or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Opening weekend iPhone 5s, 5c sales may have been split 50-50, insider says

Opening weekend iPhone 5s, 5c sales may have been split 50-50, insider says - Page 2

post #41 of 111

Please don't call Kuo an "Insider."

These figures are based on his analysis, not inside information.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Yeah, I always give my kids 600 euro gifts for christmas.... not... ;)

If you do, you got your priorities wrong in my opinion.

The previous poster was probably thinking of people purchasing their kids an iPhone 5C utilizing a subsidy, something that enough countries offer that it could indeed be a very strong Xmas choice.  I already have 2 5Cs for my young daughters, but I don't plan on giving these to them until Xmas morning.  Note, therefore, the phones are not yet activated, so they wouldn't be counted in any of the methodologies that utilize post-activation data.  I wonder how many other 5C units are in a similar condition of limbo.  (Sitting on MY shelf, as opposed to on resellers' shelves.)

Thompson

post #43 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Why is it called the 5c?

Isn't it exactly the 5, with minor improvemets, but in a plastic case?

It's priced as the 5 would be priced.

It wouldn't be the first time Apple completely redesigned a case and retained the same product name, even confusingly so -- witness anyone trying to figure out which MacBook they own for support.

The iPhone 5 isn't being sold anywhere else is it?

I just don't get it. It's counter to Apple's usual simplicity of product labeling, and leads to a bunch of unnecessary suffixes. What harm comes from someone just saying they have an "iPhone 5" when referring to the 5c? Aside from the plastic case, it's virtually the exact same phone! And what happens when the iPhone 6 comes out? Will the 5c get bumped down to the "free" model and the 5s get repackaged in the plastic case and rebranded as the 5sc (or 5cs)? Talk about confusing.

Is this a prelude of things to come? Larger screens get a new model number? It's not the way Apple traditionally has done things.

First off Apple was NEVER going to sell the iPhone5 for $550.  Why?  Its just to damn expensive to make.  Margins were getting hurt last year when they sold the 5 for $650.

In a few months the cost of producing the 5C will drop.  They may then price it at $475-$500 in some of the emerging markets without sacrificing too much margins.  The real payoffs will come next year when they release the 6. 

4S - $350 - China/India only

5C - $450 - low tier

6C - $500 - 4 inch

6CL - $550 - 4.75 inch

6M - $650 - 4 inch metal

6ML - $700 - 4.75 inch

The new line up will cover all the important price points and size requirements.  By then the tech will be ready for a larger screen without compromises that Samsung suffers.

post #44 of 111
Munster said that Tim Cook is a damn liar and that Apple sold only a little more than 6 million and the rest were sitting on the Apple retail store shelves. Munster said that those iPhones may get sold and maybe they won't. Munster is sure Apple is trying to fudge iPhone sales numbers to fool investors but he swore he wasn't going to let Apple get away with it. He says he's knows Apple's sales capabilities far better than Tim Cook and by Munster's exemplary understanding of Apple's distribution methods he surmised that his estimate was much more accurate than Tim Cook's exaggerated numbers.

Gene Munster went on TV to prove he was right and Apple was wrong and he knew Tim Cook couldn't prove him wrong. Munster went on to announce his predictions about Apple almost always turned out 100% correct. If he predicted Apple would sell 6 million iPhones then it wouldn't be possible for Apple to sell millions more. Wall Street believed him and Apple's share price momentum came to an immediate halt. As a result of Munster's "proof" Apple's share price still hasn't be able to get back over $500 and YTD Apple's share price is still in negative territory.

/s
post #45 of 111
Quote:

Why is it called the 5c?
C is for color. Do I think it's different from last year's 5. Yes, yes I do. Do I care that it has same internals as the 5? No. Why does it matter. It looks and feels completely different than last years 5.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #46 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I agree. I can't see any way that the 5C outsold the 5S. Several reasons:

1. The 5S is a big step up from the previous version. The 5C is largely last year's phone in a new case. While I don't doubt that a lot of people would want to buy it, I can't imagine that many people rushing out to grab one on opening weekend. People stand in line to buy the latest gadgets. They don't stand in line to buy last year's gadget.

2. The 64 GB model has accounted for 10-25% of sales of previous phones. Lack of a 64 GB 5C puts the 5S at an advantage.

3. The price difference is modest for people in most countries (or buying unsubsidized phones in the US).

Kuo is projecting that 25% more of the 5C were sold? I don't buy it.

However, the wild card is availability. A quick check this morning found few 5S phones in stock anywhere, but most stores had at least a couple of 5C models. So it's possible that the demand for the 5S really was 3 times higher than the 5C, but there just weren't enough to meet the demand. But that doesn't sound right, either. When the iPhone 5 came out, there were endless stories about the shortages, but those stories haven't appeared this time.

In the end, I don't believe Kuo knows, but, then, neither does anyone else outside of Apple.

I don't know why there aren't endless stories about the shortage of iPhone 5S, but two things are clear:

(1) there is, in fact, such a shortage.  Just try to order one, or be prepared to plan a visit the retail location of your choice just before opening every day until you succeed, and

(2) there have been endless stories about shortages of the fingerprint sensor

I truly hope that Apple is successful in ramping up production to meet demand.  I look forward to hearing stories of that success as the weeks go by.

Thompson

post #47 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Munster said that Tim Cook is a damn liar and that Apple sold only a little more than 6 million and the rest were sitting on the Apple retail store shelves. Munster said that those iPhones may get sold and maybe they won't. Munster is sure Apple is trying to fudge iPhone sales numbers to fool investors but he swore he wasn't going to let Apple get away with it. He says he's knows Apple's sales capabilities far better than Tim Cook and by Munster's exemplary understanding of Apple's distribution methods he surmised that his estimate was much more accurate than Tim Cook's exaggerated numbers.

Gene Munster went on TV to prove he was right and Apple was wrong and he knew Tim Cook couldn't prove him wrong. Munster went on to announce his predictions about Apple almost always turned out 100% correct. If he predicted Apple would sell 6 million iPhones then it wouldn't be possible for Apple to sell millions more. Wall Street believed him and Apple's share price momentum came to an immediate halt. As a result of Munster's "proof" Apple's share price still hasn't be able to get back over $500 and YTD Apple's share price is still in negative territory.

/s

Munster's behavior really shocked me.  He has been a perma-bull for Apple for the past few years.  I have a feeling his 'backers' bought a ton of Puts or shorted the stock the Friday before.  Probably as a hedge for going long the last 12 months in Apple.  Shameful really.

post #48 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

5C - $450 - low tier
6C - $500 - 4 inch
6CL - $550 - 4.75 inch
6M - $650 - 4 inch metal
6ML - $700 - 4.75 inch
Oh holy crap!!

With that line up they might as well add Performa, Quadra, and LC to the names ... Or change their name to Apple-sung.
post #49 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ming-Chi Kuo might be able to predict new products, though he got the new MacBook Pro in June wrong, but is there any previous history to suggest he can predict specific iPhone model opening weekend sales?

No one can, because no one has a clue.

Yet, ratios like 9:1 and 8:1 have been trotted out, so why not 1:1.....

post #50 of 111

I just want Apple to start shipping the next round of 5s. At&t shows end of October to the end of November to ship :( 

post #51 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

When I went to the Apple store to buy my 5s, I asked the sales guy generally about their stock levels.  He said they had 5c's "coming out their ears" and they received "at most 20" gold 5s's.  Based on the activation and sales data I think it's a pretty good bet that virtually all the 5s's reported sold are in or in transit to customer's hands, but that there are a significant number of "sold" 5c's that are still sitting in AT&T, Verizon, etc stores and warehouses.  Nine million sold in a weekend is still an amazing feet even if a million or two of those are 5c's that have been purchased by carriers but not yet by consumers.

As a (small time) AAPL shareholder Cook and team seem to be doing a solid job.  Really impressed how well they implemented TouchID.  I do wish they would have hit the $49 on contract / $499 off contract price point on the 5c. Even though it's only $50 there is a big psychological difference between $49 and $99 and by getting below the $500 mark off contract.  I think we may see some unofficial discounts on the 5c in the coming months.

Unofficially, it seems some Chinese vendors are already discounting the 5c by 17.5%.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #52 of 111
Quote:

Oh holy crap!!

With that line up they might as well add Performa, Quadra, and LC to the names ... Or change their name to Apple-sung.

It took me a minute to get past the shock of the names and sizes, but then I noticed the pricing structure. This guy thinks that close to a 50% larger display with presumably (at least) a larger battery and larger casing would only be $50 more. On a 16:9 display we're talking 6.84"^2 v. 9.64"^2.
post #53 of 111
Quote:

Why is it called the 5c?

Isn't it exactly the 5, with minor improvemets, but in a plastic case?

It's priced as the 5 would be priced.

It wouldn't be the first time Apple completely redesigned a case and retained the same product name, even confusingly so -- witness anyone trying to figure out which MacBook they own for support.

The iPhone 5 isn't being sold anywhere else is it?

I just don't get it. It's counter to Apple's usual simplicity of product labeling, and leads to a bunch of unnecessary suffixes. What harm comes from someone just saying they have an "iPhone 5" when referring to the 5c? Aside from the plastic case, it's virtually the exact same phone! And what happens when the iPhone 6 comes out? Will the 5c get bumped down to the "free" model and the 5s get repackaged in the plastic case and rebranded as the 5sc (or 5cs)? Talk about confusing.

Is this a prelude of things to come? Larger screens get a new model number? It's not the way Apple traditionally has done things.

The 5C isn't the 5. Some better internals in it. It's easier to say 5C rather than 2013 iPhone 5.
post #54 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Yeah, I always give my kids 600 euro gifts for christmas.... not... ;)

If you do, you got your priorities wrong in my opinion.

That or financial headroom

(And by the way, if the kids are on some kind of family plan, the cost is about 100 $ up front with 2 year commitment)

post #55 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

C is for color.
"C" is for cheap. It was a bad choice, in my opinion. They should have just left it iPhone 5, and marketed it as the same great iPhone with a stylish new look. Plus it deviates from Apple's standard product naming convention.

I still can't figure out the road map for it and how the plastic case is going to save them that much money in the long run, considering the retooling and redesign setup costs.

So the iPhone 5c moves down to the "free" model when the iPhone 6 comes out. So do they repackage the 5s in plastic, or offer it as is, since it will have a completely different appearance to the 6 and 5c? If they leave it alone, what happens when the 6s comes out? Do they repackage the 6 in a new plastic case as the 6c, and drop 5s to the free phone as is? Or do they repackage it in the 5c case (essentially upgrading the 5c)? This keeps the same plastic case in rotation for 3 years instead of two, which certainly saves them money in design costs which are every two years at present. But is the idea to keep 3 price points in the market place differentiated by appearance, and if so, how do they differentiate the 5s & 5c plastic cases (if it even matters); or just keep costs down with plastic? Perhaps in 3 years plastic won't necessarily save them that much money, and they can just roll with the current iPod colored metal housing option (if they still want to offer colors).

The whole exercise is just curious to me ...
post #56 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The 5C isn't the 5. Some better internals in it. It's easier to say 5C rather than 2013 iPhone 5.
Too bad Apple didnt figure this out with the MacBooks. It would be a whole lot easier to say MacBookC than Mid-2012 13" Core i7 MacBook, especially if that was also printed on the product as is the 5c.

You see why I say this deviates from Apples standard naming protocol.

The iPod Touch doesn't do this, either. It's not the iPod Touch C, it's the iPod 5th Generation 2013 16GB model (which has similar internal (and external) changes to Touch.

So it's inconsistent and will eventually lead to confusion as sog35 demonstrates above.
post #57 of 111
Quote:

Quote:

C is for color.
"C" is for cheap. It was a bad choice, in my opinion. .
Let's see if your opinion changes once we get some more data on sales. I think "c" is for either color or clever. It's certainly not for cheap. I can't recall anyone being so excited to buy last years phone before. Do you?
post #58 of 111
Quote:

"C" is for cheap. It was a bad choice, in my opinion. They should have just left it iPhone 5, and marketed it as the same great iPhone with a stylish new look. Plus it deviates from Apple's standard product naming convention.

I still can't figure out the road map for it and how the plastic case is going to save them that much money in the long run, considering the retooling and redesign setup costs.

So the iPhone 5c moves down to the "free" model when the iPhone 6 comes out. So do they repackage the 5s in plastic, or offer it as is, since it will have a completely different appearance to the 6 and 5c? If they leave it alone, what happens when the 6s comes out? Do they repackage the 6 in a new plastic case as the 6c, and drop 5s to the free phone as is? Or do they repackage it in the 5c case (essentially upgrading the 5c)? This keeps the same plastic case in rotation for 3 years instead of two, which certainly saves them money in design costs which are every two years at present. But is the idea to keep 3 price points in the market place differentiated by appearance, and if so, how do they differentiate the 5s & 5c plastic cases (if it even matters); or just keep costs down with plastic? Perhaps in 3 years plastic won't necessarily save them that much money, and they can just roll with the current iPod colored metal housing option (if they still want to offer colors).

The whole exercise is just curious to me ...

I was wondering about that last week. It seems like it's going to get very confusing next year. Unless they bring back the 5 and offer it in place of the 4s and then just update the 5c internals... or they.... oh, forget it...  lol

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #59 of 111
Quote:

Let's see if your opinion changes once we get some more data on sales. I think "c" is for either color or clever. It's certainly not for cheap. I can't recall anyone being so excited to buy last years phone before. Do you?

I can't even recall anyone being excited about buying this year's phone...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #60 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Somewhere around 9 million people beg to differ!

post #61 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Somewhere around 9 million people beg to differ!

We're talking about the 5c.

Keep focused.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #62 of 111
Quote:

Looks like you've been waking up on the wrong side of the bed a lot lately...

I used to enjoy your posts. Too bad.

post #63 of 111
Quote:

We're talking about the 5c.

Keep focused.

Have it your way! 4-5 million!

post #64 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Have it your way! 4-5 million!

LOL!

Sure, right!

Anything you say.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #65 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

I don't think they were anywhere near evenly split. I saw people walk when the 5s ran out, rather than get a 5c. A lot of people were even upgrading from the 5, for which a 5c would've been a down grade. There is an audience for the 5c, but it isn't one that would stand in line or make a great effort towards getting the phone on the first roll out. Okay, I'm sure there was a small percentage willing to move to last years model with the price drop, but the vast majority of early adopters are knowledgeable enough about the product line, to know they wanted the 5s. And since there are no 5s' left and there are 5c's, I don't see his conclusion of a 50/50 split as a reasonable one.

I would say you are correct when talking about phones in the hands for consumers but the 5c seems to be over stocked at retailers so a large portion of the sales of the 5c were just into the channel. Plenty of reports over the opening weekend from retailers stating they sold hardly any, if at all. For the 5s it sold out so the number into the channel is the same as the number sold to consumers.

post #66 of 111

It seems to me that Apple went from this lineup strategy:

Budget (i.e 8GB only),  Outgoing Model (last year's Elite with less margin), Elite Model (latest innovations).

To this lineup strategy:

Budget (i.e. 8GB only), Fun Model (all about the looks at this point), Elite Model (latest innovations and specs).

I think it was a smart move and it did not have much to do with saving money, instead I think it has a lot more to do with making the middle range device appealing to a different set of people for which it did not appeal to before.

For me, with the old line up strategy I was never compelled to upgrade to last year's model. It just does not make much sense with carrier sub., especially when I know I can sell my 2 year old Elite model for about the same or more as what it cost me to upgrade in the first place. Why would I just not get the latest Elite model again? I am not saving anything and the outgoing model offers me nothing more or different than the latest Elite model.  So do I care the last year's model is $100 cheaper than the latest Elite model? No, why would I? It makes no sense what so ever for anyone on contract. 

However, I can see the Fun model being a different value proposition. It offers something the Elite model does not. It's a fun fashion statement at this point. Something the Elite model does not attempt to do in the same way as the 5c.  So it may appeal to people in a way that last year's Elite model does not.   I seriously considered the Yellow or Green one vs buying the 5s. That thought would have never entered my mind if it was simply last year's Elite model.    THIS...THIS point right here is what makes the C, compelling.  Its not the 5. Its a different value proposition and makes it more compelling than simply last year's Elite model.

It will be interesting to see what Apples does with the Fun Model next year.   I don't think it will just be about the internals spec bumps.. its going to have to be about something people can immediately see and appreciate at first sight compared to this year's fun model.  Apple needs to make it even more compelling and make it stand apart even further from the Elite model.   Apple is like BMW building a Mini Cooper image with the C, while still making Bimmers with the S line.  It not just about the internals or saving money on the construction, its about a different kind of appeal and value proposition while keeping margins healthy for both types of products. 

post #67 of 111
Quote:

I've talked to a few people I know. I've asked them if they are excited about the 5c. They said, "no". Some even mentioned that they had discussed it with their friends. They didn't seem to be excited either.

Do you have any proof other than your own anecdotal evidence to prove that people are excited about the 5c?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #68 of 111
Quote:

I've talked to a few people I know. I've asked them if they are excited about the 5c. They said, "no". Some even mentioned that they had discussed it with their friends. They didn't seem to be excited either.

Do you have any proof other than your own anecdotal evidence to prove that people are excited about the 5c?

Mr Cook said demand for the 5C was amazing.  And I beleive him since they were out of stock after 2 days of pre-orders.  Your hatred for the 5C is not healthy.  For some reason you believe everyone needs to think just like you.  The truth is millions of people CHOOSE the 5C because they love it.

post #69 of 111
Quote:

Too bad Apple didnt figure this out with the MacBooks. It would be a whole lot easier to say MacBookC than Mid-2012 13" Core i7 MacBook, especially if that was also printed on the product as is the 5c.

You see why I say this deviates from Apples standard naming protocol.

The iPod Touch doesn't do this, either. It's not the iPod Touch C, it's the iPod 5th Generation 2013 16GB model (which has similar internal (and external) changes to Touch.

So it's inconsistent and will eventually lead to confusion as sog35 demonstrates above.

Actually Apple just calls it the iPod touch, iMac, MacBook.

If Apple really want to stick to its naming format, the iPhone will be iPhone for all generations. Of course then people would get confused when it continued selling the previous year's version.
Quote:

Statistically speaking, your sample size/selection is too small to have any meaning.
post #70 of 111
Quote:

Mr Cook said demand for the 5C was amazing.  And I beleive him since they were out of stock after 2 days of pre-orders.  Your hatred for the 5C is not healthy.  For some reason you believe everyone needs to think just like you.  The truth is millions of people CHOOSE the 5C because they love it.

Unhealthy? Your love of the 5c is not healthy. See what I did there.

For some reason you believe everyone needs to think just like you. See what I did there.

Millions? Let's see some hard numbers. I was asked for some hard numbers and when I couldn't give hard numbers (as I had already said) then I was dissed. So, until you have some hard numbers your opinion is no more valid than mine.

You'll have to do better than that.

For what it's worth. I neither love nor hate the 5c. It is an object. An object that anecdotal evidence says is not an explosive seller like the 5s. As I said to Jragosta... I have not called it a flop. I have only said that it appears not to be selling as well as some predicted it would.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #71 of 111
Quote:

Unhealthy? Your love of the 5c is not healthy. See what I did there.

For some reason you believe everyone needs to think just like you. See what I did there.

Millions? Let's see some hard numbers. I was asked for some hard numbers and when I couldn't give hard numbers (as I had already said) then I was dissed. So, until you have some hard numbers your opinion is no more valid than mine.

You'll have to do better than that.

For what it's worth. I neither love nor hate the 5c. It is an object. An object that anecdotal evidence says is not an explosive seller like the 5s. As I said to Jragosta... I have not called it a flop. I have only said that it appears not to be selling as well as some predicted it would.

Selling well compared to what? iPhone 5S? iPhone 4S (yoy)? android phones?

If it's the first, then no sh1t. The latest and greatest from Apple will always be #1. They are primarily targeting two different groups with a little overlap.
post #72 of 111
Sometimes I wonder if anyone who writes for this publication has a brain.

Let's see if any of the bright readers who can do a bit of math can put this together:

1. This analyst claims that of the 9 million units sold, approximately half were the 5s and half were the 5c.

2. Usage data suggest that approximately 78% of the phones tracked were 5s and 22% were 5c.

3. The analyst mentions that there is a difference between sell-in and sell-through, but this article doesn't try to explain what the significance is or even come close to understanding why this is significant.

4. An Apple bull suggests that the 'real' sales were closer to 5.5 million units.
post #73 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Sometimes I wonder if anyone who writes for this publication has a brain.

Let's see if any of the bright readers who can do a bit of math can put this together:

1. This analyst claims that of the 9 million units sold, approximately half were the 5s and half were the 5c.

2. Usage data suggest that approximately 78% of the phones tracked were 5s and 22% were 5c.

3. The analyst mentions that there is a difference between sell-in and sell-through, but this article doesn't try to explain what the significance is or even come close to understanding why this is significant.

4. An Apple bull suggests that the 'real' sales were closer to 5.5 million units.

something tells me you are about to "school" everyone here.

post #74 of 111

Thread redirect:

I visited a highly-visible third-part accessory retailer earlier this week (in a well-trafficked venue).  The proprietor sells for all popular mobile devices, but his inventory is Apple-heavy.

So we got into a conversation about the new phones, and he insisted, with a straight face, that:

- The 5c is vastly slower than last year's 5, and in fact, they put a downgraded processor in it;

- The "c" stands for Cheap;

- In summary, don't buy the 5c.

I excused myself without getting into it with him, but still, I wonder... where is that mindset coming from?  And how much is "anti-buzz" like this affecting 5c sales?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #75 of 111

The name calling herein is getting a bit much. Chill, everyone.

post #76 of 111
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

How dare you, sir! I’ll strike you with a piece of paper!

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #77 of 111
Quote:

My guess?

6 Million 5S sold

3 Million 5C

500,000 5C at non-Apple stores

6 Millions 5S orders not shipped

1 Million 5C orders not shipped

If there were zero supply constraints I'd bet they would have sold over 15 Mil phones.

Hmmm, I would tweak to:

6.5M 5s sold (almost nil in channel)

2.5M 5c sold (of which 500k in non-Apple retail store channel)

I doubt there's 6M 5s on order, probably a bit less.  Same with 5c orders, probably less than 1M on order (and not shipped).

Appears Apple is keeping up with 5c demand and probably weeks of inventory building up in certain colors.

I think we all agree that 5s demand is greater than last year, so no question that 5s demand will sustain thru Dec. 

The real story is whether 5c demand will sustain thru Dec (and beyond).  If 5c demand is strong thru Dec, this will be a HUGE win for Apple...because it means that Apple is indeed increasing market share "stealing" from competitors in the middle and middle/high end smart phones.

post #78 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Selling well compared to what? iPhone 5S? iPhone 4S (yoy)? android phones?

If it's the first, then no sh1t. The latest and greatest from Apple will always be #1. They are primarily targeting two different groups with a little overlap.

Some people have claimed it would be a blow out hit. Compared to that.

Even you have not shown me any hard figures to show it is selling as well as the 4s did in the same position last year.

The question I have to ask is, "Why did Apple build the 5c instead of just offering us the 5, in keeping with the line-ups from other years?"

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #79 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Name calling?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #80 of 111
Quote:

The question I have to ask is, "Why did Apple build the 5c instead of just offering us the 5, in keeping with the line-ups from other years?"

- create product differentiation from the 5s (reduces cannibalization and customer confusion)

- better profit margin

- believes that customers prefer a new phone than an old phone

- colors are cool

- plastic: some actually prefer plastic and also it will compete directly with competitors offerings

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Opening weekend iPhone 5s, 5c sales may have been split 50-50, insider says