or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 feature focus: Expanded Bluetooth adds support for companion devices, introduces iBeacons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 7 feature focus: Expanded Bluetooth adds support for companion devices, introduces iBeacons

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
iOS 7 ticks all the boxes for a major consumer-focused operating system refresh: an overhauled user interface, updates to killer apps like the camera with its new burst capture mode, the addition of iTunes Radio, and many more. However, changes that users cannot see ? those aimed at enabling developers to build whole new classes of applications with Bluetooth connectivity ? may be even more exciting.

Bluetooth


Not unlike the public's seemingly insatiable desire for a Apple-branded streaming music service, users have long lobbied for Cupertino to rescue them from the daily ordeal of "buying stuff" by incorporating an iTunes-backed, NFC-enabled payment system into the iPhone. Likewise, accessory manufacturers and early adopters have clamored for enhanced interoperability between Apple's handsets and companion devices like smart watches. With upgraded Bluetooth low energy support and the new iBeacons functionality in iOS 7, Apple may be well on the way to heeding both pleas ? with NFC nowhere in sight.

Bluetooth


Power-sipping standards

Bluetooth low energy (BLE), also known as by its marketing name Bluetooth Smart Ready, is an adaptation of the decade-old Bluetooth standard that is designed for applications where power is at a premium. Despite using as little as ten percent of the power of "normal" Bluetooth, BLE still allows devices to communicate over relatively large distances ? up to 160 feet in ideal conditions ? and enables over-the-air data transfer at up to 1 megabit per second.

BLE is not only a software function ? it must also be enabled in a device's Bluetooth controller chip. Apple has included hardware support for BLE in the iPhone 4S, 5, 5c, and 5s as well as the iPad 3, 4, and iPad mini, meaning that BLE-enabled products can take advantage of an installed base of hundreds of millions of iOS devices at launch.

In contrast, NFC (near-field communication) works only over very short distances ? devices must generally be within six inches of each other ? and its data transfer speed is typically less than half that of BLE. These issues aside, NFC is not without its advantages.

The "handshake" between two NFC-enabled devices is extremely fast and does not require a user to pair the devices beforehand, a process familiar to those who have used a Bluetooth-enabled keyboard or mouse and one that can be time-consuming and frustrating. Additionally, NFC can function even if only one of the devices is powered ? the powered device's radio waves are used to "illuminate" the unpowered device. The latter feature is commonly seen in NFC-enabled transit passes; the pass itself is a small plastic card containing a passive NFC receiver which is activated by the turnstile's reader.

Apple appears to have settled comfortably in the Bluetooth camp, and with iOS 7 has expanded the ways in which developers can leverage BLE's capabilities.

Bluetooth


Picking up where you left off

Bluetooth accessories generally fall within one of two broad categories: those used primarily to consume or gather data ? such as smart watches or "quantified self" devices like Jawbone's Up wristband ? and those that users use to interact with the device, known as human interface devices. iOS 7 brings new features to the table for both categories.

Apple Notification Center Service, or ANCS, is a new API available to developers that allows Bluetooth accessories to subscribe to notification updates from an iOS device. Similar functionality has long been possible under previous iOS versions, but developers were required to create a custom iOS application for their device and access to system events was limited ? often only to events like phone calls and text messages.

With ANCS, developers have access to any system or app notification that would normally appear in Notification Center. For example, a smart watch paired with a user's iOS device would be able to receive push alerts from a stock market app, unobtrusively notifying the user of a rise or fall in stock price, without companion apps or extensive customizations to the device's software.

Another important new feature for passive accessories is the addition of state preservation and restoration. Put simply, apps that take advantage of state preservation and restoration will be able to maintain their connection to the user's device and transfer data in the background, even if the app is not running. This feature could have a significant impact on the development of passive monitoring devices like heart or fitness monitors, which can upload data at regular intervals without requiring the user to unlock their iPhone or interact with an app.

Human interface devices ? like keyboards and game controllers ? can also take advantage of newly-added BLE support under iOS 7, allowing manufacturers to design smaller and longer-lasting accessories. Rather than a few days, a Bluetooth low energy-enabled keyboard may last several weeks on a single charge.

iBeacons

Perhaps the most talked about new Bluetooth-related feature is iBeacons. An iBeacon is any BLE-enabled device that transmits a specific data payload ??even a recent Mac or another iOS device can be turned into a beacon. iBeacons are ideal for enabling a new generation of micro-location based services that depend upon pinpointing a user's location at a more precise level than can be achieved using GPS, because an iOS device can determine exactly how far away it is from a specific iBeacon, and can tell multiple iBeacons apart based on their unique identifiers.

One potential application of iBeacons is indoor navigation. Department stores might place several iBeacons, which could cost less than $50 each and run for years on a single coin-cell battery, in strategic locations around the store. An iOS application could then determine the user's position relative to those iBeacons and help them locate specific items on a shelf or provide context-sensitive information like product reviews and advertisements.

Another exciting concept might combine iBeacons with the iPhone 5s's new Touch ID fingerprint scanner to enable a contactless mobile payment system. An iBeacon placed at a store's checkout counter and integrated with the retailer's point of sale system would be able to sense the customer's iOS device and, after the cashier scans the items, ask the customer to authorize payment with their fingerprint.
post #2 of 36

This is so cool. The potential for *industrial* or non-consumer applications is even greater, far far greater. Hope this catches on.

post #3 of 36

Why ? are ? these ? articles ? constantly ? riddled ? with ? question ? marks? I'm ? sure ? there ? is ? a ? technical ? explaination, ? but ? doesn't ? anyone ? proofread ? anymore?

post #4 of 36
Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post
Why ? are ? these ? articles ? constantly ? riddled ? with ? question ? marks? I'm ? sure ? there ? is ? a ? technical ? explaination, ? but ? doesn't ? anyone ? proofread ? anymore?

 

Huddler translates quotation marks (and em dashes) to a question mark between the site proper and the forums. It’s an error of encoding that they’ve chosen to ignore.

post #5 of 36

There's a bit of miscommunication regarding Bluetooth pairing. 

 

While non BLE Bluetooth devices can take seconds to pair BLE is designed to 

pair in 6ms.  Orders of magnitude faster making the connection "feel" like it's always live. 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy#Radio_interface

 

I hope iBeacons handles more than just navigation.  While indoor Nav is a nice features a more powerful 

feature would be the ability to have iBeacons trigger actions based on location.  Thus if I walk into my garage 

I could have lights or the garage door opener trigger.  

 

Apple's acquisition of WifiSlam and Passif are going to pay dividends in the iOS ecosystem.   I really don't think the "Internet of Things" can be accomplished by startups.   It's going to take large companies with the software engineering and hardware engineering and end user support to create this platform. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #6 of 36

Can I add iBeacons to my car keys? ;) 

post #7 of 36
And this called "Innovations" that stupid WS will never see!
post #8 of 36

I find that the new iPhone 5s enables stable connection over further distance than iPhone 5.  I'm using LG HBS-730 with it and it sure does travel farther away from my iPhone 5s than it did with iPhone 5.

 

However, I am disappointed that Apt-X didn't make it to the new phone.  :(

post #9 of 36
iBeacons is the future.

I expect iBeacons to take center stage at the next WWDC as Apple unveils an entirely new retail paradigm.

Not only will iBeacons be used for payments but they will also be used for information about products and services at a retail or hospitality establishment.

Some of the tools unveiled at the last WWDC will find there way into the real world in applications we haven't yet imagined yet.

Expect major partnerships announced this upcoming year (Target/Starbucks/Best Buy) and iBeacons plus an iWallet (PassBook 2.0?) to be center stage with iOS 8.
post #10 of 36
Do I see Barcode scanning up there? Is it now built in to the camera app? would be nice to not have additional apps.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Can I add iBeacons to my car keys? 1wink.gif 

ibeacon will be great for automatically opening the garage door when you pull up, without having to whip out your phone or other device.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I hope iBeacons handles more than just navigation.  While indoor Nav is a nice features a more powerful 
feature would be the ability to have iBeacons trigger actions based on location.  Thus if I walk into my garage 
I could have lights or the garage door opener trigger. 

But what if the doors don't open? We'll have a Gate-gate on our hands ¡

Sorry, lame post. You make a good point; carry on.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


ibeacon will be great for automatically opening the garage door when you pull up, without having to whip out your phone or other device.

 

Or, having Siri ask if you would like her (him) to open the garage door.  Heheh

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCook13 View Post

Do I see Barcode scanning up there? Is it now built in to the camera app? would be nice to not have additional apps.

 

There actually is a bar-code scanner built into iOS 7 in the Passbooks app now.

post #15 of 36
I have written a first article last week on iBeacons. Great to see it gains a wider audience with Appleinsider. Have written a second post on it earlier today and also share the code of our first apps:

http://juergenalker.com/post/62234109617/ios7-the-hidden-revolution-part-2
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Huddler translates quotation marks (and em dashes) to a question mark between the site proper and the forums. It’s an error of encoding that they’ve chosen to ignore.

 

yes chosen forever - really a site like AppleInsider that SUCKS on Safari, and iPhone or an Ipad - the ???????? are really annoying - WHY CAN?T THEY BE FU???NG fixed???

post #17 of 36
You do realize that because iBeacons accurately tracks iDevice users indoors that retailers will . . . tada. . . use it for targeting ads within retail locations. IMO this will serve advertisers more than any other purpose in the near term at least..

http://blogs.imediaconnection.com/blog/2013/09/25/ibeacons-device-targeting-and-big-data-will-play-important-roles-in-hyperlocal-targeting/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You do realize that because iBeacons accurately tracks iDevice users indoors that retailers will . . . tada. . . use it for targeting ads within retail locations. IMO this will serve advertisers more than any other purpose in the near term at least..

http://blogs.imediaconnection.com/blog/2013/09/25/ibeacons-device-targeting-and-big-data-will-play-important-roles-in-hyperlocal-targeting/

 

Perhaps this will be bigger for advertising than for other applications in terms of revenue. But there's simply no way this is bigger in terms of utility than what can be done outside of advertising.


Edited by StruckPaper - 9/25/13 at 6:57pm
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You do realize that because iBeacons accurately tracks iDevice users indoors that retailers will . . . tada. . . use it for targeting ads within retail locations. IMO this will serve advertisers more than any other purpose in the near term at least..

http://blogs.imediaconnection.com/blog/2013/09/25/ibeacons-device-targeting-and-big-data-will-play-important-roles-in-hyperlocal-targeting/

 

Targeted ads at a place like Walmart/Target etc, may not be terrible. If I'm looking for laundry detergent and a TIDE ad comes up detailing which laundry detergent is best for specific situations, then that's a helpful ad.

 

If I'm at a clothing retailer like Banana Republic, then maybe ads would revolve around what sweaters are in style this season or maybe what promotions are going on in the store.

 

Ads aren't always bad. Yes they can be annoying but I think in store ads based on where you are in a store or what store you are in could be helpful.

 

Also Apple already allows users to turn these ads off.

post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

iBeacons is the future.

I expect iBeacons to take center stage at the next WWDC as Apple unveils an entirely new retail paradigm.

Expect major partnerships announced this upcoming year (Target/Starbucks/Best Buy) and iBeacons plus an iWallet (PassBook 2.0?) to be center stage with iOS 8.

Here's a link to one of the first ad targeting companies to partner-up with Apple's iBeacons. With each iDevice user specifically identifiable, iBeacons is being touted as the ideal way to improve retailers knowledge of it's shoppers and their habits as well as better track the effectiveness of the ads on an individual basis. The link explains how it will work.
https://adomaly.com/
Edited by Gatorguy - 9/25/13 at 5:06pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post

I have written a first article last week on iBeacons. Great to see it gains a wider audience with Appleinsider. Have written a second post on it earlier today and also share the code of our first apps:

http://juergenalker.com/post/62234109617/ios7-the-hidden-revolution-part-2

 

Can't wait until you receive some hardware to further your testing.   iBeacon sounds like it could be a winner especially if there are solid commercial and residential usage scenarios. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 36
$50 Per devices is quite expensive. That is excluding all the overhead running cost and management etc.

I was expecting to be below $30.
post #23 of 36
The problem with all of this is I usually have Bluetooth off -- overall, I have never found anything with Bluetooth to be all that useful from its inception. I would rather everything was all WiFi -- unrealistic for various use cases, however%u2026

Maybe this would give a reason to turn BT on. I have privacy concerns w/BT from devices spoofing car type interfaces that can read your Address Book contacts, for instance. It is well known that law enforcement uses these tools, and a malicious hacker could easily do the same. Food for thought!
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Maybe this would give a reason to turn BT on. I have privacy concerns w/BT from devices spoofing car type interfaces that can read your Address Book contacts, for instance. It is well known that law enforcement uses these tools, and a malicious hacker could easily do the same. Food for thought!

I agree; the options aren't wanted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_marketing#Bluetooth-based_systems
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


Ads aren't always bad. Yes they can be annoying but I think in store ads based on where you are in a store or what store you are in could be helpful.

Also Apple already allows users to turn these ads off.

Is there a way to turn iBeacons off short of disabling bluetooth altogehter? Honest question. If not you'd still be transmitting where you walked, where you stopped, how long you were there, the time of day you visited, etc. You just wouldn't receive ads or offers.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Is there a way to turn iBeacons off short of disabling bluetooth altogehter? Honest question. If not you'd still be transmitting where you walked, where you stopped, how long you were there, the time of day you visited, etc. You just wouldn't receive ads or offers.
So there is not a way to disable iBeacons without turning off bluetooth then?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Is there a way to turn iBeacons off short of disabling bluetooth altogehter? Honest question. If not you'd still be transmitting where you walked, where you stopped, how long you were there, the time of day you visited, etc. You just wouldn't receive ads or offers.
So there is not a way to disable iBeacons without turning off bluetooth then?

Why are you asking Gatorguy? He clearly doesn't know as he just asked the same question and usually just wants to find faults with Apple and promote Google.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Why are you asking Gatorguy? He clearly doesn't know as he just asked the same question and usually just wants to find faults with Apple and promote Google.

Marvin, it was an open question to anyone. You're welcome to supply the answer as you seem to imply you might know. I'm truly curious and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one unclear about just what Apple has enabled.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Why are you asking Gatorguy? He clearly doesn't know as he just asked the same question and usually just wants to find faults with Apple and promote Google.

Hahaha! I was worried he'd went schizo...or found his better half
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hahaha! I was worried he'd went schizo...or found his better half

I don't think Marvin noticed I was bumping my own question and assumed it was another poster asking the same.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm truly curious and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one unclear about just what Apple has enabled.

Don't you have an Android phone? If so, what Apple has done shouldn't affect your usage in any way besides making the little robot greener. Or are you thinking of buying an Apple product but your main concern moving from Android is privacy? That would be funny.

The problem seems to be that it's not NFC that Android fans have longed for Apple to 'catchup' on:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/08/29/why-micro-location-ibeacons-may-be-apples-biggest-new-feature-for-ios-7/

Instead, Apple decided to ignore NFC and use something better:

"BLE allows for interactions as far away as 160 feet, but doesn’t require the surface contact of Google‘s preferred NFC standard. Google’s Wallet and Android Beam implementations require contact proximity to work and so far have not taken off. Apple‘s Craig Federighi introduced WiFi-based wireless AirDrop sharing in iOS 7 at WWDC, and teased the Android Beamers that AirDrop would not require you “to wander around the room bumping your phone with one another.” In a similar vein, iBeacons enable much more seamless, casual transactions based on close—but not intimate—ranges."

Payments without even queuing. There may be privacy concerns about advertisers using tracking but since Google fans have brushed off similar concerns before, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's a location service so disabling location services should allow using Bluetooth without tracking. Ah but 'does it?' I hear you feverishly ask as you anticipate the slightest problem with an Apple feature so you can relish in it. Well, we'll see in due time, it seems some details are not public yet:

http://redbearlab.com/ibeacon/

"Under NDA agreement with Apple, we cannot and will not answer any of your questions related to iBeacons on our website/blog/forum/support until Apple has made the iBeacons details public."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy 
I don't think Marvin noticed I was bumping my own question and assumed it was another poster asking the same.

Yeah I thought it was Googleguy.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Don't you have an Android phone? If so, what Apple has done shouldn't affect your usage in any way besides making the little robot greener. Or are you thinking of buying an Apple product but your main concern moving from Android is privacy? That would be funny..

iBeacons track Android users too. 1wink.gif
I figure you probably note all my posts and already knew we're planning to buy a 5c.

Personally I'm not one of those overly concerned with privacy. Nothing can be done about what's already lost. I don't think you, me or most anyone else saw it coming early on and privacy ain't coming back now. We were offered carrots and we all ate them. Google made an entire business out of carrot-dangling. The difference with this particular feature is there hasn't been an easy way for your personally identifiable travels and product interests to be micro-tracked up until now. GPS is only so reliable as is wifi triangulation. Web searches don't really reveal specific detailed interests on a highly identifiable level. Apple's iBeacons endeavor may quickly change that.

Looks to me like Apple is only supplying the guns for now. Using those guns is in the hands of developers, retailers, advertisers and business owners. There's a lot of excitement about the possibilities this opens up in the retail community and for good reasons. It may completely change the way they promote their products and it may not be very expensive to find out how effective it is. So IMHO it's Apple offering the carrot this time.

Give companies an exceptionally valuable product. Don't limit how they can use it. Let' em do all the tracking and harvesting of shoppers and visitors they want. Make sure every new iDevice uses it. Once iBeacons become widespread and the value is clear beyond doubt that's when Apple drops the hammer: Enabling payments with iDevices, taking advantage of the millions of credit cards Apple users already have on file. . . for a percentage of the sale the vendor makes of course. That's big money and where I think it's headed, Apple replacing the current CC processors for some big retailers and perhaps rolling in some ad placement money if it can be done without alienating their user-base. The question is are we gonna eat the carrots again, giving up more finely detailed information on who we are and what we do in return for "other valuable considerations"? I'm betting we will.
Edited by Gatorguy - 9/27/13 at 10:13am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy 
iBeacons track Android users too.

It probably doesn't want to though, they just happen to be in the way. That's quite helpful as it can warn about unsavoury people nearby using the non-Apple devices here:

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices-List.aspx

"Caution: Android user to the East and closing!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I figure you probably note all my posts and already knew we're planning to buy a 5c.

When you say 'we', do you mean you and your alter ego or a significant other who you've tried but failed to persuade to get something else? It's the lag isn't it? Some people can put up with the UI lag for a while but sooner or later they just snap. Get your kid an iPad mini while you're in the store too so he has a better gaming experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The difference with this particular feature is there hasn't been an easy way for your personally identifiable travels and product interests to be micro-tracked up until now. GPS is only so reliable as is wifi triangulation.

GPS is more accurate than triangulation or you wouldn't get turn by turn directions:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/26/tech/mobile/mobile-gps-privacy-study/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Web searches don't really reveal specific detailed interests on a highly identifiable level. Apple's iBeacons endeavor may quickly change that. Looks to me like Apple is only supplying the guns for now. Using those guns is in the hands of developers, retailers, advertisers and business owners. There's a lot of excitement about the possibilities this opens up in the retail community and for good reasons. It may completely change the way retailers promote their products and it may not be very expensive to find out. So IMHO it's Apple offering the carrot this time.

Give companies an exceptionally valuable product. Don't limit how they can use it. Let' em do all the tracking and harvesting of shoppers and visitors they want. Once iBeacons become widespread and the value is clear beyond doubt that's when Apple drops the hammer: Enabling payments with iDevices, taking advantage of the millions of credit cards Apple users already have on file. . . for a percentage of the payment the vendor gets of course. That's big money and where I think it's headed, Apple replacing the current CC processors for some big retailers and perhaps rolling in some ad placement money if it can be done without alienating their user-base. The question is are we gonna eat the carrots again, giving up more finely detailed information on who we are and what we do in return for "other valuable considerations"? I'm betting we will.

It'll use a unique identifier for each device so I could see certain implementations being abused. If one app is left open and it is set to track beacons, it could use that info to profile people but like I say, apps can do that with GPS. Any mapping app can track data to at least the size of a building. For people who are in a store with BLE, their UUID can be tracked but it would only be worthwhile for data in the store and they probably have you on CCTV anyway.

We do give up far too much info casually as the social networks show but it's up to how they implement it whether it will do more harm than good. People are willing to volunteer info if it comes with benefits. If you get store discounts or more info you are interested in then it's a plus. If you get bombarded with ad notifications walking down the street, it's not. You might be about to walk out a store and they start pleading with you as you go "5% off, 10%, ok 15%, please don't go". That would be annoying.

The biggest concern non-Apple customers will have is that they won't be able to use the term iBeacons and it will become like every Apple-branded thing before it. There will have to be knock-offs like sBeacons. Maybe one day Apple will release iHits, iLut, iNatch, iPic and then Samsung will run into trouble.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

When you say 'we', do you mean you and your alter ego or a significant other who you've tried but failed to persuade to get something else?

Always fun to read your replies Marvin. I's sure you you don't mean anything by them except good natured kidding, especially since you don't seem to disagree with my take on iBeacons. 1cool.gif

By "we" I mean my wife for certain and perhaps me too. She knows nothing about the differences in smartphones and OS's so she's relying on my purchase advice when all is said and done. She just knows what color she likes. It doesn't go any deeper than that.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The biggest concern non-Apple customers will have is that they won't be able to use the term iBeacons and it will become like every Apple-branded thing before it. There will have to be knock-offs like sBeacons. Maybe one day Apple will release iHits, iLut, iNatch, iPic and then Samsung will run into trouble.

iBeacon is being used for promotion of non-Apple products already. You linked one of them. Additionally a guy in SanFran filed for a trademark on it back in 2011, but it currently lists as abandoned. You might even be able to buy the trademark rights yourself.
http://www.trademarkia.com/ibeacon-85435051.html
Edited by Gatorguy - 9/27/13 at 11:15am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It probably doesn't want to though, they just happen to be in the way. That's quite helpful as it can warn about unsavoury people nearby using the non-Apple devices here:

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices-List.aspx

Just looked at your list. It's a bit behind and omits millions of compatible Android smartphones. Even the typically slow Samsung is supposedly enabling it in the new S4's and even their old S3's sometime next month. Of course they're doing that for selfish reasons. Their smartwatch needs a Blutooth LE enabled smartphone to interface with.
Edited by Gatorguy - 9/27/13 at 11:43am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iOS 7 feature focus: Expanded Bluetooth adds support for companion devices, introduces iBeacons
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 feature focus: Expanded Bluetooth adds support for companion devices, introduces iBeacons