or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new A7 CPU dissected to reveal 28nm manufacturing process
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new A7 CPU dissected to reveal 28nm manufacturing process

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
The new silicon found in Apple's iPhone 5s has been viewed under a microscope, revealing some of the secrets of the custom-built A7 processor and M7 motion co-processor.

Chipworks
Cross-section of the new A7 CPU. Photo via iFixit.


Chipworks and iFixit published the results of their extensive teardown on Tuesday of the A7 CPU, M7 chip, and iSight camera found inside the iPhone 5s. Chipworks was able to take layers off of the semiconductors by blasting them with an "Ion Beam Etcher," then viewing them with a transmission electron microscope.

The analysis revealed that the Samsung-manufactured chip is using the company's 28-nanometer Hi K metal Gate process. That's the same process as used by the eight-core Samsung Exynos 5410, which is the flagship CPU found in the South Korean company's latest Galaxy-branded devices.

The "gate pitch," or distance between each transistor, inside the A7 is 114 nanometers, smaller than the 123-nanometer distance found in the A6. That allows Apple to pack as much power as the A6 into an area 77 percent as large.

But the A7 chip uses an even larger amount of total space than the A6, which means the extra space offered by the 28-nanometer process has allowed Apple to significantly improve the performance of its latest mobile processor.

Chipworks
The new M7 motion co-processor. Photo via iFixit.


As for the M7 motion co-processor found in the iPhone 5s, Chipworks found that the part is an ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller. It collects info from a Bosch Sensortech BMA220 3-axis accelerometer, STMicroelectronics 3-axis gyroscope, and AKM AK8963 3-axis magnetometer.

The silicon experts noted that collecting motion data with the A7 processor would be "mega-overkill." As a result, the new M7 allows low-power observation of the motion sensing capabilities of the iPhone 5s.

Also analyzed was the new iSight camera, revealing the larger active pixel area offered by the improved sensors. The analysis also found that the iPhone 5s features the same Wi-Fi module as last year's iPhone 5, while the new Qualcomm 4G LTE modem runs on a two-chip system with parts from Samsung.
post #2 of 54

Above the GPU blocks, there appears to be an sRAM block to my eyes. That's interesting, as the Wii U GPU also has that on the GPU die in addition to its larger slower eDRAM. I wonder what the performance implications are, and how big that is. I wonder if it could be used for the framebuffer for the GPU, or if it serves another function? It's too far from the CPU to seemingly be related to that. Too much latency for no reason.

post #3 of 54
Will an A-series chip make it into a MacBook Air in the next 5 years? That's the question.

And will Apple get into the fab business?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #4 of 54

I am really curious why they didn't go with the Qualcomm RF360 which would allow far fewer SKU's. Was the RF360 delayed or simply not ready to be produced in such large quantities? For anyone not familiar with it here you go. It basically is a rosetta stone for all bands and frequencies in one radio chip so Apple could make one model to run on any carrier instead of multiple ones like they do now. 

 

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releases/2013/02/21/qualcomm-rf360-front-end-solution-enables-single-global-lte-design-next

 

http://www.zdnet.com/qualcomms-rf360-puts-40-mobile-bands-onto-a-single-chip-7000011682/

 

The A7 seems very impressive. Even though a dual core at 1.3Ghz on paper at least it might seem to be much slower than all though 1.8 and even 2GHz and faster quad cores running in the latest Androids I think it will hold it's own is actual real world use. To the uninformed public simply looking at raw numbers though they might think the competition is much faster even if it is not. Since Apple doesn't advertise the CPU speed though most won't even have a clue but no doubt Verizon, Bestbuy and other employees will make sure they know since they still seem to push other phones over Apple for higher commissions. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The analysis revealed that the Samsung-manufactured chip is using the company's 28-nanometer Hi K metal Gate process. That's the same process as used by the eight-core Samsung Exynos 5410, which is the flagship CPU found in the South Korean company's latest Galaxy-branded devices.

 The analysis also found that the iPhone 5s features the same Wi-Fi module as last year's iPhone 5, while the new Qualcomm 4G LTE modem runs on a two-chip system with parts from Samsung.

 

Oh man, poor DED...

 

Hopefully next year Apple can cut 'em loose. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Will an A-series chip make it into a MacBook Air in the next 5 years? That's the question.

And will Apple get into the fab business?

 

Giving the iPad a Surface like keyboard and trackpad dock, I can see. 

Going the other way, and taking the x86 chip out of the Air? No, can't see that. Going from PPC to x86 made sense because the windows universe already used it and it had the widest compatibility. Going the other way and dumping x86 compatibility in favor of ARM doesn't make much sense. Apple clearly has some chip designing chops, but ARM is still quite a ways away from Haswell ULV chips let alone Broadwell and so on, Intel keeps moving up too. 

post #7 of 54

My iPad 3 is starting to feel a bit weak, especially when using certain apps. And while I do like iOS 7, I do notice that it is slightly more processor intensive than iOS 6. 

 

I look forward to getting my new iPad 5 next month, which will have even more power than the iPhone 5s A7 chip, since it will be clocked higher.

post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Will an A-series chip make it into a MacBook Air in the next 5 years? That's the question.

And will Apple get into the fab business?

maybe.  Minimally, there will be internal 'show this baby to Intel before you start negotiating on the haswell follow-on chip' prototype to use as a negotiation chip.  Intel has to respect the fact that Apple has potential low cost options (no intel tax) via ARM.

 

No.  Apple will always leave the Fab to someone else.  For the similar reasons… It's too expensive to get into the business, and they can play the fab players against each other on discounting the bulk creation of their wafers.  They can outsource that risk, and hedge by outsourcing (or threatening) to multiple suppliers.  Being the cash rich (we'll pay up front but with performance penalties if you fail) and Fabless keeps Apple's CapEx focussed on the accelerating better end product, and less on expensive, but effectively a competitive commodity component manufacturing capability.  

 

 

While I'm surprised Samsung is building the A7 chips, They may not be building ALL the chips (maybe all the China Mobile A7s are TMSC;-) ), or they may not be making OTHER chips (A6X, A7X).   Also, This maybe tacit proof that the lawsuits have caused a some 'clean room' separation from the chip division and the mobile division in Samsung.   From their reaction to the 64 bit aspect of the A7, it may be several months (and months is forever in consumer mobile) before they have a competing integrated solution (CPU, OS, Apps all optimized for 64bit).   

post #9 of 54

Did they get that right 

 

Quote:
The analysis revealed that the Samsung-manufactured chip is using the company's 28-nanometer Hi K metal Gate process.

 

So Apple makes a 64 bits processor and Samsung phone business had no clue was was happening across the street in the Fab.

post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Did they get that right 

 

 

So Apple makes a 64 bits processor and Samsung phone business had no clue was was happening across the street in the Fab.

 

Who says they have no clue? Just, a lot of it is patent protected. You know, you or I, or especially the likes of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc, can decap competitors processors and look at them under a microscope to understand an overview of how they work, it's why they're all fairly straightforward about talking about new architectures when they're out, everyone would find out anyways. But it's the patents that protect doing things certain ways. 

post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Did they get that right 

 

 

So Apple makes a 64 bits processor and Samsung phone business had no clue was was happening across the street in the Fab.

 

It's called an NDA.

post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
 

 

Giving the iPad a Surface like keyboard and trackpad dock, I can see. 

Why? Because the Surface was such a momentous success?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Did they get that right 

 

 

So Apple makes a 64 bits processor and Samsung phone business had no clue was was happening across the street in the Fab.

 

​To be fair, their fab is not "across the street" it's halfway across the globe. I know since I live less than a mile from the fab in Austin.

post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
 

 

Giving the iPad a Surface like keyboard and trackpad dock, I can see. 

Going the other way, and taking the x86 chip out of the Air? No, can't see that. Going from PPC to x86 made sense because the windows universe already used it and it had the widest compatibility. Going the other way and dumping x86 compatibility in favor of ARM doesn't make much sense. Apple clearly has some chip designing chops, but ARM is still quite a ways away from Haswell ULV chips let alone Broadwell and so on, Intel keeps moving up too. 

 

in the next 1-3 years, agreed.  But always having an MBA prototype that is AxX powered as you walk into a meeting with Intel for long term 'partnership' discussions  is a strong bargaining chip.   Apple is the big consumer of high end Intel x86 chips… and controls it's own ARM chip development.  It makes for good negotiations on both pricing and capabilities (for stuff like GPUs).

 
Your point on 'windows universe already used it….'  what happens when 40% of the 'personal computers' sold are ARM chip powered?  then 50%…. And then Windows 9 comes out fully ARMed…   I will argue that the 'Intel Inside' Sticker may be a 'stamp tax' for a lot of consumers (I just need to watch netflix, run a Web Browser, and do some spreadsheets).   
 
If you're apple, we're not long until the converse of that statement… '1Billion iOS devices already use it [A-Series]' is true and iOS is built using the same and similar OSX components running on Intel [read: OSX on ARM should be trivial, especially without the comets tail of macOS compatibility].   At what point does the economics cross over?
 
It may be somewhat sacreligous, but in 5 years, most of the compute power you 'need' will be a network hop away.  That may always be big iron Intel, but on a laptop, when all apps are effectively 'cloud enabled?'  At what point is your primary computing bottleneck the size of your AWS instance and the applications' QoS setting  via your ISP?
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

 

 

While I'm surprised Samsung is building the A7 chips, They may not be building ALL the chips (maybe all the China Mobile A7s are TMSC;-) ), or they may not be making OTHER chips (A6X, A7X).  

Pretty sure Samsung is already making the A6X.  A7X if produced would most likely come from Samsung just because of the similarities. 

I don't see how they would split A7 between 2 different fabs, it's not just simply a 1:1 copy, a lot of work would need to be done to integrate with TSMC's fab/process. Also any split would undoubtedly effect unit price, why would apple compromise their margin and increase their complexity by splitting across 2 different fabs? Doesn't make sense to me.

A8 and onwards, who knows. 

post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

 

It's called an NDA.

 

Actually, I think it's called a 'court order' in this case.  There were NDAs before, My guess is that Samsung is enjoined by both contractual penalty and court decree that if Apple 'sniffs' a leak, they can come down with a subpoena for all of Samsung's internal communications, and slap them with a judicially approved fine that would be a serious penalty if found twice failing to honor the NDA.   

 

Samsung Chip Fabs need to run at full capacity to be profitable.  Apple is a big player. Samsung doesn't want to lose this business.  the TMSC rumor is likely true to the extent that 'some' apple business is in their Fab, and Samsung can infer it from the orders they are receiving. (that was why the Analysts felt Apple was slumping on delivery… All their spies were in Samsung's pipeline). 
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

 

Actually, I think it's called a 'court order' in this case.  There were NDAs before, My guess is that Samsung is enjoined by both contractual penalty and court decree that if Apple 'sniffs' a leak, they can come down with a subpoena for all of Samsung's internal communications, and slap them with a judicially approved fine that would be a serious penalty if found twice failing to honor the NDA.  

You seem to be implying that Samsung Semiconductor has broken the apple NDA before? Did I miss something?

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My iPad 3 is starting to feel a bit weak, especially when using certain apps. And while I do like iOS 7, I do notice that it is slightly more processor intensive than iOS 6. 

I look forward to getting my new iPad 5 next month, which will have even more power than the iPhone 5s A7 chip, since it will be clocked higher.
I haven't installed iOS 7 on my iPad for this reason. I'll wait until the new iPads come out.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I haven't installed iOS 7 on my iPad for this reason. I'll wait until the new iPads come out.

 

I haven't noticed any slowdown. Though I find the screen 'zoom' in/out of apps to be quite annoying.

It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

So Apple makes a 64 bits processor and Samsung phone business had no clue was was happening across the street in the Fab.

 

Problem is, Samsung don't have an internal R&D team for designing new ARM cores, they are only allow to use standard core design in their SoC since Apple bought their R&D team with their architectural license (Intrinsity) 3 years ago. 

post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

​To be fair, their fab is not "across the street" it's halfway across the globe. I know since I live less than a mile from the fab in Austin.

They don't have access to phones or email at Samsung?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I haven't installed iOS 7 on my iPad for this reason. I'll wait until the new iPads come out.

I don't know about the iPad, but iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 is every bit as fast as iOS 6 was. I don't see any difference at all.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I haven't installed iOS 7 on my iPad for this reason. I'll wait until the new iPads come out.

 

I don't regret updating to iOS 7. The fresh, new look and added features are well worth it, IMO.

 
I feel that my iPad 3 has been a little weak for some time now, even when I was on iOS 6. For doing most tasks, the iPad 3 still rocks. I only notice that I could use a bit more power when using certain, very CPU heavy apps.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My iPad 3 is starting to feel a bit weak, especially when using certain apps. And while I do like iOS 7, I do notice that it is slightly more processor intensive than iOS 6. 

I look forward to getting my new iPad 5 next month, which will have even more power than the iPhone 5s A7 chip, since it will be clocked higher.

Agree. My iPad 3 is a bit sluggish with ios7. Not awful, but it really does stutter on some apps.
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

Pretty sure Samsung is already making the A6X.  A7X if produced would most likely come from Samsung just because of the similarities. 

I don't see how they would split A7 between 2 different fabs, it's not just simply a 1:1 copy, a lot of work would need to be done to integrate with TSMC's fab/process. Also any split would undoubtedly effect unit price, why would apple compromise their margin and increase their complexity by splitting across 2 different fabs? Doesn't make sense to me.

A8 and onwards, who knows. 

I agree on the A7 (first batches need to minimize variations).

 

However, on the A6X and A6, I would argue that TMSC can be making these chips in parallel for other products (5c?).  Again, If you feel the analysts misread the pipeline by focusing only on Samsung, then you would assume that there are multiple sources for the A series chips.

 

You say 'compromise' as if it's a bad thing;-)

 

Why do investors hedge investments.  It's a long term risk reduction strategy.  I may make less money, but I won't lose MORE money.

(Why do people build a DR site?  Why do people put some of their Cloud in AWS, and some in Rackspace?)

 

If you put the risk on TMSC and drive them to competitive par with Samsung.   You spend a little money avoiding a 'single point of failure' (failure in ability to deliver, failure in ability to negotiate lower prices, failure distribute risk to your supplier).   If you control the QA, have proper vendor controls in place, then a diverse supply chain is a good thing.

 

And long term, if TMSC pans out, and if Samsung sees there is real competition for the account, then the negotiations are from a position of strength.   

 

The beauty of Apple is that their 'game' is not played on 90 day or 365 day profit cycles.   They can invest in their roadmap 2-3 years ahead of where they need to be.   Sort of like Flash Memory during the iPod days… Buying up all the Flash capacity the year before.  Genius.

 

Apple is playing Go, where most of the rest of the tech leaders are playing checkers (I see how you did that… I can do that too).

 

Except Amazon… They are playing Calvinball.

post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They don't have access to phones or email at Samsung?

Nope. All email is dumped the second it's received at Samsung. You don't remember the recent discovery issue in the Apple lawsuit?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


Agree. My iPad 3 is a bit sluggish with ios7. Not awful, but it really does stutter on some apps.

 

Same with my iPhone 4s… screen transisitions seem slow…

 
But… I've threatened it with a 5s upgrade… It will either improve or be sent to some unknowing relative as a regifted phone;-)
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't know about the iPad, but iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 is every bit as fast as iOS 6 was. I don't see any difference at all.

I gave my iPhone 5 to my daughter since my 5s will arrive this week, and you're correct: iOS 7 is smooth on the phone.
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I agree on the A7 (first batches need to minimize variations).

However, on the A6X and A6, I would argue that TMSC can be making these chips in parallel for other products (5c?).  Again, If you feel the analysts misread the pipeline by focusing only on Samsung, then you would assume that there are multiple sources for the A series chips

Apple does not list Taiwan Semiconductor as a supplier of any 2013 products or components.
http://images.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/pdf/Apple_Supplier_List_2013.pdf
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Same with my iPhone 4s… screen transisitions seem slow…
 
But… I've threatened it with a 5s upgrade… It will either improve or be sent to some unknowing relative as a regifted phone;-)

I'm using a 4s right now on iOS 7 too. It doesn't handle as well as iOS 6. But this 4s also has a cracked screen so it's the least of my annoyances ha! 5s is supposed to arrive tomorrow!
post #29 of 54

Enjoy that contract money while it lasts, Samsung.

Apple could go with TSMC and/or Intel next year with a 20nm process.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

  Again, If you feel the analysts misread the pipeline by focusing only on Samsung, then you would assume that there are multiple sources for the A series chips.

 

 

 

I think it's pretty clear that the analysts misread a lot of things. I didn't see anything that indicated that Samsung fab capacity was a factor in number of phones available at launch or otherwise, or maybe I'm missing your point?

post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


They don't have access to phones or email at Samsung?

Did I claim such a thing? Yes, they do. That doesn't constitute them being "across the street".

 

Jeez having to actually defend Scamsung on something...

post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Did they get that right 

 

 

So Apple makes a 64 bits processor and Samsung phone business had no clue was was happening across the street in the Fab.

 

Probably not.

 
As the chip goes through pilot and into production, Apple will have been guiding the device through the fab.  Ultimately, assuming Samsung didn't get a lot of chance to look very closely at the reticles used in photo (and Apple will have guarded access to them closely), it's very difficult to tell the structure of a device as it's manufactured, beyond being able to see generally, that part is memory, that part is logic etc.
 
As long as you name your recipes sensibly, it gives little away.  As an example, if you called as step, I don't know, SDEIMP for the Source-Drain Extension Implant, you wouldn't know if that was implanting a gate for a 16bit, 32bit, 64 bit processor (or even a gate for a memory block).  If, however, you called it SDEIMPFORA64BITPROCESSOR, you'd probably give a little more away.......
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Agree. My iPad 3 is a bit sluggish with ios7. Not awful, but it really does stutter on some apps.

Try disabling some Spotlight options. I saw an immediate, huge speed increase when I disabled music. I have only iCoud based music on iDevices now via iTunes Match so I wondered if this might make a difference and boy did it. Not sure why, I doubt it was indexing them in the cloud but ya never know! 1hmm.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

You seem to be implying that Samsung Semiconductor has broken the apple NDA before? Did I miss something?

 

Samsung Electronics, it's parent company.   and yes it's an implication.  Not bearing in fact.   The fact is Samsung is under injunction to be ready to prove that any designs of it's devices must not be derivative of Apple Product technically or in 'dress.'   The fact that that paper exists, give them 'faster entry' into any Samsung business, as the court has already ruled in favor.   No Samsung Semi person will risk another Billion of punitive damages in sharing proprietary product information with anyone outside those that need to know.

post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

 

1. Samsung Electronics, it's parent company.   and yes it's an implication.  Not bearing in fact.   The fact is Samsung is under injunction to be ready to prove that any designs of it's devices must not be derivative of Apple Product technically or in 'dress.'   The fact that that paper exists, give them 'faster entry' into any Samsung business, as the court has already ruled in favor.   

 

2.No Samsung Semi person will risk another Billion of punitive damages in sharing proprietary product information with anyone outside those that need to know.

 

I don't see how these are even related, how is #2 covered by #1?   

post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

 

I think it's pretty clear that the analysts misread a lot of things. I didn't see anything that indicated that Samsung fab capacity was a factor in number of phones available at launch or otherwise, or maybe I'm missing your point?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

 

I think it's pretty clear that the analysts misread a lot of things. I didn't see anything that indicated that Samsung fab capacity was a factor in number of phones available at launch or otherwise, or maybe I'm missing your point?

Misek proclaimed (via cnet) in June: "Our checks also indicate that Apple's wafer starts at Samsung's Austin fab have likely been cut"

 

Maybe that's 'otherwise' but that's my reference.  One could argue that's retroactive (and not forward looking), but the premise of his guidance was 'Apple to cut iPhone orders for the rest of the [2013] year.'  

 

And I wasn't presupposing launch, just A6 chip starts.

post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try disabling some Spotlight options. I saw an immediate, huge speed increase when I disabled music. I have only iCoud based music on iDevices now via iTunes Match so I wondered if this might make a difference and boy did it. Not sure why, I doubt it was indexing them in the cloud but ya never know! 1hmm.gif

Hey thanks for the tip! Will try that this evening.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Apple does not list Taiwan Semiconductor as a supplier of any 2013 products or components.
http://images.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/pdf/Apple_Supplier_List_2013.pdf

 

Dated… January 2013.  over 9 months have passed.  the 5c and 5s weren't products at that time.  I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying that data point is probably not accurately reflecting Sept 20th status.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

 

Misek proclaimed (via cnet) in June: "Our checks also indicate that Apple's wafer starts at Samsung's Austin fab have likely been cut"

 

Maybe that's 'otherwise' but that's my reference.  One could argue that's retroactive (and not forward looking), but the premise of his guidance was 'Apple to cut iPhone orders for the rest of the [2013] year.'  

 

And I wasn't presupposing launch, just A6 chip starts.

 

Aaah, the famous Misek.

post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying that data point is probably not accurately reflecting Sept 20th status.

 

I would agree with that. And to quote Tim Cook

 
"even if a particular data point were factual, it would be impossible to interpret that data point as to what it meant for our business."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new A7 CPU dissected to reveal 28nm manufacturing process