or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics - Page 3

post #81 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

OK, great. Now lets get that 750m inside a 15" MBP, and I'm in line at the Apple store...

... oh, and don't forget to de-gimp the nVidia drivers!

Tweet by Feral to me: In theory the 330M is more powerful than the 320M but in practise the performance of the 330M and its drivers is much weaker.

Apple seems to gimp OpenGL drivers... which is why you always get better performance in Windows and Linux than in OS X on the same hardware. 

Mavericks does address driver issues in depth, so maybe some of those embarrassing performance numbers are a thing of the past.
post #82 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AirPlay of 1080p content…

Who has 1080p content on their phone?  A Mac or even an iPad I could see.... but an iPhone?

iPhone 5s shoots 1080p

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #83 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Mavericks does address driver issues in depth, so maybe some of those embarrassing performance numbers are a thing of the past.

I really hope so... I'd love to drop Bootcamp for Batman and Bioshock!

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #84 of 162
Who has 1080p content on their phone?  A Mac or even an iPad I could see.... but an iPhone?
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPhone 5s shoots 1080p

So does the 5. And beyond that, who WOULDN’T have 1080 on their devices? So what the screen can’t show every pixel, you can still play it. And then when it comes time to AirPlay, you have literally the smallest device capable of streaming 1080p to any TV right in your pocket

post #85 of 162

Great news, I'll be picking up one of these as soon as they start shipping them with Mavericks.  8-)

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #86 of 162
Quote:

If you're only going to watch it on the phone, then you'd be correct. But if you're going to Airplay it to a big screen TV, 1080p has value.

Furthermore, if you're recording on you phone and then transferring to your computer to play on the computer or burn a disk, then 1080p is useful, too.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #87 of 162
New Mac Minis soon?
post #88 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Well this ist the most quiet update I've ever seen - the website doesn't even add a NEW badge to the iMacs!

Maybe it doesn't have a fan.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #89 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Great news, I'll be picking up one of these as soon as they start shipping them with Mavericks.  1cool.gif

They just might be releasing 10.9 within 1 month, and might make you eligible for a free upgrade.

Did they ever gave notice in advance, or only after a major OSX release?
post #90 of 162
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
They just might be releasing 10.9 within 1 month, and might make you eligible for a free upgrade.

Did they ever gave notice in advance, or only after a major OSX release?

All computers purchased after the announcement of the release date of a new OS X have received the OS for free.

post #91 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Where is the retina display version?
I am waiting here with a 3.4 year old iMac.
Waiting.

As much as I would want that myself, I think it is cost-wise not feasible yet. The only 4k panel (32" IGZO by Sharp) currently available is still close to $3k. That would likely be a $5k iMac.

post #92 of 162
Quote:

All computers purchased after the announcement of the release date of a new OS X have received the OS for free.

True, but in the past they have added that information in the online store. I am quite sure they will still do it, but there must be a reason why they do not mention it anymore... maybe it will indeed become a free update for all.

post #93 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

As much as I would want that myself, I think it is cost-wise not feasible yet. The only 4k panel (32" IGZO by Sharp) currently available is still close to $3k. That would likely be a $5k iMac.

To be fair, Apple would be buying them in huge quantities, so the price would be somewhat lower, but I agree that it's not yet ready.

I suspect that a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they do have it, though. You're viewing a 27" iMac from a great enough distance that even the current resolution isn't that far off from 'retina'. And if your vision is less than perfect, you may not see any significant improvement at al.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #94 of 162
21.5-inch: 2.9GHz already 2-3 weeks
post #95 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I suspect that a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they do have it, though. You're viewing a 27" iMac from a great enough distance that even the current resolution isn't that far off from 'retina'. And if your vision is less than perfect, you may not see any significant improvement at al.

That's true. I am happy with the 27" Thunderbolt Display and the resolution is certainly good enough. It would be handy for reviewing 4k footage though, for which we currently need a dedicated display (that is not really useable for anything else). There are certain compression and noise problems which you simply can't detect on lower resolution screens.

post #96 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

You wouldn't recommend this incredible piece of hardware because you don't want to buy your own speakers, headphones, or other audio monitors? Wouldn't anyone as interested in audio quality as yourself always use external monitors rather than those installed on any desktop out of the box? 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #97 of 162
Quote:

True, but in the past they have added that information in the online store. I am quite sure they will still do it, but there must be a reason why they do not mention it anymore... maybe it will indeed become a free update for all.

Or maybe it's no longer much of an issue.

In the old days, upgrading Mac OS was $129. If you were buying a $1500 computer, that might be enough to make you delay your purchase, so they mentioned that you were getting a free upgrade so you didn't wait until the new OS was out.

Today, the OS upgrade is typically $20. At that price, it's not likely to affect your decision. If you need (or want) a new computer in the $2 K range, you're probably not delaying because of a free upgrade that would only cost you $20. So even if they plan to give free upgrades to recent purchasers, there's not that much to be gained by mentioning it.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #98 of 162

Yeah, and since they haven’t told us the release date yet, I don’t think that’s an assumption we can make.

post #99 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

.... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
post #100 of 162
Quote:

If you're at all serious about music, you'd have external speakers, anyway. And if you're going to be using external speakers, who cares what the internal audio is like?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
post #101 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

My 2011 iMac stays on the table and money in my pocket. Won't change until Retina. Got used to it on Macbook. Same goes for iPad Mini.

Better iTunes experience anyway, thanks to the much better sounding out of the box speakers. But shush, don't tell anyone around here because Apple is never wrong. Ever.
post #102 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I formally reject your advice and recommendation. It's nonsense.

I don't care what you do. The speaker experience out of the box is awful. The iMac is an AIO. That's why people buy it. The thin chin is Apple form over function at its worst I have ever seen it.
post #103 of 162
Quote:

If you're only going to watch it on the phone, then you'd be correct. But if you're going to Airplay it to a big screen TV, 1080p has value.

Furthermore, if you're recording on you phone and then transferring to your computer to play on the computer or burn a disk, then 1080p is useful, too.
My brain wasn't working. I was thinking of videos from iTunes (in which case you'd just use standard def on your phone)- but I forgot about that little thing on the back of the phone called a camera. Duh!

I'll proceed to sitting in the corner now....

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #104 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post

Apple once again pulling ahead of the "competition". Another nail in the coffin of PCs.

Looks like a decent upgrade for the iMacs, but how well is that mobile chipset gonna push the display at native resolution in modern games? For those of us really into PC games it isn't going to touch a real desktop setup.

post #105 of 162
Quote:

You are right, of course, but I've done that dance as far back as Leopard/Snow Leopard, and I've just found it easiest to roll with the new OS preinstalled on a new Mac whenever possible (esp. in the age of recovery partitions. etc.).  As always, YMMV.

post #106 of 162

I'm ready to order the 21.5" - but the deal breaker is the non-user access to the RAM.  That is such an incredibly stupid decision.  How do I know what I will need 3 years from now .... will 8GB be enough -- or will even 16 GB be too little ?  Having to take the whole thing apart to update RAM is just not going to work for me.

So - the choice is the huge 27" it will overwhelm my desktop --- but it does offer:

>user-accessible SO-DIMM slots<  upgrade to 32GB as needed.

I had hopes that this update would fix this dumb move -- but for the 21.5" it is still soldered RAM.  

Too bad.

Photoshop User 2
Photoshop User 2
post #107 of 162

The 21.5" imac with the 750m GPU has its shipping date to 2-3 weeks already.

post #108 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

I'm ready to order the 21.5" - but the deal breaker is the non-user access to the RAM.  That is such an incredibly stupid decision.  How do I know what I will need 3 years from now .... will 8GB be enough -- or will even 16 GB be too little ?  Having to take the whole thing apart to update RAM is just not going to work for me.

So - the choice is the huge 27" it will overwhelm my desktop --- but it does offer:
>
user-accessible SO-DIMM slots<  upgrade to 32GB as needed.
I had hopes that this update would fix this dumb move -- but for the 21.5" it is still soldered RAM.  
Too bad.

That's my dilemma too. So I guess I'll have to get the 27".
post #109 of 162
Is the internet only in Canada slow?
post #110 of 162
Quote:

So - the choice is the huge 27" it will overwhelm my desktop

I thought that too, when I ordered the 30" when it was EOL-ed. So happy now. Definitely go for the bigger iMac; you'll be pleased, no, happy, no, ecstatic with your decision. Especially if you're into photography. But also with day to day stuff: 3 windows/apps next to each other and all that.
post #111 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Looks like a decent upgrade for the iMacs, but how well is that mobile chipset gonna push the display at native resolution in modern games? For those of us really into PC games it isn't going to touch a real desktop setup.

"Serious" gamers have generally avoided Macs, anyway, so it's not the target audience. Intel's Haswell graphics will be fine for casual gamers - and even mid-range gamers, but it's unlikely that you'd be buying an AIO (from ANYONE, much less from Apple) if you were a serious gamer.
Quote:

>
user-accessible SO-DIMM slots<  upgrade to 32GB as needed.
Too bad.

That's a choice you have to make. Apple has apparently found that very few people actually upgrade their RAM, anyway, especially on lower end models. I know that my experience is that not that many people do it. And given the high resale value of Macs, selling your old one and buying a new one is not that expensive of an option if in 3 years you find that 16 GB isn't enough.

(although I suspect that it will be plenty for most people. The years of rapidly escalating RAM requirements seem to be behind us).
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #112 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks
2. Mac Pro
3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)
4. iPad
5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

+ a LOT of Software (new iWork, iLife, Aperture? ...) 

+ some news for iCloud? (Photostream for all photos? Including video?) 
post #113 of 162

Get a pair of B&W MM-1's ..... fabulous sound, and classy looks.

As for me, my 2009 iMac is hanging on .... waiting for Haswell RMBP.

post #114 of 162

It's great that Apple is updating the iMacs...

But where's the 802.11ac on iPhone 5s and 5c's ?

post #115 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

It's great that Apple is updating the iMacs...

But where's the 802.11ac on iPhone 5s and 5c's ?

Yeah, I asked the same question and then did a little searching. It looks like Broadcom does not yet have an ac wi-fi chip for phones. They have them for PC and tablets, but not small enough for the iPhone I guess. Next year for sure. Probably will be in the upcoming iPad though.

post #116 of 162
Time for me to update my desktop.
post #117 of 162
``Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M''

It once again tells me Apple is only serious about OpenCL on their truly Pro machines.

Nvidia OpenCL is absolute garbage.
post #118 of 162
Quote:

That's true. I am happy with the 27" Thunderbolt Display and the resolution is certainly good enough. It would be handy for reviewing 4k footage though, for which we currently need a dedicated display (that is not really useable for anything else). There are certain compression and noise problems which you simply can't detect on lower resolution screens.

4K while nice, I just don't see it happening anytime soon for the iMac.  That's a huge amount of pixels, which will require a beefy GPU, and obviously people will complain about NEVER buying a 1st-gen of anything Apple.

I think 4K will be left for the Mac Pro for the near future.  My 27" iMac at home and my 27" LED display at the office (for the MBA) has fantastic resolution and considering the distance the monitors are from my eyes, retina on the desktop for everyday work is more for spec-heads than the joe consumer.

I doubt it will be cheap too...
post #119 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

4K while nice, I just don't see it happening anytime soon for the iMac.  That's a huge amount of pixels, which will require a beefy GPU, and obviously people will complain about NEVER buying a 1st-gen of anything Apple.

Yeah, and normally the same people who say they are not innovating enough :-)

For years I have bought almost everything 1st-gen from Apple, and I really did not run into too many problems. The hinges on my Titanium book and the liquid cooling in my Dual 2.7 GHz G5 PowerMac are actually the only two severe ones I can remember over many years.

post #120 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone
iPhone 5s shoots 1080p
Quote:

So does the 5. And beyond that, who WOULDN’T have 1080 on their devices?
As does the 4S.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics