or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4

Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4

post #1 of 225
Just days after Apple's new gold iPhone 5s went on sale, Samsung has announced the new Galaxy S4 "Gold Edition," though the back of the device retains the same plastic design as other models.

Samsung

The new devices will come with a gold plastic trim on the outside, while the front glass will be available in brown or pink. The handsets were announced on Wednesday by Samsung Gulf, the company's Middle Eastern outfit.

The advertisement from Samsung even refers to the "elegance" of the new color option. When details on Apple's gold iPhone 5s were leaked in August ? almost a month ahead of the device's announcement ? the color was also described as "elegant."

Samsung hasn't indicated whether the new gold Galaxy S4 models will be available anywhere outside of the Middle East.

Samsung

The company's new gold options are expected to be joined by HTC, which is planning a gold version of its flagship One smartphone, according to recently leaked parts.

Competitors such as Samsung and HTC have been accused of copying Apple in designing their products, and following the Cupertino company's lead for evolving trends in the technology industry. The new gold iPhone 5s proved to be a popular option when it went on sale last Friday, selling out almost immediately.

Both HTC and Samsung have accordingly been sued by Apple, accusing its rivals of stealing its ideas. HTC smartphones were first attacked by Apple in 2010, though those complaints were eventually settled. Apple's patent infringement pursuit against Samsung began in 2011 and remains ongoing, having expanded to new courtroom venues throughout the world.
post #2 of 225
Samsung: We did not copy Apple. We were working on a gold colored phone for a while now because our customers have asked for it.
post #3 of 225

Fandroids: Apple did not invent Gold!!

bb
bb
post #4 of 225
Was there ever any doubt that Samsung would be releasing a gold phone after the gold iPhone rumors started?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #5 of 225
Do Samsung customers feel ashamed of what their brand is doing?
post #6 of 225

What a classy product; a plastic gold themed phone. I think they took Apple's VP of Gold too seriously...

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highlight-gold-iphone

post #7 of 225
You have got to be friggin' kidding me!
post #8 of 225

Didn't think much bout Samsung's copying ever since the S3 but this announcement has just gotten me utterly disgusted at the company. Seriously.

post #9 of 225

What a surprise!

post #10 of 225
They copy it, but the copy is made out of plastic. That says it all.
post #11 of 225
Shameless
post #12 of 225
Do you think they are ever just embarrassed by this conduct?
post #13 of 225
Nothing says class and elegance like gold colored plastic.
post #14 of 225

Samsung innovation.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #15 of 225
wow
post #16 of 225
Plastic gold ? Crap
post #17 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwkismet View Post

Apparently not since they're doing it in such an obvious manner.

post #18 of 225
This company has no shame...it's one of the most, if not THE most shameful and evil company in the world. **** the scumbags! Not buying anything Samsung ever again. Oh and BTW i hope and pray Apple will switch to TSMC asap and get rid of the Samsung dependency as quickly as possible.
post #19 of 225
Bawhaaa, that is just sad. LOL
post #20 of 225

Quit whining. Apple didn't invent gold. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattering, so smile and move on. 

post #21 of 225

It's not copying, it's natural progression.

(Copying automatically is, like kleptomania, something the entity performing it can't control, so it is natural.)

post #22 of 225
Ok... Now I think they're doing it just to be funny. No one can be that idiotic... Well, maybe so.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #23 of 225
Have they no shame? No honor? No they're not blatantly copying everything apple does. They were going to do this before! So apple really copying them! They even had film crews out interviewing people in line for iPhones to see why. Saying why does just apple have these lines.

If you have to ask then you'll never get it.

Dyson vacuums is suing them for cloning their designs and implementation also.
post #24 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Fandroids: Apple did not invent Gold!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Quit whining. Apple didn't invent gold.

Nailed it

post #25 of 225

Am I supposed to be surprised by this announcement?

We all know Sumpscum will copy anything from Apple.

27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
post #26 of 225
What I'm waiting for is the announcement of the company's new "Samsung Security Scan" fingerprint sensor ... Any day now (as soon as they can get their graphic designers to whip up some concept art)
post #27 of 225
Next up SouchID. Lol.
post #28 of 225
Ok. Now this is just sad and shameless.
post #29 of 225

The funny part is that there is no way a gold ascent slapped on plastic crap will have any sway.

East culture is fond of metals, not simply colour. If they had made a metal shell that would be different,

but of course that is harder to make.

Not only no shame, but they are idiots too.

post #30 of 225

I seem to recall that when rumors of a gold-colored iPhone swirled, the fan-droids were saying how it wouldn't sell in the US, but might be popular in China and India. So it's strange that Sammy would limit their gold-colored-plastic product to Middle East.

post #31 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Samsung innovation.

Best post! :)

post #32 of 225

Well at least they had the balls to pair gold with pink and brown glass! *barf*

post #33 of 225

Why did Apple not patented their invention of a gold colored phone. Now all the Android and Windows phone manufacturers will copy Apple's invention. Apple should sue any manufacturer that makes gold colored phones.  

post #34 of 225
More and more, I walk through class and notice everyone's MacBooks, and think, "There's another MacBook." But for several I do a double-take and realize, "No ... no, that's not a MacBook - it's silver plastic with a black keyboard." Half the PC laptops in my classes (there aren't a ton of these) are MacBook look-alikes. Everyone wishes they had Apple's style. Copied, but never duplicated.
post #35 of 225

Ok maybe not the place to say this...but I see a gold iPad Mini in Apple's future and what about a gold 11' MBA. You heard it hear first.

I've been saying from the release of the iPhones the gold is very understated and elegant. I think Apple has knocked it out of the park with the 5s, gold, speed/chip, security, camera, iOS7 and of course build quality.

I will never buy a Samsung product. I find their business approach unethical and sleazy.

post #36 of 225
Those designs remind me of someone who's had a vulgar spray tan and walks around with a disgusting orange glow to them. The entirely gold phone looks shocking and should have been designed with a white facia, and WTF is that barbie inspired thing, did said Matel doll spew on their phone or something?
post #37 of 225
Samsung think that they have seen a gap in the market for trashy and crass looking phones and have decided to fill it by providing a 'proper' gold plastic finish rather than some sophisticated approximation to a gold anodised aluminium.

Unfortunately that particular market only wants to pay $49 for a phone.
post #38 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Quit whining. Apple didn't invent gold. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattering, so smile and move on. 

But the timing on Samsung's and HTC's part is interesting...

post #39 of 225
To be fair to Samsung the brown glass model does at least show some diversification - they are now not only copying the iPhone but the Zune too 1smoking.gif
post #40 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwkismet View Post

Samsung is never embarrassed by anything they do. They believe that their customers are too stupid and/or unethical to care.

For the Samsung shills here, no, Apple didn't invent gold. They're not even the first to offer a gold cell phone. But when Samsung announces a gold phone (which is nothing more than a cheap plastic color change) the day after Apple announces massive sales of their new gold phone, it's pretty suspicious. Especially when it follows a history of Samsung copying everything Apple does - down to the product design, press releases, and advertising. Heck, a tablet that even their own attorneys can't tell apart from an iPad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Ok maybe not the place to say this...but I see a gold iPad Mini in Apple's future and what about a gold 11' MBA. You heard it hear first.

I've been saying from the release of the iPhones the gold is very understated and elegant. I think Apple has knocked it out of the park with the 5s, gold, speed/chip, security, camera, iOS7 and of course build quality.

I will never buy a Samsung product. I find their business approach unethical and sleazy.

You may be right about other gold products. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The MBA, in particular, is in a tough position. How do you make it better? It's already extremely thin and light. It's more powerful than most users need. While performance is limited by availability of components, even if Intel came out with a new CPU that was 10 times as powerful and used no more energy, most MBA users would never notice the difference. The same is true of essentially all PCs - even a cheap PC is good enough for most users for the foreseeable future. Upgrade pressure is therefore greatly reduced.

Now, a different color doesn't address that issue directly, but it would at least differentiate the latest versions.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4