or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4

Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4 - Page 2

post #41 of 225
Samsung Galaxy S4 - S is for Shamleless
post #42 of 225

Gold color on plastic is horrible imo. If you are going to do a "gold" edition, make it on a metal case.

post #43 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Quit whining. Apple didn't invent gold. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattering, so smile and move on. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Fandroids: Apple did not invent Gold!!

Yeah, but who had really brought a gold phone to the market like this before Apple? Apple didn't invent color either, but the Macs with it were hugely revolutionary.

post #44 of 225
It's okay! The more they copy the more they put themselves in a bad light and the more coverage and comparisons the copying gets. The news trickles down hill and will take a while to fully enter the psyche of the consumer base. Like Microsuck in the last decade Samsung will be the laughing stock of the industry for their "Me Too" attitude. There 15 min. of fame is about up.
post #45 of 225

Monkey see, monkey do.

In true Samsung fashion, its not even a genuine effort. The colored plastic will just scuff (much more easily than the iPhone's metal) leaving the user with the bleak reality of their plastic knock-off.

I prefer calling the iPhone's gold-color option champagne, rather than gold. But that's just me.

post #46 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Fandroids: Apple did not invent Gold!!

Fandroids: How can Samsung copy Apple if the gold iPhone has only been on the market for a few days? We know Google has already ported Android over to gold because it is based on Linux and Linux was already gold for many years.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 225
Now let's see if it sells out as fast as the 5s
post #48 of 225

Once again Apple *implements* "gold" correctly. 

Also-rans answer with a gold plated something-or-other. 

Pure gold. 

post #49 of 225

Samsung is now the official innovator of copying.

post #50 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post

Do Samsung customers feel ashamed of what their brand is doing?

Of course not. The Samsung customers that enjoy the ads mocking Apple's success are the same people we all know that rally against anything that is popular, regardless of why it's popular. These are the people that Samsung is trying to appeal to with most of their ads. These are the people that want what Apple offers in every way but at the same time want to feel they are somehow better because they aren't doing what is most popular.

This is a highly successful strategy for Samsung. Copy Apple — at least this time they aren't stealing something Apple owns — whilst mocking Apple. The problem that could arise is that Samsung is so successful within the Android-based community that they might lose these a portion of these anti-Apple customers if they also start to see Samsung as being dominate. They are clearly number two overall, and a distance second in mindshare behind Apple, but if HTC, LG or MS Nokia figures out Samsung's strategy and uses it against them it could hurt them. Of course, Samsung doesn't care because they know it's better to be at the top.
post #51 of 225
Shameless!!! Although Samsung is free to use gold, it was not announced until after the launch of the gold iPhone 5s. If they were working on a Gold Edition phone for some time now, it seems to me they could have been released a Gold Edition; it's not like gold is a critical component of the phone, it's just a color!!! And on top of that, it will be plastic. How long will it take for that to fade and wear off the plastic? But good luck to Samsung. It's not like selling a gold edition will bump up sales of the phone. Gold wasn't the only change that made the iPhone 5s sell. So Samsung will just be adding a gold color to the existing phones that is already in the market. Nothing new to the phone except a gold color on plastic no less. Almost laughable!
post #52 of 225

Shouldn't the ad's tagline read:

Elegance is a touch of gold-colored plastic

???

post #53 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Once again Apple *implements* "gold" correctly.

That's my problem with this. It's not that they said, "Hey, gold is popular, let's do that." it's that they are doing a bad version of it after being shown the way. On top of that this promotional image fails by showing a gold background for the gold S4. Why obfuscate the device by camouflaging it with a gold background?
post #54 of 225

Scumbags.

post #55 of 225

Think Stereos, they have been gold, silver, black, white.  The difference here is that Apple is consistently the clear trend setter.  Everyone tries to ride the coat tails of the leader and it is fun to watch them all get jerked around!

post #56 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Samsung is never embarrassed by anything they do. They believe that their customers are too stupid and/or unethical to care.

For the Samsung shills here, no, Apple didn't invent gold. They're not even the first to offer a gold cell phone. But when Samsung announces a gold phone (which is nothing more than a cheap plastic color change) the day after Apple announces massive sales of their new gold phone, it's pretty suspicious

To be a tiny bit more fair Samsung did release a "gold" (really more bronze) flip-style smartphone back in August, and at the same time apparently said another clamshell in gold would be coming for the Mideast market. For some reason they think a clamshell form-factor is desirable there? But even those particular phones weren't mentioned before the rumors of a gold iPhone were already pretty widespread, tho Sammy has offered "gold" phones in the past..

Yeah, they're absolutely fine copyists. A leopard doesn't change it's spots.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #57 of 225

They interviewed the people waiting for the iPhone 5S. Probably asked the question "which one will you buy" and many replied "gold".

Booooom

Gold Samsung Galaxy.

Goes to show how much they "got" Apple... zero.

Edit:

the reason why "champagne" is so popular:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9JR68100.htm

Nothing to do with the color

Edited by pinolo - 9/25/13 at 7:27am
post #58 of 225

(in the voice of Dr. Evil)  Gold with brown, like a corny turd.  Riiiight.

post #59 of 225

It's not the copying that is shameless, companies would be foolish to disregard design trends, but it's the crassness of the design which is the inevitable result of the haphazard, last-minute, me-too manner in which it was executed.  Come on, plastic gold?  And paired with pink?

Samsung has no notion at all of building and defending a reputable brand.  They're a world-class company in size and breadth but Alibaba-class in mentality.  (As in the Alibaba.com, home of the dodgiest vendors in the world.)

post #60 of 225
I read about this in Cult of Android via the Zite iPhone app. I had a great laugh due to CoA calling Samsung shameless. When I emailed the article link to an Android friend, he responded that his daughter had gold-colored Motorola and LG phones. To short circuit his Android defenses quickly, I clued him in that the article was from the Android camp. He then responded that the gold color was shifty on Sammy's part.
post #61 of 225

Unapologetically Samsung.

post #62 of 225

As much as I like my iPhone 5s, I'm not really sure why you're so upset when Samsung has already  been using this gold trim look for about 6 months now.

I mean, It's just a color that happens to be  popular in some markets.

post #63 of 225
Seriously, gold color doesn't go well with the material plastic....

Metallic gold is elegant. Plastic gold is childish.

I don't fault competitors for copying, but they should have copied sensibly.
post #64 of 225
Hey Samsung it wasn't the color alone that excelled the record breaking Apple iPhone sales over the weekend. It was the fact that it was a 'gold' iPhone that did! If YOU cover crap with gold, it may be a nice color, but it's still covering crap.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #65 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Of course not. The Samsung customers that enjoy the ads mocking Apple's success are the same people we all know that rally against anything that is popular, regardless of why it's popular. These are the people that Samsung is trying to appeal to with most of their ads.

Samsung needs a "spokesperson" and "creative director" for their brand. (Remember Alicia Keys and Blackberry?) :???:

Kim Kardashian would be perfect for Samsung.

Cheap. Fake. Classless. Now that's a person that represents Samsung's target market quite well.

post #66 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by reydn View Post

What I'm waiting for is the announcement of the company's new "Samsung Security Scan" fingerprint sensor ... Any day now (as soon as they can get their graphic designers to whip up some concept art)

No, no, you mean "S-TouchId" or "S-Scan" "S-Print". Get it right.

post #67 of 225

So innovative....

post #68 of 225
Holy cow, what a thing to do ... wow ... no dignity, money grabbing dicks. I would be laughing if I were not so sad for Samsung. Still not going to be people lining up the way Apple do ... with brown and pink faceplates too. Hope this is not just for the middle east market, because I like this sad feeling, and that will make it sadder! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
post #69 of 225

How many Samsung plastic gold phones do you think will sell on Ebay for $10,000? :lol::lol:

post #70 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Nailed it

Ha nice try. Never owned an Android piece of crap in my life. Just got the 5S, my 4th iPhone, and have 2 iPads. I'm just not blind. 

post #71 of 225

Now that I had a chance to think about this some more, Samsung could have made their phone in the similar color, but called it something other than gold. That way, all of Samsung's critics wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Apple lawyer: I can't believe you guys copied us... again.

Samsung lawyer: Nice try. This is NOT gold, it's completely different. It isn't even "gold!"

Apple lawyer: What's it called?

Samsung lawyer: It's called "piss" -- can't you see the distinction? Who says we can't innovate?

post #72 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTown View Post

I prefer calling the iPhone's gold-color option champagne, rather than gold. But that's just me.

I call it champagne too, because I had a car in the same understated matt "gold" and the manufacturer's name for that colour choice was champagne. Gold is reflective and much darker & shinier than the "gold" iPhone.

post #73 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Barry View Post

As much as I like my iPhone 5s, I'm not really sure why you're so upset when Samsung has already  been using this gold trim look for about 6 months now.

I mean, It's just a color that happens to be  popular in some markets.

Yeah, but its the timing ... Actually that bronzy color isn't bad looking, the new ones looks glossy gold though, none of that matte surface treatment.

post #74 of 225
Samsung should be ashamed. They blatantly copy Apple.

Except now that the gold is plastic. Cheap plastic.

Gnusmas for shame.
post #75 of 225
That's great, Samsung. What will you think of blatantly copying from Apple next? Notice how little of the gold you get to see in the photo, just a smidge on the side of the device. Must be "fool's gold".

Samsung's R&D costs should be pretty low, given how "original" their products truly are.
post #76 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

Seriously, gold color doesn't go well with the material plastic....

Metallic gold is elegant. Plastic gold is childish.

I don't fault competitors for copying, but they should have copied sensibly.
Fools' gold?
post #77 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwkismet View Post

Do you think they are ever just embarrassed by this conduct?

No.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #78 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post

I call it champagne too, because I had a car in the same understated matt "gold" and the manufacturer's name for that colour choice was champagne. Gold is reflective and much darker & shinier than the "gold" iPhone.

I had read that some wine entity in France might sue Apple for using "champagne" as the color name, because it's a trademarked term for sparkling wine produced in their Champagne region. So to avoid yet another silly lawsuit, Apple went with "gold".
post #79 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Randy View Post

So innovative....

S-Gold.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #80 of 225
Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Just days after Apple's new gold iPhone 5s went on sale, Samsung has announced the new Galaxy S4 "Gold Edition," though the back of the device retains the same plastic design as other models.

Samsung

The new devices will come with a gold plastic trim on the outside, while the front glass will be available in brown or pink. The handsets were announced on Wednesday by Samsung Gulf, the company's Middle Eastern outfit.

The advertisement from Samsung even refers to the "elegance" of the new color option. When details on Apple's gold iPhone 5s were leaked in August ? almost a month ahead of the device's announcement ? the color was also described as "elegant."

Samsung hasn't indicated whether the new gold Galaxy S4 models will be available anywhere outside of the Middle East.

Samsung

The company's new gold options are expected to be joined by HTC, which is planning a gold version of its flagship One smartphone, according to recently leaked parts.

Competitors such as Samsung and HTC have been accused of copying Apple in designing their products, and following the Cupertino company's lead for evolving trends in the technology industry. The new gold iPhone 5s proved to be a popular option when it went on sale last Friday, selling out almost immediately.

Both HTC and Samsung have accordingly been sued by Apple, accusing its rivals of stealing its ideas. HTC smartphones were first attacked by Apple in 2010, though those complaints were eventually settled. Apple's patent infringement pursuit against Samsung began in 2011 and remains ongoing, having expanded to new courtroom venues throughout the world.
inve
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4