opinion of the iMac and the desktop in general is pretty low right now. They phone in updates to minimize distractions, so that they can focus on making billions off portables.

Apple might be justified to an extent, I believe right now all desktop sales for Apple have collapsed with most Mac sales going to the laptops.
post #74 of 162
Quote:

SSD moving to PCI-E is also a good move, I suspect this won't improve the fusion drive as much but it's still a good update as well as a pretty decent gfx update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new iMac also features support for PCIe-based flash storage that makes Fusion Drive and all-flash storage options up to 50 percent faster than the previous generation.

Go for the iMac- you won't regret it.

post #75 of 162
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post
A decent upgrade, but no discrete graphics on the base version or Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.1 on any of the new range, and what about the Mini?

I’m going to guess no Thunderbolt 2 or discrete graphics on that, either. :p

USB 3.1? What’s the point?

post #76 of 162
Quote:

AirPlay of 1080p content…

Who has 1080p content on their phone?  A Mac or even an iPad I could see.... but an iPhone?

post #77 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks
2. Mac Pro
3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)
4. iPad
5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

I'm wondering if they are going to do another WhooptiDo announcement in a couple of weeks for some of their other product announcements or if they are just going to do these "quiet" announcements where they drag in the media.  I'm thinking they'll do something with the new iPads and MacPro system and maybe laptops if they have enough drastic changes to product specs. This one is an incremental improvement and I don't they needed to do a major presentation.

post #78 of 162

OK, great. Now lets get that 750m inside a 15" MBP, and I'm in line at the Apple store...

... oh, and don't forget to de-gimp the nVidia drivers!

Tweet by Feral to me: In theory the 330M is more powerful than the 320M but in practise the performance of the 330M and its drivers is much weaker.

Apple seems to gimp OpenGL drivers... which is why you always get better performance in Windows and Linux than in OS X on the same hardware. 

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #79 of 162
Quote:

I’m going to guess no Thunderbolt 2 or discrete graphics on that, either. :p

USB 3.1? What’s the point?

USB 3.1 might not hit the streets for probably another 3 to 4 years.  That's how long it took for USB 3 to hit the market once they finalized the spec.

post #80 of 162
Did the iMac pricing increase in the US, or is it just us Brits that get screwed over as usual?
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics