or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta

Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta

post #1 of 84
A report out of the Far East on Tuesday claims Apple is teaming up with longtime partner manufacturer Quanta Computer to develop a 12-inch version of the iPad, reigniting speculation that the company is mulling a larger tablet model.

iPad

According to Chinese publication United Daily News (via Mac Otakara), Apple is actively working on a larger-screened iPad that will supposedly be constructed by Quanta.

The Taiwan-based manufacturer has produced Apple products for years, including notebooks, the video iPod in 2006 and, more recently, the latest MacBook Air models.

Tuesday's report claims Quanta is looking to diversify away from thin-and-light laptop production as that market is quickly being taken over by tablets like the iPad. Analysts expect the rise of the tablet to also negatively impact Apple's own MacBook sales, causing some to speculate that a wider range of iPad offerings is on the horizon.

Rumors of a bigger iPad form factor are nothing new. A report from The Wall Street Journal in July claimed Apple is exploring a possible 13-inch tablet to sate consumer demand for larger screens.

Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation iPad lineup later this fall, the highlight being a supposedly redesigned 9.7-inch model that borrows its styling from the current iPad mini. If the numerous parts "leaks" that have been circulating around the Web are in fact legitimate, the device will be slimmer with thinner side bezels and a more curvaceous chassis.

Also rumored for reveal is a Retina display-toting iPad mini, though hard evidence backing up such claims has yet to appear.
post #2 of 84

Add a pressure sensitive pen and I'll be all over it.

post #3 of 84
If there is a 12-13" iPad coming, it likely won't come until next year. And if it did, it better be more than just iOS7. A7 processor and MacOSX capability, perhaps?
post #4 of 84
Well if it's got room in it, add the phone components so one can make calls and have a true phablet and end the complaints for an iPhone with a larger than 4" screen.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #5 of 84
I think a larger iPad is a great idea for industry applications. Go for it!
post #6 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Well if it's got room in it, add the phone components so one can make calls and have a true phablet and end the complaints for an iPhone with a larger than 4" screen.

Awesome. That will send Samsung scrambling to release a 16" phone.
post #7 of 84

When do you think the iPad event will be?

October or November?

post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Awesome. That will send Samsung scrambling to release a 16" phone.

Well played.

post #9 of 84

I'm guessing no.

post #10 of 84
It is not true, it is totally overlapping Macbook Air..... unless... a touch screen MBA?
post #11 of 84
God I hope not...
post #12 of 84

The got it mixed up.  It's simply Samsung's next pocket phone.

post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If there is a 12-13" iPad coming, it likely won't come until next year. And if it did, it better be more than just iOS7. A7 processor and MacOSX capability, perhaps?

That's my take also. I doubt such a thing would be a typical ios device.

post #14 of 84
Yes, that is the way to go no doubt, the bigger the better!
post #15 of 84

What a difference a few inches makes.

post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

I could see a market for this. Is it possible that this larger iPad would be built (not specifically but primarily) for enterprise/retail, used for point-of-purchase and informational use like the current iPad is being used?

If Apple eventually work their way up to a 17" iPad and not bring back the 17"MBP, I'm going to be more than a tad miffed!

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #17 of 84

I WANT TO BELIEVE

post #18 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

That's what she said.

post #19 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Add a pressure sensitive pen and I'll be all over it.

Apple has several patents for it. In fact, they've been receiving quite a few of them as they refine their development.

post #20 of 84
Quote:

You would scale up the keyboard by adding the numeric pad.

post #21 of 84
Quote:

You really don't understand how much less powerful the A7 is to try and run OS X.

post #22 of 84
I think the large size would be incredible. The iPad is constantly being redefined as developers and users get a better understanding of its potential. As a musician, i love the tactile feel of the touchscreen. It's something i miss in music production software on a traditional desktop platform. A larger iPad would be fantastic for music production as well as many other applications. I would definitely buy one
post #23 of 84
That's what I'm waiting for to upgrade. I don't need it to run OS X I have a MBA and Mac Pro for that. I need an iPad with better readability.
post #24 of 84
I want this. I salivate over the thought of a 12" iPad. Woo hoo!
post #25 of 84
Oh no's that would mean another screen size to complicate the lives of developers. I mean that's the line yammered over and over when a larger iPhone is discussed.
post #26 of 84
Having an iPad and an 11" MBA, I really think that a hybrid is viable. It's not that I would carry it everywhere that I would an iPad. In fact, if I had a hybrid, I'd be much more likely to get an iPad Mini for toting around. But I really long to be able to use IOS apps on my MBA at times, and being able to switch back and forth and choose between touch screen (with the keyboard detached or turned all the way back to act as a stand?) and using keyboard/magicpad/cursor control of Mac OS X apps would be so lovely. It would eliminate the need for the 9.7" iPad.
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

When do you think the iPad event will be?

October or November?

I hope October - I'm ready to buy.  But I doubt we'll see a larger iPad anytime soon. 

post #28 of 84
An interesting idea.

I would hope the OS would be optimized for such a device because as if now iOS 7 waste too much space on bigger screens and the touch points in OSX would be too small for fingers on a 12 inch screen

Maybe a whole new interface will be used?
post #29 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

Agreed! It could be also used for small group presentations.

I could see using it for personal use. An iP5s and an iPad Mini for out-&-about and a 13" sitting on my coffee table for home use. Everything I do is more fun on the iPad.

I don't really want to sit at a desk and work on an iMac. And I really don't want to carry an MBA around either. Even though the iMac and MBA are exceptional machines.
post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

It is not true, it is totally overlapping Macbook Air..... unless... a touch screen MBA?
No way, plus you never know, they might just discontinue the MacBook airs 11 inch (make 13 have less bezel, drop $100 and add a 15 inch version of it) besides the screen there is a lot of room in hardware between a current iPad and a MacBook (obviously even in 11 in. MBA and 9.7 in. IPad) with this also being $700-900 in ints own category
Quote:

Ipad27Garageband.png

iPadPaint.png

iPadPages.png
yeah I just think they could add a lot more with the extra screen like a trackpad by keyboard (on OS-X) or combing the numerical there, great for people with bad iSight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You really don't understand how much less powerful the A7 is to try and run OS X.
Obviously it will probably have A8X or later, but let's not forget the design of the first iPhone was based off a less powerful chip running OS-X.

Quote:

Probably not this year, we likely won't see OS-X on it, probably never will on a less than $1000 mobile device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shojin Monkey View Post

Having an iPad and an 11" MBA, I really think that a hybrid is viable. It's not that I would carry it everywhere that I would an iPad. In fact, if I had a hybrid, I'd be much more likely to get an iPad Mini for toting around. But I really long to be able to use IOS apps on my MBA at times, and being able to switch back and forth and choose between touch screen (with the keyboard detached or turned all the way back to act as a stand?) and using keyboard/magicpad/cursor control of Mac OS X apps would be so lovely. It would eliminate the need for the 9.7" iPad.
I really doubt that, ever notice all the other hybrid laptop/tablets have failed?
post #31 of 84
I'd rather that Apple focused on making the 9.7" thinner and lighter.

A 12" sounds nutty. I am not buying it.
post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shojin Monkey View Post

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. And unlike pessimistic mdriftmeyer, I think that the A7 booting from an SSD with extra RAM would be quite snappy performance-wise for running most OS X-level apps. Anandtech's benchmarks back this up:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/6

iMacBook?

Make the case light but sturdy plastic like the old MacBooks and start the price around $700, I would very, very likely buy one.

post #33 of 84

TS will love this rumor!

post #34 of 84
You know, with that configuration, there would be even less reason to buy an MS surface.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

That's what she said.
Your name makes this an even better joke!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #36 of 84
Quote:

If such a tablet comes, it will be iOS. That's where the apps and the sales are. Also, OS X hasn't been designed (or re-designed) for touch.Until you see evidence that Apple is re-engineering OS X for touch (and that will be a truly massive project, the signs of which no one will be able to hide), then don't spend useless energy demanding the one thing that has a 0% chance of being true.

post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Even for an "unapologetically plastic" MacBook Air? I defer to your technical knowledge, but that interesting rumor about the 17 watt power adaptor got me thinking. Although a larger iPad is probably more likely, I think a line of cheaper, ARM-based MBAs might be a big hit. Apple surprised me* by pricing the iPhone (c) at $99-199, and showing that they haven't yet saturated the upper end of market the for iPhones. But I think the computer market may be different. An Intel-tax free MBA could allow for hefty margins as well as great sales.

*Along with a lot of analysts (although unlike them I don't presume to know more than Apple)

post #38 of 84

I think a 12" iPad would be great! I want portability, but I don't need the power of a notebook, but I want a larger size screen than current iPads. 

post #39 of 84

I 100% buy this rumor, sight unseen, first impression, whatever you want to call it.

The delicious future of ALL mobile computing. With a 12” and 15” iPad, laptops don’t need to exist.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #40 of 84

It is about darned time. I've been wanting this since the iPad first arrived. And perhaps with that kind of real estate they can make it thin as well.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta