or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's top lobbyist nominated for US State Department position
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's top lobbyist nominated for US State Department position

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Apple's vice president of Worldwide Government Affairs Catherine Novelli has been nominated by President Barack Obama for Under Secretary for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment, a post at the State Department.

Novelli
Catherine Novelli. | Source: C-SPAN


The nomination to President Barack Obama's administration was made official on Tuesday by the White House, reports AllThingsD.

Since 2007, Novelli has been employed as Apple's lead lobbyist, but her pedigree in U.S. politics dates back to the 1980s. From 1985 to 1991, Novelli served in the Office of the General Counsel at the Department of Commerce and was a top trade representative for the George W. Bush administration.

While Apple isn't known for its lobbying prowess, the company has ramped up its presence in Washington after becoming the largest tech company in the world. According to a Reuters report from May, Apple spent around $2 million in its lobbying efforts last year, but is expected to double that in 2013. Chief among the company's concerns is taxation on profits held by offshore subsidiaries.

In comparison to other tech firms, Apple's spending is quite low. For example, Microsoft's lobbying expenditures were pegged at $8 million in 2012, while Google spent $16.5 million during the same period.

Prior to Apple, Novelli was a partner at law firm Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw.
post #2 of 9

Why does Apple have lobbyists? Eh, I guess if anyone knows about removing harmful products, it’s Apple. 


Request to preemptively move this thread to PO, though. :p

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #3 of 9
Will this help Apple in any way, or her post just a waste of time for all concerned?

Apple spent $2 million on lobbying? Good grief. No wonder Apple has no clout anywhere.
post #4 of 9

That is what Democracy is all about. 

Democracy is an arena, where different interests fight for a better position.

Yes, it is a fight that should have impartial referees.

Referees are the people.

 

Democracy does not equal justice per se.

post #5 of 9

You know what they say, the fusion of big government and big business = fascism!  We do not want fascism!  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_fascism

 

Watch the documentary movie:  America:  Freedom to Fascism

http://freedomtofascism.com

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post
 

That is what Democracy is all about. 

Democracy is an arena, where different interests fight for a better position.

Yes, it is a fight that should have impartial referees.

Referees are the people.

 

Democracy does not equal justice per se.

 

When did you EVER read that the United States is a democracy?  You will not find the word "democracy" even once in the Constitution!  It is not, it is a Constitutional Republic.  We only democratically elect our leaders.  

 
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what is for dinner.
post #7 of 9

revolving door much? what's new?  I guess this explains Obama's last ITC veto.   Horay! American corporatism!

 

Assistant US Trade Representative

USTR
1991 – 2005 (14 years)
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
 

 

When did you EVER read that the United States is a democracy?  You will not find the word "democracy" even once in the Constitution!  It is not, it is a Constitutional Republic.  We only democratically elect our leaders.  

 
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what is for dinner.

 

 

According to  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dEMOCRACY?s=t, Democracy is what the USA have been preaching.

It is not perfect, and it is getting worse, but a Democracy it is.

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post
 

revolving door much? what's new?  I guess this explains Obama's last ITC veto.   Horay! American corporatism!

 

Assistant US Trade Representative

USTR
1991 – 2005 (14 years)

 

 

At least those are not warmorgers.

Strange for a so call socialist.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's top lobbyist nominated for US State Department position